Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 160 28.5%
  • No

Votes: 402 71.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We have more important things to focus on like playing finals. I understand that these individual awards is all you have to look forward to this season
Give yourself just over a week and you can join us. We can stream the 2023 flag win while you get out the beta tape and crank up the old video machine and crack into the 1995 flag.

Arr0w I love your posts generally but you must admit Nick is deserving of the win right?

All coaches are a bit biased to their own and it levels out across a season + Nick was in Collingwoods best players regardless of win or loss most weeks so of course he was going to get the lions share from his coach

I am very happy for Nick and would’ve been ok with any of the top three winning it

The 5 votes (BOG) he got from Macrae in round 21 makes the whole award a farce.

Nick is good and it's not like he was underserving of the Coaches Votes award. He has been great in a team that has been murdered by injury, and one a few shining lights in Collingwood's Season. Heeney could have easily won had he played in the two games he missed but it's all "what about this", "if this didn't happen". Quote Verstappen "It's all so, "If I". If my mum had balls she would be my dad."

The bolded part makes no sense to me. Sure there are limitations to what awards can tell you and you need to use them in that context. Just flat "I dont rate either" means you are ignoring a mass of information and assessment by informed people whose views are worth hearing.

Have a look at the cumulative data and see how closely it correlates with the best players , especially mids in the modern era. Its a waste looking at individual winners as particularly meaningful. Look at vote totals over time and you will see the cream has well and truly risen to the top.

How can you not rate the evidence that GAJ is the absolutel dominant votegetter in the AFLCA since its inception and is most peoples vote as the clear best mid in that time also.

Arr0w I love your posts generally but you must admit Nick is deserving of the win right?

All coaches are a bit biased to their own and it levels out across a season + Nick was in Collingwoods best players regardless of win or loss most weeks so of course he was going to get the lions share from his coach

I am very happy for Nick and would’ve been ok with any of the top three winning it

Of course goatie is a deserving winner, as would Heeney, Bont, Cripps or Neale

Of competition awards, I rate MVP higher than Coaches or Brownlow Awards, but no recipient is undeserving

Further to what I have written above its irrelevent to me that Daicos wins the award this year. Ist past the post in a field of hundreds with this format doesnt particularly seperate you. It's just a nice gong. If Daicos was 2nd or 3rd or 4th it wouldn't change my view of him.

Next step to get a stronger picture is put 2 years together. This is the 2023-24 totals

Daicos 99+117 = 216 43 games
Bont 102+93 = 195 46 games
Neale 91+97 = 188 45 games
Butters 109+78 = 187 46 games
Serong 86+100 = 186 45 games
Gulden 88+86 = 174 46 games
Cripps 60+113 = 173 44 games
Heeney <60+112 = <172 43 games
Merrett 76+80 = 156 45 games
Anderson 76+68 = 144 46 games

Thats the top 10. Heeney was outside the top 20 last year so got <60 votes but I haven't added them up.

If you go to the AFLCA site and look at the top 20 vote getters each year that they list from 2006 these are the best 2 year totals

Danger 16/17 242 votes
Daicos 23/24 216 votes
Martin 16/17 212 votes
Oliver 21/22 212 votes
Ablett 07/08 197 votes, 08/09 196 votes, 12/13 175 votes
Fyfe 14/15 195 votes
Bont 23/24 195 votes
Swan 10/12 194 votes

Pretty much aligns with who have been the absolute peak mids in the game through those year. Judds just back a bit but his real dynamic years were Eagles years and say Pendles/Mitchell/Selwood etc, mids who are all time greats but never the very top of the tree are just a little further back

Stretch it out over more years and it just rates and rates the elite players. Also makes you see 2nd and 3rd year Daicos as extraordinary.
Overwhelming evidence that Daics is currently the best player in the game and on the fast-track to GOAT status, not that we needed it

The 5 votes (BOG) he got from Macrae in round 21 makes the whole award a farce.
As #WalshistheGOAT pointed out - he probably should have gotten 2 or 3 votes from each coach. Fly saw Vossy's ridiculous attempt to rig it by giving him zero votes and balanced the ledger so Nick got the overall 5 he deserved.

He's a sly one that Vossy.

Of course goatie is a deserving winner, as would Heeney, Bont, Cripps or Neale

Of competition awards, I rate MVP higher than Coaches or Brownlow Awards, but no recipient is undeserving

Do you understand how the voting system works for MVP?

At the end of the year players give a 3 2 1 for who they think was the best player that year. Purely vibe based on an overall season - with the clincher being that a lot of the voters don't actually watch that many games and haven't seen the best and worst of the players they're voting for - So they're voting for blokes from other teams Bont, or Nick or Heeney or Cripps etc sometimes having only watched a couple of their full games.

Last edited:
Fleabag McRae 'balanced the ledger' a few times though.
Yes there was the infamous 2 vote rort that you alerted us to - where it was plain as day that Fly gave 2 votes to Nick and none to Sidebottom and the opposition coach did the opposite. It couldn't have possibly been the other way around and who was 4th best on the ground was unarguable and was definitely Sidebottom. It was a scandal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back