No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

So Brisbane were one kick away from going back to back.
Next year they get back Kiddy Coleman and a couple others and add in potentially two more first round draft picks.
How many more premierships do they win? Easily favorites starting next year.

Brisbane won it from fifth! Imagine that! 😀

We knew this day would come but was fun while we were the only club to have done it

Brisbane under Fagan

4 times double chance = 0 flags
2 times no double chance = 1 flag

Can’t help thinking that the Dogs would have made a better fist of the GF than the Swans. But credit to the Swans they got there and we didn’t. Hope this burns the players over the off season and whatever was wrong this season is righted.
They were classic witches hats. Again.

I’d love to see what happens inside clubs in the lead up to some of these games.

I just don’t understand how they could come out so poorly when everything has fallen into place for them - two home finals and no travel, a week off and opposed to a side who did things the hard way. Bewildering.

Erm… we won from seventh…
I think he means the only club to win from outside the top 4 under the current system. Adelaide won from 5th in the 1990s but it was a different finals system back then.

Personally I like it. What's the point having a top eight playing finals (apart from extending the whole AFL circus and raising more revenue) if no side from outside the top 4 can ever win it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he means the only club to win from outside the top 4 under the current system. Adelaide won from 5th in the 1990s but it was a different finals system back then.

Personally I like it. What's the point having a top eight playing finals (apart from extending the whole AFL circus and raising more revenue) if no side from outside the top 4 can ever win it?
The Crows won in 1998 after finishing 5th.
They played Melbourne (4th) at the MCG and lost but got a double chance.
Played the Swans in Sydney and won.
Played us at the MCG and won.
Played North Melbourne at the MCG and won the flag.

We still remain the only team to win it under the McIntyre system without playing a home final.

I agree it's a good thing for a team in the bottom half of the 8 to win it. No team from 5-8 made the grand final under the current system from when it was first introduced in 2000 until we got there, which was a bit weird. It's now been done 4 times - us in 2016 (7th), GWS in 2019 (6th), us in 2021 (5th) and Brisbane (5th). 4 of 18 teams from 2016 onwards to get there feels roughly about right.

We still remain the only team to win it under the McIntyre system without playing a home final.

I agree it's a good thing for a team in the bottom half of the 8 to win it. No team from 5-8 made the grand final under the current system from when it was first introduced in 2000 until we got there, which was a bit weird. It's now been done 4 times - us in 2016 (7th), GWS in 2019 (6th), us in 2021 (5th) and Brisbane (5th). 4 of 18 teams from 2016 onwards to get there feels roughly about right.
4 of 32 teams?

I assume it was about Daniher retiring

I was hoping it was about BT retiring
BT couldn't spell subtlety let alone exercise any.

When Daniher kicked his late goal BT gushed over how many teammates got around him and said stuff like "I've never seen that before!!" On cue, his co-commentator (Brayshaw?) said "what do you think that's all about?" BT said "I wouldn't know ... but he looks like a man who is saying 'I've done it all' ". Or words to that effect. And then there were some more stumbling remarks and interjections before they got back to calling the game.

Amateurishly directed and clumsily acted.

Remember the days of classy, intelligent, understated commentators? Not sure we ever had them in footy - certainly not since the commercial networks got hold of that cash cow - but soccer used to have a few.

BT couldn't spell subtlety let alone exercise any.

When Daniher kicked his late goal BT gushed over how many teammates got around him and said stuff like "I've never seen that before!!" On cue, his co-commentator (Brayshaw?) said "what do you think that's all about?" BT said "I wouldn't know ... but he looks like a man who is saying 'I've done it all' ". Or words to that effect. And then there were some more stumbling remarks and interjections before they got back to calling the game.

Amateurishly directed and clumsily acted.

Remember the days of classy, intelligent, understated commentators? Not sure we ever had them in footy - certainly not since the commercial networks got hold of that cash cow - but soccer used to have a few.

Haha it was a pretty awful attempt.

I always enjoyed Dennis and Bruce. Don’t think we’ll ever see another Dennis Cometti. 7 thought they had found another one in Basil, presumably because he also had a big nose. Not sure what we did to deserve BT but it feels like we’re paying for some sort of crime.

Isn’t too many calls that I enjoy, maybe I’m the one who is expecting too much. I feel like the ones with Huddo, Buckley and Dunstall are so far above every other crew. I don’t mind Jason Bennett or Matt Hill for the simple fact that they know everyone’s name and just call the game as it is, letting the “special comments” have their time.

Screenshot_20240929_003019_Chrome.jpg

Lol 😅

I know Hawthorn improved and looked good but they're going to get worked out. No chance they get it all their way again and also have such a clean injury run with a piss easy draw.

Collingwood....

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back