Autopsy NM v West Coast - the great choke!

Remove this Banner Ad

If we come out in a state of lethargy in 2025 and lose the first 6-7 games, this place will implode.

I'm expecting in Clarko's 3rd season that we are competitive in every game. Every game.

I don't give a **** if that's irrational.

Massive over haul, especially mindset in the preseason

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep Pink is going to magically learn kicking accuracy to the standard 15m

We are on!

So to appease BF posters we needed to beat and aging no good Eagle. Makes me want to throw up

We play footy to win. Losing yesterday doesn't improve our draft position or any other shit. All it showed was we are lacking behind our eyes or between our ears or whatever. we lost the game because we lacked the mentality to make sure we won it. That is the next step we need to take.

And yes to appease me and the hundred thousand other north supporters and members there are around the country we needed to win that. I haven't seen us win a game since round 19 2016. One of my daughters who was there there yesterday was born over a year after that.

Two things, first, how is it verse anyone, we didn't have the Reid choice.

Second that's a very big statement to suggest he isn't invested. You have the floor.
If anyone didn't look invested yesterday it was Reid himself.

The fact that the team dropped the ball (excuse the pun) and lost another game they should have won is something that I feel will be addressed with another pre-season under the belt. Ie. Better fitness, stronger bodies, more maturity/older….
If the coaches can use results like yesterday's loss to get their messages through the skulls of the players like Curtis, Zurhaar and one or two others about their level of intensity, involvement with the ball and the waste of aggression in the case of Zurhaar when it's completely unnecessary then we benefit.

Surely they take these kind of lessons and actually help players to develop? I'm sure that happens.

Similarly for the blokes who need to work on bulk, strength and/or fitness. RHJr showed a lot of intent, won a couple of tackling contests and was involved. A couple of extra kilos of muscle and he could be genuinely dangerous.

Most of the young blokes will benefit from another preseason, motivated by the desire to not lose these kind of games, especially after being in the box seat.

The big question for me is, how do the coaches teach the older experienced players to stand up when the pressure is on so they can actually influence the game?

Realty is, the team needs a solid leader who can read the game as it's playing out, who can reset the team when they lose structure and who can remain calm when the pressure is on instead of crumbling, grimacing and allowing the chaos to spread.

Ideally, that leadership should come from the captain/s and from all of the senior players across each line. When the scramble becomes every man for himself then it's no wonder opposition teams can run over the top

Anyway, onwards and upwards from here.

We play footy to win. Losing yesterday doesn't improve our draft position or any other shit. All it showed was we are lacking behind our eyes or between our ears or whatever. we lost the game because we lacked the mentality to make sure we won it. That is the next step we need to take.

And yes to appease me and the hundred thousand other north supporters and members there are around the country we needed to win that. I haven't seen us win a game since round 19 2016. One of my daughters who was there there yesterday was born over a year after that.

I'm not as easily appeased though. We aren't challenging with Pink, Phillips, Shiels, Ford, Tucker, Scott in the current side with their current output.

We'd be better and much better with Fisher, Logue, Stephens, Wardlaw, Goater, probably unplayed George, a Dawson or 2.

If we come out in a state of lethargy in 2025 and lose the first 6-7 games, this place will implode.

I'm expecting in Clarko's 3rd season that we are competitive in every game. Every game.

I don't give a **** if that's irrational.

Massive over haul, especially mindset in the preseason

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Anything less than eight wins next season is completely unacceptable.

No team in the modern era has been as shit (W-L) for as long as we have. To expect supporters to just sit and cop this type of performance consistently is absolute tripe.

The ‘hopefullness’ of time needs to make way for tangible improvement brought on by a lift in standards and quality to football.

This is what I thought we’d be getting with the Clarkson appointment.

But sadly it’s not the case.

Last edited:
Chicken or the egg - forward entries.

Every week we give up at least 4-5 goals or at least favourable opportunities when in ascendency.

Its rare that teams are able to not give up games when in ascendancy these days. It happens nearly every match. Most teams have the composure to regroups and keep the run to under four goals. We panic.

No idea if it's poor system or poor compliance still but 60 point leads become 30 point leads and opposition know we'll exhaust ourselves without due reward.

Intercept players must delay contract talks to weeks they play us, we love picking them out.

