Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2016 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi KM, now that the draft selections are settled who do you see as good and realistic gets for the lions at 3, 16, 21 and 22?

i am hoping for Ainsworth, Berry, Simpkin and Florent, is that a chance of happening? if not who would you see as ideal and probably available at our picks?

Adelaide need a ruckman post-Jacobs which may be more the point about Adelaide's evaluation of next years draft. Lots and lots of 200cm+ players next year so it's a draft Adelaide in the first round want to be involved in.
We have Reilly Obrien

Geelong need talls.

Down back they're aging with Lonergan and Taylor both 30+ and Henderson frail and nearing 30.

Up forward they have Hawkins and not much else with Kersten and Vardy traded and Clark cut.

Henderson is pretty durable has only had a collision knee injury no history of soft tissue injuries at geelong or carlton and is only 27 so has a while to go. So we still have him taylor and kolodashnij as good key defenders and blicavs has the ability to play there and we drafted a key defender (gardner) with our first pick last year. So i doubt we go there again with an early pick.

Key forwards on the other hand are a massive need we only have hawkins and black and stanley as a ruck who rests forward so you are right thats a big need.

Brings me to a couple of qs:
Out of marshall battle and kerr do you think any is realistic to fall to 24?
Do you think an early to mid second round bid for zac sproule is too early or is it likely a club bids that high?

What do you think is the realistic draft range for will drew?

Agreed however not sure they are certain for a tall at 24 and that doesnt mean they wont bid to elevate their other picks.

Worth noting they picked up Black as a possible tallish forward option.

I have Geelong taking a particular tall at 24 in my upcoming phantom draft anyway.

I'd love for a team in the 20-28 range to just bid on multiple academy players in a row.

Scheer, Brown, Macreadie, Sproule, Mutch.

Would be funny to see a team take five bites at the apple before selecting someone

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Not out of the question. There are a few who could feature in that range.

hey mate,

Do you see Ronkey going in the draft proper?

I understand ESS has the rookie option on him as a cat b but do you think he gets that far?

Whats kind of draft range do you predict him as?

Ronke is a chance but not certainty to go in the national draft. Late pick if chosen.

Possible he makes it to cat b rookie. Incredible value if he does make it that far. Seriously developable player given acceleration and ball winning capacilities.

His range is late/rookie.

Hi knightmare love ya work who could you see around pick 33 for the saints who could turn out a decent afl player? Cheers

Willem Drew is my default answer for anyone after around pick 20. Could be there in the 40s despite being in my view the best performed and most influential inside mid in the TAC Cup.

hi KM, now that the draft selections are settled who do you see as good and realistic gets for the lions at 3, 16, 21 and 22?

i am hoping for Ainsworth, Berry, Simpkin and Florent, is that a chance of happening? if not who would you see as ideal and probably available at our picks?

You'll have to find out in my phantom draft when it is released this week. That will give you a good feel for who should be available around those picks.

#Nospoilers

Henderson is pretty durable has only had a collision knee injury no history of soft tissue injuries at geelong or carlton and is only 27 so has a while to go. So we still have him taylor and kolodashnij as good key defenders and blicavs has the ability to play there and we drafted a key defender (gardner) with our first pick last year. So i doubt we go there again with an early pick.

Key forwards on the other hand are a massive need we only have hawkins and black and stanley as a ruck who rests forward so you are right thats a big need.

Brings me to a couple of qs:
Out of marshall battle and kerr do you think any is realistic to fall to 24?
Do you think an early to mid second round bid for zac sproule is too early or is it likely a club bids that high?

What do you think is the realistic draft range for will drew?

I definitely can't agree on Henderson's durability. He has only once in his career player 20 or more games. That's terrible! He'll turn 27 by the end of the year. You'd expect more seasons than not for someone who has played for Carlton for so long prior to Geelong to have played several 20+ game seasons, but it just hasn't been so.

Kerr is the more likely to be there at 24. Marshall could slide, but is more likely to go in the 10-20 range.

A bid anywhere in the second round for Sproule and I'd say the same of Macreadie is suitable given the lack of good kpps this year and given the upside both possess.

You're going to love my phantom draft release. It's going to answer very clearly exactly the questions on your mind in terms of the talls who may feature around Geelong's choice.

