Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2017 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logic would suggest you just Rookie Cam O’Shea as a mature ready made AFL half back, especially given he played for Northern Blues in 2016, and still pick the best available at pick 30. If that’s Stoddart, great. If not, then it’s still the best player you could get for that pick.

Already got Mullet as a mature age defender......do you draft two or build for the future?

Martin has more talent in his little toe than literally anyone from the 2013 draft. Give him a decent coaching department, another 4 or 5 kgs and a decent team to play in and he would be the best from that draft.
Great players find a way. I don't really want to knock my own team here, but Freo didn't exactly have super coaching department for a fair while (The Damian Drum era was particularly difficult) and consistently finished down the bottom with only Clive to help out ;) But, Pav (who was undersized for a KPP) managed to go OK.

He won 6 AAs

Having said that, Martin's still only 22. He has plenty of time to become an elite mid.

Blues list manager cane out and said the top end picks wont be affected but it may change their focus on a couple of later picks so Id assume that means 30 and 79. 79 is a stretch so 30 likely used on a running half back.

I think it guarantees we will take Boekhurst as a rookie

Great players find a way. I don't really want to knock my own team here, but Freo didn't exactly have super coaching department for a fair while (The Damian Drum era was particularly difficult) and consistently finished down the bottom with only Clive to help out ;) But, Pav (who was undersized for a KPP) managed to go OK.

He won 6 AAs

Having said that, Martin's still only 22. He has plenty of time to become an elite mid.
Hopefully he actually gets midfield minutes under Dew. Playing as a forward in a team that is very Lynch-centric while getting bottom 4 league lows in inside 50s will always make it hard for someone like Martin to show off his skills.

What's the knocks on Clavarino?

People are comparing him to Weitering and his intercept marking stats are astonshing.

Why is he not in the same discussion as Naughton as a top pick?

People are comparing him to Weitering and his intercept marking stats are astonshing.

He’s as slow as a wet week.

Can also see Thomas playing half back next year.

But neither he nor Boekhurst are longer term solutions.

Daisy is too slow and does not penetrate with his kicking so dont think he is suited to half back, actually struggling to see why we offered him a new contract at all. Williamson is probably the most likely to step back into Dochertys role, but would think Boekhurst would add depth. His last month of footy in the seniors was very good.

You obviously haven't seen much of Jack Martin at AFL level if you think that.

I have seen enough, and after being taken in the mini draft he was talked up as the next big thing that would take the comp by storm. He does some exciting things but he is a long way from the player many believed him to be.. I just wonder if Rankine will have the same thing happen.

I have seen enough, and after being taken in the mini draft he was talked up as the next big thing that would take the comp by storm. He does some exciting things but he is a long way from the player many believed him to be.. I just wonder if Rankine will have the same thing happen.

Fair enough. But Martin's only 22 and I think he's a genuine jet. I firmly believe if he was in a better team he'd lead the list of the 22 and unders, including names like the Bont and Zach Merrett.

KM, what are your thoughts on Brayshaw potentially going to Brisbane at #1?

There is talk of Brayshaw going pick one, or if overlooked even maybe pick two, to Fremantle. Crazy stuff!

Brayshaw for mine just isn't in the same conversation with Rayner/LDU/Cerra/Dow. He doesn't have the same weapons or hurt factor. He's more just a good mid, who isn't dominant in any one area to suggest he'll be special.

Fox has an article saying the race for pick 1 is wide open with 5 players in the mix.

Can you recall a draft that a week out there was 4 or 5 genuine chances to go 1?

Certainly not with four/five players in the mix. Shows the variety of opinions this year - which is a great thing as it tells us there are less followers this year and more people making their own evaluations.

Logic would suggest you just Rookie Cam O’Shea as a mature ready made AFL half back, especially given he played for Northern Blues in 2016, and still pick the best available at pick 30. If that’s Stoddart, great. If not, then it’s still the best player you could get for that pick.

O'Shea had a good year for Northern Blues. He was the one Victorian in the VFL v WAFL clash who genuinely looked AFL standard. He's one who is worthy of another chance if a club is looking for a tall rebounding backman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Naughton is an excellent athlete by position - speed, agility, endurance, leap, he's a very strong all-around athlete. Clavarino by contrast isn't athletic and is more just a strong bodied key defender. That's the major difference.

