Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2016 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From reading km's post above, is it fair to assume that WA talent next season will be thin.

Next year is a weaker group of WA prospects, at least up the top end there are less options at this stage.

We're abouts do you expect Powell-Pepper to fall knightmare? Very similar feels to the season we drafted sheed WCE are fans and SPP is a big fan and is pretty keen to be picked upped by us if possible can't see us passing if avaible, thoughts?

Probably second round selection is my best guess at this stage.

Love his impact. May be considered by WCE but expect others to be rated higher by WCE in the 1st round. If there 2nd round WCE would have to strongly consider.

Hey KM, Just finished watching Rebels vs Falcons. Willem Drew again best for Nth Ballarat. This guy has huge upside in my opinion. Where do you have him going??

I like Drew a lot. He might feature somewhere in the second round.

He is moving up my power rankings (which will be going up on ESPN early week). I'm just finalising how high he'll be moving up my draft board.

Like him a lot. So hard at the footy (contested ball winning and tackling beast). Good height. Not slow. Very quick hands. Able mark and can kick some goals. There is a lot to work with.

How'd mcclug go?

Not as prominent as he often is. Worked hard, but not his usual numbers.

Manage to watch Jacob Dawson yet KM? Few of us on the Suns board think he could be a first round prospect. He's got very good skills at senior level for 16 year old and can find the ball.

Manage to watch Jacob Dawson yet KM? Few of us on the Suns board think he could be a first round prospect. He's got very good skills at senior level for 16 year old and can find the ball.

Mention Dawson more weeks than not in my weekly wraps.

Not sure he is a sure thing to be a first round prospect yet. But looks good for 2017.

Would be in my top 30 for 2017 if I was to make a top 30 today.

Hey Knightmare - What would you do if you were WC list manager this year?
Knowing our weaknesses then who would you draft?

This looks to be the year for extra picks of reasonable value due to the strong WA representation and quality of midfielders.
I'm thinking along the lines of trade EMac + Masten for 2nd rounders, try and upgrade some of our later picks too.

I'm curious to see what you would do and what you think any players you'd trade are worth.

Last edited:
Hey Km, not to sure whether you've answered this question in the past, but was just wondering where you think Hugh McCluggage would have gone exactly had he been in last year's draft?

Hey Knightmare - What would you do if you were WC list manager this year?
Knowing our weaknesses then who would you draft?

This looks to be the year for extra picks of reasonable value due to the strong WA representation and quality of midfielders.
I'm thinking along the lines of trade EMac + Masten for 2nd rounders, try and upgrade some of our later picks too.

I'm curious to see what you would do and what you think any players you'd trade are worth.

Looking at the age of many of the clubs better players, I'd look to build with the view to peak in 2018-2019 with those years when Naitanui is back the potential years the club can contend.

I don't believe this is a draft where so many picks are required.

Mackenzie I feel still can be a very good key defender and with another preseason I expect to be much better than he has been this season.

Masten if he can get a second round pick I'd move.

Tom Lamb also nets you likely a late pick.

Brent Harvey I'd recommend all teams target and as a list fit is perfect for WCE. Still has his pace. Best kick/decision maker in the game. Still provides heavy scoreboard impact and finds plenty of the ball. Hasn't missed a game this season. He can go another 2-3 years if motivated the way he looks. Still a top 40 player in the game for mine.

Marley Williams is someone I'd target if Collingwood are willing to trade him. He is one of the strongest ground ball winners in the game and is so strong in the 1v1 contests. He also has excellent speed and agility. As a component down back he is a good immediate piece who can be around for some time.

I'd also knock on GWS' door and enquire about the availability of several of their younger boys. Rory Lobb as a relieving ruckman who mostly plays forward is already a monster and would be a great upgrade and allow Lycett eventually to be traded to one of the SA clubs. Cam McCarthy also if he can be accommodated in the front half may represent value after the promise he showed in 2015 if all is well with him. Maybe a Rhys Palmer or one of their depth midfielders can be thrown into a deal. I'd overall be looking for where the value is and who projects as a best 22 player.

