Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 160 28.5%
  • No

Votes: 402 71.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The irony after Pies fans have accused others of just chasing individual glory while they're chasing premierships... Last night was one of the most brazen stat padathons I've ever seen from a player going after an individual award
As I said in another thread, Collingwood play every game of every season to the last minute. That's why they've won more games than any other club over the course of history.

What is Daicos meant to do? Realise they won't be contending for the flag with 6 games to go and put the cue in the rack?

That approach has really worked well for Carlton...

As I said in another thread, Collingwood play every game of every season to the last minute. That's why they've won more games than any other club over the course of history.

What is Daicos meant to do? Realise they won't be contending for the flag with 6 games to go and put the cue in the rack?

That approach has really worked well for Carlton...
The bloke almost had a heart attack he was running that hard to get some cheap 1-2s after the game delay. Embarrassing stuff against a team that were genuine traffic cones out there most of the night and clearly already in Cancun.

Pretty clear Nicky was desperate to trigger that Brownlow clause in his contract.

Brownlow votes aren't a great metric to go by. What if you're playing alongside three top 20 players in the comp and all are sharing votes. Same goes for coaches votes. Further to that, not all 3 vote games are equal. So without benchmarking the quality of games you can't use votes as a guide.

It's possible to get 1 vote for a 40 and 2 game, and 3 votes for a 30 and 0 game.

Unless you're bnechmarking from the BEST performance in a game you can't use votes.
There's always going to be debate over these issues. It can be seen as a disadvantage to be a part of a strong side that is full of vote stealing midfielders. But then it can be seen as a disadvantage to play in a terrible team where it is very difficult to get votes in general.

Probably the "best" situation for getting masses of votes is to be in a competitive team that wins more games than it loses (or at least isn't far below a 50% win rate), but does not have a couple of other midfield stars stealing votes. Or doesn't have a really deep cast of players who bob up for vote winning cameos.

In that respect I'd say Ablett Junior's peak had the worst of both worlds. Straight from a dominant side who had a deep cast of players stealing solid amounts of votes (including other midfield A graders who did very well...and forward flankers rolling through midfield who were stars in their own right) into an all time bad side where you had to play incredibly well to get any votes at all (in 10 goal plus losses etc). By the time Gold Coast started approaching competitiveness (2013-2014 until injury) Ablett's votes started sky rocketing again, where he easily had more than anyone else.

If Ablett was in similar sorts of sides to the 2014 Suns (prior to his injury, finals bound but not dominant) during the whole 2008-2014 stretch, I think he would've swept 5 or 6 Brownlows/Coaches Votes awards instead of 2 and 3 respectively.

The irony after Pies fans have accused others of just chasing individual glory while they're chasing premierships... Last night was one of the most brazen stat padathons I've ever seen from a player going after an individual award
I think you missed he was the most influential player on the ground which is the most important thing. Don't go by stats. His 1 wood is he makes things happen in situations other players cant more than any other player in the game, Bont maybe excepted. Good example was the set up play to give Jamie Elliott a mark inside 50 in the 3rd Q. Hemmed in on boundary , few moments later he has freed himself and given Elliott a mark on his own inside 50. Thats what makes him great

Brownlow votes are best looked at career tallies and votes per game played. Using a 321 system with 600+ players in the race means the actual winner is often just marginally haead or in some opiions behind the next places. Winning is great but look at careers and votes per game and its much more accurate

The 3 gun mids in the game currently in their prime are a great example. Bont, Cripps and Neale. Go on Brownlow wins and Neale has 2 , Cripps 1 and Bont 0. My guess is most people would assess them as players as Bont1, Neale 2 and Cripps 3 but its close and all are all time greats. Lifetime brownlow votes looks like this

Bont 169 votes 0.83 votes per game
Neale 187 votes 0.82 votes per game
Cripps 141 votes 0.78 votes per game

Daicos is already on 39 votes at 0.92 votes per game. If he gets 26 votes per game this year will go to 1 vote per game and join Bunton as the one player at that level.If he gets 30 votes he will go to 1.06 votes per game passing Bunton as the best votes per game player ever. Extraordinary for a 3rd year player

Brownlow votes are best looked at career tallies and votes per game played. Using a 321 system with 600+ players in the race means the actual winner is often just marginally haead or in some opiions behind the next places. Winning is great but look at careers and votes per game and its much more accurate

The 3 gun mids in the game currently in their prime are a great example. Bont, Cripps and Neale. Go on Brownlow wins and Neale has 2 , Cripps 1 and Bont 0. My guess is most people would assess them as players as Bont1, Neale 2 and Cripps 3 but its close and all are all time greats. Lifetime brownlow votes looks like this

Daicos is already on 39 votes at 0.92 votes per game. If he gets 26 votes per game this year will go to 1 vote per game and join Bunton as the one player at that level.If he gets 30 votes he will go to 1.06 votes per game passing Bunton as the best votes per game player ever. Extraordinary for a 3rd year player
Brownlow votes are largely subjective based on observations. The umpires cant possibly concentrate on the ge AND reliably pick the best players in the short time frame.

Brownlow votes are largely subjective based on observations. The umpires cant possibly concentrate on the ge AND reliably pick the best players in the short time frame.
I'm with Crit on this. They are not perfect but over time (not just a single season) they generally are good for picking out the best midfielders of the era with total votes and average votes per game being an excellent indicator of performance.

Last edited:
I'm with Crit on this. They are not perfect but over time (not just a single season) they generally are good for picking out the best midfielders of the era with total votes and average votes per game being an excellent indicator of performance.
Generally yes, but Bont having none while Neale could potentially have 3 at the end of this year is a major blemish on the award.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Generally yes, but Bont having none while Neale could potentially have 3 at the end of this year is a major blemish on the award.
That's an outlier for sure but over the 15 years they both play, there will be times when the Bont would end up with a 3 voter he didn't deserve and Neale would miss out when he deserves votes. It all balances out.

Last edited:
Melbourne: “we are serious about winning this game, we can’t give a farewell game to Ben Brown

Also Melbourne: “let one of the games best players run around and do what he wants, chuck ANB on him for 15 minutes and let a kid run around and learn a lesson for the rest”

Lmao

Amazing game from Nick though, absolute class - Josh also ridiculous today

Well he doesnt so people are only saying the truth. He is a great offensive player though no doubt
He did stand under a high ball in the first and copped a big hit from Salem even though he was probably no chance to mark it

Not a huge hit or hugely courageous but he definitely didn’t shirk the contest, he stood strong and took the impact - could’ve been McDonald on his hammer for all he knew too

All assessments have a large subjective element even before you consider individual bias. Still the Brownlow stacks up well if you let it be what it is. Its imprecise but so is every individual award. The thing I like is that it and the AFLCA award, voted by two different groups with different criteria and voting systems come up with results that correlate well. Every year there is about 7-9 players who are in the top 10 of both awards. They are all midfielder awards and that because the modern game is midfield dominant.

Look at the players who have the high career votes per game and you will find virtually all the great mids are high up and no imposters get a run. Its a good assessment.

Weird how you're putting in all this effort to inflate the umpire's award.

Weird how you're putting in all this effort to inflate the umpire's award.
Umpires award, coaches award, media awards - it'll be the same players up the top of all of them.

Heeney not being eligible is the only reason to discount this year's Brownlow below the other awards.

He's been the best player this year.

I was shocked to see Daicos running his arse off to receive - really out of character - and Collingwood players giving it off to their best user when he'd made good position - really unusual ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back