Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Clubs like RICH & GEEL benefitted with patience over hysteria ……. Rowe is an uneducated cretin …. that’s saying a lot , the Olsen comments we’ll and truly deserved
Were Geelong patient with Ayres when they refused to offer him a contract extension after poor 1998 and 1999 seasons?

Were Richmond patient with Terry Wallace after 5 seasons there? Or did they sack him?

Move on poor coaches. Be patient with good coaches. Is Nicks one?

People are weird ….. illogical …. you want all the Crows hierarchy gone … that won’t happen

It's not illogical to want our hierarchy that hasn't made finals in 7 years gone

You weirdly think those same people you want gone …. are going to choose a newbie coach, who will immediately take us to a flag

If we want them gone, why would we want them to select a new coach? Makes no sense

Every coach selection has been criticised on this board, bar Blight ….

Because they haven't had any success

Clubs like RICH & GEEL benefitted with patience over hysteria …….

Both clubs remained patient with coaches that previously made finals. Nicks has never made finals. Geelong hasn't missed the finals for 7 consecutive years since before the Crows were created.

the Olsen comments we’ll and truly deserved

Criticising the media for fair commentary is pathetic dictator behaviour

Be careful what you wish for

What, we'll wish for something and do even worse than our checks notes bottom 4 position?

The Coach is one part of the puzzle …. he’s not the puzzle though
There are exceptions of course …. but labelling Nicks as the root cause is folly …. he’s done exactly what was expected in a rebuild …. but explore all the factors behind the 5th year stumble

Nicks has rebuilt the team from a non-finalist to a non-finalist. From a team that finished 11th to a team that is currently 15th. From a team that won 10 matches to a team that has won 4 matches in half a season. He has the lowest win rate of any coach we've ever had.

If that's the expectation of a rebuild coach after 5 seasons, the expectations are Mariana Trench low

Capt hindsight observation ….. no-one was putting Hardwick on any pedestal for simply making finals

Supporters still wanted him gone in 2016

There is no equivalence whatsoever between our situation with Nicks, and Richmond's situation with Hardwick

Were Geelong patient with Ayres when they refused to offer him a contract extension after poor 1998 and 1999 seasons?

Were Richmond patient with Terry Wallace after 5 seasons there? Or did they sack him?

Move on poor coaches. Be patient with good coaches. Is Nicks one?
I’ve said B4 …. judge a coach based on the list quality at his disposal

Is he maximising the talent on the list …. a young list experiencing injuries, hasn’t the depth, nor the fitness levels & mental strength to run out 4 qtrs of AFL footy

NORTH demonstrated that yesterday … and they have minimal injuries to key players

But, you’ll see, what you want to see …. what your biases determine

Nicks lost 13 games in a row with a team that included Walker, Sloane, Talia, Smith, Brown, Laird, Lynch, the Crouch brothers, Seedsman, Keays and multiple developing first round picks such as Fogarty and Jones

Earlier this year he took a team with no significant injury issues, which won 11 games the prior year, and lost the first four games in a row. Since then the team has gone backwards in wins and percentage

Is he maximising the talent on the list ….

No

a young list experiencing injuries

We had no significant injuries when we lost the first four games in a row

hasn’t the depth

We don't have any depth because Nicks consistently selects from about 25 players and doesn't rotate the squad

nor the fitness levels

One of our highest paid football department members is our fitness boss. The majority of our side have done four to eight AFL pre-seasons

mental strength to run out 4 qtrs of AFL footy

It's the coach's job to develop mental strength on game day

Is he maximising the talent on the list …. a young list experiencing injuries, hasn’t the depth, nor the fitness levels & mental strength to run out 4 qtrs of AFL footy

NORTH demonstrated that yesterday … and they have minimal injuries to key players

Also judge them by how they learn from their coaching mistake (we all make mistake and coaches are only human). Nicks continue to make them and even worst he doesn't own up to them. Mitchell played a similar game plan to Nicks game plan that he played in the first 4 weeks and owned up to the mistake and apologies to the supporters post game.

People are weird ….. illogical …. you want all the Crows hierarchy gone … that won’t happen

You weirdly think those same people you want gone …. are going to choose a newbie coach, who will immediately take us to a flag

Every coach selection has been criticised on this board, bar Blight …. but the next one will be different to all those criticised …. of course

Clubs like RICH & GEEL benefitted with patience over hysteria ……. Rowe is an uneducated cretin …. that’s saying a lot , the Olsen comments we’ll and truly deserved
As usual, another swing and a miss from you.

Both Richmond and Geelong benefited from a strong board and CEO making hard calls, conducting full reviews without exclusion, and forcing change despite the misgivings of their respective coaches. They didn't make excuses, they acted proactively.

