NAB Challenge vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

People have mentioned how individual players have gone and i thank them for that as it is very good to hear but can anyone tell me how the Swans as a team played?

Did the Swans play fast and attacking football where they played on alot or did they play a more traditional Paul Roos style?

People have mentioned how individual players have gone and i thank them for that as it is very good to hear but can anyone tell me how the Swans as a team played?

Did the Swans play fast and attacking football where they played on alot or did they play a more traditional Paul Roos style?
They were more often than not looking for the longer target to play on quick to. A couple of players got caught with the ball but it happened for both teams and with rule about kicking backwards enforced it eliminate the chip chip chipping around the backline. I think the team as a whole looked awesome. Much better than they have looked in a long while. My only complaint with the new look team is the hair cuts. Everyone is starting to look alike.

I know you didnt want to know about individual players but something i didnt mention I dont think is Ryan Okeefes 2 shots on goal. One was a tight angle and very near to 50 couldnt see exactly how far out from our side and the other was over 50 out. They were both very confident shots on goal that never looked like they could miss. And barry halls indiscriminate disposal of the ball to 2 players while they were in danger and he had heaps of time this happened within a couple of minutes of each other.

At the other end MOD was the key player in a decent passage of play until he decided to take a shot on goal from 50. Absolutely shanked the kick and missed everything.

If anyone was interested 2 of the umpires last night were mckinerny (sp?) and Vozzo. They left to just play out. I heard alot of people commenting on this last night in passing as well.

Sorry got carried away was an awesome night for footy.

So after reading a few match reports, I think the Round 1 team is shaping up as follows:

B: Richards C.Bolton Mattner
HB: Shaw LRT Malceski
C: Goodes McVeigh Bird
HF: ROK Hall Moore
F: Veszpremi Grundy Bevan
R: Jolly J.Bolton Kirk

Int: White (3 of Ablett/Crouch/Buchanan/Jack)
Emg: Barlow O'Dwyer (Ablett/Crouch/Buchanan/Jack)

- So despite a few injuries it is quite possible that a premiership player will be left out. Bird has been amongst our best in the pre-season and looks set for a greater role this year. I can't leave him out, so it looks like one of Ablett/Crouch/Buchanan/Jack will have to miss out. It'll be a tough call.
- White looks to have edged out Pyke for the 2nd ruck spot, as Currie continues his recovery.
- I have named Grundy up forward but the coaches seem to prefer to play him down back. Perhaps they will switch Richards up forward or even just have Hall and ROK as the 2 main targets. Barlow may come into contention as well as a third 'tall' forward, but I am unable to squeeze him into my side.

So after reading a few match reports, I think the Round 1 team is shaping up as follows:

I agree with most of your thoughts. I think Barlow might get first crack at the forward spot with Micky O out. White starts goal square, goes to ruck to spell Jolly, Barlow goes forward. I think Buchanan is introuble getting a spot at the start of the season, has looked very indecisive this early.
O'Dwyer might be the one to tip out one of the regulars on the bench (Ablett/Jack/Crouch) but the Swans like to go with what they know and trust early and then look at alternatives if it is not working.

I agree with most of your thoughts. I think Barlow might get first crack at the forward spot with Micky O out. White starts goal square, goes to ruck to spell Jolly, Barlow goes forward. I think Buchanan is introuble getting a spot at the start of the season, has looked very indecisive this early.
O'Dwyer might be the one to tip out one of the regulars on the bench (Ablett/Jack/Crouch) but the Swans like to go with what they know and trust early and then look at alternatives if it is not working.

I named my team for round 1 over in the round 1 team thread. While a strong team above Goodes must start at the centre bounces right from the start. Like he did against Richmond last year he can dominate the game from there during a purple patch. Its also harder for a tag to get him than follow him in from the wing.

- So despite a few injuries it is quite possible that a premiership player will be left out. Bird has been amongst our best in the pre-season and looks set for a greater role this year. I can't leave him out, so it looks like one of Ablett/Crouch/Buchanan/Jack will have to miss out. It'll be a tough call.
- White looks to have edged out Pyke for the 2nd ruck spot, as Currie continues his recovery.
- I have named Grundy up forward but the coaches seem to prefer to play him down back. Perhaps they will switch Richards up forward or even just have Hall and ROK as the 2 main targets. Barlow may come into contention as well as a third 'tall' forward, but I am unable to squeeze him into my side.

I think this will be very close to the team. It now seems White is in the van for the second ruck spot (what's up with Currie?) and the debate would be over the bench. Of those you've named, Jack would be first choice. I'm not sure the status of Crouch, but I'm wondering if someone such as Brett Meredith, MOD or DOK is any chance of nabbing a bench place.

But I do think that starting 18 you've named will be very close.

I think this will be very close to the team. It now seems White is in the van for the second ruck spot (what's up with Currie?) and the debate would be over the bench. Of those you've named, Jack would be first choice. I'm not sure the status of Crouch, but I'm wondering if someone such as Brett Meredith, MOD or DOK is any chance of nabbing a bench place.

But I do think that starting 18 you've named will be very close.

Currie continues to pull up sore after game time, having had a number of minor soft tissue injuries over the pre-season

Thanks for everyones input, esp oppoosition supporters, some very good signs..:thumbsu:

btw, melbourne based swans gave better reviews...:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm just glad to hear Ed Barlow had a good game. He has been the disappointment of the preseason (along with Daniel O'keefe).

Maybe it's just his playing style but he doesn't look like he's going hard enough. Every player has to go when it's your turn.

was it a crowd of newbie supporters? or already made swans fans?

It was a real mixture I think. The people beside us were wearing freo gear so had no hope for them. But we sat in front of some die hard swans fans (like we are as well - well I am have been since I was a baby in a stroller going to games). The crowd in general was pretty good. Better than the challenge game against port last year at TS. The crowd there was horrible you wouldn't have thought there was anyone in there.
BTW I thought my review of the game was alright......if there is anything else specific you want to know just ask. I was just excited to be watching live footy again.

Funny you say that, I was at that game at ANZ, only challenge game I've been to. I enjoyed it insofar as I sat right behind the goals and Baz kicked a few pretty much right at me. Stupid place to hold a practice game though..

It was a real mixture I think. The people beside us were wearing freo gear so had no hope for them. But we sat in front of some die hard swans fans (like we are as well - well I am have been since I was a baby in a stroller going to games). The crowd in general was pretty good. Better than the challenge game against port last year at TS. The crowd there was horrible you wouldn't have thought there was anyone in there.
BTW I thought my review of the game was alright......if there is anything else specific you want to know just ask. I was just excited to be watching live footy again.

youre review was excellent, but I expected more overall from sydney based fans, oppo supporters evened it out a bit, but youre review was very good and much appreciated!...:thumbsu:

The problem is that there were only 3500 tickets which means alot of Sydney based supporters (myself included) were unable to get tickets to the game.

im pretty sure that wouldnt have made much difference to most on here, they had heaps of notice (including yourself), but if I understand right, rouse hill is hours away from the cbd, so fair enuff!

im pretty sure that wouldnt have made much difference to most on here, they had heaps of notice (including yourself), but if I understand right, rouse hill is hours away from the cbd, so fair enuff!

BEZ, I think RUNVS is saying they just could not get tickets.

The local area got first tabs on any available and used them all up and only a very few were released to swans members.

It was an exercise in West Sydney promotion..

Remove this Banner Ad

NAB Challenge vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back