Autopsy NM v West Coast - the great choke!

Remove this Banner Ad

Truth. I will say we are doing that with a significantly younger team again than last year. I'm comfortable we are better now, obviously I'd like that to start translating to some serious wins.

There's contextualizing to provide perspective and then there's selectively cherry picking elements and missing the forest for the trees. When it comes to discussing intangibles like improvement everywhere but the win column, the line between the two is blurred and people start thinking more with their hearts than their heads.

If that happend from now, the loss to the Eagle would have been worth it. we roll out the same types against the Dogs, we will get walloped.
Hopefully we select one from the abundance we have just waiting in the VFL.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Hopefully we select one from the abundance we have just waiting in the VFL.

I'd give Lazz a crack as he is the only "abundance" we have in said position, hopefully we find another option at the drafts later this year.

Need one desperately or rotate a couple of HF's for the half of footy needed to cover. Just no stout fellows that 'waddle' their way to 80 metres gained.

I'd give Lazz a crack as he is the only "abundance" we have in said position, hopefully we find another option at the drafts later this year.

Need one desperately or rotate a couple of HF's for the half of footy needed to cover. Just no stout fellows that 'waddle' their way to 80 metres gained.
He probably makes the most sense as at least he can run. It's the other parts he struggles with.

Kingy was seething on First Crack. He's not buying the copium.
"I think North Melbourne supporters have had enough of these primary school errors that continue to happen at the North Melbourne football club. On, off. Recruiting, development.
"It's time this changes. Can't be too accepting of this stuff. Oh yeah we're building and we're developing. Enough of that. Time to step into the next weight range and get serious about winning these games.
" I thought they'd win 6-7 games.Too accepting of being this team down the bottom. Really disappointing and the Kangaroos fans have had enough of this"
There is no doubt we have underachieved this year - especially given the softness of the draw and the relative good injury run we have had.

A highly likely 3 and 20 season with a % in the mid 60's is putrid and no amount of lipstick put on it from the (diminishing number of) happy clappers who still lurk around here will change that.

Kingy has called it out and so he should.

There is no doubt we have underachieved this year - especially given the softness of the draw and the relative good injury run we have had.

A highly likely 3 and 20 season with a % in the mid 60's is putrid and no amount of lipstick put on it from the (diminishing number of) happy clappers who still lurk around here will change that.

Kingy has called it out and so he should.

If we hadda won the Freo, Pies game l'd give us a pass this year - 5 / 10.

But this season's gunna get a 1.5 / 2 from me ( lucky for the 2 )

Tough one. I had a feeling we might drop this one once Nick Reiwoldt said his sure thing was us winning two in a row.
Disappointing we couldn't find a way to shut the game down as Kingy highlighted, some panicked things from our boys in the last three minutes in particular. Plenty of chances on goal to bury the game as well.
They should learn a lot from the last three minutes. West Coast experienced guys really got them back in it in.

Been told they copped one of the all-time sprays, post-game.
So they ****ing should have.

As zoomba23 pointed out, how many of the same type of fade-outs do this group need to have before they learn what the **** they have to do.

For all the people keen to sugarcoat the defeats, I am reliably informed Clarko tore strips off the players afterwards.
They should’ve been made to row back across bass straight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that was a depressing but spot on read.

Took a break for awhile but I've gotta step in here with some negativity.

That was a shitful display and lays bare this team's most fundamental flaw. Namely, they don't know how to win.

Think back to all of our most recent wins. Let's go back to 2022, when things began falling apart (again) at a rate of knots.

2022 WC: barely scrape by a COVID-ravaged club fielding top up players. The door never quite closed on the possibility of a comeback

2022 Rich: lose a 5 goal lead, regain it thanks to some Goldy/Zurhaar brilliance, nearly lose it again but are saved by Jake Aarts having the football IQ of a cabbage

2023 WC: lose a 4-5 goal lead, CT hits the post from point blank with a shot that would've iced it, we get a dodgy ruck free kick, just hang on

2023 Frem: cough up a 20 point lead in a matter of minutes, saved by Sheezel and the siren

2023 GC: massively outplay GC, they somehow score three quick ones to keep themselves in with a sniff, we're saved at the crucial next centre bounce by TT, and Curtis ices it

2024 WC: lose a 5 goal lead again, get it back thanks to a shocking umpiring call, Curtis eventually ices it

2024 GC: massively outplay them, don't make it count on the scoreboard, GC somehow claw back, and we have to rely on an Ainsworth miss (from a relatively easy shot) to win

2024 Rich: massively outplay them, don't make it count on the scoreboard, rely on Richmond to miss shots in the final quarter, before Stephenson of all people steps up, and Scott ices the game

Anyone see a common theme there? I certainly ****ing do. No one knows what they need to do to win. We can play like the Harlem Globetrotters for the first three and a half quarters, but sure as eggs are eggs, we will absolutely fall apart in the final fifteen minutes of a fourth quarter if we have the lead.

