Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2019 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way too early (and I suspect he might be eligible for the 2020 draft rather than the 2019 draft) but what do you think of Errol Gulden? From what I have heard of him he sounds like at this stage he is firming as a first round selection in his draft year, maybe even top 10?

Just looked at the stats from today. 36d. May have to catch the replay of the Syd Academy v Tas game. If not I'll have to make time to see a Syd Academy game over the coming weeks. Can find the footy. If he keeps playing like that he'll be chosen for U18 Champs and will get that exposure anyway.

Like Darby Hipwell and Tanner Bruhn for example?

Noticed Darby last week for Sandy but didn't stand out.

Bruhn played a few games last year for Geelong but another who didn't stand out.

Victorians I know of if they've played TAC Cup/NAB League.

Just looked at the stats from today. 36d. May have to catch the replay of the Syd Academy v Tas game. If not I'll have to make time to see a Syd Academy game over the coming weeks. Can find the footy. If he keeps playing like that he'll be chosen for U18 Champs and will get that exposure anyway.

I remember first hearing about him last year when I read this article

In the first game of the National Championships, against the Northern Territory, Gulden recorded statistics rarely seen - 27 kicks, 11 handballs, 10 marks, eight clearances, four tackles and five goals.

At the end of the Championships, which also included games against Queensland and Tasmania, Gulden was named the Most Valuable Player for NSW-ACT and also won the Allan McLean Medal for the best and fairest player in Division Two.

Over the three games, Gulden averaged 31.7 disposals, 4.7 clearances, two goals and 5.7 tackles.

https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2018-07-19/academy-duo-named-in-all-australian-team

Promising Falcons small forward Jay Dahlhaus looked to do a serious knee injury in the 3rd quarter at Mars Stadium this afternoon. Possibly an ACL?

any relation to Luke?

Either way sucks for him. I hope if he is good enough some club takes a chance on him and gives him a rookie spot.
any relation to Luke?

Either way sucks for him. I hope if he is good enough some club takes a chance on him and gives him a rookie spot.
Cousin I'm pretty sure...

Did you watch the Suns v NT and Brisbane v GWS academy games , if so who impressed

Watched Sandy v Northern today and just caught up on Syd v Tas.

Will check out those other div 2 sides over the coming weeks.

As the commentated games of the weeks I'm sure others saw the games. To those who did, feel free to leave comments below on those games. Otherwise if I get the chance later in the week I may check them out.

Was prioritising completing my April power rankings this weekend, so could only fit in the one game today and the replay of the Syd v Tas game as there were a few in that game I wanted to see also.

Watched the double header at Sandy today.. dot points
Sandy
Mahony has killer first touch but is so small big question marks on him being top 15..
I really like ralphsmith and dean.
Burke an le grice are so smooth
I'm gonna be harsh worrell looks soft in the contest
Bell was the best ruck in both games.
Chatted to a recruiter who said 5 or 6 Sandy boys will get drafted

The rest knights suck lol
but I liked Collins and a boy called simonsen who looks great but got wasted up forward.

Eastern have a load of good talls. Feagaimali is Dead set a tank.
Tilly was the best mark all day but he is a top up player?
Clarke is elite my god I want him at my team.
Gawel I liked.

One sided games really..

Watched the double header at Sandy today.. dot points
Sandy
Mahony has killer first touch but is so small big question marks on him being top 15..
I really like ralphsmith and dean.
Burke an le grice are so smooth
I'm gonna be harsh worrell looks soft in the contest
Bell was the best ruck in both games.
Chatted to a recruiter who said 5 or 6 Sandy boys will get drafted

The rest knights suck lol
but I liked Collins and a boy called simonsen who looks great but got wasted up forward.

Eastern have a load of good talls. Feagaimali is Dead set a tank.
Tilly was the best mark all day but he is a top up player?
Clarke is elite my god I want him at my team.
Gawel I liked.

One sided games really..

Eastern are a nice side after looking awful last year. A pleasant surprise.

Sandy I'll be making an effort particularly when the APS boys are all or almost all in to watch as much as I can. Half of their team is draftable. They should have more drafted than any other junior club in the country. I could make a case for 5/6 of them inside my top 30. No love for Byrnes and Bergman for Sandy? Other than Dean who was great up front, I thought they were the two best others. Worrell I preferred back last year. He has the skills and run to play wing, but I haven't loved his start to the season.

