Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2019 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I respect your opinion and reading your reasoning leads me to believe yours and many others overall assessment of Walsh is wrong.

Gaff and Walsh are not in the same category in my view. At all.

Walsh is a contested animal who can rack up big numbers on the outside. He has elements of Gaff’s game but overall has just as much of Cripps game which is what makes him an incredible player.

Walsh’s contested game is as good as any I’ve seen in a first year player. His ability to stand up in tackles and get his hands free is Judd like. Better than any first year player from what I’ve seen since Dangerfield.

Saying Walsh is like Gaff is like saying Judd is like Gaff. It’s selling him short dramatically. It’s almost as if Walsh’s ability to rack up big numbers is working against him in some ways.

If I was to predict which player Walsh will most likely become, its more like Carlton Judd. His biggest strength overall is not a skill or a physical attribute, it’s his will power. This will lead him to become a match winner.

Dangerfield only played two games in his first season and didn't have much of an impact, and really it took until his fifth season until he became one of the competition's premier players, after being more an impact player who had his moments before that.

Prime Judd was the best in the competition. I'm not seeing that with Walsh, nor anything comparable to Dangerfield in his prime. A 5-15 standard mid in the game is my projection at this time for Walsh.

Better than Gaff, and I'll go back to my comparison from last year, but something like Josh Kelly probably is the closest thing to what Walsh will become. I favour Kelly's skills, but I see Walsh as achieving fairly consistently the type of numbers Kelly managed in 2017 and having better durability which means better career value.

Dangerfield only played two games in his first season and didn't have much of an impact, and really it took until his fifth season until he became one of the competition's premier players, after being more an impact player who had his moments before that.

Prime Judd was the best in the competition. I'm not seeing that with Walsh, nor anything comparable to Dangerfield in his prime. A 5-15 standard mid in the game is my projection at this time for Walsh.

Better than Gaff, and I'll go back to my comparison from last year, but something like Josh Kelly probably is the closest thing to what Walsh will become. I favour Kelly's skills, but I see Walsh as achieving fairly consistently the type of numbers Kelly managed in 2017 and having better durability which means better career value.

What I’m referring to with Dangerfield happened in the glimpses we saw of him in his first year. Specifically in his debut game against the bombers where he stood up in tackles then at West Adelaide where he was almost unstoppable in the contest.

Walsh is already virtually untackleable. Always gets his arms free unless there is a player literally tackling him as he receives the ball.

He could potentially add 5kg over the course of his career, he’s already incredibly strong as a teenager, I can’t see him not becoming Judd like.

Also factor in his thirst for the contest and hunger to win games, I see this part of his character already being greater than a Gaff or Kelly. He’s a never say die player like a Selwood or Judd, regularly tries to physically impose himself when the team is struggling.

I firmly believe that you are underrating the man. But we will wait and see.

]

It is just people attempting to find faults in the best rookie season in a very long time.
The fact Walsh would be in the top 1% in terms of endurance running is x factor alone.
Then you add his decision making and two way running, the guy is elite.

It’s like people think no part of his game will develop other than his ability to accumulate disposals

Dan Hannebery pre-injury? All-action running midfield accumulator with a good contested game but slightly scratchy disposal.

Walsh will be better than prime Hannebery. Walsh is a more reliable kick and a more complete footballer.

What I’m referring to with Dangerfield happened in the glimpses we saw of him in his first year. Specifically in his debut game against the bombers where he stood up in tackles then at West Adelaide where he was almost unstoppable in the contest.

Walsh is already virtually untackleable. Always gets his arms free unless there is a player literally tackling him as he receives the ball.

He could potentially add 5kg over the course of his career, he’s already incredibly strong as a teenager, I can’t see him not becoming Judd like.

Also factor in his thirst for the contest and hunger to win games, I see this part of his character already being greater than a Gaff or Kelly. He’s a never say die player like a Selwood or Judd, regularly tries to physically impose himself when the team is struggling.

I firmly believe that you are underrating the man. But we will wait and see.

Walsh will get stronger and expand his ball winning capabilities. And being light and already a strong ball winner is a good indication that that will be a key strength. I agree he can stand up through tackles and that's an asset. What I'm not seeing is that burst of a Judd or that impact per possession Judd provides.

Walsh could be of similar quality to Selwood, though again slightly behind for mine with my expectations of Walsh forward of centre and as a leader not as high.

If Walsh shows Kelly levels of output, I am super happy. Kelly is certainly in the top half. It is interesting that you think Smith will be even better than Josh Kelly.

Personal opinion perhaps, but I'd have prime Hannebery clearly above Gaff - when he was on the park (which I admit is a significant qualifier). He was in the conversation as Sydney's best player across that 2014-2016 period.

Different players who brought different things to the table. I slightly prefer prime Gaff. Hannebery clearly had the better contested side to his game. Gaff the much more skilled and faster.

Hannebery was viewed by many as Sydney's best during those years, but as a forward Franklin was in my view Sydney's best with Josh Kennedy the best mid. And Kennedy I found for a long time grossly underrated. Kennedy doesn't have the flash or hurt factor, but he was that premier stoppage player in the game during that period and was the equivalent then just about of what Cripps is today.

If Walsh shows Kelly levels of output, I am super happy. Kelly is certainly in the top half. It is interesting that you think Smith will be even better than Josh Kelly.

This is my suggestion. If Walsh becomes a more durable Josh Kelly, that's a good outcome. And he's tracking that way.

