Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2016 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any insight as to why recruiters ask potential draftees to spell a word backwards during interviews?

Was mentioned on an afl site vid...

It's not the first time clubs (Essendon being a regular for this) have asking players to spell words backwards.

It may be to get a feel for a players willingness to do what someone from an AFL club want them to do/ check how eager they are to impress. It may also be as a distraction question to get the prospect to focus on that question and then they may be able to ask the harder more personal questions later if they have any, with question asking someone to spell something backwards something that may open up that potential more.

I expect GWS don't feel any urgency towards selecting McCluggage due to all the quality outside mids the club have - Kelly/Whitfield/Scully etc.

Whereas off hb there aren't as many options of the same quality. Similarly up forward GWS lack the quality small and medium types to pair with the bigs which brings Taranto and Ainsworth into that mix.

As opposed to being down to the quality of play.

Understood but don't you think that at the next level McCluggage could be more small forward/mid rather than mid/wing?

Kelly/Whitfield/Scully are all absolutely elite runners first and foremost. Primarily we use them to run opposition players ragged which particularly Scully and Whitfield do very well. Kelly also has the capacity but is more the finishing silk.

From what i've seen of McCluggage (admittedly a lot less than others) he looks more an elite finisher with incredible step and outstanding finishing skills. Whilst he can get the ball from the middle he doesnt excel there and his overall running and speed is good but not elite?

With Kelly off contract and bound to command big dollars and also Dev Smith coming off contract and in high demand couldn't Hugh come in and add cover as a small forward who could also play outside mid?

KM you mentioned Mitch Carter in a few of your weekly wraps. Do you see him as an ND chance, or more of a rookie chance if anything?

Hey KM, Gold Coast have 4 top 10's, Bowes will probably get a bid in there and we will almost certainly match. We also almost certainly match a bid for Scheer, probably in the second round.. We have 5 list spots and that's 5 draftees, simple..
My question is this, in the unlikely chance that Bowes doesn't attract a bid in the top 9, can we pick 4 top 10's, Bowes and Scheer (go into heavy deficit next year) and then cut a contracted player the next day to free up that extra list spot we need??
I see final list lodgement is a few days after the draft, just not entirely sure if what I'm proposing is all above board..

Anyone know why Tiziani didn't get picked up last year apart from the obvious answer of no one wanted him?
Also Alex Villis is it, now with the heart condition how likely is it he will be picked up. Still the same player. Is it his safety clubs are worried about? If he wants to play and he's good enough to play give him a go.

Anyone know why Tiziani didn't get picked up last year apart from the obvious answer of no one wanted him?
Also Alex Villis is it, now with the heart condition how likely is it he will be picked up. Still the same player. Is it his safety clubs are worried about? If he wants to play and he's good enough to play give him a go.

Not sure about Tiziani. But Villis was being talk about as a top 20 pick, definitely good enough to make it. From what I've heard it sounds like his heart condition is very serious and he'll never play again.

Not sure about Tiziani. But Villis was being talk about as a top 20 pick, definitely good enough to make it. From what I've heard it sounds like his heart condition is very serious and he'll never play again.
I suppose we don't know the full story with Villis. do we know if he wants to play or has his name in the draft. Really feel for the kid.

I suppose we don't know the full story with Villis. do we know if he wants to play or has his name in the draft. Really feel for the kid.

He's got something called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy which means he's at a risk of his heart suddenly stopping leading to sudden death particularly if the heart is severely pushed such as in an elite sports environment - so it's probably more about his own welfare rather than it affecting his footballing ability at the highest level. Such an unfortunate thing to happen.. particularly since he apparently found out about it a few weeks before the combine

He's got something called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy which means he's at a risk of his heart suddenly stopping leading to sudden death particularly if the heart is severely pushed such as in an elite sports environment - so it's probably more about his own welfare rather than it affecting his footballing ability at the highest level. Such an unfortunate thing to happen.. particularly since he apparently found out about it a few weeks before the combine
Incredible talent! Whatever he does in life I'm sure he'll do well

Jayden Pitt found out about his cardiomyopathy a few years into his career.
http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2014-04-09/life-after-afl-for-jayden-pitt
There has been talk about whether pre-draft (rather than post-draft) screening is the right thing to do for both clubs and athlete.

