Autopsy NM v West Coast - the great choke!

Remove this Banner Ad

Kingy was seething on First Crack. He's not buying the copium.
"I think North Melbourne supporters have had enough of these primary school errors that continue to happen at the North Melbourne football club. On, off. Recruiting, development.
"It's time this changes. Can't be too accepting of this stuff. Oh yeah we're building and we're developing. Enough of that. Time to step into the next weight range and get serious about winning these games.
" I thought they'd win 6-7 games.Too accepting of being this team down the bottom. Really disappointing and the Kangaroos fans have had enough of this"

Took a break for awhile but I've gotta step in here with some negativity.

That was a shitful display and lays bare this team's most fundamental flaw. Namely, they don't know how to win.

Think back to all of our most recent wins. Let's go back to 2022, when things began falling apart (again) at a rate of knots.

2022 WC: barely scrape by a COVID-ravaged club fielding top up players. The door never quite closed on the possibility of a comeback

2022 Rich: lose a 5 goal lead, regain it thanks to some Goldy/Zurhaar brilliance, nearly lose it again but are saved by Jake Aarts having the football IQ of a cabbage

2023 WC: lose a 4-5 goal lead, CT hits the post from point blank with a shot that would've iced it, we get a dodgy ruck free kick, just hang on

2023 Frem: cough up a 20 point lead in a matter of minutes, saved by Sheezel and the siren

2023 GC: massively outplay GC, they somehow score three quick ones to keep themselves in with a sniff, we're saved at the crucial next centre bounce by TT, and Curtis ices it

2024 WC: lose a 5 goal lead again, get it back thanks to a shocking umpiring call, Curtis eventually ices it

2024 GC: massively outplay them, don't make it count on the scoreboard, GC somehow claw back, and we have to rely on an Ainsworth miss (from a relatively easy shot) to win

2024 Rich: massively outplay them, don't make it count on the scoreboard, rely on Richmond to miss shots in the final quarter, before Stephenson of all people steps up, and Scott ices the game

Anyone see a common theme there? I certainly ****ing do. No one knows what they need to do to win. We can play like the Harlem Globetrotters for the first three and a half quarters, but sure as eggs are eggs, we will absolutely fall apart in the final fifteen minutes of a fourth quarter if we have the lead.

By my count we have three players who play like they believe they can win every game. Their names are X, Arch and Sheezel. The rest of them are the losingest losers that ever lost.

All the top 5 draft picks in the world will not compensate for such a mammoth mental block. We as supporters have a right to be furious. We've had a gutful of this. We've tolerated more abject shit than some fans of other clubs will tolerate in a lifetime. 'Oh, but 1994 was worse.' Give me a break. Losing a prelim like that is gut-wrenching. However, it does not result in long-term despair as you come to terms with the fact that your club has forgotten how to do the only thing that matters in football. You cry your eyes out about it and look to the next optimism-filled season.

Losers. 40 players on our list are losers. They are comfortable as losers and they expect to be losers. They don't enjoy it, but they don't realise that they have the power to step up and become winners. Until that happens, all of your starry eyedness over shiny new toys and this bloke's form and that bloke's form won't mean jack shit

94 we were in it up to our necks in it for a shot at a Flag and it’s all well and good now to know we got there eventually in 96 and 99…but that night we did not know it and it was a catastrophe because we blew a shot at it that we didn’t know whether we’d get at it again.

Yesterday and 30 years later we are up to our necks in garbage

Yeah thats not what gaslighting means.

And I was definitely being sarcastic because youve reacted and want to delist/trade half the team.

If you wanna look at the last 3 minutes, I saw Jy stand up and run from across the centre square to deliver two big tackles, force a holding the ball and get us an inside 50 to have a chance. Disposals been average of late but Im not trading the captain who has mentored all our young stars. Jesus…
Except you clearly set out to objectify instead of trying to express sarcasm.

Delist and trade half the team means a list of 22-23 players should be f***ed off.
I never said that.

All the below are out of contract and highly likely gone:

Greenwood - retire
Taylor - gone
Shiels - gone
Lazzaro - gone
Sellers - gone
Free - gone
Hansen Jr - gone (my opinion)

99% of this board would agree this group are finished up. I didn’t state anything ground breaking here.

Then I said to rookie Harvey and Drury who are out of contract.

The below 3 have deals for 2025 and are nowhere near the standard they should be due to ability, injury and form:
Nuyon - gone
CCJ - gone - please pay him out
Stephenson - rookie (can’t rely on him)
but may be worth persisting on a wing

As for the 2 captains, I have been very vocal that McDonald isn’t best 22 and Jy shouldn’t be playing midfield minutes at all.
If he’s willing to start at half forward for the benefit of the side next season, great.
If not then I would be more than happy to test what his value is worth on the open market.
Jy was crucially poor defensively at a stoppage in the last few minutes as TBL pointed out.
He gives his all and tries hard, but there is enough evidence over several years now whereby Jy is a big part of the mess we’re in and I don’t believe will be part of the solution to get us out of the rot.