In the games where we have had a three plus goal lead going into the last teams simply gamble on us shitting the bed. They don't even try to defend they play off their men and attack from the backline without a thought to defending. We go into our shells at the same time. Its a situation where the fear of losing becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

That image of Brad Scott spinning on his chair yesterday - he's thinking "Oh no its happening again and there's nothing I can do about it." That's the same mentality our side has. (I'm not saying they're linked. Its been too many years of losses for us and they've happened since Brad left.)

Someone mentioned Hodge and his game for the Brions upthread. his ability to understand the situation and direct the players to know how to respond. Lmac isn't up to that and all our other young leaders are at least five years younger than Hodge was when he did that. They don't have the experience to draw from to turn it around cos they haven't seen it done. The reason Shiels is there is to provide that sort of leadership but he can't play on the backline and do it.

He needed to be pulling the midfield in and telling them what to do tho. That would have helped in the last 10 minutes when they just ran over the top of us.

You're obviously still angry. :) I'm not surprised it was an ordinary result given what it should've been. I get angry during games, and the neighbours have gotten used to the odd barrage of profanity over time with the TV games, but I've been through it before in a few era's, and as hard as it is, we just have to be patient. One thing I can say from experience, it makes it all that much more satisfying when it eventually clicks.
There is a sense of realising where we’re at.
We’re 17th.
We have a percentage of 68.3. That’s us.

And wins have been so bloody hard to come by, what this playing group needs is genuine belief. That it can win when expected to.
To show themselves they don’t belong with Richmond and West Coast and that next season we should start beating middle of the table sides.
And we just failed in the most remarkable fashion.

Clarko had us all believing that we wanted to finish the season off strong and take genuine momentum into 2025 and yet I worry about the next fortnight and what the results will do for the group, if anything.

Yeh anger, frustration, resentment. All that’s on show.
The question is when are our leaders just gonna grow up. This is on them.

There is a sense of realising where we’re at.
We’re 17th.
We have a percentage of 68.3. That’s us.

And wins have been so bloody hard to come by, what this playing group needs is genuine belief. That it can win when expected to.
To show themselves they don’t belong with Richmond and West Coast and that next season we should start beating middle of the table sides.
And we just failed in the most remarkable fashion.

Clarko had us all believing that we wanted to finish the season off strong and take genuine momentum into 2025 and yet I worry about the next fortnight and what the results will do for the group, if anything.

Yeh anger, frustration, resentment. All that’s on show.
The question is when are our leaders just gonna grow up. This is on them.
Our leaders are named as such through age only.

McDonald, Simpkin are career losers. Panic merchants. Bed shitters.

Larkey had the chance to ice the game 35m out on a slight angle. Failed miserably under the weight of expectation.

Shiels is absolutely cooked as a player and simply doesn’t do enough.

It flows from there.

Of the 25 and unders, LDU stands up most week but isn’t a vocal leader in the truest sense. He just a gun footballer.

Sheezel is a star, but it can’t be left all to a 19 year old to calm down and compose blokes who have played 200 ****ing games of elite level football.

The big question for me is, how do the coaches teach the older experienced players to stand up when the pressure is on so they can actually influence the game?

You need to be able to distance yourself from the situation while being in it. Almost like applied schizophrenia. So you can disassociate from the immediacy of the situation, assess what's needed then re associate and apply what's needed.

The coaches need to be able to identify certain players and teach them to recognise those moments when we're losing composure, step back from things and identify what we need to slow the situation down and give us the opportunity to regain composure, then communicate what we need to do to apply that to the other players in a manner that the other players listen to. Or else provide staff who can teach them that.

There's enough time after a goal is kicked to be able to do this sort of assessment and then get your head bnack in the game. It only takes 10 or 15 seconds to spread the message.

Run on goals happen quickly so the idea is to slow the ability of the other team to play quickly.

We all know this, we've all watched enough footy. But the players are in the game and its a different story for them.

Anything less than eight wins next season is completely unacceptable.

No team in the modern era has been as shit (W-L) for as long as we have. To expect supporters to just sit and cop this type of performance consistently is absolute tripe.

The ‘hopefullness’ of time needs to make way for tangible improvement brought on by a lift in standards and quality to football.

This is what I thought we’d be getting with the Clarkson appointment.

But sadly it’s not the case.
Other teams in the past would be as shit as, or worse than us if they were subject to the stand rule and 666. You cant keep saying that. Those two rules cook shit teams.

In the past, lets use melbourne. They could have thrown 16 players behind the ball in the D 50 when we were 13 points up with 2 minutes to go.

