Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't know that but makes perfect sense... In fact, I'm not even remotely surprised.

The sheer level of entrenched cronyism at the club is extraordinary.
Jamo is the one who had a crack at the players during covid, and also labelled McLeod a "temperamental soul".

Nothing will change until/if we ever become a member run club.

These muppets in charge have nothing to worry about, their positions aren't voted upon.

No one can put an alternative ticket together to oust these imbeciles.

No one can remove them from their ivory tower as they smoke their cigars and drink their cognac.

Nothing will change until/if we ever become a member run club.

These muppets in charge have nothing to worry about, their positions aren't voted upon.

No one can put an alternative ticket together to oust these imbeciles.

No one can remove them from their ivory tower as they smoke their cigars and drink their cognac.

Well that should all change from 2028 but I’m sure if these individuals are still there they will attempt to thwart it.

Just looked and mine has saints 15th, 3.5 wins behind us and we're 2.5 wins behind hawks. Freo miss out on 13.5 wins by % to Lions. Nix thinking season remains alive is absurd.
The Saints was the one team that my predictor had finish ahead of us at 14th, but it was tight though. A win either way and the teams swapped. The other teams below us seem pretty set, and the teams above the Saints out of reach.

They can't.

Hardly anyone is buying their BS.

Nearly everyone can see Nicks doesn't have the ability to be a successful coach.

Given the rushed extension for no reason, they know they have ****ed up... trying to go into self preservation mode, but all it will do is take more down with Nicks in the end.

Best approach would be honesty & ripping off the bandaid, but they have just confirmed we are run by a club that lacks integrity & no ability to make the correct decisions when it matters.

It really shows we have a lack of quality football people at our club... & the main reason for our mediocrity.
I go back to our constitution in regards to the ownership change in 2028.

It needs to be people who actually want success, the AFL doesn't care if we are successful.

Nothing changes until the board are accountable to the fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year we were heading in the right direction until a bad call on Keays ruined all that. But we also dropped many close finishes so in reality we had our chances but there is no room for error in games. We put ourselves in these situations too.

This year the expectation was high and some of the players froze, lost their confidence. But there have been a few other factors such as injuries and some poor selection. 2024 was never going to be easy year and I knew that after 2023.

I am not expecting us to be Richmond 2017 next year, don't compare us to them.

North would have easily beaten us today if Collingwood was replaced by us. We are very bad right now.

Last edited:
I think he was trying to say was that in the fourth quarter he could have just conceded the game, gone ultra defensive to try and shut down the game to minimise Sydney scoring, but instead they told the players to try and take the game on.
So for the rest of the game he’s not instructing the players to take the game on but instead play safe and keep the margin close? The same week he said we lost our ability to take the game on?

I honestly don’t think I’ve heard a coach contradict himself more than this clown, the worst coach we’ve had by a big margin.

So for the rest of the game he’s not instructing the players to take the game on but instead play safe and keep the margin close? The same week he said we lost our ability to take the game on?

I honestly don’t think I’ve heard a coach contradict himself more than this clown, the worst coach we’ve had by a big margin.

If I am to understand Nicks, he has established a too tier game plan, one that switches through a signal from the bench. One is slow possession, team defence counter attack football, the other is all out attack. He clearly has tried to defend games to death this season and implement an all out attack in the final quarter. Both times the Swans came back I think we'd switched to safe mode. The problem with all out attack is it consumes petrol tickets. Can't just flick a switch between the two whenever you feel like it. Especially if you have already flicked this switch multiple times in the match. The players in the last quarter were clearly out of gas.

I just don't see this type of game plan holding in finals. Its more like a party trick, designed to catch sides napping when we flick the switch. But the pattern of our games this season seem to indicate this is our style.

• 95 points per game average score for
  • 81 pointes per game average score against

• 81 points per game average score for
  • 79 pointes per game average score against

So the clown has incorporated this strategy only to take away our ability to score while having no impact against opposition teams ability to score against us. FFS

If I am to understand Nicks, he has established a too tier game plan, one that switches through a signal from the bench. One is slow possession, team defence counter attack football, the other is all out attack. He clearly has tried to defend games to death this season and implement an all out attack in the final quarter. Both times the Swans came back I think we'd switched to safe mode. The problem with all out attack is it consumes petrol tickets. Can't just flick a switch between the two whenever you feel like it. Especially if you have already flicked this switch multiple times in the match. The players in the last quarter were clearly out of gas.

I just don't see this type of game plan holding in finals. Its more like a party trick, designed to catch sides napping when we flick the switch. But the pattern of our games this season seem to indicate this is our style.

• 95 points per game average score for
  • 81 pointes per game average score against

• 81 points per game average score for
  • 79 pointes per game average score against

So the clown has incorporated this strategy only to take away our ability to score while having no impact against opposition teams ability to score against us. FFS

Mate - we need to actually get to finals first.... Nicks game plan has us bottom 4. :$

A couple of weeks ago Will Goodings described Nicks' tenure as feeling like the Robert Shaw years on steroids.

Last edited:
A couple of weeks ago Will Goodings described Nicks tenure as feeling like the Robert Shaw years on steroids.

Yeah, its been the perfect storm really. All these clowns came in at the same time after a review and they got stuck on this narrative and now I think they are lost. I hate to say it, but I just dont think Nicks would have lasted as long with any other of our administrations. He has been allowed to get away with a lot.

A couple of weeks ago Will Goodings described Nicks tenure as feeling like the Robert Shaw years on steroids.

I was thinking about this the other day...

Amazing to think back then we actually managed to get the likes of Blight and Ayres to the club...

Now we will be lucky to get an untried assistant the rate we are going.

Back