Autopsy NM v West Coast - the great choke!

Remove this Banner Ad

Two items (of many) that should be on the whiteboard for immediate attention, conceding red time goals, and smothers, are there stat's available for these ? Re. smothers, we always seem to be the recipients rather than the perpetrators, and red time goals we are probably league leaders.
Yes red time goals have been an issue for well over a decade now. Comes back to substandard fitness levels in my opinion, ie fatigue and decision making etc

Look how hard nosed and tough he has been on the players. Even though I was like Sam was carrying on, saying bring their mouth guards to training, like they're playing finals, he needs to relax, he's overrating his team, like come on mate lol

Oh how I was wrong. Whether Sam was fake it, until you make it, he made the players not to get to the finals, he made them believe they deserve to be there. They are oozing with confidence rn, all because they now believe the narrative being pushed by their coaches and staff. They must love abiding to the high standards of mental toughness that is the culture at the club.

Even them losing that game in the last few mins against GWS, Sam was furious because that is not the standards they have set. I didnt see it as a big deal, they got close to one of the best teams in the AFL? No, thats not good enough, we are the best

A lot of our players have coasted along and believe we ain't good enough. We don't believe we can win every game, and even though that seems unreachable for us ATM just refer to above.

The mindset needs to change at north, we need to be tougher mentally. Its between the ears, our list is chock full of talent. Happy to hear Clarko is fed up with our players not believing either đź’™

Mitchell is already showing an approach to coaching and the game that no other coach right now is doing. His premiership as coach is not a matter of 'IF' but 'WHEN' -- he has all the ruthlessness and acumen for the game to do so, and his list isn't too shabby either. Do I think Hokball wins them the premiership? No. But can they go far and completely disrupt the finals for other teams? Its possible.

And for that to occur in such a short space of time is entirely down to his approach as coach and changing the psychology of his players. They don't give a **** whether you hate them or not, they are ruthless, attacking, always pressing, always going forward, always trying to break the tackles and celebrate like it took zero effort.

People vastly underrate how a team carries themselves enters into the oppo teams heads very early in a game, and the physical side of the game (Which let's be honest, is not the biggest factor in a game full of athletes) solves itself, but becomes a bonus when you have a persistent offence that pressures teams to make mistakes and defences that leaves them scared when they know they are hunted.

The boys legit need to pick up and read The Art of War and The Book of Five Rings and read them both multiple times over.

"Everything can collapse. Houses, bodies, and enemies collapse when their rhythm becomes deranged.In large-scale strategy, when the enemy starts to collapse you must pursue him without letting the chance go. If you fail to take advantage of your enemies' collapse, they may recover -- Fix your eye on the enemy's collapse, and chase him, attacking so that you do not let him recover. You must do this. The chasing attack is with a strong spirit. You must utterly cut the enemy down so that he does not recover his position. You must understand how to utterly cut down the enemy.

Treat every game as a game of small to large-scale strategy, it is a type of war. Take it serious but don't appear serious. Be ruthless at all costs.

Us not being able to put away teams makes one thing clear; we have no killer edge. Zero.

We can never relax and it's been a very long time since we have been able to relax at the footy o_O I personally haven't relaxed at the footy since round 16, 2001.

Ah well, let's see how they respond this week.
To be fair I don't think any lead is safe anymore in AFL footy. Lots of teams coming back from 4-6 goals down.

I'm gonna go against the grain....

I can't help but love how we played for most of yesterday. I kind of even wanna watch the replay.

Why???

Because we dominated at times. I love hearing clarko was filthy and ripped them apart. But our leaders aren't up to it, but our youth is sensational.

There was an article out today "your team can't hold a lead? You're not alone!" So it makes sense the worst team of the last 3 years can't hold a lead.

David King is right to an EXTENT. But I think we went forward, not backwards yesterday. More so then if we won, because we drank our own bath water, and shit the bed. I reckon they'll learn for that and even breathe fire coming into the dogs game. Go roos!

Even though I was not much of a believer at the time we definitely played some pretty decent footy after the bye in 2021, it just gets glossed over these days with the benefit of hindsight because of how bad we were in 2022.

Our first 2 games last year were also pretty good and we looked to be on the right track, then nothing but pus for the next 20 weeks.

Maybe our floor has been raised from historically bad to regular bad (though the next two weeks may tell the tale), but for all the improvement fluff that people like to point out we are still sitting on 3 wins with a current % worse than what we ended up with last year.

With all due respect to those that will snidely make their passive-aggressive remarks and dismiss anything perceived as being negative, we've seen this story before and it means absolutely **** all until we actually get the runs on the board.

Our football has definitely improved. Even over the course of this year its noticeably better.

If anything the better football has exposed the mental fragility the side has tho.

Unless my arithmetic is failing me, vote numbers are the same with 15 apiece!
We had more players in the coaches votes. Twice as many to be precise.

That's an indictment on the side. How can you have more players in the coaches votes and lose?

Only by ****ing up.

We had more players in the coaches votes. Twice as many to be precise.

That's an indictment on the side. How can you have more players in the coaches votes and lose?

Only by ****ing up.
But the two they had in the votes were so dominant they matched the more even games from our good players apart from X. North was the better team for more of the game - if our forward entries were more effective it wouldn’t have down to panicking in the last two minutes. I agree it should have been a win but that’s about more duck ups than the ones at the end.

Mitchell is already showing an approach to coaching and the game that no other coach right now is doing. His premiership as coach is not a matter of 'IF' but 'WHEN' -- he has all the ruthlessness and acumen for the game to do so, and his list isn't too shabby either. Do I think Hokball wins them the premiership? No. But can they go far and completely disrupt the finals for other teams? Its possible.

