Autopsy Negatives vs Collingwood - Round 20, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't they all take a cut last year, along with staff reductions?
I think they've been playing for reduced income all during Covid times.
Have our current problems appeared or worsened during the Covid duration?
His private school kids comment was interesting, in what may lie under the surface.
He's only suggesting getting kids from stable backgrounds and was exaggerating to make the point, because they no longer have the resources/staff to look after the unstable ones (Rioli anyone?)
“We’re probably a coach short and a couple of medicos short as well and I’ve said this before but it does affect who you draft and develop,” Simpson told 3AW.
A coach short and couple medicos short may help explain the players woes, along with the bad run of soft tissue injuries.
Coaches don't like to complain too much or put the blame on others, maybe this is masking the problems we have?
So the players are on reduced salaries during Covid times with added pressures and stress, no longer getting the best coaching or medical assistance, and are one of the teams frequently travelling the longest distances to play games during Covid.
A big emphasis is put on family, many have family/kids, does this culture affect our playing and mental state. Family was never a culture 'thing' in the past. You hardly heard of players families, most players were single/dating and were 'players' off the field.
Who knows, but something is definitely rotten in the state of Denmark!?
Aren't all other teams in the same boat with reduced resources though?

When HEdwards is the only player who looks towards the middle, it's a big worry.

Dont worry we will coach that out of him.

It would be a total mismanagement of our list if we were to allow Hurn and Kennedy (competent champions they still are) to continue on again in 2022.

If we get a good midfield coach and implement a defensive structure (we dont have one in this midfield). Then there is merit in keeping hurn and kennedy for 1 more year.

Its a bit of an inditement on the development staff and the players themselves that they arnt placing pressure on hurn and kennedy to replace their spot.

Allen & watermelon seem obvious replacements for kennedy.

While rotham seems the only "standout" replacement for hurn. We have a plethora of HBF but are they any good?

For me the issue is we havent got ANY young midfielders threatening to take sheed/gaff/reddens spots. And when we do play them they arnt even playing predominantly midfield. They are squandering on the HFF/dead mans land.

Early in the year we had shuey/kelly/yeo missing....the perfect time to see if XON was up for it ... And he didnt take it.

Yep, some are more asccustom to doing well with what they have. Written about this but most her are live in a bubble in Perth and dont see it.
Simple example, I recall the Swans training in a local army barracks with a container to keep they gear in. They also had to move training around the city to schools and parks to fit with availability. Worked hard to organise a local park across the road from the SCG.

I imagine so, to varying degrees? If WC is one of the wealthiest clubs and they're struggling, you wonder how the small clubs cope? I'm just throwing stuff at the walls to see what stick? Trying to find an explanation for this abysmal collapse in team performance - whether it's one thing (coach/gameplan) or a combo of things that add up?

I imagine so, to varying degrees? If WC is one of the wealthiest clubs and they're struggling, you wonder how the small clubs cope? I'm just throwing stuff at the walls to see what stick? Trying to find an explanation for this abysmal collapse in team performance - whether it's one thing (coach/gameplan) or a combo of things that add up?
I've heard some players aren't happy about some of the underperfoming guys on big $$$ and its causing a bit of division. Personally I think they just don't enjoy footy any more including Simmo!

Yep, some are more asccustom to doing well with what they have. Written about this but most her are live in a bubble in Perth and dont see it.
Simple example, I recall the Swans training in a local army barracks with a container to keep they gear in. They also had to move training around the city to schools and parks to fit with availability. Worked hard to organise a local park across the road from the SCG.
West Coast has done all that in the past. We are a professional team and shouldn’t have to do that now.

it is important for a club on the other side of the country to be able to attract the best coaches as the football universe is on the east coast. If we can’t offer them more $$ what can we offer? Flights and living out of a hotel away from family every second week? Doesn’t sound that attractive really.

we also spend a lot of money on supporting our draftees from other states. This has been a very successful program and most of our draftees have the support they need to develop well away from their family when they are teenagers.

That is why Simmo was talking about only drafting white kids from boarding schools. Cause they are already used to being away from family and we don’t need to put resources into their well being.

