Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 160 28.5%
  • No

Votes: 402 71.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Played well? Maybe.
He was smashed by his direct opponent.

Didn't have nearly the influence that several of his teammates did.
He wasn't in the best 5 players on the ground. O votes was fitting.
I could see a world where Daicos gets 2 from Voss and 3 from McRae

I could also see 1,4

Daicos got 2 in the Essendon vs Collingwood game

He was great in that game too, not sure it lends to there being an inherent bias that Fly has for Naicos

Nick has won it, he’s a deserving winner and he’ll be a top 5 player competition wide for years to come

Just enjoy it, no point stressing yourself out over it

Do you understand how the voting system works for MVP?

At the end of the year players give a 3 2 1 for who they think was the best player that year. Purely vibe based on an overall season - with the clincher being that a lot of the voters don't actually watch that many games and haven't seen the best and worst of the players they're voting for - So they're voting for blokes from other teams Bont, or Nick or Heeney or Cripps etc sometimes on having only watched a couple of their full games.

I understand how it works, never stated the MVP is foolproof, just less bias as players can't vote for one of their own

Awards are great for a club, media and the masses of supporters, but does it really sway your view on how you see a player?

I understand how it works, never stated the MVP is foolproof, just less bias as players can't vote for one of their own

Awards are great for a club, media and the masses of supporters, but does it really sway your view on how you see a player?
For me it depends on what you're looking for - best player or which player had the best year. It's a fabulous honour, as all peer based honours are - but the nature of it is more suited to players ranking who is the most respected and probably best player in the game. It's not set up to be able to be close to looking at who had the best year - which is what the other awards are trying to do.

Absolute gun. Would love him at the Bulldogs.

I never understand the debate with Nick. The guy is a jet.

Its called the tall poopy syndrome. People are jealous and feel so inferior they need to start sprouting outright lies to make themselves feel better.

The salty tears in here (and lets face it, is mostly Carlton fans) would fill up an Olympic size swimming pool.

**** em all.

Its called the tall poopy syndrome.

No it isn't. If Collingwood fans just settled with "he is a very good player" no one would have a problem with it, but this thread is "Can he be the greatest of all time" which is a completely different and much higher standard. If you set the standard that high then you can criticise a player much more than if you say said player is just a very good player.

No it isn't. If Collingwood fans just settled with "he is a very good player" no one would have a problem with it, but this thread is "Can he be the greatest of all time" which is a completely different and much higher standard. If you set the standard that high then you can criticise a player much more than if you say said player is just a very good player.
Correct. I'd have no issues with Daicos if Pies fans weren't trying to convince the masses he's the 2nd coming. You want to compare him to the GOAT... Expect him to be critiqued as harshly as the players in that conversation were (who were far more rounded players too)

Give yourself just over a week and you can join us. We can stream the 2023 flag win while you get out the beta tape and crank up the old video machine and crack into the 1995 flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yes nick is the GOAT

A midfielder just is not as important as a key position player. One midfielder can't win the game for you like a key forward or a ruckman can.

I for instance would take Gawn every day of the week over Daicos. Gawn would actually help the Swans midfield far more than Daicos would as he would not only control the tap work, allowing Sydney's midfield to be far more aggressive at the stoppages but he would provide a very much needed target down the line that the team can kick to and just sort of know Gawn would take a contested mark. That is far more valuable than any single midfielder can be as Gawn is making it easier for the entire midfield.

A midfielder just is not as important as a key position player. One midfielder can't win the game for you like a key forward or a ruckman can.

I for instance would take Gawn every day of the week over Daicos. Gawn would actually help the Swans midfield far more than Daicos would as he would not only control the tap work, allowing Sydney's midfield to be far more aggressive at the stoppages but he would provide a very much needed target down the line that the team can kick to and just sort of know Gawn would take a contested mark. That is far more valuable than any single midfielder can be as Gawn is making it easier for the entire midfield.
I laugh at that opinion, rucks arent that important you just need one that can take a mark and not get smashed in the hitouts

Correct. I'd have no issues with Daicos if Pies fans weren't trying to convince the masses he's the 2nd coming. You want to compare him to the GOAT... Expect him to be critiqued as harshly as the players in that conversation were (who were far more rounded players too)

Jesus was overrated. I don't think all his mercy stuff would stack up in the modern game. Nick's more your 1st coming type.

I laugh at that opinion, rucks arent that important you just need one that can take a mark and not get smashed in the hitouts

That is a "good enough" ruck but the truly great ones elevate a team a lot. Being smashed in the ruck is a huge problem, and as a Swans fan I know how much of a problem it is.

The only players I have ever watched against the Swans and thought "we can't stop this player, nothing we can do will work" have been Gawn and Ablett Jnr. No other player came close.

That is a "good enough" ruck but the truly great ones elevate a team a lot. Being smashed in the ruck is a huge problem, and as a Swans fan I know how much of a problem it is.

The only players I have ever watched against the Swans and thought "we can't stop this player, nothing we can do will work" have been Gawn and Ablett Jnr. No other player came close.
Prime Gawn was an absolute force

I've watched Hawthorn and Geelong win flags with very average rucks, i cant recall a team winning a flag without a gun in the middle

And Lockett in the final quarter of that famous 1994 match. I've never seen anything like it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back