Matthew Pavlich, Nick Riewoldt or Jonathan Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly what aussie gun said. It is a bluff. How many times do you hear Brown hurt someone badly. Very little. and BTW Pav has something the other 2 lack as well. a reliable kick under pressure. and before every one starts talking about how pav chokes and every one starts mocking me may i say Pav had the yips for 1 year.

Maybe I should rephrase he is also harder at the contest and players look over their shoulder when he is around, which can lead to fumbles and poor decisions.

They are all great players in their own right but if I could choose just 1 it would be Brown without a moments thought.

Maybe I should rephrase he is also harder at the contest and players look over their shoulder when he is around, which can lead to fumbles and poor decisions.

They are all great players in their own right but if I could choose just 1 it would be Brown without a moments thought.
I see what you mean. Although some players arent intimated. Nathan J. Brown?

That's my point. Why fault a player for something he isn't at fault for?

Whether it's Pavlich's fault or not, the fact is he hasn't played anywhere near as many finals as either Brown or Riewoldt. It's big game finals where you make your mark as a player and are ultimately judged.

Unless Freo can start making more finals in the near future while Pavlich is still playing then it will always be a question mark hanging over his career and one that will make him suffer in comparison to players like Brown and Riewoldt.

Whether it's Pavlich's fault or not, the fact is he hasn't played anywhere near as many finals as either Brown or Riewoldt. It's big game finals where you make your mark as a player and are ultimately judged.

Unless Freo can start making more finals in the near future while Pavlich is still playing then it will always be a question mark hanging over his career and one that will make him suffer in comparison to players like Brown and Riewoldt.
He single handily almost won the prelim, the biggest game of Pavs life.He Booted 2 for the clubs first finals win. He stars in most of the derbys which is the biggest games he has played in latley. He has proven he can perform in finals. not enough too rate him but good enough.

He single handily almost won the prelim, the biggest game of Pavs life.He Booted 2 for the clubs first finals win. He stars in most of the derbys which is the biggest games he has played in latley. He has proven he can perform in finals. not enough too rate him but good enough.

Well performing in derbies is all well and good but those games don't mean much to people outside of WA. Lets face it, the last couple of years the derbies haven't been of finals standard anyway with both West Coast and Freo struggling.

Even though Pavlich may have performed well in the couple of finals he's played and in derbies, he still needs to perform in more finals to really make his mark as a great player. Hopefully he gets the chance as he deserves to.

that is a ridiculously vague statement. in the words of Pauline Hansen....

I reckon you've actually got to justify your claim Tredders, most people rate Riewoldt as an elite CHF I would think, me included.

Riewoldt has, apart from the very occasional glimpse throughout his career, not been the DOMINANT force across CHF that Tredrea, Brown and Pav have been. my opinion. as i said before, more of an 'accumulator' than a 'game breaker'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When your talking about not just forwards, but true CHF, Riewoldt is about as good as you can get. Him and Brown are stand outs. I think by the time both careers are done, Riewoldt might be deemed the better of the two. Brown's early years suffered a bit through injury and suspension. Since he has been able to avoid them he has been have very very good seasons. Both at their prime it still take Brown, he just has that extra leadership and intimidation factor.

Anyone that claims that Riewoldt is an 'elite' CHF has absolutely lost the plot.

So the All Australian selectors that named Riewoldt at CHF and gave him the AA captaincy have lost the plot too I suppose?

Riewoldt has, apart from the very occasional glimpse throughout his career, not been the DOMINANT force across CHF that Tredrea, Brown and Pav have been. my opinion. as i said before, more of an 'accumulator' than a 'game breaker'.

You must have missed his performances against Collingwood and the Bulldogs in last year's finals, if they weren't game breaking performances I don't know what is.

Anyone that claims that Riewoldt is an 'elite' CHF has absolutely lost the plot.

He wears too much product in his hair, but aside from that, Riewoldt is IMO an elite player. He is probably the best marking CHF in the comp. And to claim that anyone who thinks this "has absolutely lost the plot" is just empty rhetoric (and a tad hyperbolic), given that almost every poster on this thread recognizes Riewoldt's talents.

Brown for me. He's the only one of the three that would kick the 50m shot after the siren to win you the game... The other two would miss....

Anyone saying that Reiwoldt isn't elite is kidding themselves... He may not be the traditional Carey type CHF, but why shouldn't he play to his strengths ??? He's a bloody hard match up.....

i agree
Riewoldt is excellent, but Brown is the best pure CHF & pav is the best all round player and second best CHF.
IMO there are 2 (probably more) types of centre half forwards, the roaming midfield type who gets lots of the ball & does not usually have the impact on the scorboard, and the full fwd CHF who operates in the Carey zone between CHF & the goal square. He is the type who takes the crunching pack marks and kicks more goals but does not always get the huge number of possessions.
For mine, Brown is a FF/CHF and Riewoldt is a mid/CHF (I know he takes pack marks, is courageous & kicks goals), and Pav is both a FF/CHF and/or a mid/CHF.

You can argue all day about a players attributes, statistics, age etc etc.

But when push came to shove.....if I had the opportunity to pick 1 player in the entire AFL to come to my side, it would be Jonathon Brown.

If you lined up every single player in the league (including Ablett and Judd), Jonathon Brown would be Pick 1.

When push comes to shove, Brown gets the job done. A 3 time premiership player who has performed on the biggest stage.

He can single handedly win his team the game.

Guys like Franklin and Riewoldt and Pavlich perhaps have more versatility and speed and are tougher matchups on paper. But Jonathon Brown gets the job done more regularly.

Brown for me. He's not the allround player that Riewoldt and Pavlich are, but when push comes to shove I'd easily have Brown before the other two.

He has presence, swagger and intimidation.

As I will say again, from some peoples reasoning skills, this bloke Bobby Skilton must have been a "dud", only played one final !!!!. Geez how can those dills at the AFL Bunker claim Skilton as a LEGEND ???.

Bobby skilton also has 3 brownlows to his name......stupid, simplistic argument and Pav aint anywhere near that league....

Its ok to talk about reasoning skills.....as long as you do so...reasonably....:rolleyes:

Exaclty!

I understand the Freo supporters desperation to prove Pav has "done it all at CHF" buts the facts are he has got nowhere near the finals performances of Riewoldt/Browne.

IMHO based on individual performamce, Riewoldt has done more in finals than all 3 - including Browne.

To suggest you "ignore" that in a player comparison is absolute rubbish - Finals in AFL ARE the recognised toughest, most pressurised contests you have (dont give me derby drivel......I wouldnt cross the road to watch it...especially last few years...perleassse...).

Until Pav produces at a consistent level in the toughest games (and gets out of Freo fast) then IMO he will always be an excellent utility/Mr Fix It who sporadically plays CHF.

Premierships, Finals and Grand Final performances are everything to me when judging 3 "elite" players like this, so therefore Brown has to take the honours IMO.

Yes he was fairly young when he won 3 flags, but he was still a bloody big part of those victories.

Pavlich, not unsimilar to a Bob Skilton has been unlucky not to play in more finals, but it has to go against him that he can't drag his side into the 8 more often.

Riewoldt IMO has the "least natural talent" of the 3 but is by far the hardest worker and hardest "gut runner" I have ever seen, especially for a big man, but I just can't put him ahead of Brown, yet anyway.

My order;

1. Brown
2. Riewoldt
3. Pavlich

That may change if Riewoldt/Saints win a flag or two.

J. Brown's finals performances aren't really anything spectacular. Not saying he's average he's done his job but he hasn't really been a standout. Imo reiwoldts performances in finals are just a bit more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back