Poor guy. Yeah he would be warned off even competing at a amateur level let alone at a professional level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know how many picks Essendon can use in the draft?
They have picks 1, 20, 29, 41 and 67, but only 3 list spots.
I'm confused on whether to pass on their pick 41 in my phantom or take Ben Long (the player I have there).

I'm confused on whether to pass on their pick 41 in my phantom or take Ben Long (the player I have there).
We currently have 35 players so there are 5 list spots open. Whether we take 5 or go with a list of 38 or 39 or use the PSD or something shouldn't impact on your phantom picks too much.

Understood but don't you think that at the next level McCluggage could be more small forward/mid rather than mid/wing?

Kelly/Whitfield/Scully are all absolutely elite runners first and foremost. Primarily we use them to run opposition players ragged which particularly Scully and Whitfield do very well. Kelly also has the capacity but is more the finishing silk.

From what i've seen of McCluggage (admittedly a lot less than others) he looks more an elite finisher with incredible step and outstanding finishing skills. Whilst he can get the ball from the middle he doesnt excel there and his overall running and speed is good but not elite?

With Kelly off contract and bound to command big dollars and also Dev Smith coming off contract and in high demand couldn't Hugh come in and add cover as a small forward who could also play outside mid?

Your feel for McCluggage is about right.

McCluggage deeper in the front half could be used as a crumber given his freakishness at ground level and his finishing which is better than any others in this draft, but he is more a hf/wing at the next level. Whereas Ainsworth and Taranto by contrast are more your deep forwards when used forward who can push up through the midfield. GWS seem to be about targeting players who fill list needs, and more your deeper small and medium forwards is relatively more the deficient area more so than those who play higher up the field.

I'd personally take McCluggage, just feeling he is better and feeling confident in him as a forward. In saying that, GWS are believed to favour Ainsworth and Taranto to McCluggage.

KM you mentioned Mitch Carter in a few of your weekly wraps. Do you see him as an ND chance, or more of a rookie chance if anything?

Probably more a rookie if picked.

Other kpps are rated ahead of him.

He's someone if I was a recruiter for a state league club I'd be all over as a strong marking type who is capable at both ends.

Potentially five players Essendon may take in the national draft. Even assuming the returns of Kelly and Dea.

Tiziani had question marks on competitiveness and contested ball . Introverted personally apparently

As I've been receiving questions in my 2015 thread I thought it time to create a 2016 thread.

This for now will be a Q+A thread and feature my weekly articles.

Once my first draft profiles and power rankings have been posted onto ESPN (will let you all know when they have been) and have been up for a week or so I will edit the profiles and rankings into this thread.

Knightmare. Do you think Jack Bowes will get a big before 3, perhaps from Brisbane?

Hey KM, Gold Coast have 4 top 10's, Bowes will probably get a bid in there and we will almost certainly match. We also almost certainly match a bid for Scheer, probably in the second round.. We have 5 list spots and that's 5 draftees, simple..
My question is this, in the unlikely chance that Bowes doesn't attract a bid in the top 9, can we pick 4 top 10's, Bowes and Scheer (go into heavy deficit next year) and then cut a contracted player the next day to free up that extra list spot we need??
I see final list lodgement is a few days after the draft, just not entirely sure if what I'm proposing is all above board..

Yes you can providing you pay out the contract of the player you are delisting. Aflpa dont like it as it being late limits that guy's options to find another club but its legal.

Yes you can providing you pay out the contract of the player you are delisting. Aflpa dont like it as it being late limits that guy's options to find another club but its legal.
Thanks for the reply and good to know.. I think GC go with SPS, Brodie and the Scrim. If Bowes doesn't attract that top 9 bid and we decide to pick another stud at 10, would love to roll the dice with Simpkin...
Any thoughts?

Obviously never a gaurantee but for SPP
Does he have a go home factor?
Would the saints be mad to take him?
Sounds like were getting him or CCox
Id rather SPP but worried about go home factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back