Willem Drew would be the player I'd target through the draft as something like an eventual Priddis replacement. If WCE have an early second round pick that would be optimal to use on Drew, but if there is a feeling he won't be there at the clubs second round pick, get him 1st round.

Dan Allsop as a rookie I'd target a crumber - he is freakishly clean at ground level and always first to the ball. Pressure game good and gives second and third efforts. With a few years of development (needs strengths/endurance/more consistent skills/finishing) can come good - but that's why he is probably there as a rookie.

The other picks can be pretty easily best available and just capitalise on the value there.

Hey Km, not to sure whether you've answered this question in the past, but was just wondering where you think Hugh McCluggage would have gone exactly had he been in last year's draft?

3-5.

KM! Port Adelaide... Try and give me something to look forward to during the draft.. What do we honestly do with pick 9? Has to be a tall forward surely? If marshall is gone, is battle worth a top 10 pick? If we manage to hold someone to ransom for another top 10 pick (if some club wants hartlett that bad), what would we do then? Cheers

KM! Port Adelaide... Try and give me something to look forward to during the draft.. What do we honestly do with pick 9? Has to be a tall forward surely? If marshall is gone, is battle worth a top 10 pick? If we manage to hold someone to ransom for another top 10 pick (if some club wants hartlett that bad), what would we do then? Cheers

Marshall is expected to be gone by pick 9.

Battle probably isn't worth pick 10, but if there in the second round would be a good get.

Hartlett may get Port Adelaide a pick in the 10-15 range if I'm to guess.

Next year is the year with all the key forwards in the first round. Unless Battle is there in the second round Port probably would be best to wait unless a chance is taken on a Ratugolea as a smokie later in the draft.

As for what should be done with Port's first round pick. Best available is always my recommendation with a view to take the best available slider if there is one - perhaps Tim English may be there. Or if not then maybe a Daniel Venables or Tim Taranto are considered as fwd/mids.

Marshall is expected to be gone by pick 9.

Battle probably isn't worth pick 10, but if there in the second round would be a good get.

Hartlett may get Port Adelaide a pick in the 10-15 range if I'm to guess.

Next year is the year with all the key forwards in the first round. Unless Battle is there in the second round Port probably would be best to wait unless a chance is taken on a Ratugolea as a smokie later in the draft.

As for what should be done with Port's first round pick. Best available is always my recommendation with a view to take the best available slider if there is one - perhaps Tim English may be there. Or if not then maybe a Daniel Venables or Tim Taranto are considered as fwd/mids.

I am always hesitant to go for rucks early, but grundy is a constant reminder that sometimes its worth a punt. I see english as more of a bolter than a slider though!

I like venables, but i would like to steer clear of the 'slashies', and go for a genuine mid, if a genuine tall forward is not available.

We would need to get a second round pick, before we consider anything!

Hey KM, if Hill does go to Freo this year around what pick do you think he's worth?
Also which players do you think we should target with our 1st rounder, are there any players you think would fill some list holes in the draft or would a better approach be to try and get established talent through a trade? Thanks

Knightmare you legend! Been reading your stuff for years! im a Richmond supporter and want to know what I'm looking forward to in this trade period? Is lids gone?

I am always hesitant to go for rucks early, but grundy is a constant reminder that sometimes its worth a punt. I see english as more of a bolter than a slider though!

I like venables, but i would like to steer clear of the 'slashies', and go for a genuine mid, if a genuine tall forward is not available.

We would need to get a second round pick, before we consider anything!

I personally wouldn't go English so early but the rumours have been that he is a strong chance to go somewhere inside the top 10.

For genuine mids, while Port may be selecting a bit early. Willem Drew and Dylan Clarke are the genuine mids I'd recommend targeting. Either may be there early second round, so moving down may be a consideration for Port if not super keen on those projecting to be best availables. Perhaps something like a two early second round picks or a late 1st round and second round pick are gained in exchange for the clubs first round pick.

