Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 149 28.0%
  • No

Votes: 383 72.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t get ‘Nick’d’ by Nick Daicos, and that is my message to Essendon for tomorrow night, because this guy is on some sort of heater at the moment,” Montagna begun by saying.

“He is playing off the charts, he’s the hottest player in the competition. In the last eight games, he’s been voted the first or second-best player by the coaches in seven of the eight – he’s airborne - Leigh Montagna

View attachment 2045500

There is a few for you to read. Plenty more if you want to look.

You're channeling Dwayne!

“Don’t get ‘Nick’d’ by Nick Daicos, and that is my message to Essendon for tomorrow night, because this guy is on some sort of heater at the moment,” Montagna begun by saying.

“He is playing off the charts, he’s the hottest player in the competition. In the last eight games, he’s been voted the first or second-best player by the coaches in seven of the eight – he’s airborne - Leigh Montagna

View attachment 2045500

'The jungle drums, they are a beating'...

“Don’t get ‘Nick’d’ by Nick Daicos, and that is my message to Essendon for tomorrow night, because this guy is on some sort of heater at the moment,” Montagna begun by saying.

View attachment 2045500

Creditable I believe was the word I used.
Congratulations Nick, your past 8 games have been great. I believe I said since 2023 ( what fadge was alluding to ) not an 8 game framework. Enter Heeney first 2 months this season for example. What awards is he currently leading right now - u know , the ones where they vote week to week ?

Last edited:
Youre so obsessed, that you are calling him the best player in the game since round 1 , 2023.
I have not heard anyone creditable make that call that he is top of the heap
He is clearly in that discussion and taking the objective evidence is the most obvious candidate

Objectively of the 3 big individual awards in the AFL we have most info from the AFLCA. Here is the breakdown for the 2023-24 figures to date for the top 6 vote getters . Player, votes, games, average votes per game

1. Daicos 183, 36, 5.08
  2. Bont 175, 39, 4.48
  3. Butters 162, 39, 4.15
  4. Serong 155, 38, 4.07
  5. Neale 152, 38, 4.00
  6. Cripps 132, 37, 3.56
So Daicos has played the least games, has the most votes and easily best in votes per game. You can say the AFLCA is biased, McRae is giving him votes he doesn't deserve etcetc but to me this is the best objective info we have.

If you then add 3nd in the Brownlow, 2nd in the AFLCA, 2nd in the AFLPA, 2nd in the Copeland (in all those awards he missed significant games compared to the winners and in all was the highest votes per game player*)

He was AA last year and safe to say will be this year. 2nd fav in Brownlow this year, 2nd in AFLCA currently and almost certainly a mile in front in the Copeland

Now you can say you dont rate him, he is only doing this cause he is in a good side, he is timid and outside etc etc but using the objective evidence of awards votes on by the coaches, players and umps its a fair opinion to say he is no 1 in the comp for the last 2 years. Argue it as you want but he has to be discussed as no 1.

*votes per game doesnt apply to the AFLPA

Last edited:
He is clearly in that discussion and taking the objective evidence is the most obvious candidate

Objectively of the 3 big individual awards in the AFL we have most info from the AFLCA. Here is the breakdown for the 2023-24 figures to date for the top 6 vote getters . Player, votes, games, average votes per game

1. Daicos 183, 36, 5.08
  2. Bont 175, 39, 4.48
  3. Butters 162, 39, 4.15
  4. Serong 155, 38, 4.07
  5. Neale 152, 38, 4.00
  6. Cripps 132, 37, 3.56
So Daicos has played the least game, has the most votes and easily best in votes per game. You can say the AFLCA is biased, McRae is giving him votes he doesn't deserve etcetc but to me this is the best objective info we have.

