Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2016 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knighter, pick 1 Rookie draft, would you go with Goddard, Ladhams or even Sweet first?

Of those three I most like Sweet. Not sure the first pick in the rookie draft would be needed to get him though.

Of those three I most like Sweet. Not sure the first pick in the rookie draft would be needed to get him though.
Pretty sure we're only adding the one rookie this year, except maybe Uysal, Kerbatieh and Ronke as Cat B's potentially

Hey km so were rumoured to be keen on eddy from the sanfl; from yours and a list perspective do you think this suffices not picking up a young forward in this years draft and waiting until next years? I highly expect battle kerr and marshall to be gone by 30/31 and the early picks we would go best avaliable mids

Liam Ryan I don't feel was ever expected to go early.

Still think he is a fair national draft chance.

Can't imagine anyone thought he was an endurance athlete.

Not a name I'm familiar with.

What age is he?

Probably receives a second round bid somewhere. Unclear exactly where. Collingwood's first pick is probably safe I'm predicting.

Rookie chance but not certainty as is the case with all state combine invites.

I've liked the look of him through the midfield. Nice height/size and can win the contested ball.

On my extended draft board I have Cameron inside my top 40 power rankings, so he is one I've really liked the look of from those games I've seen. But my power rankings don't correlate with that of AFL clubs.

Brodie is in the mix at 5 and a good choice if there. A potential compliment to Cripps going forward and someone good enough to take some of the burden off him if picked by the Blues.

His kicking can be good at times. He wins it at stoppages in good positions with space that can allow him get off some dangerous kicks forward into the forward 50m. He can under pressure feel rushed and find it harder to execute though.

Overall a capable and more than good enough but not outstanding kick with his decision making under pressure more what he can struggle with.

Powell-Pepper may be available in the 20s but is expected to go earlier than pick 27.

Will be posting my phantom draft on ESPN on Wednesday I'm hoping for and will cover the talents who I expect pick by pick to feature inside the first two rounds of the draft.

I'm understanding the same (albeit learning myself on the fly with the rules new and having never been used in this way with no clubs going into deficit before).

I'm not expecting Florent to be there at 20. He probably goes closer to pick 10.

Essendon could bid on Sproule with pick 28. That would not surprise me at all if Essendon or another club looking for a key position player around that point bid on he and Macreadie for that matter.

GWS probably match bids for both players given some offseason KPP losses and given they like to stockpile talls and use them as trade assets down the track. Always worth a bidding though if they're the top rated player on your draft board at that pick.

I liked the look of Gallucci for a period of the season but have since dropped him on the back of inconsistent performances, lower than expected numbers and inconsistent kicking that wasn't as good as I thought it was.

Next year there are some KPPs within the "normal" height ranges but very early draft there are several of genuine ruck height (2m+) who play key forward and ruck.

West Coast may be able to find a replacement next year, but it would likely depend where the club is picking. Unless you have a top 10 pick there is no guarantee you can get your key forward.

I'd say WCE should consider Marshall and take him on his own merits if the club rate him and feel he is good enough to succeed Kennedy.

Dynamics in drafts often on draft day look different to how they look a year out from the draft.

This year is a great example, looking not dissimilar to how next year is looking with Luke Strnadica and Jeremy Goddard as key forwards and ruckmen respectively looked like potential top 10 selections and may now go undrafted.

State combine invite. Has acceleration and is a pretty good kick.

There are a lot of potential back flankers in this draft so lots of competition will be the challenge with the depth at his position. Given this late/rookie possible if picked.

Murphy some interest late/rookie. Have heard Richmond are one of the clubs who have spoken to him.

Lipinski may feature late second round onwards and is a probable national draft choice. Unsure who specifically is keen.

Hey mate what do you think the chances are of us getting Brodie with 5 and Battle with 25?

Hi KM, just getting into the draft stuff and love your write ups, what do you think the chance of gold coast going the 3 sandy boys are? 6 - Taranto, 8 - Scrimshaw and 10 - Florent something like that?

