Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2016 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brayshaw's draft stocks are on the rise.

Mid year I would have dismissed Brayshaw as someone who might go undrafted but since July his play forward of centre has been impressive.

He can come into the mix mid draft and looks like a probable national draft choice.
Watching him against Bendigo a few weeks ago what really impressed was his leadership and work rate up forward he was easily the loudest and most constructive player on the ground.

Hey KM, bit off topic, but have you paid any attention to Ryan Burton in his VFL/AFL games? If so, what're your thoughts on him?

Hey KM, bit off topic, but have you paid any attention to Ryan Burton in his VFL/AFL games? If so, what're your thoughts on him?

Has only played the 7 games between the two levels but has fit in without starring at AFL level and has also performed well in the VFL.

Looks developable and like he has a good chance to make the grade.

As a GC supporter, so there is bias here - You can't expect a young, premium player by offloading a C-grade player like Edwards and a late pick (would have to be 3rd round as you already traded your second round). That would be like asking for Dustin Martin and offering Brandon Matera and pick 40.
Can't see Richmond keeping pick 6 if your recruiters are serious about Prestia - In saying that though, you're better off with Prestia than pick 6 anyway. Just having a high draft pick doesn't guarantee a good player. Think Oakley-Nicholls (Pick 8), Tambling (Pick 4), Conca (Pick 6), Vickery (Pick 8), and Lennon (Pick 12) in the past decade
i never said it will happen just the club is looking to try and keep 6 because we feel we are a chance of getting a kid ranked in the top 3 of the draft. suns are asking for experienced players so we are offering edwards/ellis. anyway i still think it will probably be for a first next year. anyway lots of bullshit being spoken this time of the year at the end of the day a deal will be done because clubs don't think like fans do. prestia nominated us its in both clubs interest to get it done easy. also we stepped in and helped you get better compo last year for dixon there will be some good will between both clubs

Do you think that Corey Lyons' season would have pushed him into the top 50 of the draft? Or would he still be more likely to get a rookie spot?

hi KM, a bit of talk on the lions board re the possibility of us getting a PP. if we were to get it and it was pick 1, considering there seems to be no clear cut number 1 and the draft is described as very even at the top end.

A) keep the PP and have picks 1, 3, 21 and 29. eg. McCluggage, Ainsworth, Taranto and Bolton.

or) if possible trade the PP to the suns for picks 5 and 9. leaving us with.

B) 3, 5, 9, 21, and 29. eg. Ainsworth, McGrath, Venables, Taranto and Bolton.

which option would you go for if you were on the lions list management team?

hi KM, a bit of talk on the lions board re the possibility of us getting a PP. if we were to get it and it was pick 1, considering there seems to be no clear cut number 1 and the draft is described as very even at the top end.

A) keep the PP and have picks 1, 3, 21 and 29. eg. McCluggage, Ainsworth, Taranto and Bolton.

Will never be 1, will be after your first if anything so pick 3 not that it matters a heap this year.

Personally don't think you need one or deserve one either not finishing bottom the last two years.

Will never be 1, will be after your first if anything so pick 3 not that it matters a heap this year.

Personally don't think you need one or deserve one either not finishing bottom the last two years.
no worries, not really a discussion for this thread, i have had my say on the PP question in more appropriate threads.

this i just a purely hypothetical question not one of rights and wrongs.

Hi Knightmare, North Melbourne supporter here, our 1st pick is looking like being around Pick 11-15 at this stage, any idea who might be a likely type in that range? North are really desperate for a quick inside/outside mid with good skills, particularly with Daniel Wells a chance to leave the club. A few guys who look like fitting that description are Andrew McGrath and Daniel Venables, but what are your thoughts on who we would be looking at/ likely to get?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With news that Ben Jarman is set to nominate the Hawks would you be kind enough to let us know a little about him mate?

How's he looked over the course of the year?

Small forward with some mid capabilities?

Any insights are much appreciated in advance

Jarman can play midfield and forward. Very good ball user. Very clean at ground level and has some evasiveness. He is sub 180cm so probably is most appropriate at AFL level to play forward.

Has performed well this season.

What's your current top 10 based on Clubs needs

Might complete something along these lines for after the finals.

Do you think that Corey Lyons' season would have pushed him into the top 50 of the draft? Or would he still be more likely to get a rookie spot?

Lyons is a late/rookie chance (but not certainty). Unlikely to sneak into the top 50.

Knight. How are the underagers looking this year and what stort of draft (talls/rucks/mids/backs) etc.. can we expect next year? Any real elite kids that are out and out standouts yet?

Next year looks great for talls. Lots of key forwards/ruckmen.