Hey KM, if Hill does go to Freo this year around what pick do you think he's worth?
Also which players do you think we should target with our 1st rounder, are there any players you think would fill some list holes in the draft or would a better approach be to try and get established talent through a trade? Thanks

Stephen Hill might net Fremantle something around pick 10-15 or an equivalent level player.

In Fremantle's situation, I'd strongly recommend Fremantle make the point of being GWS' best trading partner. Go all out to get Rory Lobb and Cam McCarthy in a package and see if more good young pieces can be added in a big package deal. Maybe one of their key defenders can also be pried loose. While Michael Walters I rate as one of the best certainly five small forwards in the game, he is the name I could see GWS opening up a deal of this kind for if offered as part of a deal along with picks.

Marley Williams as another name I feel is being underrated by Collingwood people. Beast of a ground ball winner who consistently wins the 50/50 balls. Wins all his 1v1s. Can prove run and carry and has a mean sidestep. I also like his scope to play other positions beyond just playing back if given the opportunity. If he can be had for a second round pick he'd be a great get.

If no deal along those lines happens. With the clubs first round choice Todd Marshall makes a lot of sense as a key forward to build around. Sam Petrevski-Seton would also be a suitable and popular choice among WA viewers. Josh Battle in the second round as another key forward if there would also be suitable for selection and a good get. Then from there it's up to the Freo recruiters to say who they like.

Knightmare you legend! Been reading your stuff for years! im a Richmond supporter and want to know what I'm looking forward to in this trade period? Is lids gone?

Vickery probably gets traded with Hawthorn being spoken about as a probable destination. Ben Lennon also I expect moves elsewhere. And neither are big losses.

Deledio and Riewoldt are the two "name players" being spoken about as possible movers. Either may be considered in trade deals, I don't have any inside word. But my feel is either/or/both may be considered if it's the right deal. If I'm Richmond, I'd keep both, and they may well both be back next year. Established player for pick trades go the way of the team gaining the established player (roughly 75% of the time) so I'm never a fan of giving up quality players. It's important for winning, young player development and for keeping fans coming through the gates.
If Deledio goes it is recognition that his body lacks the durability it once did.

Richmond likely will be stocking up on picks for the most part with Dion Prestia the most likely "name" to join Richmond - perhaps for the clubs 1st round selection - with some shuffling of late picks to satisfy both parties.

Jarrod Witts also is a logical trade target and may be available for Richmond's second round selection. He had 59, 62 and 52 hitouts v Port Melbourne, Box Hill and Footscray in August (with 3 goals, and an average of 20 disposals, six tackles and just short of marks from those games). v Williamstown while I don't have his numbers he was also among Collingwood's bests in the win. So he is an obvious, ready to go ruckman and one who with Brodie Grundy becoming a best five in the game ruckman, isn't really a shot to get a game anymore as like Grundy another genuine number one ruckman. So he is getable and if he can be had for Richmond's second round pick would be a great pickup from a Richmond perspective. I'd prefer Collingwood not lose him, but I don't see behind Grundy why he would want to stay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I personally wouldn't go English so early but the rumours have been that he is a strong chance to go somewhere inside the top 10.

For genuine mids, while Port may be selecting a bit early. Willem Drew and Dylan Clarke are the genuine mids I'd recommend targeting. Either may be there early second round, so moving down may be a consideration for Port if not super keen on those projecting to be best availables. Perhaps something like a two early second round picks or a late 1st round and second round pick are gained in exchange for the clubs first round pick.

Stephen Hill might net Fremantle something around pick 10-15 or an equivalent level player.

In Fremantle's situation, I'd strongly recommend Fremantle make the point of being GWS' best trading partner. Go all out to get Rory Lobb and Cam McCarthy in a package and see if more good young pieces can be added in a big package deal. Maybe one of their key defenders can also be pried loose. While Michael Walters I rate as one of the best certainly five small forwards in the game, he is the name I could see GWS opening up a deal of this kind for if offered as part of a deal along with picks.

