Los votos, Adel v Sydney R4

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Los votos - Adel v Sydney R4

dyertribe said:
It looks like we'll have to agree to disagree here, because it's my contention you're not only overestimating his game (I've said he was OK, not poor, just to clarify any misunderstandings), but you're also underestimating the influence of Bassett in helping him out.

Which was really odd, because I thought Micky O should have been smarter and dragged Bassett away from Hall and Rutten. A number of times, Bassett was able to get to the contest purely because O'Loughlin dragged him towards it.

I'm with you DT, I don't think Truck was outstanding, but he played a pretty good solid game. I couldn't believe how slack Hall was at times at not following Rutten down the ground !

Wayne's-World said:
Really surprised Macleod is not getting more plaudits for his game today?

Thought he was, as described on TV, the general in the back half.

In fact I would NOT have had Perrie in my top 5 - take those last qtr marks out and IMO he was average.

Great games from Stiffy, Skippy, Reilly,and Macca.

One of those team games you can almost say all played well. :)

Those last quarter marks (and the ones in the third) broke the Swans back and won us the game. If you take those marks out then we could've lost. I gave him BOG basically because I thought the forward line won us the game in the 2nd half and Perrie was the general. The pressure applied to the Swans when coming out of defence was immense, virtually keeping the ball in our half for about 60-70% of the second half.

Agree with your point about Macca. Not only mopped up everything across half back but also made Sydney effectively a man down as Crouch was useless after Macca went into the backline.

5- Ben Hudson - super performance in ruck. Took a couple of beautiful marks and at times plays like a rover when the ball hits the ground.

4 - Ian Perrie – four goals were vital. Was a target all game but just couldn’t quite stick them in the first half. Brings other players into the game though.

3- Skipworth – the form he showed before his injury last year. If he keeps this up he could save his career.

2- Mattner – terrific in the first half. He kicked on his right foot again, used the ball well and kicked a goal. I am on the Mattner train.

1 - Torney – great performacnein defence. Lots of run and rebound. Love his courage to fly for marks even though a couple didn’t quite stick.

Team Man

3 McLeod – great last quarter when game was still in the balacne.

2 Bassett – poor start but receovered well and helped out Rutten as well as quelling O’Loughlin.

1 Thomspon – puts his head over the footy and kept trying even after a quiet first half with some very useful touches after halt time.

Rookie

Rutten – solid job on Hall. Really burnt him when Hall refused to chase.

Crow-mosone said:
DT,

disagree, these guys do not have to be discussed every week. sometimes their performance does warrant such scrutiny on a day to day basis.

I take your point, but it's very easy to say "I told you so" on the rare occasion they do play a blinder - which in Skipworth's case, has surprised us all.

dyertribe said:
I take your point, but it's very easy to say "I told you so" on the rare occasion they do play a blinder - which in Skipworth's case, has surprised us all.

It has. hasn't it.

Off memory, that was the first thing I posted after the game - just how surprisingly good a game Skippy played agaisnst the Swans.

He's been competent on a few occasions, but this would be the first time he's played such a significant role, and let's hope the lad kicks right on with the job.

Having said that he's never been on my '"I hate Matthew Smith and ...... " list. ;)

macca23 said:
It has. hasn't it.

Off memory, that was the first thing I posted after the game - just how surprisingly good a game Skippy played agaisnst the Swans.

He's been competent on a few occasions, but this would be the first time he's played such a significant role, and let's hope the lad kicks right on with the job.

Exactly right, just harking back to those who've pointed out he managed a few 20+ possession games last year in regards to my comment about that achievement earlier.

Yesterday was the first time Skippy presented and hunted the ball with authority constantly. We're not talking about the odd shark here and there, or a loose-ball get, or half-a-dozen leads to space or wing where he can't hurt anyone with his 40m pies... we're talking about repeatedly going after the pill in tough situations and attacking contests where he was always outgunned in height and size.

He actually looked like a bona fide player and one we couldn't do without on the day, rather than an SANFL-level kid who is busting a gut but clearly looks out of his depth as in the past.

I was pleasantly surprised and impressed with him yesterday, and like you and everyone else here, I can only hope he goes on with it.

POTY

5 - Mattner - What more can I say about Marty......he is really starting to look like he belongs in that side and is taking a hell of a lot of pressure off the other guys around the midfield.
4 - Torney - was everywhere again yesterday...the consumate HBF
3 - Johncock - Stiffy is fast becoming Mr Fixit !!...he would be leading the B&F atm.
2 - Thompson - 3 goals were telling - and is as tough as they come....his best attribute IMO is keeping his feet in a ground level contest.
1 - Hudson - did a mighty fine job all day - his second and third efforts are fantastic......I was screaming at the TV during the last qtr when Biglands was on the ball and the game was still in the balance......."Where the ******** is Huddo????.........********ing Craig....is he injured ?????...get him on......... :mad: "......and I was relieved when the camera cut to the boundry and he was waiting to come on !!!

btw - apologies to Skippy - I thought he was great.

