List Mgmt. List Management 2023-24

Remove this Banner Ad

I will put this here. This is how SEN reckons our mids will line up and do a similar thing for the other 17 clubs. I assume Drew starts as they figure we need a defensive mid ahead of another attacking one.

On-ball: Ivan Soldo, Ollie Wines, Zak Butters, Willem Drew

Wings: Connor Rozee, Jason Horne-Francis

Boasting multiple All-Australians and a Brownlow medallist, it’s clear why this midfield unit is so highly regarded throughout the competition.

The main drawback for this group in previous seasons has been the lack of a consistent ruckman, however new recruit Ivan Soldo will be looking to provide some stability to the role.

Rozee and Horne-Francis on the wings does look slightly odd, however with this much talent and a lack of established wingmen, this is the best combination for the squad.

Jack Makeham

Draftees Press Conference

Note- the new training tops and polos look much better in terms of colour combination. This years use of Teal is limited to the collar outlines/macron logo with Black & White taking priority. Finally got the percentage of teal use right!

- Walsh prefers to play in defence and looks at wanting to become a utility type player (forward/back)

I’d actually play Houston and Bergman on the wings. With the third outside player a developing player first (or Boak if they fail). Having Esava and BZT in allows for this.

I think how Wines performs will have the greatest impact on our side. He needs to be full time in the guts. One of Rozee, Butters and HorneFrancis, can rotate through a small forward spot (instead of last year we used a wing spot and put Drewand Ollie out there in the wilderness)

2023 Draftees

- inside the newly finished High Performance Centre locker rooms "We Are Port Adelaide"

F_6oKtGaoAA3uNW

Lol are we really already talking about uncertainty around 3 x 18 year old first year players in key positions?

As for trading out of this draft, our first round pick (which wound up being 20) helped secure Jason Horne-Francis. I think we can live with that.

Pick 25 blew out to 32 and even by this stage of the draft players were getting picked who were expected to go late if drafted at all.

And we turned 2 x future 4th round picks into 2 x current 3rd round picks. Essentially we turned Duursma into Zerk-Thatcher, Anastasopoulos and Charleson.
And the 2023 fourth rounder (which came into what was effectively a late third round /early 4th round pick) we got from Essendon was used to get Lorenz. We turned Duursma into Zerk-Thatcher, Anastaopoulos, Charleston and Lorenz. Given how Duursma's confidence and form crashed (he looked miserably sad) I think we traded him at the right time for both him and us.

I guess we'll have to wait to see if it was a win, loss or draw. I'm obviously more optimistic about it than you are.
I am happy with what we did on draft day.

but a future first + Duursma out, and the highest pick we get back might be in the 30s. That doesn't make any sense. There are a lot of other ways we could have got the picks.

Narkle was playing wing for Essendon VFL last season before we picked him up. Was playing very well by all reports, not sure if that translates to AFL level.

From what I saw of Quinton Narkle at SANFL level he has the attributes to slot into the wing. He has good skills and a bit of run.

Narkle is like a lot of players on our list- they have ability but we cannot seem to find the right position for them to capitalise on that ability. Lachie Jones, Miles Bergman, Jason Horne Francis, Kane Farrell to name a few all have ability and a place at AFL level but exactly where do they fit? Maybe it gets back to our game plan and if players were encouraged to run and kick long and accurately into our forward 50 instead of bombing the ball high in hope we would see these players realise their potential?

Last edited:
I am happy with what we did on draft day.

but a future first + Duursma out, and the highest pick we get back might be in the 30s. That doesn't make any sense. There are a lot of other ways we could have got the picks.
The List is looking pretty good, balanced and not with a lot of fat on it.

The other aspect is that next year we have a whole heap of Father Sons that we might be able to cash in without too much draft capital.

And the year after, get back to drafting best player available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I saw of Quinton Narkle at SANFL level he has the attributes to slot into the wing. He has good skills and a bit of run.

Narkle is like a lot of players on our list- they have ability but we cannot seem to find the right position for them to capitalise on that ability. Lachie Jones, Miles Bergman, Jason Horne Francis, Kane Farrell to name a few all have ability and a place at AFL level but exactly where do they fit? Maybe it gets back to our game plan and if players were encouraged to run and kick long and accurately into our forward 50 instead of bombing the ball high in hope we would see these players realise their potential?

Geelong couldn’t find a position for Narkle either.

He’s an undersized quasi-onballer who is not good enough to be an afl starting onballer and has no real second position or hurt factor as a small player. Has no strengths as an inside ball winner, nor any strengths on the outside.

He’s definitely not a wingman. Not at Geelong, not here. We brought him in no doubt as half forward flanker depth for a coach who likes to play quasi tackling mids in the forward half.

At sanfl level he’s still not even a starting onballer. We preferred other options last year, including a sanfl top up player and a kid built like a 13 year old girl

I’m not sure we play him wing in the sanfl either

He will be a half forward / mid rotation again in our sanfl side.

And he’s a dead cert to get delisted if just one of our new smalls shows anything remotely decent.

What’s it matter if he’s doing his job?

Body shaming still a popular thing is it?
No but compare and contrast Hinkley to Kingsley
Not sure if it’s true but heard a story re Sanderson at the crows. Apparently first day he rocked up he challenged the players to a bench press comp & kicked everyone’s ass, including tippet who was the strongest crow at the time

Attachments

• FED34A3B-0F17-4895-9EEF-489CE9B5DF73.jpeg
    FED34A3B-0F17-4895-9EEF-489CE9B5DF73.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 46
Geelong couldn’t find a position for Narkle either.

He’s an undersized quasi-onballer who is not good enough to be an afl starting onballer and has no real second position or hurt factor as a small player. Has no strengths as an inside ball winner, nor any strengths on the outside.

He’s definitely not a wingman. Not at Geelong, not here. We brought him in no doubt as half forward flanker depth for a coach who likes to play quasi tackling mids in the forward half.

At sanfl level he’s still not even a starting onballer. We preferred other options last year, including a sanfl top up player and a kid built like a 13 year old girl

I’m not sure we play him wing in the sanfl either

He will be a half forward / mid rotation again in our sanfl side.

And he’s a dead cert to get delisted if just one of our new smalls shows anything remotely decent.
This isn't entirely correct. In the SANFL he was played in the roles we wanted him in at AFL level. When the game was on the line in the SANFL he was often thrust into the centre square and with Mead and Hayes were definitely our first choice mids.

Last edited:
This isn't entirely correct. In the SANFL he was played in the roles we wanted him in at AFL level. When the game was on the line in the SANFL he was often thrust into the centre square and with Mead and Hayes were definitely our first choice mids.
Sounds a bit harsh on narkle
Decent depth player
Would prefer him at half forward over Boak or Jhf any day of the week

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. List Management 2023-24

Remove this Banner Ad

Back