Smith I look at and I see his tools. Comparing him to Kelly or Walsh for that matter. Smith I favour for acceleration, skills and I also see greater scope to develop as a contested ball winner as a mid with that strength in addition to his acceleration. I also look at his capabilities to rack up the ball as similar, but he's just not getting those same minutes around the ball. If he does, he can be one of the competition's better 3-10 mids potentially assuming a clean run of health, good development and regular midfield opportunity.

Walsh will be better than prime Hannebery. Walsh is a more reliable kick and a more complete footballer.

Walsh will get stronger and expand his ball winning capabilities. And being light and already a strong ball winner is a good indication that that will be a key strength. I agree he can stand up through tackles and that's an asset. What I'm not seeing is that burst of a Judd or that impact per possession Judd provides.

Walsh could be of similar quality to Selwood, though again slightly behind for mine with my expectations of Walsh forward of centre and as a leader not as high.

Walsh shanks a few kicks but he regularly produces decisive pieces of play. He gets us into games when we are struggling. Just last week he unlocked our scoring with a deft kick inside 50.

If I could describe his possessions in one word it would be ‘intent.’ Even if he doesn’t hit the target, his aim is to go for the jugular with almost every disposal. A rare attribute.

Often I see Cripps trying to get the ball to the closest teammate who is free. With Walsh, you can see his disposal has the sole intent of getting the ball to the goals. He will hold onto the ball until a path to goal presents itself. Often this makes his disposal look bad, but I see that if it were any other player in our team, that disposal would have been a safer option.

Walsh is a very different player to Kelly in my view. Kelly is very balanced and very adept at avoiding tackles/pressure. Kelly actually reminds me more of a Shaun Burgoyne type player the way he glides through traffic. Walsh plays more like an inside midfielder who breaks tackles with strength and intensity of movement. Everything he does is intense where as Kelly has an ease of movement. Again I have to say Walsh is more of a Judd or Selwood type midfielder in this regard.

Last edited:
Where would you rate mcasey among last year's batch of pop's?
Is he only seen as a first round pick due to the lack of talls this year?

Where would you rate mcasey among last year's batch of pop's?
Is he only seen as a first round pick due to the lack of talls this year?

From last year's power rankings if he was in last year's pool and not adjusting any of my power rankings from last year, I'd slot McAsey in at 18 overall. Of the KPPs from last year. A long way behind Lukosius/M.King/Blakey/B King. But favourable to Gown/Williams etc.

Hey Knightmare a little off topic given the recent activity, as this post isn’t about Sam Walsh.
Would like the dogs to draft a classic small pressure forward. Any moving up the ranks in this draft? Is Weightman the best one or are their others outperforming him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Knightmare a little off topic given the recent activity, as this post isn’t about Sam Walsh.
Would like the dogs to draft a classic small pressure forward. Any moving up the ranks in this draft? Is Weightman the best one or are their others outperforming him?

Plenty in this pool. Weightman is a good choice. Kysaiah Pickett brings great energy and impacts games.

Malcolm Rosas is as good of a crumber as there is in this pool. Elijah Taylor is a good talent who can play that role.

All of them second round onwards I'd feel comfortable picking. Paul-Oea Hewago (GC Academy) I also feel is worth a bid for the role, another who can really impact games in that kind of role.

Plenty in this pool. Weightman is a good choice. Kysaiah Pickett brings great energy and impacts games.

Malcolm Rosas is as good of a crumber as there is in this pool. Elijah Taylor is a good talent who can play that role.

All of them second round onwards I'd feel comfortable picking. Paul-Oea Hewago (GC Academy) I also feel is worth a bid for the role, another who can really impact games in that kind of role.
Still no love for Ned Cahill? :think:

Still no love for Ned Cahill? :think:

Have mentioned him a few times this year. Those others I favour to Cahill, but he's one late/rookie who is worth picking.

I really like the small forward crop this year overall. While more a marking small so I didn't mention him in my previous post, Josh Gore is one I really like and feel hasn't received nearly as much attention as he should.

How far will Stephens drop now?

Cooper Stephens I'm assuming you're referring to?

Dylan Stephens should go first round and may go top 10.

Cooper I see featuring second or third round. Certainly deserving off his play last year.

Cooper Stephens I'm assuming you're referring to?

Dylan Stephens should go first round and may go top 10.

Cooper I see featuring second or third round. Certainly deserving off his play last year.
Yea, Cooper. I had him in the top 5 before the year started. He'll be a steal this year.

If the Dogs finish with a 10-12 pick and miss out on McAsey, do you think there are any other KPPs worth grabbing at that pick? Or would it be better to draft a small forward or do some trading?

Hey Knightmare, are you still sticking to your rating of Finn Maginness as not being a particularly high level pick up given his late TAC Cup and NAB League form?

I rate Maginness in the 20s in my own rankings. And I'm open to moving him into the teens, but he's yet to on impact convince me is he a definite top 20 or better player. He could well do that during the finals and I wouldn't be surprised if he makes my October Power Rankings.

If the Dogs finish with a 10-12 pick and miss out on McAsey, do you think there are any other KPPs worth grabbing at that pick? Or would it be better to draft a small forward or do some trading?

Brodie Kemp if there, though I expect him to go earlier. Otherwise I'd address other needs.

A Sam Flanders would be a great fit for the Dogs if available around that pick as a medium forward who can add more scoreboard impact up front and roll through the midfield.

Plenty of good small forwards second round onwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back