BTM

3 - Hudson - worked like a Trojan against Ball and Jolly
2 - Bassett - 3rd man up against Hall was very important
1 - Rutten - did well against Hall although beaten pants down on a couple of occasions.........like the way he starts to run from defence late in games......really breaks things up

ROTY

1 - Rutten

Voting tally up to Musha_13 is

POTY:

Perrie 72
Rutten 14
Skipworth 128
Thompson 44
Mattner 79
Basset 11
Doughty 1
Hudson 24
Mcleod 23
Torney 41
Johncock 20
Reilly 9

BTM

Hudson 54
Rutten 16
Torney 20
Basset 48
Johncock 16
Goodwin 1
Welsh 1
Mcleod 8
Perrie 6
Mattner 7
Shirley 2
Ricciuto 3
Thompson 2
Hentshel 2

ROTY

Ruttnen 29

BOG
5. Skipworth - made me eat my word with his best game for AFC.
4. Hudson - now our #1 ruckman as can mark & rove too.
3. McLeod - 2 goals & great drive out of defence - now using the ball like old.
2. Mattner - brilliant early, even though he faded out.
1. Torney - another solie effort after last week.

BTM
3. Hudson
2. Bassett - double teamed Hall when he could.
1. Johncock - did plenty of the hard stuff.

BR
1. Rutten - even though he was out muscled by Hall a few times, stuck to his guns & Hall was never a matchwinner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dyertribe said:
I was pleasantly surprised and impressed with him yesterday, and like you and everyone else here, I can only hope he goes on with it.
:eek: Sorry I don't hope he goes on with it as I'll continue to stick my neck out and say he's the WRONG TYPE of player for a small.

He'll in most cases get exposed against better opposition

Kane McGoodwin said:
BOG
5. Skipworth - made me eat my word with his best game for AFC.
4. Hudson - now our #1 ruckman as can mark & rove too.
3. McLeod - 2 goals & great drive out of defence - now using the ball like old.
2. Mattner - brilliant early, even though he faded out.
1. Torney - another solie effort after last week.

BTM
3. Hudson
2. Bassett - double teamed Hall when he could.
1. Johncock - did plenty of the hard stuff.

BR
1. Rutten - even though he was out muscled by Hall a few times, stuck to his guns & Hall was never a matchwinner.

Couldn't agree more with your selection order and comments on all counts ;)

POTY

5- Mattner, hard run, hard kick, Hard at it!(showed he's not just mr Tackle)
4- Thompson, HARD nut
3- McLeod, set it all up in the last qtr espicially
2- Skipworth, best game for the club by a mile
1- Hentschell, when shifted back played a very important role

BTM

3- Roo, played all over the ground today & played more as a role player - hard to do when you're used to being the main man
2- Huddo, Finally a ruckman who can play around the ground!
1- Bassett, spat the dummy so far i recon Thorpie got spit all over him!

Rookie

Thought Rutten tried hard but if Hall had of kicked straight could have had 4 or 5 on him. Still showed some good promise though with his run

Another great all round team performance :D

POTY
5 – Skipworth
4 – Mattner
3 – Thompson
2 – Reilly
1 – Doughty

BTM
3 – Bassett
2 – Johncock
1 – Hudson

Rookie
1 - Rutten

Mad Dog said:
POTY

5 - Mattner - What more can I say about Marty......he is really starting to look like he belongs in that side and is taking a hell of a lot of pressure off the other guys around the midfield.
4 - Torney - was everywhere again yesterday...the consumate HBF
3 - Johncock - Stiffy is fast becoming Mr Fixit !!...he would be leading the B&F atm.
2 - Thompson - 3 goals were telling - and is as tough as they come....his best attribute IMO is keeping his feet in a ground level contest.
1 - Hudson - did a mighty fine job all day - his second and third efforts are fantastic......I was screaming at the TV during the last qtr when Biglands was on the ball and the game was still in the balance......."Where the ******** is Huddo????.........********ing Craig....is he injured ?????...get him on......... :mad: "......and I was relieved when the camera cut to the boundry and he was waiting to come on !!!

btw - apologies to Skippy - I thought he was great.

BTM

3 - Hudson - worked like a Trojan against Ball and Jolly
2 - Bassett - 3rd man up against Hall was very important
1 - Rutten - did well against Hall although beaten pants down on a couple of occasions.........like the way he starts to run from defence late in games......really breaks things up

ROTY

1 - Rutten
Apologies to Skippy hey. You couldnt fine a spot for him in your top 5?? I've got to admit that I couldnt believe I was doing it but I did manage to put him in my top 5. It felt kind of weird though.

POTY
5 – Mattner (his direct long kicking is a joy to watch)
4 – Skipworth (humble pie for me - after his performances late last year and this year now he is slowly getting out of the danger delisting zone)
3 – Johncock (i just hope he plays up back all year = AA status with his rebound,fierce tackling & tough play)
2 – Torney
1 – McLeod

apologies to Hudson

BTM
3 – Hudson (his tireless work,2nd & 3rd efforts and his clearances - PS i thought Biglands did ok as well)
2 – Bassett (soon to surpass Percy Jones)
1 – Rutten (great run out of defence)

Rookie
1 - Rutten

noddy said:
Don't know if anyone else noticed it but when Huddo went to the bench for a rest the Swannies hit back.

I actually popped on to this board to make that point
Couldn't help but notice that when Hudson was in the ruck the Crows were on top, but when Biglands came on it was the Swans in control

I couldn't understand why Craig decided to bring him off exactly half way through each quarter (except the last)

I must declare my bias when it comes to Huddo as I picked him up at a bargain basement price in a fantasy football comp, and am impressed with the way he's come on - so naturally I'd like to see him get more game time (maybe not against Sydney in future ;) )

Votes to JohnnyPanther

Skipworth 145
Hudson 28
Mcleod 30
Mattner 95
Torney 44
Thompson 51
Hentshel 1
Reilly 11
Doughty 2
Johncock 23
Perrie 72