There is talk of Brayshaw going pick one, or if overlooked even maybe pick two, to Fremantle. Crazy stuff!

Brayshaw for mine just isn't in the same conversation with Rayner/LDU/Cerra/Dow. He doesn't have the same weapons or hurt factor. He's more just a good mid, who isn't dominant in any one area to suggest he'll be special.

Thanks KM. This makes me worried about the recent talk of Brisbane considering Brayshaw. It's nice to get a good player but pick 1 needs to be a potential superstar.

Ben Paton, Dom Barry and Haiden Schloithe seem likely to be drafted mid/late-rookie. Just wondering what the knocks are on these three KM? All look AFL-quality players I reckon

Certainly not with four/five players in the mix. Shows the variety of opinions this year - which is a great thing as it tells us there are less followers this year and more people making their own evaluations.

O'Shea had a good year for Northern Blues. He was the one Victorian in the VFL v WAFL clash who genuinely looked AFL standard. He's one who is worthy of another chance if a club is looking for a tall rebounding backman.
Some on the North board were hoping we would lose to Bris and get pick 1. Looks like it will still turn out ok without a stand out number 1 pick.

Last edited:
Some on the North board was hoping we would lose to Bris and get pick 1. Looks like it will still turn out ok without a stand out number 1 pick.

This is exactly why we need a different system for the bottom 8 teams in terms of picks.

Most supporters would want there team to lose the last game of the year if it meant getting pick 1 as oppose to pick 4.

Just happens to be that this year there is no standout.

Ben Paton, Dom Barry and Haiden Schloithe seem likely to be drafted mid/late-rookie. Just wondering what the knocks are on these three KM? All look AFL-quality players I reckon

Paton - not much not to like. As a backman he's a good all-around talent - good ball user, provides run, intercepts and wins his 1v1s. I don't have any major issue. Just being an overager, this years talents will be favoured.

Barry - not much of a ball winner and needs to win more of it in the contest. He's the less convincing of this group, though with his pace and endurance is one who intrigues many.

Schloithe - no major issue now, he's just those years older. He used to be soft and look for draw free kicks at every opportunity, but has cleaned that up and is now a genuine ball winning mid who can do damage up forward. Now he's just a ready-to-go mid/fwd depending on what you need.

Stoddart would be replacing Simpson in 12 months the Docherty blow is on top of that.

Lucky they brought in Mullet but the Blues need to add half back depth and develop the next gen.
Tom Williamson is touted as our Simmo replacement & Ciaran Byrne will step up. No doubt we will draft Stoddart at 30 if available.

Paton - not much not to like. As a backman he's a good all-around talent - good ball user, provides run, intercepts and wins his 1v1s. I don't have any major issue. Just being an overager, this years talents will be favoured.

Barry - not much of a ball winner and needs to win more of it in the contest. He's the less convincing of this group, though with his pace and endurance is one who intrigues many.

Schloithe - no major issue now, he's just those years older. He used to be soft and look for draw free kicks at every opportunity, but has cleaned that up and is now a genuine ball winning mid who can do damage up forward. Now he's just a ready-to-go mid/fwd depending on what you need.
What's Schloithe's pace/skill like? Has he been overlooked because he is another slow inside mid?

Brayshaw for mine just isn't in the same conversation with Rayner/LDU/Cerra/Dow. He doesn't have the same weapons or hurt factor.

Disagree. He makes all his team mates look better, and doesn’t waste possessions. The four you have named may be sexier to the onlooker, but that doesn’t mean they’re any more valuable to the team.

You love “weapons” and “hurt factor”. Brayshaw definitely has them, you just need to watch more closely to see them.

Where do you see Jordan Johnston going in the draft order and have you heard of any particular clubs
showing interest.

Possible late or rookie pick. Have not heard him linked to any specific club, but he is one who is in the mix with his athleticism and tricks up front.

What's Schloithe's pace/skill like? Has he been overlooked because he is another slow inside mid?

Moves well enough. More quick to react and reads the play early than someone who is super quick so he won't be breaking the lines at AFL level.

Skills solid. Good finisher and good set shot kick. Hits his targets around the ground and makes sound decisions without being a freak of a creator by foot or anything flashy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back