And for that to occur in such a short space of time is entirely down to his approach as coach and changing the psychology of his players. They don't give a **** whether you hate them or not, they are ruthless, attacking, always pressing, always going forward, always trying to break the tackles and celebrate like it took zero effort.

People vastly underrate how a team carries themselves enters into the oppo teams heads very early in a game, and the physical side of the game (Which let's be honest, is not the biggest factor in a game full of athletes) solves itself, but becomes a bonus when you have a persistent offence that pressures teams to make mistakes and defences that leaves them scared when they know they are hunted.

The boys legit need to pick up and read The Art of War and The Book of Five Rings and read them both multiple times over.

Treat every game as a game of small to large-scale strategy, it is a type of war. Take it serious but don't appear serious. Be ruthless at all costs.

Us not being able to put away teams makes one thing clear; we have no killer edge. Zero.
Its ironic but often if you act without the desire to win you're more likely to.

But the two they had in the votes were so dominant they matched the more even games from our good players apart from X. North was the better team for more of the game - if our forward entries were more effective it wouldn’t have down to panicking in the last two minutes. I agree it should have been a win but that’s about more duck ups than the ones at the end.
Only McGovern was dominant.

Allen was more ... lucky and made the most of his opportunities.

If Paulie had, he'd have had six votes and Allen might have got one.

Except you clearly set out to objectify instead of trying to express sarcasm.

Delist and trade half the team means a list of 22-23 players should be f***ed off.
I never said that.

All the below are out of contract and highly likely gone:

Greenwood - retire
Taylor - gone
Shiels - gone
Lazzaro - gone
Sellers - gone
Free - gone
Hansen Jr - gone (my opinion)

99% of this board would agree this group are finished up. I didn’t state anything ground breaking here.

Then I said to rookie Harvey and Drury who are out of contract.

The below 3 have deals for 2025 and are nowhere near the standard they should be due to ability, injury and form:
Nuyon - gone
CCJ - gone - please pay him out
Stephenson - rookie (can’t rely on him)
but may be worth persisting on a wing

As for the 2 captains, I have been very vocal that McDonald isn’t best 22 and Jy shouldn’t be playing midfield minutes at all.
If he’s willing to start at half forward for the benefit of the side next season, great.
If not then I would be more than happy to test what his value is worth on the open market.
Jy was crucially poor defensively at a stoppage in the last few minutes as TBL pointed out.
He gives his all and tries hard, but there is enough evidence over several years now whereby Jy is a big part of the mess we’re in and I don’t believe will be part of the solution to get us out of the rot.
Disagree. I stand by Jy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep the boys just need one game where they put a team away next year so they know they can do it.
We need to win a few by good margins . This in turn will mean the opposition will also lose belief they can come back at any stage like they do now.

All the members treated that with goodwill, but 15 wins in 5 years and he’s talking about winning flags?
Come on.

I don’t think anyone down at the club has any idea on the hard work needed to even just get to finals, let alone win a flag.

How many f***ing wake up calls does the group need?
Nothing is going to change until the list changes. Scottywiper or whoever said it is right in that we're paying for bad decisions

The makings are basically there, and you get tired of repeating yourself, but we just need a few small alterations to the list, a little more experience and a bit of confidence. The experience part is probably more relevant because I think the latter will be a natural progression

Just need to take care of the ball more. The game is like basketball now. It is about causing turnovers and fast transition.

People being critical of McKercher getting easy handball receives, but when he has the ball we keep possession. That is why we give to him. He is like a point guard moving us up the ground.

We need every player on the team to take care of the ball, and if they can’t, they need to be eased out. Gasometer has repeatedly over recent weeks pointed out that we are far too careless when we have the ball. Really need to work on that over the summer.

efa

…someone who rides a Bmx down an indoor staircase of an Apartment isn’t going to sit down and read Three Rings let alone Four

aint nobody got time for that GIF

Only McGovern was dominant.

Allen was more ... lucky and made the most of his opportunities.

If Paulie had, he'd have had six votes and Allen might have got one.
Yes, PC missed some sitters. Wish he’d stop over complicating things and trying to be too cute sometimes - nothing wrong with kicking a drop punt through the big sticks.

Just watched the replay of the last quarter. Some key errors cost us the game.
1. Kicking for goal, two crucial and relatively straight forward shots for goal by Larkey and Curtis both missed.
2. Hacking the ball out of the defensive half of the ground, most notably by Zurrharr and McDonald which enabled the ball to be kicked straight back into the eagles forward line
3.McDonald's dropped chest mark in the last minute
4. The amount of space given to Allen by Chom and other defenders, resulted in two last quarter goals including the winning goal.
Hopefully Chom learns from this, can't be too critical of someone learning his defensive craft. However it was a game we definitely should have won.
Your a brave man/woman.

Our football has definitely improved. Even over the course of this year its noticeably better.

If anything the better football has exposed the mental fragility the side has tho.

I would've thought the mental fragility was self-evident after all the times the team has gone to water over the years at the slightest hint of pressure. It's been clear for a long time that the biggest obstacle standing in this teams way are their mental demons.

I'll believe we have truly improved beyond just a better patch of form if we are still playing decently at the bye next season.

I would've thought the mental fragility was self-evident after all the times the team has gone to water over the years at the slightest hint of pressure. It's been clear for a long time that the biggest obstacle standing in this teams way are their mental demons.

I'll believe we have truly improved beyond just a better patch of form if we are still playing decently at the bye next season.
I think its been obvious to us on here, even since the Brad Scott days, but I dunno if its something that gets enough focus at the club and in general.

I reckon they'll learn for that and even breathe fire coming into the dogs game. Go roos!
Unfortuntely the Dogs will also breathe fire in that game, and their fire burns hotter than ours

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy NM v West Coast - the great choke!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back