Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2016 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry knight mare but I doubt the saints take a half back flanker. With montanga savage white rice Webster newnes and someone I'm probably forgot I think we'd need KPP and midfield depth. given fishers there i would say we'd take him over cumming. still great phantom draft

Great write up KM, love your work.

Personally I can't see why Sydney would push so hard to get in the top 10 only to take Florent who would likely have still been around at pick 14, but I guess it all depends on what you see as the biggest need.

Personally I can't see why Sydney would push so hard to get in the top 10 only to take Florent who would likely have still been around at pick 14, but I guess it all depends on what you see as the biggest need.

I read on here a few days back (maybe Snoops thread) that they were heavily into Griffin Logue. So perhaps that is why.

I read on here a few days back (maybe Snoops thread) that they were heavily into Griffin Logue. So perhaps that is why.
I think that'd make a lot more sense for pick 9 as he's key position size and seems to have great athletic ability. And being a WA boy it'd also make sense that Sydney would have wanted to leapfrog WCE at pick 12 in order to get him.

I appreciate the effort put in and I'll try to be constructive in criticism.

So we pick a slightly undersized average paced kpd that might not even play midfield, a slow inside mid with queries over his kicking and a tall half back flanker, who may turn out alright.

None of these picks solve any of our midfield problems or leg speed. We took three defenders in the 2014 draft, with the possible exception of needing one more speedy rebound defender (even then we've got that many half backmen), none of those picks are even remotely ideal for North.

Hello Knightmare, just interested on a tall forward from the TAC cup called Karl Brown, he kicked 40+ for the year. What are his chances of getting drafted, what type of KPF is he?

So we pick a slightly undersized average paced kpd that might not even play midfield, a slow inside mid with queries over his kicking and a tall half back flanker, who may turn out alright.

None of these picks solve any of our midfield problems or leg speed. We took three defenders in the 2014 draft, with the possible exception of needing one more speedy rebound defender (even then we've got that many half backmen), none of those picks are even remotely ideal for North.

It seems most teams ATM are looking at strong inside Mids, I know Adealide are in need desperatly , Port do too, it seems to be something high on the priority of a lot of teams.

These outside mids, HFF types I think will slide along with HBF who seem dime a dozen.

It seems most teams ATM are looking at strong inside Mids, I know Adealide are in need desperatly , Port do too, it seems to be something high on the priority of a lot of teams.

These outside mids, HFF types I think will slide along with HBF who seem dime a dozen.
Definitely, the bigger mid types at 190cm+ seem to be the go. The problem is that we have a number of them and we need leg speed and class more than anything else and km's picks do little to address that for north.

I'm saying that, his write ups are fantastic and in depth.

I really like your picks for port. Theres currently a massive wankfest on our board for spp which i dont get. Itd make sense moving from 9 to 14 to get an injured player like simpkin; ball use polish is what we need so tick there. Hayward best avaliable next pick tick there. Villis albeit a bit skinny good ball user which we need tick. 31 has to then be a mid and it really comes down to whos there on draft night could raffle about 10 different players. Great job knightmare!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think this is the hardest draft to phantom pick for the last 10 years. Going to be a very fluid event, even before the final bell. Those fat recruiters are going to earn their keep this year....

Think this is the hardest draft to phantom pick for the last 10 years. Going to be a very fluid event, even before the final bell. Those fat recruiters are going to earn their keep this year....

I think this year a few of the mock drafters are backing their own thoughts a little more. Previous years you've seen a little more group think.

Each year the real draft throws up a few BF surprises.

I'm not a fan of us taking 3 small players in one draft with Ainsworth Bolton Gallucci we're already considered a small team I would have preferred Berry and SPP at 16 and 21

For Brisbane I'd say Ainsworth is a no brainer, Berry exactly what you would need/like next (but not sure he's still there) but I reckon it's your next pick that is crucial. I reckon your 3rd pick is just under the next plateau of players, so you hope for a slider or really back your draft team to get it right and hope they nail it. I like the list build happening at Brisbane, another season or two and I reckon the finals are a serious chance

I really like your picks for port. Theres currently a massive wankfest on our board for spp which i dont get. Itd make sense moving from 9 to 14 to get an injured player like simpkin; ball use polish is what we need so tick there. Hayward best avaliable next pick tick there. Villis albeit a bit skinny good ball user which we need tick. 31 has to then be a mid and it really comes down to whos there on draft night could raffle about 10 different players. Great job knightmare!

