Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 160 28.5%
  • No

Votes: 402 71.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Weird how you're putting in all this effort to inflate the umpire's award.

Dw, If he doesn't win it they'll do everything they can to diminish it
Go back and check my posting under Brownlow for years. Always been a favorite topic of mine. Its the premier individual award in the comp and if you understand its limitations it does a good job. Trouble is lots don't and go with a few limited stereotypes that are not back by evidence to diminish it.

Umpires award, coaches award, media awards - it'll be the same players up the top of all of them.

Heeney not being eligible is the only reason to discount this year's Brownlow below the other awards.

He's been the best player this year.
All awards are rubbish.

Attempting to argue that one player is better than another on the basis of an award is the surest way for someone to expose they have no clue.

Collingwood players statpadding for Daicos in a dead rubber only further highlights how meaningless awards are in the grand scheme of these debates, and yet people still bleat on about Brownlows in these dumb arguments.

Go back and check my posting under Brownlow for years. Always been a favorite topic of mine. Its the premier individual award in the comp and if you understand its limitations it does a good job. Trouble is lots don't and go with a few limited stereotypes that are not back by evidence to diminish it.
It's an umpire's award with a 3-2-1 voting system. Defenders cannot even win the award because umpires don't rate them.

If you can win an award because your whole team helps pad your stats in a dead rubber, that only further confirms how big of a joke the award is.

When Collingwood played the Bulldogs earlier in the year and the game was on the line in the 4th quarter, the Bont took over the game, took it upon himself to shut down Daicos while getting 10 disposals himself and kicked a big goal. That alone tells me he is clearly a superior player, yet he could lose this laughable award on the back of Daicos statpadding in a dead rubber, and you're trying to convince people that it's some kind of "premier individual award"?

Same applies to Collingwood vs Sydney. Heeney and Warner took it upon themselves to win the game from a significant deficit. That alone says infinitely more than the umpires allocating three votes enough times.

All awards are rubbish.

Attempting to argue that one player is better than another on the basis of an award is the surest way for someone to expose they have no clue.

Collingwood players statpadding for Daicos in a dead rubber only further highlights how meaningless awards are in the grand scheme of these debates, and yet people still bleat on about Brownlows in these dumb arguments.
OK, so forget about all the various individual awards that are voted for by the umpires, coaches, and players.

List the players who have been better than Daicos in 2024, in your unbiased opinion.

Go.

It's an umpire's award with a 3-2-1 voting system. Defenders cannot even win the award because umpires don't rate them.

If you can win an award because your whole team helps pad your stats in a dead rubber, that only further confirms how big of a joke the award is.

When Collingwood played the Bulldogs earlier in the year and the game was on the line in the 4th quarter, the Bont took over the game, took it upon himself to shut down Daicos while getting 10 disposals himself and kicked a big goal. That alone tells me he is clearly a superior player, yet he could lose this laughable award on the back of Daicos statpadding in a dead rubber, and you're trying to convince people that it's some kind of "premier individual award"?

Same applies to Collingwood vs Sydney. Heeney and Warner took it upon themselves to win the game from a significant deficit. That alone says infinitely more than the umpires allocating three votes enough times.
OK, so you've picked two games where superstars of the competition got their teams over the line in close games.

Bont is superior to Daicos due to his immense last quarter against Collingwood to get his team over the line.

Warner and Heeney are superior to Daicos because they were immense in their round 22 game against Collingwood. They were also both very good in the earlier game in the season.

But wouldn't that mean Daicos is superior to Cripps, courtesy of Daicos' 32 possession, 2 goal (including the sealer) best on ground performance against Carlton in round 9, and Cripps' inability to get Carlton over the line in their game later in the season?

Daicos also better than Neale courtesy of his two BOG or near BOG games against Brisbane this year?

But hang on. Rozee is better than Bontempelli due to his immense Round 17 performance against the Western Bulldogs.

But Daicos is better than Rozee courtesy of Daicos' BOG performance in their Round 6 40 odd point win against Port Adelaide.

So that means (for example) - Bontempelli is better than Daicos; Daicos is better than Rozee; But Rozee is better than Bontempelli.

Wrap your head around that!

Last edited:
Bont, Cripps, Heeney. That's it this year imo
Hang on.

But how can Cripps possibly be better than Daicos, when Daicos was BOG in their first game against Carlton (and kicked the match winning goal), nor was Cripps good enough to get his team over the line against them in their second encounter?

Jake98 - we need your advice on this one...

Hang on.

But how can Cripps possibly be better than Daicos, when Daicos was BOG in their first game against Carlton (and kicked the match winning goal), nor was Cripps good enough to get his team over the line against them in their second encounter?

Pies tagged Cripps in both those games. Crazy Vossy let Nicky run free

OK, so you've picked two games where superstars of the competition got their teams over the line in close games.

Bont is superior to Daicos due to his immense last quarter against Collingwood to get his team over the line.

