Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2017 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be gutted if North got Fogarty with pick 4. Great player, yes. But I would prefer either Brayshaw, Cerra or Stephenson. That suits our needs more.
Also instead of Houlahan North should take a risk and go for Spargo, they’ve lost two small forwards in Wagner and Thomas and it makes perfect sense.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Martin really did start to come along last season
I agree, and had injury excuses and no doubt his development hindered by being part of the GCS but he was spruiked out of this world, players like GAJ saying they had never seen a better junior footballer, so based on this he has been underwhelming. Rankine has a similar amount of spruik about him, for an undersized, lightly framed kid there is every chance he will struggle to adapt at AFL level.

I think you need to remember players generally take time to develop and generally develop faster as their team progresses. Give Martin time.

I agree, and he will probably end up a very handy player but at the time he was selected it was unanimous that he would be pick 1 in the following years draft if not in the superdraft. As it stands now he would not be in the top 20 from 2013.

Hey mate just a quick one and please dont take this the wrong way and think im doubting you have these inside sources but where do you hear these things? do you know people that work at clubs, or hear things from journos or just go off rumours that make their way around social media e.t.c?

Also one more question, are there any Tassie lads that are a chance of getting drafted at all apart from Dixon, and how high will be Tarryn Thomas likely be picked up in the 218 draft?

Thanks mate.

I do know recruiters in the industry and have some dialogue with a few of them. But most will come from other media sources at this time of year, and when there is a lot of overlap and the same voices suggesting the same thing (even if there are slightly different variations) it gives you a fair overall idea of where players fit/which teams like who. Tying that in with some common sense - an understanding of the list needs of each teams, and at least inside the first round you can get a fair number of hits and have a general feel for ranges and the types of players each club will consider with their picks.

Dixon is the guy this year in the mix. Jake Hinds is plausible but very much an outside chance.

Tarryn Thomas next year will be a big name. He's a possible top 10er if he continues to develop strongly.

KM if Rankine was eligible this year what position do you think he would go?

Pick one is the view of most within the industry of Rankine for next year, and if he was available in this draft.

It's not necessarily the way I would go, I'm on the Lukosius bandwagon for next year. He looks like a near copy of Nick Riewoldt.

Rankine looks terrific for next year though. He's a high impact per possession type who takes over games and is finding the ball and hitting the scoreboard. He has been playing SANFL League football this year so he's ready to go - and looks better than Jack Martin. Perhaps if things go right, Rankine could become something close to Shaun Burgoyne if you're after an early comparison to give you a guy he plays similar enough to.

Martin has more talent in his little toe than literally anyone from the 2013 draft. Give him a decent coaching department, another 4 or 5 kgs and a decent team to play in and he would be the best from that draft.

Let me remind you of a few others in that draft:
Josh Kelly
Marcus Bontempelli
Patrick Cripps
Matt Crouch
Zac Merrett

Errr, sorry cannot agree with you.

Jack Martin actually went in the 2012 mini-draft. There were a couple of decent players in the 2012 draft:
Jack Macrae
Ollie Wines
Brodie Grundy
Lachie Whitfield
Joe Daniher

Cannot agree with you on that year either.

So KM do you think the unfortunate injury to Docherty affect any of the Blues draft plans?

Will they look for another half back / mid type at 10 and / or 30?

Carlton were believed to have been considering Stoddart at 30. He may be a greater priority now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, and he will probably end up a very handy player but at the time he was selected it was unanimous that he would be pick 1 in the following years draft if not in the superdraft. As it stands now he would not be in the top 20 from 2013.

Nah that's rubbish, Martin well up there. Not number one, but I don't think he'd be far down the list at all his efforts seem to get glossed over pretty quickly due to the struggles of the Gold Coast.

Carlton were believed to have been considering Stoddart at 30. He may be a greater priority now.

Surely when you lose an AA 24 year old, you don’t immediately think of drafting an 18 year old with pick 30 to replace him do you?

Last edited:
Sure when you lose an AA 24 year old, you don’t immediately think of drafting an 18 year old with pick 30 to replace him do you?

I do, though more so due to the age and stage of career Kade Simpson is in. When Docherty returns in 2018, Simpson may well be done. So the timing given that is probably right, regardless of how ready-to-go or otherwise Stoddart may be.

As with KPPs, you need a succession plan mostly, and from a drafting perspective, this is a succession plan that makes sense, allowing a Stoddart to develop, learning off Simpson for a year, then spending the rest of his career potentially with Docherty and learning from him.

Stoddart would be replacing Simpson in 12 months the Docherty blow is on top of that.

Lucky they brought in Mullet but the Blues need to add half back depth and develop the next gen.

Byrne is best 22 when fit and Williamson has shown good signs. The plan was to play Docherty through the midfield to cover the loss of Gibbs, hence the acquisition of Mullett.

Simpson played mostly on the wing last season so a replacement for him would be another winger, but with Docherty going down he may go back to HBF.

I do, though more so due to the age and stage of career Kade Simpson is in. When Docherty returns in 2018, Simpson may well be done. So the timing given that is probably right, regardless of how ready-to-go or otherwise Stoddart may be.

As with KPPs, you need a succession plan mostly, and from a drafting perspective, this is a succession plan that makes sense, allowing a Stoddart to develop, learning off Simpson for a year, then spending the rest of his career potentially with Docherty and learning from him.

Logic would suggest you just Rookie Cam O’Shea as a mature ready made AFL half back, especially given he played for Northern Blues in 2016, and still pick the best available at pick 30. If that’s Stoddart, great. If not, then it’s still the best player you could get for that pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back