Some of the good ones to get an early feel for some of the top end 2017 prospects I mentioned in my 10 burning questions in July included:
James Worpel (Victorian - midfielder), Lochie O'Brien(Victorian - midfielder), Callum Coleman-Jones (South Australian - key forward/ruckman), Connor Ballenden (Brisbane Academy - key forward/ruckman), Sam Hayes (Victorian - key forward/ruckman), Charlie Spargo (GWS Academy - midfielder), Jack Higgins (Victorian - midfielder),Hunter Clark (Victorian - general defender), Luke Davies-Uniacke(Victorian - midfielder), Jaidyn Stephenson (Victorian - forward) andTyrone Hayes (Victorian - midfielder).

My list has changed since and I may update this at seasons end. But they're all looking like good prospects for 2017 early days.

I'm not convinced Gold Coast would trade those early picks to move up.

I favour quantity of 1st round and certainly top 10 selections over how high the pick is.

I'd shift pick 1 in the hypothetical.

If a Todd Marshall and someone else can be added. That's some pieces accumulating for the future.

Hi Knightmare, North Melbourne supporter here, our 1st pick is looking like being around Pick 11-15 at this stage, any idea who might be a likely type in that range? North are really desperate for a quick inside/outside mid with good skills, particularly with Daniel Wells a chance to leave the club. A few guys who look like fitting that description are Andrew McGrath and Daniel Venables, but what are your thoughts on who we would be looking at/ likely to get?

McGrath is expected to go top 10.

Daniel Venables, Tim Taranto and Jarrod Berry could be some considered in that range.

Sam Powell-Pepper and Jordan Gallucci could be a couple of others considered.

All have pace to varying levels and could be list fits.

Gday Knightmare, any idea where/if Mitch Lewis from the Calder cannons ranks on draft boards?
Late draft chance perhaps?

Gday Knightmare, any idea where/if Mitch Lewis from the Calder cannons ranks on draft boards?
Late draft chance perhaps?

Was terrific v Gippsland late season with 33 disposals, 13 marks and four goals.

State combine invite and a draft chance. If picked probably a late/rookie chance, but definitely in the mix.

From reading km's post above, is it fair to assume that WA talent next season will be thin.

We're abouts do you expect Powell-Pepper to fall knightmare? Very similar feels to the season we drafted sheed WCE are fans and SPP is a big fan and is pretty keen to be picked upped by us if possible can't see us passing if avaible, thoughts?

From reading km's post above, is it fair to assume that WA talent next season will be thin.
Not KM but more than next year to worry about try the next couple . WA only managed to get 5 kids across the two academy squads , quick Google will give you who but will have one WA Academy kid up for drafting next year. Being selected in the academy does not guarantee drafting I think those drafted sits in low 80s% . But is certainly a recognition of perceived ability and these kids have extensive time and $$ invested in their development . They also have reports from Academy across all aspects including test performance and character readily available to clubs . This helps draft time when clubs are already armed with Beep test, 3 k , sprint , skin fold history , 20metre speed etc .
Talking to some recruiters they expect this years crop to be best for some years, and a few years ahead .

We're abouts do you expect Powell-Pepper to fall knightmare? Very similar feels to the season we drafted sheed WCE are fans and SPP is a big fan and is pretty keen to be picked upped by us if possible can't sus passing if avaible, thoughts?
We're abouts do you expect Powell-Pepper to fall knightmare? Very similar feels to the season we drafted sheed WCE are fans and SPP is a big fan and is pretty keen to be picked upped by us if possible can't see us passing if avaible, thoughts?
Good luck to Eagles, Gold Coast like him and already have huge number picks inside 30 , let alone what might come thier way with 3 of their top rank players wanting elsewhere .
Tomorrows elimination final in WAFL will be watched closely , East Perth severly depleted by Eagles finals involvement vs Peel topped up by Fremsntke players where the season is over . Most likely will be in a team that cops hiding by list commentators thoughts . Loves the hard physical stuff might have to either stand up front and "watch" or coach might use his love of pressure and tackle to shore up defence if the expected purple wave comes. Live in Seven for those in WA

Good luck to Eagles, Gold Coast like him and already have huge number picks inside 30 , let alone what might come thier way with 3 of their top rank players wanting elsewhere .
Tomorrows elimination final in WAFL will be watched closely , East Perth severly depleted by Eagles finals involvement vs Peel topped up by Fremsntke players where the season is over . Most likely will be in a team that cops hiding by list commentators thoughts . Loves the hard physical stuff might have to either stand up front and "watch" or coach might use his love of pressure and tackle to shore up defence if the expected purple wave comes. Live in Seven for those in WA
my guess Eagles might use pick one for him, will certainly use pick 2 if he is still around. Maybe much will depend on what the Eagles need to do to shore up ruckman stocks with knowledge NN out for next year . Will chase Rory Lobbe

Hey KM, Just finished watching Rebels vs Falcons. Willem Drew again best for Nth Ballarat. This guy has huge upside in my opinion. Where do you have him going??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back