By my count we have three players who play like they believe they can win every game. Their names are X, Arch and Sheezel. The rest of them are the losingest losers that ever lost.

All the top 5 draft picks in the world will not compensate for such a mammoth mental block. We as supporters have a right to be furious. We've had a gutful of this. We've tolerated more abject shit than some fans of other clubs will tolerate in a lifetime. 'Oh, but 1994 was worse.' Give me a break. Losing a prelim like that is gut-wrenching. However, it does not result in long-term despair as you come to terms with the fact that your club has forgotten how to do the only thing that matters in football. You cry your eyes out about it and look to the next optimism-filled season.

Losers. 40 players on our list are losers. They are comfortable as losers and they expect to be losers. They don't enjoy it, but they don't realise that they have the power to step up and become winners. Until that happens, all of your starry eyedness over shiny new toys and this bloke's form and that bloke's form won't mean jack shit
Pretty much nailed everything Zoomba. Anyone that thinks otherwise is either delusional or wearing rose coloured glasses due to connections at the club or maybe they’re family members of players.

The way you’ve precisely laid out in painful chronological order there the rare as hens’ teeth wins we’ve had over the last few years is awful reading. Our supporters will never feel safe with any lead at any time. Also, Clarko saying our loss on the weekend should provide the players with harsh lessons!!?? Give me a break!! If 12 wins in 4 years, countless thumpings, the Collingwood loss from 54 points up and being the continual butt of jokes across the competition hasn’t already been a harsh enough lesson then nothing will.

It’s been 20 years (other than Boomer) since we’ve had leaders with elite skills that stand up under heat. Ziebs I loved him but he was systemic of the malaise that has become part of our DNA. He could get the ball but his career was get ball, blind turn, hack ball under pressure. Who can forget that game against Essendon a couple of years ago, last quarter 3 OOB on the full. This is what our young stars have to look up to and it needs to change.

And Ziebs pretty much looked like Barishnokov compared to LMac and Simpkin. 8 min 30 seconds left in the third quarter against WC we’re 35 points up with the ball in our forward line. Way too easily we allow it out (another story) and they transition to their forward 50 where a brave act from Ford neutralises the ball and it’s back in our possession. Handball to LMac who then inexplicably, stupidly, ineptly under almost no pressure kicks the ball out on the full. This is the sh*t he’s been pulling his whole career! Next moment WC goal, momentum shifts, three quick goals follow to the Eagles and just like that, our fragile self belief is gone. Game over!
Who do I blame? I blame these ‘leaders’ but I also blame the club for putting these players in positions of leadership. LMac must be paid out at year’s end. Won’t happen though.

This loss clearly hurt so much more for so many of us than many others. Yeah I am furious and I have no issues in expressing that, something I could only express after I woke from my half an hour or so of speechless, numb devastation immediately post game and then two days on.

For me, and I’m sure for most supporters the anger comes from a place whereby if the club is honest it shows we’ve not come any further this year, after 5 years of unbearable football hell.

Last edited:
Watching score updates on the AFL app while interstate, looked ok with five minutes to go, checked again a few minutes later, could not believe it. But then again, I could also believe it.

View attachment 2077152
Think I said the same thing to someone re couldn’t believe it , but could. The power of Brad is still strong in players that he coached at our club. The losing unlosable is now been driven at the Bombers.

Think I said the same thing to someone re couldn’t believe it , but could. The power of Brad is still strong in players that he coached at our club. The losing unlosable is now been driven at the Bombers.
We can never relax and it's been a very long time since we have been able to relax at the footy o_O I personally haven't relaxed at the footy since round 16, 2001.

Ah well, let's see how they respond this week.

We can never relax and it's been a very long time since we have been able to relax at the footy o_O I personally haven't relaxed at the footy since round 16, 2001.

Ah well, let's see how they respond this week.
Hopefully 50 points up with a minute to play . I reckon we have got this lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy NM v West Coast - the great choke!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back