Hey km so were rumoured to be keen on eddy from the sanfl; from yours and a list perspective do you think this suffices not picking up a young forward in this years draft and waiting until next years? I highly expect battle kerr and marshall to be gone by 30/31 and the early picks we would go best avaliable mids

Eddy is an excellent choice as a stop gap. Has been good enough since his Collingwood VFL days of making the step up to AFL level as at least depth if not pushing for a best 22 position.

I wouldn't be at all surprised and would recommend Port go this way if Marshall is not there at 14/17 or wherever Port may consider him best available.

There are enough key forwards next year looking good to wait another year.

Hey mate what do you think the chances are of us getting Brodie with 5 and Battle with 25?

Both are chances but not certainties to be available at those selections.

Will reveal more in my phantom draft during the week.

Hi KM, just getting into the draft stuff and love your write ups, what do you think the chance of gold coast going the 3 sandy boys are? 6 - Taranto, 8 - Scrimshaw and 10 - Florent something like that?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Gold Coast land a combination of those Sandy boys. I'm predicting given where Gold Coast are picking that they will get at least one of the better Sandy boys.

Hey KM,

Whose your favourite player in the draft as a fan that you'd like to see at the pies? In previous years (as an example) you did froth for the Bont very early, then kind of went off him mid season, then frothed a bit late. You also went a bit gooey for de goey.... If you had any pick without the need for it to justify itself, you could take any player just for the enjoyment of watching them in your team, who would you take as a fan to play for the pies?

We won't get him but I'd love Taranto. Might get Florent who is my second choice.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Hi Knightmare,

Who do you see as the best intercept marking defenders/third talls in the draft who will be going around the second round?

Would you see GC taking Taranto at 4 as a decent selection if Bowes wasn't bid on? I like him more than anyone likely available there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey KM,

Not sure if posted this earlier, but just checking to see what your views are on Sam Simpson (Falcons - Father Son Prospect)? Any views on strengths, weaknesses, player comparison?

Also do you think the Cats will draft him, and if so, will they need to match bids (your estimate on pick required)?

Cheers

Gibbs has a few years left on his contract. Carlton not dealing may simply be that they like next years draft way better and want another first rounder in 2017. I hear that next year is a talls' draft. Long contracts at least give the club flexibility to chose when to trade. In the absence of knockout offer why not wait.

Knightmare do you know if the Crows are keen on anyone? I would hope we are keen on the likes of Venables/SPP/Berry, inside mids with points of difference are what we need.

Knight often talk is GWS will pass on academy kids like mutch. What range do you think mutch sits in the unmatched bid range? I think the lions with picks in 16-24 range could be in a great position to target him. Thoughts on him at the lions?

Hey KM,

Whose your favourite player in the draft as a fan that you'd like to see at the pies? In previous years (as an example) you did froth for the Bont very early, then kind of went off him mid season, then frothed a bit late. You also went a bit gooey for de goey.... If you had any pick without the need for it to justify itself, you could take any player just for the enjoyment of watching them in your team, who would you take as a fan to play for the pies?

We won't get him but I'd love Taranto. Might get Florent who is my second choice.

I have a lot of favourites this year.

Great question and I'm glad you asked. Have lots of names up my sleeve who I'd be telling my recruiting team to take a long hard look at.

Those I view as underrated and likely go late/rookie or may go undrafted are those I'll talk more about here as I personally really like their games and feel AFL clubs probably aren't rating them as high as they should.

Ben Ronke (in mid), Lachlan Tiziani (fwd), Brodie Romensky (mid/def), Lachlan Cameron (in mid), Lachlan Walker (in/out mid), Dan Allsop (fwd), Brett Eddy (mature KPF) and Nick Dodge (def/fwd) are some top of mind names who I would love at Collingwood from late/rookie choices.

More mid draft, Willem Drew while I don't have him going in my first two rounds is someone more around that mid draft mark I also rate highly and feel matches anyone in this draft for impact.

Hey KM,

Have Willie Rioli's draft stocks risen of late? Where do you see him being picked up?

