List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

I would have never even drafted Marshall. I don't see any AFL ability in him whatsoever. Being tall and athletic doesn't make you a footballer.

Xavier Walsh is younger than Marshall and was a later draft pick than Marshall but has already been playing significantly better football in that same Dresden-esque backline.

Xavier Walsh is a very good player, yes. And physically has been ready to go from day one. Love his attitude.

Anyway, just checking. Our recruiting guys aren't too bad with late picks and they saw something in Marshall. Had a reasonable review on Rookie Me and did well at the Combine. I would persist with him.

Rozee - Bergman - Lachie Jones - Sinn - McCullum our first pick 5 years in a row when we know we are going to get similar players for free via father/son and academy picks. Thats why we are shit at drafting

Sinn is the worst one. Could have had Van Rooyen and kept other draft picks. Also could have had King and De Koning

Curious as to who the similar player is to Rozee?

Lachie Jones was an Academy pick anyway.

But it does show that we like to spend early picks on flankers, which has been a highlighted issue for a while (when we had early picks).

We dont really have any need for Evans next year with Charleson and Anasta plus with BB likely coming in.

Evans, Mckenzie, Boak and Dixon should be all the delistees

Yes Evans should go for those reasons and more.

Think we need to move 6 players on thought.

Assuming we take all of Barrett , Rome and Louie on, I think we should use ideally 2 draft picks before them, we need to get more young talent on the list. I think it’s realistic to be able to move our 3rd up a few spots if we’re worried about it coming after bids, but I’m not.

And we should be looking at 1 or 2 players around the league like perryman , Richard’s, owies, Ainsworth etc.

i don’t think it’s hard to find 2 more players to cut.

How many of them are any good?

I haven’t heard much chatter around bishops kid

None of them are getting much press. I wouldnt bank on getting really excited about any of them yet. It’s good at least 1 is a proper kpp size

Yes Evans should go for those reasons and more.

Think we need to move 6 players on thought.

Assuming we take all of Barrett , Rome and Louie on, I think we should use ideally 2 draft picks before them, we need to get more young talent on the list. I think it’s realistic to be able to move our 3rd up a few spots if we’re worried about it coming after bids, but I’m not.

And we should be looking at 1 or 2 players around the league like perryman , Richard’s, owies, Ainsworth etc.

i don’t think it’s hard to find 2 more players to cut.

None of them are getting much press. I wouldnt bank on getting really excited about any of them yet. It’s good at least 1 is a proper kpp size

I've got Rome and Louie down as rookie listers. Maybe someone might bid on Rome in the national draft, but I doubt anyone would bid on Montgomery

I've got Rome and Louie down as rookie listers. Maybe someone might bid on Rome in the national draft, but I doubt anyone would bid on Montgomery

Yes I agree.

I think that’s all the more reason to make sure we draft a couple of players in the draft before we add them.

Any idea where Barrett is rated? He looked good in the tiny bits I saw. Position and size against him.

Late 2nd at best.

Far more likely 3rd round.

I thought he looks promising. Cat b would be a very nice win.

I can’t see anyone wanting Barrett anywhere near close to second round.

Sub 177cm players need to be elite to get noticed. We’ve had guys like Corey durdin put in pretty high end years pre-draft (from memory Corey was playing seniors in sanfl) for nearly 2 years before drafting and went mid draft.

A fringe sub 177cm quasi mid forward is probably going late unless one recruiter falls in love with him.

40-rookie.

Yes I agree.

I think that’s all the more reason to make sure we draft a couple of players in the draft before we add them.

I can’t see anyone wanting Barrett anywhere near close to second round.

Sub 177cm players need to be elite to get noticed. We’ve had guys like Corey durdin put in pretty high end years pre-draft (from memory Corey was playing seniors in sanfl) for nearly 2 years before drafting and went mid draft.

A fringe sub 177cm quasi mid forward is probably going late unless one recruiter falls in love with him.

40-rookie.
Agreed. Plus there is always less interest shown by other clubs in academy and father sons, especially those likely to fall later in the draft.

