Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2016 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I look forward to it every week cheers mate

Weekly wrap up now on ESPN.

are there any videos of Drew from the TAC cup available?

There are some on youtube. Just search: Willem Drew - and you'll find some match play and interviews.

The problem with the match play videos is that it's from the U18 championships where he was stuck on a back flank rather than receiving an opportunity to play midfield, so it's overall not representative of his game as that's not his position.

If WA lads Q Narkle , Cam Zuhaar maybe . Two talented WA lads not highly talked about in draft conversations .
I think both with go Q Narkle well after Zuhaar .

Both have a shot, being national combine invites but neither are guarantees as potential late/rookie choices.

Jye Bolton the Sandover Medallist any sneaky chance to be picked up? Rookied possibly? Dominated this year and seems like hes matured and bulked up a bit since his time at the Pies

It's possible. He has had a good season. He is among my top rated state leaguers and is one I'd like to see receive another opportunity.

Frankly when he played for the Pies I was expecting a promotion from the rookie list rather than Bolton getting delisted. He has never been bad and in his first season during the NAB Cup/Challenge or whatever it was called when Bolton was playing, he looked a natural fit among AFL standard competition. Similarly in the VFL he performed strongly and playing some good football.

Most likely candidates at pick 11 for North? cheers .

Todd Marshall if he slides, otherwise Jack Scrimshaw, Daniel Venables, Jarrod Berry and Jy Simpkin could be among those considered and going around North's pick.

Thoughts on Jono Aujard in this years draft and Toby Wooler in next years draft Nightmare? Thanks in advance, couple of the Chargers boys

Wooller I've made mention of in my last two weekly wraps. Looks a likely and draftable type for next year as a tall leading forward.

Aujard has been invited to the state screenings. Draft chance but no certainty. He is an efficient ball user but very uncontested and in the most part a very safe ball user.

Knightmare, Any idea on Geelong will be looking to do? Will they be looking at ready made players or will they be looking to move up the draft order?

Wooller I've made mention of in my last two weekly wraps. Looks a likely and draftable type for next year as a tall leading forward.

Aujard has been invited to the state screenings. Draft chance but no certainty. He is an efficient ball user but very uncontested and in the most part a very safe ball user.

Knightmare sorry mate if this is the place to ask. Is there any chance anyone takes a punt on Tom Goodwin from Coburg? I love the way he plays and he just loves the contest.

Thanks

Knightmare Where do you see Patrick Lipinski going in this draft and is he a good chance to eventually play midfield at some stage at AFL level?

Probable mid-late pick is my prediction.

Needs to improve as a contested ball winner to become a midfielder, but plausible at his height and with his athletic ability. There is some foundation there with work.

Knightmare, Any idea on Geelong will be looking to do? Will they be looking at ready made players or will they be looking to move up the draft order?

Geelong are focused on finals and haven't been talking offseason for the most part that I've noticed.

I can imagine Geelong would be on the lookout for good key position players and some general backmen though looking at the clubs needs.

I'm not sure of Geelong's salary cap situation but I'd imagine with the addition of Dangerfield it would mostly be additions through the draft.

While it has been spoken about very little. I understand Geelong have interest in Daniel Wells (who is a free agent). While Collingwood want him, I would not be surprised if Geelong were the team to sign him, as a team closer to a premiership.

Knightmare sorry mate if this is the place to ask. Is there any chance anyone takes a punt on Tom Goodwin from Coburg? I love the way he plays and he just loves the contest.

Thanks

Goodwin has had a good season in the VFL for Coburg but given he was not invited to the state screenings I would view it as unlikely that Goodwin would be selected.

I love the Goodwin/Kovacevic combo for Coburg. Two big ruckmen who play the position with a great physicality.

Of the VFL ruckmen coming back to a draft context, Rowan Marshall of the VFL ruckmen is the better chance being younger and more effective forward of centre while still being an effective ruckman in his own right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What dandeong stingrays will be drafted and do you think dan allsop and sam fowler will be drafted even with consideration to their heights?

What do you see the key differences are between Scrimshaw, Rotham and Berry KM? To an outsider they seem difficult to split. Cheers

With the news that GWS are keen on pick 1 to snare Andy McGrath do you think he has taken the mantle of the best kid in the draft?

It's not out of the question. Essendon remain tight-lipped as to who they will take with pick one.

McGrath has been a strong performer so he could be pick 1. He just wouldn't be my choice. I'm not even sure McGrath is Sandringham's best player with Setterfield and Taranto in that same conversation for mine.

What dandeong stingrays will be drafted and do you think dan allsop and sam fowler will be drafted even with consideration to their heights?

Dan Allsop if not picked in the national or rookie draft likely will be selected by Melbourne as a category b rookie, having nominated him.

Battle likely goes in the second round.

Poholke is a strong chance to feature somewhere in the national draft.

Bailey Morrish and Mitch McCarthy are firmly in the mix for selection having received national combine invites.

Fowler is a chance late/rookie as another good forward and has his fans.

