Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Port fan had this to say today.

“Geelong for me are about the worst side in the 8.
If they didn’t have there normal easy draw they wouldn’t have even made it.
This will be our easiest game in the finals.”

1. Weren’t Cats a game off finishing 2nd and cemented their finish in top 4? You can’t do that if you aren’t somewhat decent.

2. Cats had the equal hardest ranked draw in 2023…then finished 12th.
Are you supposed to not change the draw every year based on ladder position? Did Port not receive a piss easy draw after finishing 11th in 2022 going into 2023 season? Seems hypocritical to complain.

3. If I was a Port supporter, I wouldn’t dare make any comments on any sort of Social Media until my team had raised up the Premiership Cup on Grand Final day. I could understand if you were a Hawks fan, an Eagles fan, hell even a Pies fan to have that confidence.

But a Port fan? Does he not remember the last time his team played in a Grand Final?

But anyway….
Geelong go into this final as a side that is rebuilding on the run, that no one expected to finish top 4 except Damo Barrett (lol) with barely any pundits having them in the 8 and some having them bottom 4 (**** you David King)
Geelong go in as major underdogs in the betting.

This is a game where Port
A) Are at Home
B) Finished top 2 and are expected to be playing in a Grand Final
C) Have been deathriding their coach that if they don’t win, he will be gone
D) Have been there abouts for about 5 years now
E) Have yet to play in even a Grand Final under Hinkley’s tenure.

ALL of the pressure is on Port to win
. If Cats lose it’ll be, “meh no one had them winning anyway”
But if Cats win, holy jeebus the media will go absolute firestorm on Ken, the Port players, on Kane Cornes, on Kochie, on anyone even remotely associated with the club.
Every radio station in SA will be hammered with excuses and complaining.

If Cats go into Adelaide and pull this off, it’ll be one of the most hilarious Finals wins ever.
The fallout will be massive. Can’t wait to shut the ferals up.

It's going to be fun listening to him on the commentary team next year 😑
I (unironically) think it will be.

What's great about Cornes is he's not there pretending to be all earnest about his opinions. Most footy pundits are just like Kane Cornes, except they all pretend they aren't.

Port fan had this to say today.

“Geelong for me are about the worst side in the 8.
If they didn’t have there normal easy draw they wouldn’t have even made it.
This will be our easiest game in the finals.”

1. Weren’t Cats a game off finishing 2nd and cemented their finish in top 4? You can’t do that if you aren’t somewhat decent.

2. Cats had the equal hardest ranked draw in 2023…then finished 12th.
Are you supposed to not change the draw every year based on ladder position? Did Port not receive a piss easy draw after finishing 11th in 2022 going into 2023 season? Seems hypocritical to complain.

3. If I was a Port supporter, I wouldn’t dare make any comments on any sort of Social Media until my team had raised up the Premiership Cup on Grand Final day. I could understand if you were a Hawks fan, an Eagles fan, hell even a Pies fan to have that confidence.

But a Port fan? Does he not remember the last time his team played in a Grand Final?

But anyway….
Geelong go into this final as a side that is rebuilding on the run, that no one expected to finish top 4 except Damo Barrett (lol) with barely any pundits having them in the 8 and some having them bottom 4 (**** you David King)
Geelong go in as major underdogs in the betting.

This is a game where Port
A) Are at Home
B) Finished top 2 and are expected to be playing in a Grand Final
C) Have been deathriding their coach that if they don’t win, he will be gone
D) Have been there abouts for about 5 years now
E) Have yet to play in even a Grand Final under Hinkley’s tenure.

ALL of the pressure is on Port to win
. If Cats lose it’ll be, “meh no one had them winning anyway”
But if Cats win, holy jeebus the media will go absolute firestorm on Ken, the Port players, on Kane Cornes, on Kochie, on anyone even remotely associated with the club.
Every radio station in SA will be hammered with excuses and complaining.

If Cats go into Adelaide and pull this off, it’ll be one of the most hilarious Finals wins ever.
The fallout will be massive. Can’t wait to shut the ferals up.
The best part is, the footy will do the talking.

Meanwhile, we fly under the radar :)

What's great about Cornes is he's not there pretending to be all earnest about his opinions. Most footy pundits are just like Kane Cornes, except they all pretend they aren't.

The AFL doesn't need a Tucker Carlson

The AFL doesn't need a Tucker Carlson
I don't see him as a Ticker Carlson type.

I think he has a legitimate role in upsetting the AFL media applecart a bit.

I don't think he's been fully embraced by the "boys club" of Vic-centric football media, which gives him a bit more freedom to speak his mind (or call others out)

Cornes is fine to listen to. Always good when on SEN and gives his opinion. Look at all the fake people who are involved in the media right now. We need more like Cornes

Another argument against the idea of having a wildcard round before finals....

The wildcard round is the carrot that will be given to the gambling industry if the feds go 100% with an ad ban. It's no coincidence the media hype escalated the positive vibes for it a few weeks ago when news of Labor's plan caused concern among many MPs.

If the 100% ad ban doesn't go through, just watch them back peddle, as the idea gets poo-pooed and put on the shelf.

Some interesting stats in this

"Surprisingly, the Cats – the 2022 premiers – have the second fewest number of players with finals experience, but Geelong does have six of the eight most experienced finals players overall."

"Tom Hawkins (32), Patrick Dangerfield (26), Mitch Duncan (26), Gary Rohan (26), Mark Blicavs (24) and Cam Guthrie (21) have all played more than 20 finals."

Some interesting stats in this

"Surprisingly, the Cats – the 2022 premiers – have the second fewest number of players with finals experience, but Geelong does have six of the eight most experienced finals players overall."

"Tom Hawkins (32), Patrick Dangerfield (26), Mitch Duncan (26), Gary Rohan (26), Mark Blicavs (24) and Cam Guthrie (21) have all played more than 20 finals."

Almost certainly 3 of those 6 won't be playing finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you listen to his sound bites than yes it's negative. Long form he is pretty good on SEN - many interesting discussions
Yeah I actually don't mind Korn. It doesn't mean I agree with everything he says but I have found a respect for him.

Lots of people in football get chummy with the media and avoid criticism as a result. Korn has his views and at this stage, isn't compromised in sharing them. For that, he has some respect from me.

The wildcard round is the carrot that will be given to the gambling industry if the feds go 100% with an ad ban. It's no coincidence the media hype escalated the positive vibes for it a few weeks ago when news of Labor's plan caused concern among many MPs.

If the 100% ad ban doesn't go through, just watch them back peddle, as the idea gets poo-pooed and put on the shelf.
Thus sounds plausible :(

SRP board and all, but Christ the government shit me. Going 100% on the ban is the most obvious thing to do and instead they're being half-assed about it

Thus sounds plausible :(

SRP board and all, but Christ the government shit me. Going 100% on the ban is the most obvious thing to do and instead they're being half-assed about it

All a wildcard round does in a footy sense is cement the top 6, as teams 7-10 have to play another game, risk injuries and get no break. The Dogs would never have won in 2016 with it in place. It's purely for TV and the gambling industry.

All a wildcard round does in a footy sense is cement the top 6, as teams 7-10 have to play another game, risk injuries and get no break. The Dogs would never have won in 2016 with it in place. It's purely for TV and the gambling industry.
Excellent points - hadn't considered those.

Wildcard round is a stupider idea than the pre -finals bye and that's really stupid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back