As our good mate AmericanCrow quotes: "you are what your record says you are".

The single biggest issue we have at Adelaide is the lack of accountability of board and staff. No other organisation would be arrogant enough to tell their supporters to shut up, back off or go find another club. That arrogance is borne from being untouchable.

All your drivel is meaningless. Our record is:

2 flags in 34 years
0 flags since 98
1 grand final since 98
0 finals since 2017

Our club, the one borne from the South Australian football community and underpinned by pride and fierce interstate rivalry, has become a parody, hijacked by the AFL and their grovelling pack of good old boys and self interested past players.

I wouldn't want to play for us right now. The coach is in damage control and should have been put out of his misery weeks ago. Our list management committee is not scrutinised, our player development is amateur and we have an entrenched "we know best" internal culture.

You are what your record says you are.

Coaches inherit a list

But 5 years is more than enough time to put your stamp on it

What we're seeing is increasingly Nicks and what he's built, rather that whatever he was lumped with after 2019.

We're seeing that he's backed in the wrong seniors and invested in the wrong youngsters, meaning he keeps having to start over and we'll perennially be a young team. He's wasted players in the wrong roles. Ultimately hasn't built anything of value and we are going backwards.

I wouldn't want to play for us right now. The coach is in damage control and should have been put out of his misery weeks ago. Our list management committee is not scrutinised, our player development is amateur and we have an entrenched "we know best" internal culture.

You are what your record says you are.

And it's crazy we think we know best.

We haven't achieved anything since the 90s, and most of the club personnel that delivered us those flags aren't part of the club any more

No one at the club, and the club itself, should be thinking they are hot shit

Clubs like RICH & GEEL benefitted with patience over hysteria …….

Those clubs were making finals and falling over at the last few hurdles.

The reviews at those clubs were about taking the step from finals participant to a premiership.

The AFC hasn’t taken any steps. They’re still on step zero, as they were at the end of 2019.

Where did five years go?

Who is accountable?

Nobody?

And it's crazy we think we know best.

We haven't achieved anything since the 90s, and most of the club personnel that delivered us those flags aren't part of the club any more

No one at the club, and the club itself, should be thinking they are hot shit
Exactly, but it's rare that a board or executive has the balls to self assess. This is where accountability comes in. An executive should set out to achieve the goals set by the board. The board is held to account by its shareholders.

In our case, the lack of accountability results in comfort and arrogance at board and executive level. If the financials dropped off a cliff, maybe then we'd see some pressure, but people keep rolling up.

It’s really interesting and tbh comical that some posters are accusing critics of making value judgements, when in fact the only defence you could mount of the club, from the board down to the football department, is a completely arbitrary value judgement.

Something along the lines of “they’re good and you just have to trust me!”

There are no results.

There is no objective evidence to show they’re any good.

Zero runs on the board, literally zero.

What is the actual argument in defence of the people running things? Is it “trust me?” Is that it?

Seriously, what is it?

It’s really interesting and tbh comical that some posters are accusing critics of making value judgements, when in fact the only defence you could mount of the club, from the board down to the football department, is a completely arbitrary value judgement.

There are no results.

What is the actual argument in defence of the people running things? Is it “trust me?” Is that it?

Seriously, what is it?
It's pseudo intellectual bullshit by try hards who just want their "I told you so" moment. Most of us here are commenting on hard results, facts, tangibles. Waynus and his dwindling crew are asking us to believe in the tooth fairy.

Nicks lost 13 games in a row with a team that included Walker, Sloane, Talia, Smith, Brown, Laird, Lynch, the Crouch brothers, Seedsman, Keays and multiple developing first round picks such as Fogarty and Jones

Earlier this year he took a team with no significant injury issues, which won 11 games the prior year, and lost the first four games in a row. Since then the team has gone backwards in wins and percentage

No

We had no significant injuries when we lost the first four games in a row

We don't have any depth because Nicks consistently selects from about 25 players and doesn't rotate the squad

One of our highest paid football department members is our fitness boss. The majority of our side have done four to eight AFL pre-seasons

It's the coach's job to develop mental strength on game day
Nailed it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are no results.

Seriously, what is it?