If you then add 3nd in the Brownlow, 2nd in the AFLCA, 2nd in the AFLPA, 2nd in the Copeland (in all those awards he missed significant games compared to the winners and in all was the highest votes per game player*)

He was AA last year and safe to say will be this year. 2nd fav in Brownlow this year, 2nd in AFLCA currently and almost certainly a mile in front in the Copeland

Now you can say you dont rate him, he is only doing this cause he is in a good side, he is timid and outside etc etc but using the objective evidence of awards votes on by the coaches, players and umps its a fair opinion to say he is no 1 in the comp for the last 2 years. Argue it as you want but he has to be discussed as no 1.
There is a lot of 2's in that summation.
And where did I actually state that "I don't rate him"? I welcome you to quote where I posted that.

1. Daicos 183, 36, 5.08
  2. Bont 175, 39, 4.48
  3. Butters 162, 39, 4.15
  4. Serong 155, 38, 4.07
  5. Neale 152, 38, 4.00
  6. Cripps 132, 37, 3.56
So Daicos has played the least games, has the most votes and easily best in votes per game. You can say the AFLCA is biased, McRae is giving him votes he doesn't deserve etcetc but to me this is the best objective info we have.

*votes per game doesnt apply to the AFLPA
If Daicos doesn't take home any of the major awards again this year will Pies fans still blindly state that he's the best player in the league? I suspect yes.

There is a lot of 2's in that summation.
And where did I actually state that "I don't rate him"? I welcome you to quote where I posted that.

If Daicos doesn't take home any of the major awards again this year will Pies fans still blindly state that he's the best player in the league? I suspect yes.
I am just supplying some objective evidence. You may say you don't think he should be in the discussion of the best in the comp in 23-24 and that you have not heard anyone creditable make that call the evidence supplied says he should at least be in the discussion.

Whether you want to hang your hat on they are only 2nd places and not discuss the totals numbers where he clearly is no 1 is up to you.

P.S I forgot to add 3rd in the Norm Smith in 2nd game back after a cracked tibia but thats only a 3rd

PPS Who do you 2 rate as the best over 2023-4, and where is Daicos. For me I would probably go Nick but wouldnt disagree with Bont, Curnow etc but reckon Nick at least needs to be in the discussion

Last edited:
I am just supplying some objective evidence. You may say you don't think he should be in the discussion of the best in the comp in 23-24 and that you have not heard anyone creditable make that call the evidence supplied says he should at least be in the discussion.

Whether you want to hang your hat on they are only 2nd places and not discuss the totals numbers where he clearly is no 1 is up to you.

P.S I forgot to add 3rd in the Norm Smith in 2nd game back after a cracked tibia but thats only a 3rd

PPS Who do you 2 rate as the best over 2023-4, and whare is Daicos. For me I would probably go Nick but wouldnt disagree with Bont, Curnow etc but reckon Nick at least needs to be in the discussion
Do you receive a nice trophy for finishing 3rd in a Norm Smith Medal ?

PPS Who do you 2 rate as the best over 2023-4, and whare is Daicos. For me I would probably go Nick but wouldnt disagree with Bont, Curnow etc but reckon Nick at least needs to be in the discussion
I had Curnow as one that was ahead of him through the 2023 season but Charlie hasn't been too great this year so wouldn't have him in the frame.

For me Bontempelli has been the best player in the competition over the last 3-4 years overall and if I were picking a player to win a game for me he'd still be the first player I'd pick. In season 2024 Heeney has been clearly the best player, what he was doing weekly was extraordinary up until the last month or so where he's tailed off a bit.

Do you receive a nice trophy for finishing 3rd in a Norm Smith Medal ?
You an go off on tangents if you like

However a few posts ago you confidently stated you have heard "no one creditable say he is top of the heap" in 2023-4. Yet if you look at the coaches votes so far in 2023-4 Daicos is clearly the best rated player.

How do you reconcile that with your earlier opinion?

I had Curnow as one that was ahead of him through the 2023 season but Charlie hasn't been too great this year so wouldn't have him in the frame.