Marley Williams as another name I feel is being underrated by Collingwood people. Beast of a ground ball winner who consistently wins the 50/50 balls. Wins all his 1v1s. Can prove run and carry and has a mean sidestep. I also like his scope to play other positions beyond just playing back if given the opportunity. If he can be had for a second round pick he'd be a great get.

If no deal along those lines happens. With the clubs first round choice Todd Marshall makes a lot of sense as a key forward to build around. Sam Petrevski-Seton would also be a suitable and popular choice among WA viewers. Josh Battle in the second round as another key forward if there would also be suitable for selection and a good get. Then from there it's up to the Freo recruiters to say who they like.

Vickery probably gets traded with Hawthorn being spoken about as a probable destination. Ben Lennon also I expect moves elsewhere. And neither are big losses.

Deledio and Riewoldt are the two "name players" being spoken about as possible movers. Either may be considered in trade deals, I don't have any inside word. But my feel is either/or/both may be considered if it's the right deal. If I'm Richmond, I'd keep both, and they may well both be back next year. Established player for pick trades go the way of the team gaining the established player (roughly 75% of the time) so I'm never a fan of giving up quality players. It's important for winning, young player development and for keeping fans coming through the gates.
If Deledio goes it is recognition that his body lacks the durability it once did.

Richmond likely will be stocking up on picks for the most part with Dion Prestia the most likely "name" to join Richmond - perhaps for the clubs 1st round selection - with some shuffling of late picks to satisfy both parties.

Jarrod Witts also is a logical trade target and may be available for Richmond's second round selection. He had 59, 62 and 52 hitouts v Port Melbourne, Box Hill and Footscray in August (with 3 goals, and an average of 20 disposals, six tackles and just short of marks from those games). v Williamstown while I don't have his numbers he was also among Collingwood's bests in the win. So he is an obvious, ready to go ruckman and one who with Brodie Grundy becoming a best five in the game ruckman, isn't really a shot to get a game anymore as like Grundy another genuine number one ruckman. So he is getable and if he can be had for Richmond's second round pick would be a great pickup from a Richmond perspective. I'd prefer Collingwood not lose him, but I don't see behind Grundy why he would want to stay.
Think it was brad hill he was talking about going to freo..
Also think you overate Marley williams

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Think it was brad hill he was talking about going to freo..
Also think you overate Marley williams

Obviously getting tired after a full weekend of games.

Brad Hill may be worth somewhere around pick 15-20 now.

If Fremantle can get away with giving up only the clubs 2nd round pick would be on a winner.

If Fremantle can get away with giving up only the clubs 2nd round pick would be on a winner.
I agree on brad hill and I couldn't see freo too eager to pay their first

Interested in your thoughts on Battle is he a chance to slip to the second round? Also Simpkin now he has a broken leg.

Freo's first two picks this year are Pick 3 and Pick 39 I believe, which complicates things.

I agree on brad hill and I couldn't see freo too eager to pay their first

I think another club will have to be involved because Pick 3 is overs even when packaged and Pick 39 is unders.

Maybe using future picks will be discussed.

Thanks KM appreciate your time. I hope it's a successful trade period, Prestia and Witts would be handy. I wouldn't mind adding a James Stewart to that mix also

KM who are some other state league rucks the eagles could draft (other than darcy cameron). Would love someone who couldplay forward and give lycett or giles a chop out next season.

could mason shaw become a part time ruckmen at AFL level?

Last edited:
KM- this question was posted by an earlier Port man but I can't see that you answered it- Hinkley has indicated taking our first pick #9 to the draft and commented that first rounders can get you ready made players who will play in 2017. Of the first round probables, who are the ones most likely to play most next year?

KM- this question was posted by an earlier Port man but I can't see that you answered it- Hinkley has indicated taking our first pick #9 to the draft and commented that first rounders can get you ready made players who will play in 2017. Of the first round probables, who are the ones most likely to play most next year?

Looking at 2015 Doddee & Harry McKay are the only 1st round picks who didnt play a game, top 5 all played 13+ and this was a draft stacked with key position players.. 2016 is going to be more midfielders so you would have to think almost all players would be capable of playing 10+ games unless injuries happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back