We can't even point to successful members of staff. I mean this is our coaching group

Coaches who were part of AFL premiership winning coaching panels
Matthew Nicks
Scott Burns

Nathan Van Berlo (West Coast assistant coach)
Jack Hombsch
Mick Godden
Matthew Wright
Andrew McPherson
Chelsea Randall

Marco Bello (Hawthorn VFL coach)
Sam Baulderstone

Coaches who were part of AFL premierships as a player
Matthew Nicks
Scott Burns
Nathan Van Berlo
Jack Hombsch
Mick Godden
Matthew Wright
Andrew McPherson

Chelsea Randall (but AFLW)
Marco Bello
Sam Baulderstone

Last edited:
Other football staff and their links to premiership teams

Adam Kelly
Hamish Ogilvie
Justin Reid

Darren Burgess (fitness head at Melbourne)
Daniel Jackson
Tom Hurley

Shane Edwards (player at Richmond)
Patrick Clifton (he's our COO if you didn't know)
Tim Silvers (accountant/CFO at Hawthorn)
Chris Sheedy (runs our data analysis)

So by my count across our main football roles we have about six staff total (out of about 20) with tangible experience at successful clubs

This list of average CBAs per game is extremely funny (**** Nicks)

View attachment 2022027

Nicks has given more midfield time per game to Ronin O'Connor, Jackson Hately and Myles Poholke than to Josh Rachele, Izak Rankine and Luke Pedlar

Rory Atkins was given more midfield time per game than Luke Pedlar

Only one new player during Nicks reign has managed half the center bounce midfield time per game of Laird (that's Berry)

Rachele, Rankine and Pedlar haven't even reached one quarter of the average midfield time per game given to Laird

Tyler Brown, who never played again after one appearance, was given more midfield time than Billy Dowling has managed so far

Oh and this

Total CBAs for Hately, O'Connor, Poholke, T. Brown, Atkins, Gibbs, Stengle, McHenry - 227

Total CBAs for Rachele - 203
Yeah-But-Yeah, You can find a stat to suit ANY narrative.. there's even one out there that shows Matthew Nick's to be our next premiership coach! ..
*wait up, did they specify 'Mens League?' 🤔

Maybe we are all holding the wrong people to account. All but 2 of the Board members are AFL appointed. So the way I reason it, only the AFL can sack them!!! But will that happen? NO!!!! Why, because it is part of the AFL's plan to have an AFL comp where only VFL teams can win!!!! So who appoints the AFL Board? From memory the clubs have a say but given 2 of the non mexican clubs started in mexico they will vote with the mexicans. Meaning it is 12 verses 6 in votes. So, until we get a vote (if ever) we will not solve the problems. All I can hope for is that those in control show true leadership (even if it is at end of season).

The single biggest issue we have at Adelaide is the lack of accountability of board and staff. No other organisation would be arrogant enough to tell their supporters to shut up, back off or go find another club. That arrogance is borne from being untouchable.
Nothing more needs to be said

We thrive on this lack of accountability. Really the only people held accountable are the rookies or 1-3 year players. Everyone else is an untouchable

Without wishing to draw the ire of Jenny it starts at Tippetgate. Both Trigg and Harper should have been marched out of the door

Yet we see Harper lauded as a 30 year good ole boy

Exactly, but it's rare that a board or executive has the balls to self assess. This is where accountability comes in. An executive should set out to achieve the goals set by the board. The board is held to account by its shareholders.

In our case, the lack of accountability results in comfort and arrogance at board and executive level. If the financials dropped off a cliff, maybe then we'd see some pressure, but people keep rolling up.
Boards and good companies have 5 year out the door plans. If the CEO doesnt make meaningful strides they are shown the door within 5 years

Every coach selection has been criticised on this board, bar Blight …. but the next one will be different to all those criticised …. of course

Richmond and Geelong benefited by patience - by all means explain the similarities between us and these two sides?

This is going to be good.

Because this in my wheelhouse of what i was paid to do ….. problems are never simple, nor is there rarely a simple solution

The Coach is one part of the puzzle …. he’s not the puzzle though
There are exceptions of course …. but labelling Nicks as the root cause is folly …. he’s done exactly what was expected in a rebuild …. but explore all the factors behind the 5th year stumble

That isn’t going to happen though, is it 😉

Shit your wheelhouse doesn’t make you any more qualified than me, I’m sorry to say but I had roles as Custom Service Manager (both customers and staff) and Business Banking (managing customers and helping them grow).

The one thing I didn’t stand for with those that came in with their marketing jargon and spin. You can see them coming a mile away.

Nicks is 5 years in and we literally are going full circle and back to square one. That is on him.

It's pseudo intellectual bullshit by try hards who just want their "I told you so" moment. Most of us here are commenting on hard results, facts, tangibles. Waynus and his dwindling crew are asking us to believe in the tooth fairy.
There is a type of person that just gets off on being contrarian. They see a group of people all mostly saying the same thing and think that taking the opposite position somehow puts them above other people. Like they have some kind of unique insight.

Back