This tax is a huge disadvantage to our club.

I've heard some players aren't happy about some of the underperfoming guys on big $$$ and its causing a bit of division. Personally I think they just don't enjoy footy any more including Simmo!
Are they the underperforming players on less money why expect the others to do all the work? Sounds soft to me. If you want more play better.

West Coast has done all that in the past. We are a professional team and shouldn’t have to do that now.

it is important for a club on the other side of the country to be able to attract the best coaches as the football universe is on the east coast. If we can’t offer them more $$ what can we offer? Flights and living out of a hotel away from family every second week? Doesn’t sound that attractive really.

we also spend a lot of money on supporting our draftees from other states. This has been a very successful program and most of our draftees have the support they need to develop well away from their family when they are teenagers.

That is why Simmo was talking about only drafting white kids from boarding schools. Cause they are already used to being away from family and we don’t need to put resources into their well being.

This tax is a huge disadvantage to our club.
very distant past for WC. WC is not a professional team on performance, they are a business with plenty of income.
Perhaps a Quote from Kate Campbell:

'You only find out what you aree made of when things are not going well.'

WC have been found out based on their performance

Instead of building houses in Cambodia, we should spend next preseason doing a bunch of acid in India. Worth a try!

How long have you been working for Collective Minds?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, but I can’t cop the complaints about soft cap cuts affecting the clubs being able to have medicos and support staff. Maybe clubs need to manage their resources better…

Whenever they flash up to the coaches box there’s 10-15 people sitting in there as well as the 20 odd on the bench, what are they doing? Surely having the right amount of medicos is more important than paying a past player to be a development coach or goal kicking consultant.

Adam Simpson’s comments about the kids they draft shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone, it’s basically been an unspoken rule at the club for years. All the drama with those mid 2000s players has clearly spooked them into safe recruitment.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I wouldn't mind a few crack heads in the Eagles if it meant winning flags again.

Every time there was a potential drug fail report coming out we could just cite the Sydney line "depression"

+ if the rumours that we are talking to Harvey as an assistant coach are true I'm all for that. Just increased his salary by a few hundred thou today

Something's brewing in the background and I dare say we might see Simpson resign by year's end.

It certainly wouldn't surprise me at all.

This year has shades of wooshas last year remarkably.

very distant past for WC. WC is not a professional team on performance, they are a business with plenty of income.
Perhaps a Quote from Kate Campbell:

'You only find out what you aree made of when things are not going well.'

WC have been found out based on their performance
Yeah, the Swans academy is weighing them down. Having to fly an hour up and down the coast for games. Having the exact opposite of a luxury tax in COla for years. Living in a non-football state where you can live in anonymously if you want. You are not comparing apples with apples.

And that’s the problem with the luxury tax, neither is the AFL.

I am not talking about the performance on the field yesterday, I am talking about the difficulties our club now faces with attracting and retaining quality staff both on and off the field. I believe this tax is firmly aimed at kneecapping us. No other “rich” club has the same hurdles to overcome that we do.

Yeah, the Swans academy is weighing them down. Having to fly an hour up and down the coast for games. Having the exact opposite of a luxury tax in COla for years. Living in a non-football state where you can live in anonymously if you want. You are not comparing apples with apples.

And that’s the problem with the luxury tax, neither is the AFL.

I am not talking about the performance on the field yesterday, I am talking about the difficulties our club now faces with attracting and retaining quality staff both on and off the field. I believe this tax is firmly aimed at kneecapping us. No other “rich” club has the same hurdles to overcome that we do.
That the talk of a loser - look, look everybody is getting it easy.
We dint gve a whimper against the saints early, bombers at home, Dogs, cats, Swans and now the pies. This isnt what a professional organisation does. All the poor excuses in the world cannot cover over such consistent performances.
You live in a bubble may I suggest and dont have a feel for what is real, WC is a football club but behaves as a business that plays footy on the side.
You must work on what you can control and not worry about what you can not control. WC can control its performance.
Yes we did fight hard to beat the blues after they lost their key forward at a neutral venue.