Theres a win for melb but a loss for us.

Stop it. No tEaM iN hIsToRy WaS aS bAd As We ARe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

About 2 minutes into the game Teakle marked on the wing. Nobody moved. Later Kerch was kicking in from a behind. Nobody moved. Kerch gave the what's happening hand gesture.
Set the tone for the day.
speaking of kickins, is bemuses me given that the defendwer is allowed to run 1o meters from the square that we never exploit this, we were so predictable going left of screen to the line every kickin that eagles just populated the space, leaving the corridor clear, person taking kickin just had to run the full 10m and switch back into the corridor playing it like a deep pagens paddock, might have came off , may not have but the status quo sure got old fast.

Other teams in the past would be as shit as, or worse than us if they were subject to the stand rule and 666. You cant keep saying that. Those two rules cook shit teams.

In the past, lets use melbourne. They could have thrown 16 players behind the ball in the D 50 when we were 13 points up with 2 minutes to go.

Theres a win for melb but a loss for us.

Stop it. No tEaM iN hIsToRy WaS aS bAd As We ARe
So the rules are what’s causing us to be awful?

That’s a new one.

Players are at their fittest and strongest between 25 and 30. Most of our side won't be getting there until the end of next year.
People should brace for at least that, look where the bulk of our talent is at

Sheezel 19
Wardlaw 20
McKercher 19
Duursma 18
W.Dawson 18
Hardeman 19

then Powell 22
Archer 21
Curtis 21
Bergman 21
Goater 21
George 20
Ford 22
Chom 23
Phillips 22

And we only just have LDU, Xerri and Scott moving into their prime. Larkey, Simpkin, Zurhaar, Logue in their prime.

Pretty easy to see where the improvement will come from and will happen over the course of years.

Last edited:
Good food for thought ferball.

Yeh leadership might be the weakness and I don't meant that facetiously. Our guys have heart - but do they have smarts?

As per Rick's post we lacked the game sense late in proceedings and fell for the same card trick for the 3rd time I can recall this year. You could include our wins too where we've kept the door wide open for the late steal.

I like your idea of identifying the best young leaders and developing them. Would only import leadership under exceptional circumstances - we didn't need to bring in external players to teach Carey, Archer, Stevens & Co how to tie their shoelaces.

Realty is, the team needs a solid leader who can read the game as it's playing out, who can reset the team when they lose structure and who can remain calm when the pressure is on instead of crumbling, grimacing and allowing the chaos to spread.
Carey up to much these days?

I think my relationship with this footy club is toxic. I'm tired of feeling anxiety when we play, the sadness and anger after most games isn't good for my health either.
I agree, But it will get better overtime (unless we die from all of the pain before we see a top 8 spot).

People should brace for at least that, look where the bulk of our talent is at

Sheezel 19
Wardlaw 20
McKercher 19
Duursma 18
W.Dawson 18
Hardeman 19

then Powell 22
Archer 21
Curtis 21
Bergman 21
Goater 21
George 20
Ford 22
Chom 23
Phillips 22

And we only have just have LDU, Xerri and Scott moving into their prime. Larkey, Simpkin, Zurhaar, Logue in their prime.

Pretty easy to see where the improvement will come from and will happen over the course of years.
You’re cool. I like this post 😉

And wins have been so bloody hard to come by, what this playing group needs is genuine belief.
I have a bit of a theory that there is actually a level of performance delusion among the group.

As evidenced by Zurhaar getting on the mic after the Richmond game and telling supporters we’ll see silverware soon.

Like that’s a cool sound bite but how’s about we win a game where it’s not down to the last 5 minutes?

How’s about we back up effort?

How about we lead at the ball carrier consistently?

If they think that things will just happen they are living in a bubble outside of reality.

Silverware does not just happen.

I have a bit of a theory that there is actually a level of performance delusion among the group.

As evidenced by Zurhaar getting on the mic after the Richmond game and telling supporters we’ll see silverware soon.

Like that’s a cool sound bite but how’s about we win a game where it’s not down to the last 5 minutes?

How’s about we back up effort?

How about we lead at the ball carrier consistently?

If they think that things will just happen they are living in a bubble outside of reality.

Silverware does not just happen.
Wish i could like that post 10 times. They know how much talent they have, talent alone doesn’t win shit.

Like Clarkson said, these boys need losses like that, lessons

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy NM v West Coast - the great choke!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back