Villis wont be playing for Port, KM is very wrong there

Kind of a similar question but who do you see as the best small fast defenders who can play on the Eddie betts and Cyril riolis, but also have good kicks too rebounding from defence? I think Collingwood could do with one losing Marley, and Sinclair and Ramsay seem to be injured a lot

Ben Long could be something like that if you want someone who can lock down on the smalls.

In Collingwood's situation I'm not seeing the need though. While some backmen lost this offseason, there are lots remaining.

It's mostly talls, outside players and general forwards that Collingwood need.

Ramsay and Maynard are the clubs two two back pockets who will be tasked with taking the oppositions smalls in 2017.

Who do you see as the highest character individuals in the draft? In particular, the players that project to be in that 8-40 pick range.

This is certainly something that St Kilda targets.

Berry and McGrath are two I hear mentioned among the highest quality individual characters.

Drew while quietish I also enjoy out on the field the way he goes about it - in that Jack Viney tough way.

Why do you rate William Drew so highly but at the same time think he could fall so far?

I rate talent differently to AFL clubs, just as one AFL club will rate talent differently to the next club.

Different values and different weighting on different things.

Sorry knight mare but I doubt the saints take a half back flanker. With montanga savage white rice Webster newnes and someone I'm probably forgot I think we'd need KPP and midfield depth. given fishers there i would say we'd take him over cumming. still great phantom draft

Another small midfielders after taking Gresham last year?

Not many clubs would take two low-mid 170cm types without any weight in the first half of the draft in two years straight.

I agree there is good depth of backmen for the Saints, but I'm also seeing good talls and midfielders. For me it's more outside types the Saints need and small/medium forwards.

Montagna won't be around forever. Those other names are fine but players who can be passed by. Cumming while he plays back flank could pretty easily be flicked onto a wing or half forward if necessary to accommodate him.

Sometimes clubs go with best available selections and Cumming may well go inside the top 30 on draft day. Hearing substantial interest and could pretty easily have flipped he and Villis or someone else.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Florent go at 9. He is generally expected to feature around 11 to North Melbourne, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him go to Sydney at 9. High character guy who has overcome substantial adversity this season.

An 18 year old key position player isn't going to help Sydney win a flag, and with a win now group, Florent looks more likely to help and compliment the clubs current group.

I'm not a fan of us taking 3 small players in one draft with Ainsworth Bolton Gallucci we're already considered a small team I would have preferred Berry and SPP at 16 and 21

Gallucci is 183cm and much stronger looking than the listed 75kg. Has visible done a lot of bicep curls. While not a contested ball winning beast, I wouldn't be listing him as a small.

Berry or SPP are fine alternatives if there and could just as easily be picked by Brisbane.

They're all around that mark, though I'd say Berry probably is gone by then.

Reckon Essendon take Battle if available at 20.

Do Essendon want a key forward or a third tall forward?

I'd say Battle a bit like Shane Kersten when he was at Geelong probably settles more as a 3rd tall rather than a genuine key forward.

Logue is exceptional athletically. He came equal first in the beep test, top 10 in the repeat sprint, top 5 in the standing vertical jump, equal first in the running vertical jump and top 5 in the 3km time trial. He could provide more run and carry than he does from the games I've seen. But in terms of closing speed and going after the loose balls, he outpaces smalls and talls.

Villis wont be playing for Port, KM is very wrong there

From 20 onwards, let alone 30 onwards it's always guesswork.

Have you spoken to a Port recruiter who has said Port won't take Villis? What is your specific reason for saying this?

Hello Knightmare, just interested on a tall forward from the TAC cup called Karl Brown, he kicked 40+ for the year. What are his chances of getting drafted, what type of KPF is he?

Almost no chance.

Top ager who wasn't invited to the state or national combine.

He is a good, strong bodied, strong contested marking key forward in the TAC Cup. Mobility improved since last year. But end of season form poor after a solid first half where he had some big games.

Cheers for the hard work KM! I see that you stated Sydney wouldn't take an 18 year old key forward as they are in a flag window. Similarly, I don't think West Coast would go for Marshall at 12 since we are also primed for the finals. I don't think we'll need another key forward for a while as McGovern is more than capable of replacing Kennedy once he's gone (which is a sad thing to think about)

No Damo no worries

I have heard that they traded up to be sure of snagging Griffen Logie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back