Yes Evans should go for those reasons and more. Think we need to move 6 players on thought. Assuming we take all of Barrett , Rome and Louie on, I think we should use ideally 2 draft picks before them, we need to get more young talent on the list. I think it’s realistic to be able to move our 3rd up a few spots if we’re worried about it coming after bids, but I’m not. And we should be looking at 1 or 2 players around the league like perryman , Richard’s, owies, Ainsworth etc. i don’t think it’s hard to find 2 more players to cut. None of them are getting much press. I wouldnt bank on getting really excited about any of them yet. It’s good at least 1 is a proper kpp size
Have you watched him play? He's recently turned 20 years old, a 200cm late pick who is bulking up at a slightly faster than glacial pace that is typical of Port. Do you not expect him to make mistakes playing against senior experienced sanfl forwards and have to learn as a tall gangly teenager in a defence that is constantly under siege? Sometimes it seems like people here think development is arriving as a fully formed player and just waiting for your turn to play
philthy05 where do you get 6 changes from? I was always under the impression it was 3-4 delisting? Surely Boak, Dixon, McKenzie, F.Evans, look to trade DBJ and/or Burton if they hold any currency. Clurey hangs on as still contracted and provides leadership to the Magpies. Think DBJ may be our Marcus Smart, a leader of the group but is a momentum killer.

Ford Fairlane bang on, we drafted a baby Giraffe who was promising against his cohort only two years ago. This isn’t 1976 where the kids play in the 19’s and a few reserves games until they are 24. We have recruited a Key Back, allow the kid time to develop. If we cut him before he is 22 we aren’t serious about drafting and developing at all.

I’m pretty keen to see the group of kids for a year outside of Ken’s influence. He HAS to go this year and new coach can assess Narkle, McIntee, Williams, Sinn, etc. themself. Keen to cut bare minimum, take Benny, Rome, Louis and even Francou if we can’t get back into the draft by way of DBJ and/or Burton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

philthy05 where do you get 6 changes from? I was always under the impression it was 3-4 delisting? Surely Boak, Dixon, McKenzie, F.Evans, look to trade DBJ and/or Burton if they hold any currency. Clurey hangs on as still contracted and provides leadership to the Magpies. Think DBJ may be our Marcus Smart, a leader of the group but is a momentum killer.

Ford Fairlane bang on, we drafted a baby Giraffe who was promising against his cohort only two years ago. This isn’t 1976 where the kids play in the 19’s and a few reserves games until they are 24. We have recruited a Key Back, allow the kid time to develop. If we cut him before he is 22 we aren’t serious about drafting and developing at all.

I’m pretty keen to see the group of kids for a year outside of Ken’s influence. He HAS to go this year and new coach can assess Narkle, McIntee, Williams, Sinn, etc. themself. Keen to cut bare minimum, take Benny, Rome, Louis and even Francou if we can’t get back into the draft by way of DBJ and/or Burton.

I would want 6 changes so we can still hit the draft.

If we only cut the 4 players, and have those 3 f/s / ngas come in we only get to draft one player.

As I also said, I expect we’re in the market for a player like perryman or someone as well.

6 would allow us to get some list turnover this year. We should do 5 at least. We’ve got too many list holes to hang all our hopes on those f/s / nga players

Losing pick 7(ish) isnt ideal but let's not forget that Soldo was the no. 1 ranked ruckman in the comp before being injured & i still (maybe stupidly) believe Esava has the potential to be a strong key back under the right game plan.

Anyway, what was I saying? Sack Hinkley.
Jesus, what magic potion have you been drinking.

Esava has looked like a complete bust, and has never, here or at Geelong, looked like anything more than another mediocre fringe player.

Soldo had a couple good games and a few poor ones, there's no clear evidence he is going to be anywhere near worth the value we paid.

As I said in another thread. When we traded for pick 6 in the Rozee year it cost us multiple picks and players. The price we've paid for Ivan and Esava is massive in comparison.

I’m more disappointed with our trading tbh. It’s probably helped Hinkley never bottom out without ever allowing us to draft as strongly as we might have. That, and never nailing key position players through the draft, for whatever reason.
Doing trading is fine if done properly, Port doesn't. They trash players on the way out, ensuring we get unders. Then let others dictate values of players in, overpaying for them. Yeah, other clubs / players think we're good to deal with, because the club mismanages the list to such points that we're desperate for certain types of players, so they know the club will cough up overs.

Doing trading is fine if done properly, Port doesn't. They trash players on the way out, ensuring we get unders. Then let others dictate values of players in, overpaying for them. Yeah, other clubs / players think we're good to deal with, because the club mismanages the list to such points that we're desperate for certain types of players, so they know the club will cough up overs.
Hmmm which players have we ‘trashed’ on the way out?

This most recent trade period is tough, outside of that where have we been dictated too?