Warney and Heeney are superior to Daicos because they were immense in their round 22 game against Collingwood. They were also both very good in the earlier game in the season.

But wouldn't that mean Daicos is superior to Cripps, courtesy of Daicos' 32 possession, 2 goal (including the sealer) best on ground performance against Carlton in round 9, and Cripps' inability to get Carlton over the line in their game later in the season?

Daicos also better than Neale courtesy of his two BOG or near BOG games against Brisbane this year?

But hang on. Rozee is better than Bontempelli due to his immense Round 17 performance against the Western Bulldogs.

But Daicos is better than Rozee courtesy of Daicos' BOG performance in their Round 6 40 odd point win against Port Adelaide.

So that means (for example) - Bontempelli is better than Daicos; Daicos is better than Rozee; But Rozee is better than Bontempelli.

giphy.gif

Warney and Heeney are superior to Daicos because they were immense in their round 22 game against Collingwood. They were also both very good in the earlier game in the season.

Might not win anything but Daics has been the best, two years in a row 👌

OK, so forget about all the various individual awards that are voted for by the umpires, coaches, and players.

List the players who have been better than Daicos in 2024, in your unbiased opinion.

Go.
Denied. I refuse. I could not be less interested in indulging in any player x vs player y arguments.

I simply felt like making a point on Brownlows and awards in general on the back of Daicos and the Collingwood team collectively statpadding in a dead-rubber.

I made my point in an earlier post; Bontempelli and Heeney winning their respective games against Collingwood the way they did says a lot more than an umpire's award that rewards cynical stat-padding.

Hang on.

Didn't you call me a stalker in the Collingwood thread I made? Yet here you are engaging in some bizarre behavior tagging me after already quoting me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need a benchmarking system based on key stats so we can identify the quality of a game. We can then have awards based on position. You cannot compare a midfielder with a defender.

Even then its hard to give a value to Jezzas 9 goals against witches hats.

I made my point in an earlier post; Bontempelli and Heeney winning their respective games against Collingwood the way they did says a lot more than an umpire's award that rewards cynical stat-padding.
But there are also many games that Bont, Heeney and Warner play in where their opponents take the game away from them. Otherwise the Bulldogs and Sydney would win every game they play (and the Bulldogs v. Sydney game would be a mouthwatering encounter).

Why highlight just those two specific games, and neglect to mention the many games that Daicos for example has been the best player on the ground to get his team over the line, against teams with other superstar players on the opposing team?

Credit to you to have the energy to bother writing all of this

The meaning is not lost on I

I don't think you're too attuned to marketing.

Commentators were crapping on about the Brownlow all night to help to market a dead rubber. Apparently this round is going to be a massive round for the Brownlow? They kept saying it all night and will continue to do so in other games with a Brownlow fancy. Particularly if it's a low significance game.

Nick did what he always does. Won clearances and spread to receive and like always his teammates gave him the ball when he was in good position. Melbourne were pitiful with the cue in the rack, meaning the blokes who kept running and presenting - Daicos, Daicos, Lipinski got given the ball a heap

But there are also many games that Bont, Heeney and Warner play in where their opponents take the game away from them. Otherwise the Bulldogs and Sydney would win every game they play (and the Bulldogs v. Sydney game would be a mouthwatering encounter).

Why highlight just those two specific games, and neglect to mention the many games that Daicos for example has been the best player on the ground to get his team over the line, against teams with other superstar players on the opposing team?
You are correct, there is no shortage of data that could be examined when determining who the "best player of the season is" or "who is better between player x or player y".
Here's the thing: you could go through all the stats, all the games, every person's opinion, and at the end of the day, nobody will agree. That's why all player x vs player y arguments are a waste of time.

Personally I put a lot of weight into head to head battles in pivotal moments, which is why I brought up the Bontempelli and Heeney examples. Contrast those games with the Friday night game where a team was trying to help an individual stat-pad, and I believe it highlights just how meaningless the Brownlow is, and how little weight it should carry when determining a player's quality or legacy.

Bont was magnificent in the last quarter against us, but those looking to pot Nick regarding that game need to watch it again. The first 3 quarters was the best football of Nick's career. He was magnificent. Single handedly had us in the lead - should have been a much bigger lead

Warner and Heeney are superior to Daicos because they were immense in their round 22 game against Collingwood. They were also both very good in the earlier game in the season.

Epic post Fadge

Its also stupid to even try to make calls on the GOAT footy has continued to evolve. How do you compare Daicos with the best players in the 80s, 90s and 00s. Right now he is in the top 5 with other players performing equally aswell.

Figjam?

Are you sure you aren’t talking about Cripps?
It really is astounding.

Suggesting a player who won a flag in his second season is only interested in individual awards, when they have a list with Coleman Medallists, a Brownlow Medallist, a Gary Ayres Medallist, but zero premierships across their entire list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back