For me Bontempelli has been the best player in the competition over the last 3-4 years overall and if I were picking a player to win a game for me he'd still be the first player I'd pick. In season 2024 Heeney has been clearly the best player, what he was doing weekly was extraordinary up until the last month or so where he's tailed off a bit.
So....

1. Bont

Who else before Daicos?

Wouldn't argue with any of those opinions, you can make a reasonable case for all those players and I agree with them all.

Curnow best in 23
Bont best for last 3-4 years
Heeney best in 24 so far

So to the question of best for 2023-4, who do you have there?

Daicos and Bont pretty close to equal best for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You an go off on tangents if you like

However a few posts ago you confidently stated you have heard "no one creditable say he is top of the heap" in 2023-4. Yet if you look at the coaches votes so far in 2023-4 Daicos is clearly the best rated player.

How do you reconcile that with your earlier opinion?
Yeah, I don't really take the coaches votes too seriously.
It's well known Fly has his favourite golden boy on top every week.

Over the 2 years of 2023 and 2024? I'd just have Bont right now. Cripps, Heeney, Serong etc who have been phenomenal in 2024 were all to a lesser standard in 2023. Likewise Curnow, Butters and others in 2023 have not been as good in 2024.
We got there.

So you've rated Nick Daicos as the second best player in the competition, over the course of his 2nd and 3rd years in the system.

That's not a bad effort, right?

Yeah, I don't really take the coaches votes too seriously.
It's well known Fly has his favourite golden boy on top every week.
Thats absolutely well known about Fly because we always know which coach votes which way. When Nick gets 10 votes in a game I reckon Fly is also must be doing something to influence the other coach.

The players dont take the AFLPA award that seriously so I reckon they were trolling Nick by putting him 2nd

We know the umps dont know anything about footy so their opinion doesnt count

The AA committee are just on the AFL gravy train and barely watch the game

Clearly the bastion of football opinion lies with Carlton supporters on BF. They know all

Mate you are sqirming. 'FLYS FAV GOLDEN BOY" and the coaches award isnt serious. Hilarious avoidance. Give me all the players you have ahead of him in 2023-4.

You went too hard on the idea that Nick is just a good player in an 8 week block and isnt in the discussion for best player in 23-24.

Use the w word. I'll start you "I was wr...."

Funny you say that. In Cripps draft year he started as a 179cm in and under midfielder renowned for being the toughest and best clearance player in the draft, then he shot up 16cm and ended up getting drafted as a 6'5 behemoth doing the same.

Whats Nicky's excuse?

He probably wouldn't have even been drafted had he not grown. If he is Naicos' height and weight, Cripps would not be in the AFL.

Over the 2 years of 2023 and 2024? I'd just have Bont right now. Cripps, Heeney, Serong etc who have been phenomenal in 2024 were all to a lesser standard in 2023. Likewise Curnow, Butters and others in 2023 have not been as good in 2024.
I'd agree with this. Curnow is no where near the conversation - lazy footballer in my eyes.
I'd have Nick in my top 10 but not before Bont, Neale or Cripps

The Obsession from Carlton supporters continue...

View attachment 2045447

That's embarrassing. I really hope for the sake of those 3 people that they are 22 and under, because if they're supposed to have real lives/jobs, and they're coming here to troll this often while neglecting the people around them, it would be pretty pathetic.

I'd agree with this. Curnow is no where near the conversation - lazy footballer in my eyes.
I'd have Nick in my top 10 but not before Bont, Neale or Cripps

I'd give you Neale and Bont, but Cripps has had some very ordinary seasons in his career. Playing awesome this year which is great, but there have been some years of his prime where he was almost carried, 20 and 21 come to mind.

Petracca is significantly better.

Clearly the bastion of football opinion lies with Carlton supporters on BF. They know best

You went too hard on the idea that Nick is just a good player in an 8 week block and isnt in the discussion for best player in 23-24.

Use the w word. I'll start you "I was wr...."
I did not state that Nick wasn't in the discussion for best player in 23-24. AGAIN, point out to me using quotes where I said that.

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back