Philthy and I disagree on this, but a lot of media pundits suggested a mid second round pick was appropriate for Sav. Geelong said no initially and wanted more, we held our nerve. Soldo was in contract, every team pays more for them. Duursma for an average key back and some picks, is not unreasonable for what Xavier actually produces. Sweet for some third rounders is about what teams pay for rucks.

Ryder we said a first and second rounder and that’s what we paid. Essendon were talking about Wingard or Wines for him.

Dixon we started a first rounder and work around the edges, that’s what happened.

Alir we got for unders. Schulz we got for unders. Finlayson we got for unders.

The JHF and Rioli trade - hard to read with all the moving parts but broadly seems reasonable.

Fantasia hurts but a second and third rounder at the time, for the potential of a fit Raz was not unreasonable. Some media pundits were suggesting a late first rounder or wines for him. Hindsight says it was a bad trade, but that’s a rough way to look at it.

Sinn trade was dumb at the time and worse now. Not sure that was another club holding us over a barrel though.

Tell me which trades were we fleeced on?

I think the club just gets it done with minimal fuss.

My question is who can we put up for trade that would give us good reward

So players that have value but aren’t core. Wines, Marshall, Lord, DBJ, Burton - all would have value. DBJ maybe could get us good value without hurting the team too much and would have some interest. Wines has value but don’t think he is leaving and we would need to replace his role. Burton I don’t think would have great value. Marshall or Lord might get us the best value, and I don’t think they would hurt us too much but we could get bitten in the arse. I’ve said why I think Marshall actually might be a good trade option elsewhere.

Sinn should get moved on, might get something and he appears too chronically injured to become a useful player for us.

So players that have value but aren’t core. Wines, Marshall, Lord, DBJ, Burton - all would have value. DBJ maybe could get us good value without hurting the team too much and would have some interest. Wines has value but don’t think he is leaving and we would need to replace his role. Burton I don’t think would have great value. Marshall or Lord might get us the best value, and I don’t think they would hurt us too much but we could get bitten in the arse. I’ve said why I think Marshall actually might be a good trade option elsewhere.

Sinn should get moved on, might get something and he appears too chronically injured to become a useful player for us.
I'd prefer not to lose any players (other than delistings) until we have new coaching in place. Losing a young player for another drafted player is at best a zero sum game and possibly a loss.

Where our improvement comes is by losing Hinkley and maybe a couple others and implementing a decent gameplan.

Hmmm which players have we ‘trashed’ on the way out?

This most recent trade period is tough, outside of that where have we been dictated too?

Philthy and I disagree on this, but a lot of media pundits suggested a mid second round pick was appropriate for Sav. Geelong said no initially and wanted more, we held our nerve. Soldo was in contract, every team pays more for them. Duursma for an average key back and some picks, is not unreasonable for what Xavier actually produces. Sweet for some third rounders is about what teams pay for rucks.

Ryder we said a first and second rounder and that’s what we paid. Essendon were talking about Wingard or Wines for him.

Dixon we started a first rounder and work around the edges, that’s what happened.

Alir we got for unders. Schulz we got for unders. Finlayson we got for unders.

The JHF and Rioli trade - hard to read with all the moving parts but broadly seems reasonable.

Fantasia hurts but a second and third rounder at the time, for the potential of a fit Raz was not unreasonable. Some media pundits were suggesting a late first rounder or wines for him. Hindsight says it was a bad trade, but that’s a rough way to look at it.

Sinn trade was dumb at the time and worse now. Not sure that was another club holding us over a barrel though.

Tell me which trades were we fleeced on?

I think the club just gets it done with minimal fuss.
Ryder we payed the ‘no chance of being suspended’ price, despite a suspension likely. We payed a ‘always plays 22 games and doesn’t have concrete hands and sees perfectly at night’ price for Dixon. We payed a ‘isn’t built like a 13 year old girl with an eating disorder, who breaks down lifting a fork to his mouth’ price for Fantasia. Trash talked, we turned 2 times AA Wingard into a player we then got chips for (Duursma) and a big average (at best) Burton.

Crows offering Perryman 850k and more midfield time.

I can't see him choosing us unless he has already agreed?

Players do love using the Crows to get their offers up.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sounds like he actually wants to stay with GWS but squeeze as much out of them as he can. GWS and Hawks both have 700k in front of him and not likely to move from that.

Maybe we dropped out at 800k?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Back