Will have my weekly wrap up on ESPN possibly Tuesday, or if not Wednesday due to my April Power Rankings going up I'm hoping tomorrow.

Eastern are a nice side after looking awful last year. A pleasant surprise.

Sandy I'll be making an effort particularly when the APS boys are all or almost all in to watch as much as I can. Half of their team is draftable. They should have more drafted than any other junior club in the country. I could make a case for 5/6 of them inside my top 30. No love for Byrnes and Bergman for Sandy? Other than Dean who was great up front, I thought they were the two best others. Worrell I preferred back last year. He has the skills and run to play wing, but I haven't loved his start to the season.

Will have my weekly wrap up on ESPN possibly Tuesday, or if not Wednesday due to my April Power Rankings going up I'm hoping tomorrow.

I think Watts is another one often overlooked. Looks solid down back.
Thoughts on him knightmare?

I think Watts is another one often overlooked. Looks solid down back.
Thoughts on him knightmare?

Won Sandy's B+F last year as an underager on a team that included the King's, Stocker and Bailey Smith.

He's a good key defender. Hasn't stood out in either of Sandy's first two games. But he's someone I view as a first half of draft prospect at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s a shame, is contested work reminds me of Oliver. If he were to be deemed top 5 would gws be able to match? Like Sydney did with mills

Gws have essendons 1st as well as their own 1st.

They could match a pick 1 bid.

It’s also not hard to see them being able to trade essendons likely very high pick for more points.

If essendons pick comes before greens bid, ie in theory dons have a horror season and gws end with pick 3 and green gets bid on at 4 then gws don’t have enough points but go into deficit for next year but it’s incredibly likely that at least one of Coniglio / kelly or hopper leaves and gives gws more than enough picks.

That’s a shame, is contested work reminds me of Oliver. If he were to be deemed top 5 would gws be able to match? Like Sydney did with mills

With GWS losing a number of mids (Shiel/Scully/Setterfield), I think it's a foregone conclusion.

Similar story to Hopper a few years back (and no setbacks we may be talking about him as the quality of midfielder Oliver has become). There is no reason you wouldn't take someone that good. Irrespective of how stacked the midfield is. We're talking about an incredible footballer.

You're looking at a ceiling of Patrick Cripps, floor of Josh Kennedy. No club irrespective of list needs is passing up that chance.

Gws have essendons 1st as well as their own 1st.

They could match a pick 1 bid.

It’s also not hard to see them being able to trade essendons likely very high pick for more points.

If essendons pick comes before greens bid, ie in theory dons have a horror season and gws end with pick 3 and green gets bid on at 4 then gws don’t have enough points but go into deficit for next year but it’s incredibly likely that at least one of Coniglio / kelly or hopper leaves and gives gws more than enough picks.
Actually as the ladder stands today, GWS have enough points with pick 11 (1329) and pick 47 (316) to match a bid at pick 4 (1626 points after discount).

I have a feeling that you often over value academy players.

Did I overrate Blakey (6) last year?

McFadyen I liked a lot last year but we haven't seen him yet due to injury so no conclusions can be drawn on that choice.

Many will say I severely underrated Tarryn Thomas and Bailey Scott last year. And early signs say they're probably right on Scott.

Did I overrated Brayden Crossley (17) in 2017? This may have been my boldest academy call and I was the only one who rated him top 20 to my knowledge, but his first season I feel justified it and recruiters shouldn't be so surprised if they saw any of his NEAFL play.

I'm not going to ignore talent from outside Victoria just because I'm in Victoria. I do my best to see and appropriately rate interstate talent - see Lukosius/Rankine 1/2 on my draft board last year.

If clubs come up with different evaluations on academy talent as with any talent, that's up to them. They make their own evaluations, I make my own. I'm placing guys on my draft board where I think they should be and based around who I project to have the best career, with no regard for what state they come from, who recruiters prefer or what connections they may have to one club or another.

If I rate someone. It's because they're good and they've shown me something.

Green? He's special. I've never seen as inside mid as dominant at stoppages at the same age. Noah Anderson the way he has started the season is making a STRONG case he should be number one, and if he keeps this formline up he may well earn that spot from Green. Based on what Green did last year. He's my number one at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back