Last edited:
Except you clearly set out to objectify instead of trying to express sarcasm.

Delist and trade half the team means a list of 22-23 players should be f***ed off.
I never said that.

All the below are out of contract and highly likely gone:

Greenwood - retire
Taylor - gone
Shiels - gone
Lazzaro - gone
Sellers - gone
Free - gone
Hansen Jr - gone (my opinion)

99% of this board would agree this group are finished up. I didn’t state anything ground breaking here.

Then I said to rookie Harvey and Drury who are out of contract.

The below 3 have deals for 2025 and are nowhere near the standard they should be due to ability, injury and form:
Nuyon - gone
CCJ - gone - please pay him out
Stephenson - rookie (can’t rely on him)
but may be worth persisting on a wing

As for the 2 captains, I have been very vocal that McDonald isn’t best 22 and Jy shouldn’t be playing midfield minutes at all.
If he’s willing to start at half forward for the benefit of the side next season, great.
If not then I would be more than happy to test what his value is worth on the open market.
Jy was crucially poor defensively at a stoppage in the last few minutes as TBL pointed out.
He gives his all and tried hard, but there is enough evidence over several years now whereby Jy is a big part of the mess we’re in and I don’t believe will be part of the solution to get us out of the rot.

No mention of Pink?

Clarko's already hinted that the dual captaincy model is under review.

McDonald won't be Captain next year and Jy's hanging by a thread.
I would give the captaincy to X. The current 2 are frauds. When we were struggling in the first half of the year, who was putting in and winning his position, regardless of who he came up against? X. Make a statement. We need winners to lead this club.

I’m giving it next year. If we’re still like this and this time next year people are still trying to say “the tide will turn” - like by some miracle the absolutely diabolical leaders of our team will change their ways - might be time for rugby or soccer full time with a passing interest in this.

Unless you started these other sports at 5 years of age, I find that nothing fills the gap

Serious? Playing for us or the Opposition? Or a bit of both?
He did do a job this year.
I doubt he’ll get much game time in 2025.
No disrespect to the big fella but if he’s playing more than 10 games again next year, we’re still bottom 2.

I would give the captaincy to X. The current 2 are frauds. When we were struggling in the first half of the year, who was putting in and winning his position, regardless of who he came up against? X. Make a statement. We need winners to lead this club.

X leads by example and looks to be a real leader of men

"I think North Melbourne supporters have had enough of these primary school errors that continue to happen at the North Melbourne football club. On, off. Recruiting, development.
"It's time this changes. Can't be too accepting of this stuff. Oh yeah we're building and we're developing. Enough of that. Time to step into the next weight range and get serious about winning these games.
" I thought they'd win 6-7 games.Too accepting of being this team down the bottom. Really disappointing and the Kangaroos fans have had enough of this"
He’s exactly right. But the heirarchy at NM won’t buy it. They’ve convinced each other that we’re on the right track and it’s simply a matter of time before it magically turns.
Just gotta keep pumping games into the kids. Keep hitting the draft. And presto - FINALS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He did do a job this year.
I doubt he’ll get much game time in 2025.
No disrespect to the big fella but if he’s playing more than 10 games again next year, we’re still bottom 2.

Yes but I’m still getting over that dreadful kick so he’s not in the good books here

We are two floggings from the end of the year.

Then all we will get is puff pieces on how good we will be.

then when the real stuff starts we will again see marginal improvement as swtahes of the team we are looking at to take us forward are only going to be 20 years old.

If King wanted to really do something about it he should have put his hand up for the board seat midway through the year.

So now we are nitpicking the games we've won to take away from the fact in those games we've won the contests required to win?

The Eagles first encounter wasn't won from a free kick btw. We kicked another goal and gave them the middle finger.

The GC game is literally like any other game where it's a close one. Neither team had the edge. We controlled the last few clearances and won with the ball in hand. How many times have the Pies been lucky? They just lost a 5 goal lead against a cooked Sydney. Do they know how to win?

The Collingwood game comes with an asterisk. No 50 paid and two throws within a second of each other.

The Dees game also doesn't support the fact 'we don't know how to win'. Melbourne were utterly cooked and an extra 30 secs is a W on the board.

Carlton had to put TDK AND McKay back on to hold on. Look at them now. They are cooked. We broke them.

I don't buy the fact we are losers. Saturday was just completely diabolical but not what we've been showing. There were so many uncharacteristic errors that usually don't happen. If we accept losing then we would still be getting rolled by 60+ regardless of opponent. I'm furious at the loss but I'm not going to allow it to spoil how I feel about how much better we've been playing.

Just last week we were singing hearts to hearts with 2 mins to go. Did we not know how to win then? NMFC members wing was going nuts. A bad loss doesn't outweigh the positive inroads this team has made. Corr took a few big grabs in those dying minutes too. Was that due to luck?