Mason De Witt down back also is another who may receive consideration and featured in last weekends Young Guns game suggesting that clubs wanted another look at him.

Dandenong lack the genuine first round types but have a lot of guys who will receive consideration and a strong group coming through for 2017 also.

What do you see the key differences are between Scrimshaw, Rotham and Berry KM? To an outsider they seem difficult to split. Cheers

All have their inconsistencies by foot but Scrimshaw of the three when his kicking is on is one of the most damaging kicks in this draft with his ability to kick off one or two steps - moving it quickly over distance.

Rotham and Berry are the more explosive with Scrimshaw more as smooth mover than someone who can accelerate at any particular speed.

Berry is the more versatile of the three and can play midfield, forward or back equally (and of the three is the better contested ball winner) whereas Rotham and Scrimshaw have both played primarily as backmen. Scrimshaw being more a back flanker. Rotham having played mostly key defence but may like Scrimshaw be suited to playing on more medium options at AFL level.

Scrimshaw of the three is probably the first picked and the more talented of the three and probably goes mid first round. Berry and Rotham likely feature mid first round - 2nd round.

All have their inconsistencies by foot but Scrimshaw of the three when his kicking is on is one of the most damaging kicks in this draft with his ability to kick off one or two steps - moving it quickly over distance.

If Rotham has inconsistencies by foot, then everyone does. Best kick in the draft.

Didn't Essendon show their hand by trying to get Brodie to play for their VFL team similar to how Gold Coast got swallow to play for them before he was drafted

So how many rays would you think end up on a list next year?

Could be anywhere between 2-7 which might mean to narrow it down might be 3-5.

If Rotham has inconsistencies by foot, then everyone does. Best kick in the draft.

Offensively I like the run he offers and and linking up by hand.

Can't say I was taken by anything I saw from Rotham by foot during the u18 championships. Kicks to contests. No special vision/penetration demonstrated.

Not seeing what you're seeing.

As a kick I'll take McCluggage any day with his superior vision/decision making/finishing from anywhere/and kicks out in front for players to lead onto.

Didn't Essendon show their hand by trying to get Brodie to play for their VFL team similar to how Gold Coast got swallow to play for them before he was drafted

That has been noted and why for a while I believed Brodie to be the favourite for Essendon's first pick.

G'day Knight,
Was just wondering what your thoughts at this stage are about ash krakouer and josh Hannon getting drafted?

Could be anywhere between 2-7 which might mean to narrow it down might be 3-5.

Offensively I like the run he offers and and linking up by hand.

Can't say I was taken by anything I saw from Rotham by foot during the u18 championships. Kicks to contests. No special vision/penetration demonstrated.

Not seeing what you're seeing.

As a kick I'll take McCluggage any day with his superior vision/decision making/finishing from anywhere/and kicks out in front for players to lead onto.

That has been noted and why for a while I believed Brodie to be the favourite for Essendon's first pick.
So which rays players do you believe? (possibly an order of chance to land on a list)

Knightmare I dont know if you've done this before, but how would you compare this years draft with last years? From the looks of it I think last years draft looks a bit better overall in the top end, but this draft is a lot deeper.

Just my casual eyes would say something like; im going to ignore Academy picks,

1-2 Weitering & Schache
3-5 McLuggage, Brodie, McGrath
6-11 Francis, Parish, Weideman, Oliver, McKay, Curnow
12-13 SPS, Ainsworth
14-20 2017 5-9 range
20-25 2016 10-15 Range
25-35 2017 10-20 Range

So on etc etc.

And then, considering that, how do you compare next years draft? I have always been against comparing future drafts as its impossible to say, look at how much Macreadie has dropped this year or how high McGrath has bolted in the past 10 weeks or so, it so volatile, but how do you feel about it?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Knightmare I dont know if you've done this before, but how would you compare this years draft with last years? From the looks of it I think last years draft looks a bit better overall in the top end, but this draft is a lot deeper.

Just my casual eyes would say something like; im going to ignore Academy picks,

1-2 Weitering & Schache
3-5 McLuggage, Brodie, McGrath
6-11 Francis, Parish, Weideman, Oliver, McKay, Curnow
12-13 SPS, Ainsworth
14-20 2017 5-9 range
20-25 2016 10-15 Range
25-35 2017 10-20 Range

So on etc etc.

And then, considering that, how do you compare next years draft? I have always been against comparing future drafts as its impossible to say, look at how much Macreadie has dropped this year or how high McGrath has bolted in the past 10 weeks or so, it so volatile, but how do you feel about it?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

I like these comparsions and will be interested in how Knightmare rates the 2 drafts. But Oliver is a exceptional contested ball player that I think would be very high in the current draft, and Parish is just so skillful compared to McGrath.

I like these comparsions and will be interested in how Knightmare rates the 2 drafts. But Oliver is a exceptional contested ball player that I think would be very high in the current draft, and Parish is just so skillful compared to McGrath.
Yeah definitely, personally I think Brodie looks the goods, and i'd have him ahead of Oliver at this stage, Parish v McGrath is super close though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back