Late/rookie. His stocks have stayed fairly solid this season once he earned his way onto the draft radar again after shedding weight.

Hi Knightmare,

Who do you see as the best intercept marking defenders/third talls in the draft who will be going around the second round?

Mature ager Luke Ryan could be that guy for intercept marking/rebounding from defence. Otherwise if you're looking taller Joshua Rotham at 192cm could be an option, though not the same volume intercept mark.

Would you see GC taking Taranto at 4 as a decent selection if Bowes wasn't bid on? I like him more than anyone likely available there.

Have toyed with placing Taranto at pick 4 but don't presently. Not out of the question.

What's your thoughts on Tom Williamson fron North Ballarat Rebels? Where do you see him going?

Looks to have all the skills you'd want and a nice frame.

Athletic tall back flanker. Has some pace. Mid-late draft pick could be his range.

Hi KM,
What are the odds SPP or Bolton are still there at 23 and maybe Zac fisher at 36?

All three possibles but not certainties at those ranges. In each case borderline calls until it becomes clearer closer to the draft.

Is there any real knock on Fisher other than height? Seems like he could be a Caleb Daniel-like bargain.

Height/size. Not a big guy at only 61kg. Apparently only average in athletic testing though he seems much quicker than his testing from the eye-test out on the field.

Could be a good value choice as a really good all around midfielder.

Hey KM,

Not sure if posted this earlier, but just checking to see what your views are on Sam Simpson (Falcons - Father Son Prospect)? Any views on strengths, weaknesses, player comparison?

Also do you think the Cats will draft him, and if so, will they need to match bids (your estimate on pick required)?

Cheers

Not a big guy at 179cm, 64kg. He moves well and has good skills from what I've seen but probably more a rookie if chosen.

Knightmare do you know if the Crows are keen on anyone? I would hope we are keen on the likes of Venables/SPP/Berry, inside mids with points of difference are what we need.

Unsure who Adelaide like though I'm thinking of some similar names at the moment for Adelaide.

Knight often talk is GWS will pass on academy kids like mutch. What range do you think mutch sits in the unmatched bid range? I think the lions with picks in 16-24 range could be in a great position to target him. Thoughts on him at the lions?

I think Mutch will slide. Could be a 2nd - 3rd round choice to narrow down his range.

It's a deep year for midfielders so Mutch may not be the only one to slide into that range. Drew could be another among others.

I doubt Brisbane take Mutch who likely goes between Brisbane's picks in the 20s and the clubs later pick.

Big chance the Cats make a few bids @24 for mine as this in effect elevates their picks 38 + 42 up the order.

Geelong need talls.

Down back they're aging with Lonergan and Taylor both 30+ and Henderson frail and nearing 30.

Up forward they have Hawkins and not much else with Kersten and Vardy traded and Clark cut.

Gibbs has a few years left on his contract. Carlton not dealing may simply be that they like next years draft way better and want another first rounder in 2017. I hear that next year is a talls' draft. Long contracts at least give the club flexibility to chose when to trade. In the absence of knockout offer why not wait.

Adelaide need a ruckman post-Jacobs which may be more the point about Adelaide's evaluation of next years draft. Lots and lots of 200cm+ players next year so it's a draft Adelaide in the first round want to be involved in.

Geelong need talls.

Down back they're aging with Lonergan and Taylor both 30+ and Henderson frail and nearing 30.

Up forward they have Hawkins and not much else with Kersten and Vardy traded and Clark cut.

Agreed however not sure they are certain for a tall at 24 and that doesnt mean they wont bid to elevate their other picks.

Worth noting they picked up Black as a possible tallish forward option.

Agreed however not sure they are certain for a tall at 24 and that doesnt mean they wont bid to elevate their other picks.

Worth noting they picked up Black as a possible tallish forward option.

They could bid on both Macreadie and Sproule and kill two birds with one stone. Whether they rate either as worthy of that choice would be the issue but they either get their tall or improve their draft position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back