Last edited:
That the talk of a loser - look, look everybody is getting it easy.
We dint gve a whimper against the saints early, bombers at home, Dogs, cats, Swans and now the pies. This isnt what a professional organisation does. All the poor excuses in the world cannot cover over such consistent performances.
You live in a bubble may I suggest and dont have a feel for what is real, WC is a football club but behaves as a business that plays footy on the side.
You must work on what you can control and not worry about what you can not control. WC can control its performance.
Yes we did fight hard to beat the blues after they lost their key forward at a neutral venue.
I am not a loser and as you don’t know me, you may not suggest I live in a bubble.

you were trying to say that Sydney is so much better than us cause they trained at a park? I am saying you are not comparing things on an equal basis as they have so many other advantages over us due to their location.

I am not saying our performance on the field was not shit yesterday, that is the most embarrassment I have felt watching my team. And I was present for a 120 odd point flogging by Geelong at home some years ago.

I am saying that going forward, to attract excellent coaches that will help us get out of this mess, the luxury tax is going to hurt us badly.

It's kinda funny and not in the least bit surprising how quickly it's happened though.

There's been signs since 2019. But with an ageing list, failing to expose enough kids (🚓:rotatinglight:) and being stubborn with our gameplan has led us to this point.

It would be a total mismanagement of our list if we were to allow Hurn and Kennedy (competent champions they still are) to continue on again in 2022.

It's 👏 time 👏 to 👏 close 👏 the 👏 window 👏 and 👏 start 👏 building 👏 for 👏 our 👏 next 👏 premiership 👏 tilt

What were our actual GOOD games this year? There's been a handful of DIABOLICAL ones, a few uninspiring sh*t wins, and then one or two solid efforts.

From a whole season. This shouldn't be the case for a team pushing for a flag with the list like ours. We either need to be competitive, or in a rebuild.

The Shellacking of then top of the table Port at home with Shuey, was our best, and probably only dominant performance of the year.

Other than that, we pulled a win out of our Robbie Nahas when we climbed over the Tigers in round 13. But that also killed both teams completely after.

The win over Cockburn with our very depleted team was impressive, but then again..... it's Cockburn. Failure is what they do best.

There's very little, if anything for this club to hang it's hat on this year, in the way of wins for a 'contending' season. Season review would be damning.

We definitely need to move Kennedy and Hurn on at the end of the year.

Allen needs to settle in to 1 role at the club.
Permanent forward.

I thought we played pretty well in the 4th when the pies stopped. If we can keep that up for 4 qtrs we could be a chance to beat a team
I assume any WAFL team can beat any AFL team any time if the opposition team STOPPED.
That is the reason why we lost badly to bottom teams because they did not stop and we did.

I am not a loser and as you don’t know me, you may not suggest I live in a bubble.

you were trying to say that Sydney is so much better than us cause they trained at a park? I am saying you are not comparing things on an equal basis as they have so many other advantages over us due to their location.

I am not saying our performance on the field was not sh*t yesterday, that is the most embarrassment I have felt watching my team. And I was present for a 120 odd point flogging by Geelong at home some years ago.

I am saying that going forward, to attract excellent coaches that will help us get out of this mess, the luxury tax is going to hurt us badly.
Thats the TALK of a loser. You certainly struggle with english.

There was an article about Hawthorn having to pay the luxury tax to pay out Clarko and it mentioned that the AFL doesn't even have a fixed amount (30-75% was floated). Hawks will be negotiating the rate with them.

It made me realise that no-one pays the tax then. Maybe we should just bite the bullet, call the AFL's bluff and start paying the tax. Who cares if we don't make profit for a few years, that will just mean the WAFL might not get to ride our gravy train as hard.

We seemed to make about a $2M profit pre-COVID when spending the previous higher salary and soft caps. Assuming we're still good for $2M profit next year when full crowds should be back and assuming 75% luxury tax, we can get another $1.142M in soft cap spending. Will get us close to the resourcing level we had before COVID.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Negatives vs Collingwood - Round 20, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back