When will your phantom draft be released legend?

I've submitted it to ESPN in the last hour.

I'll hear back from them later today. Will be this week for certain. May be today, or could be as late as Friday.

Will either post a link tonight if up or otherwise will hopefully get a note back as to when it will be up.

KM will anyone take Michael Gibbons from Willy after he won the Liston medal.

He is a chance but not a certainty. Not invited to the state or national combine means limited interest. Probably a rookie if picked. But potentially an immediate player at AFL level who can contribute right away.

Hi Knightmare,

Who do you suspect north will pick with 11, 32 and 33?

Is florent still the favourite to be taken at 11?

Thanks in advance.

I won't spill the beans on who I have going to North Melbourne in my phantom draft to North Melbourne.

I will give the mild spoiler that I have someone other than Florent going to North Melbourne at 11.

He is definitely firmly in the mix for North and someone they're believed to like, though he is one of a small group of players to watch with that choice though.

They could bid on both Macreadie and Sproule and kill two birds with one stone. Whether they rate either as worthy of that choice would be the issue but they either get their tall or improve their draft position.

Actually having thought about this, it wouldn't really improve Geelong's position at all, as GWS would be using picks in the 50s and going into deficit to match Sproule and Macreadie.

Speaking of North's pick, I actually think it shapes as one of the most intriguing in the draft. Assuming the top 10 goes as expected, there's probably a minimum of 10-12 different players that we could conceivably draft. It's wide open from a draft watcher point of view.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Waiting for KM's Phantom

200_s.gif

Actually having thought about this, it wouldn't really improve Geelong's position at all, as GWS would be using picks in the 50s and going into deficit to match Sproule and Macreadie.

Speaking of North's pick, I actually think it shapes as one of the most intriguing in the draft. Assuming the top 10 goes as expected, there's probably a minimum of 10-12 different players that we could conceivably draft. It's wide open from a draft watcher point of view.

Logue pretty good chance considering you need to bolster your back spots?

Logue pretty good chance considering you need to bolster your back spots?

I reckon he is why Sydney traded up tbh.

We went all out on key position defenders two drafts ago (Durdin, Nielsen, Vickers-Willis) so would hope we still have faith in at least two of those panning out. I think Logue is going to be a terrific player but there are so many speedy outside/creative types in this draft pool so would be really disappointed if we didn't go that way with 11.

Is there any lists of potential state league players who will be eligible this year?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The players who were at the VFL testing:

VFL: Ben Long (Footscray), Luke Ryan, Robbie Fox (Coburg), Sam McLaughlin, Tom Stewart (Geelong), Rowan Marshall (North Ballarat), Oscar McInerney, Declan Keilty (Casey Scorpions)

From that I'd guess Long, Ryan, Fox, Stewart and McInerney get drafted.

From that I'd guess Long, Ryan, Fox, Stewart and McInerney get drafted.
Only saw a couple of games but McInerney looked a long, long, loooooooooong way off it on my viewing of him. What makes him draft relevant in your view? Not having a go, just curious - I'd heard a little bit about him prior to seeing him play and was completely unconvinced afterwards.

Any rucks?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
McLaughlin and McInerney are.
Only saw a couple of games but McInerney looked a long, long, loooooooooong way off it on my viewing of him. What makes him draft relevant in your view? Not having a go, just curious - I'd heard a little bit about him prior to seeing him play and was completely unconvinced afterwards.
There's some serious raw potential there. He's far from dominant; that's clear, but he moves really well for a man his size and he has an ability to win some excellent taps while being totally out of position. If you can put some size on him so he can hold his ground better he will be at the very least a very good state league ruck.

McLaughlin and McInerney are.

There's some serious raw potential there. He's far from dominant; that's clear, but he moves really well for a man his size and he has an ability to win some excellent taps while being totally out of position. If you can put some size on him so he can hold his ground better he will be at the very least a very good state league ruck.

He will be a good state league ruckman if he works hard.... doesn't look like a future afl ruck.

He will be a good state league ruckman if he works hard.... doesn't look like a future afl ruck.
The talent is definitely there IMO. Seen every VFL game he's had whether that be vision or live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back