**** off this negativity. There's so much to like about this team's progress and what it can achieve. I've seen plenty to suggest we can improve drastically.

We are two floggings from the end of the year.

Then all we will get is puff pieces on how good we will be.

then when the real stuff starts we will again see marginal improvement as swtahes of the team we are looking at to take us forward are only going to be 20 years old.

If King wanted to really do something about it he should have put his hand up for the board seat midway through the year.
If we see marginal improvement again, wont that be the difference in those close losses and ability to close out games?

So now we are nitpicking the games we've won to take away from the fact in those games we've won the contests required to win?

The Eagles first encounter wasn't won from a free kick btw. We kicked another goal and gave them the middle finger.

The GC game is literally like any other game where it's a close one. Neither team had the edge. We controlled the last few clearances and won with the ball in hand. How many times have the Pies been lucky? They just lost a 5 goal lead against a cooked Sydney. Do they know how to win?

The Collingwood game comes with an asterisk. No 50 paid and two throws within a second of each other.

The Dees game also doesn't support the fact 'we don't know how to win'. Melbourne were utterly cooked and an extra 30 secs is a W on the board.

Carlton had to put TDK AND McKay back on to hold on. Look at them now. They are cooked. We broke them.

I don't buy the fact we are losers. Saturday was just completely diabolical but not what we've been showing. There were so many uncharacteristic errors that usually don't happen. If we accept losing then we would still be getting rolled by 60+ regardless of opponent. I'm furious at the loss but I'm not going to allow it to spoil how I feel about how much better we've been playing.

Just last week we were singing hearts to hearts with 2 mins to go. Did we not know how to win then? NMFC members wing was going nuts. A bad loss doesn't outweigh the positive inroads this team has made. Corr took a few big grabs in those dying minutes too. Was that due to luck?

**** off this negativity. There's so much to like about this team's progress and what it can achieve. I've seen plenty to suggest we can improve drastically.
Im with you mate. Its a little OTT. The young fellas are cooked and we know most our senior players aren’t up to it. Its not a new phenomenon

Im with you mate. Its a little OTT. The young fellas are cooked and we know most our senior players aren’t up to it. Its not a new phenomenon
It's loser mentality to put all the microscope on the wins we've had discrediting how we got them on the board because of a bad loss.

I'm not accepting giving ourselves ammo for that stuff. No way.

I've been to all the games at Marvel and most of the replacement games the last few years. The majority were beltings to start with. The last 10 weeks have been some of the most exciting football we've played in a long time.

That is already a good start. I back us in to continue putting finals hopes out of reach for the remaining teams.

Last edited:
Just need to take care of the ball more. The game is like basketball now. It is about causing turnovers and fast transition.

People being critical of McKercher getting easy handball receives, but when he has the ball we keep possession. That is why we give to him. He is like a point guard moving us up the ground.

We need every player on the team to take care of the ball, and if they can’t, they need to be eased out. King, Brereton, etc have all pointed out that we are far too careless when we have the ball. Really need to work on that over the summer.

Just need to take care of the ball more. The game is like basketball now. It is about causing turnovers and fast transition.

People being critical of McKercher getting easy handball receives, but when he has the ball we keep possession. That is why we give to him. He is like a point guard moving us up the ground.

We need every player on the team to take care of the ball, and if they can’t, they need to be eased out. King, Brereton, etc have all pointed out that we are far too careless when we have the ball. Really need to work on that over the summer.
100%. So dont give it to lmac when he crabs or runs past someone shooting at goal. Or corr for that matter.

He gives his all and tries hard, but there is enough evidence over several years now whereby Jy is a big part of the mess we’re in and I don’t believe will be part of the solution to get us out of the rot.
This is what tbl said:

CB - Jy actually clears the circle with a kick off the ground. Powell is at chf, he is going g backwards. the eagles defender is coming forwards at a rate of knots, wins ball and kicks long.

I have no issue with JY. I have an issue with Powell, and the other forwards.

He's right too.

Every time this happens (and the Eagles were the ones to do it most effectively against us in perth and on the weekend) the other team just play off their man and run forward at every opportunity. Its a gamble but its a 70/30 gamble in their favour and they're behind anyway.

It was obvious in that last three minutes. None of the forwards went with their players when they just ran off in the hope the ball would sit for them. None of the forwards put any body on their opponents to hinder that run either. They just stood back and let it happen. It was like the Adelaide game where their defenders were running off our forwards all game and scoring at will.

In that last contest Powell just went to ground without a fight.

Powell, Curtis and Bailey Scott on the wing all let their man get goalside of them whereas all the mids held their position goalside, of their opponents. The forwards let us down then.

This is all on the head of whoever the forward coach is imo. There is no system for moving inside 50 and no system for defending and preventing the oppositions run when they try to score late in a game.

Last edited:

Quit the media Kingy and come back to our club

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy NM v West Coast - the great choke!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back