Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice to see Sam Docherty back for the Blues and also that him and his wife are expecting their second child.

Port fan had this to say today.

“Geelong for me are about the worst side in the 8.
If they didn’t have there normal easy draw they wouldn’t have even made it.
This will be our easiest game in the finals.”

1. Weren’t Cats a game off finishing 2nd and cemented their finish in top 4? You can’t do that if you aren’t somewhat decent.

2. Cats had the equal hardest ranked draw in 2023…then finished 12th.
Are you supposed to not change the draw every year based on ladder position? Did Port not receive a piss easy draw after finishing 11th in 2022 going into 2023 season? Seems hypocritical to complain.

3. If I was a Port supporter, I wouldn’t dare make any comments on any sort of Social Media until my team had raised up the Premiership Cup on Grand Final day. I could understand if you were a Hawks fan, an Eagles fan, hell even a Pies fan to have that confidence.

But a Port fan? Does he not remember the last time his team played in a Grand Final?

But anyway….
Geelong go into this final as a side that is rebuilding on the run, that no one expected to finish top 4 except Damo Barrett (lol) with barely any pundits having them in the 8 and some having them bottom 4 (**** you David King)
Geelong go in as major underdogs in the betting.

This is a game where Port
A) Are at Home
B) Finished top 2 and are expected to be playing in a Grand Final
C) Have been deathriding their coach that if they don’t win, he will be gone
D) Have been there abouts for about 5 years now
E) Have yet to play in even a Grand Final under Hinkley’s tenure.

ALL of the pressure is on Port to win
. If Cats lose it’ll be, “meh no one had them winning anyway”
But if Cats win, holy jeebus the media will go absolute firestorm on Ken, the Port players, on Kane Cornes, on Kochie, on anyone even remotely associated with the club.
Every radio station in SA will be hammered with excuses and complaining.

If Cats go into Adelaide and pull this off, it’ll be one of the most hilarious Finals wins ever.
The fallout will be massive. Can’t wait to shut the ferals up.
It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Cats win this when we have this guy, that laughs with danger after a loss while Port fans are furious.
Hinkley has such a loser mentality.
1691238090520.png

Garry Lyon and his premiership window. Won the flag 19 of the last 19 years. Top 6 in both defense and attack. If you’re not in that window you don’t win the cup.
Currently pre finals only Dogs, Brisbane and hawthorn are in the window. All 5-8 teams….
I have swans in a GF , yet I think Brisbane are the best team, but from 5th will be a tough journey to even make the GF.
Interesting season. Up for grabs!
Saw this graph
But for two poor quarters in our losses to GC & Carlton we'd be in that category too

What's the MCG rule during finals looking like these days?

I have a Carlton fan telling me there's a chance (if Carlton win this week) that their semi final will be moved to the G. This happened to Brisbane in early 2000's.

What's the MCG rule during finals looking like these days?

I have a Carlton fan telling me there's a chance (if Carlton win this week) that their semi final will be moved to the G. This happened to Brisbane in early 2000's.
No way in hell is Sydney vs Carlton or GWS vs Carlton being moved to the MCG

Pretty sure the rule that made that Bris game happen no longer exists

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way in hell is Sydney vs Carlton or GWS vs Carlton being moved to the MCG

Pretty sure the rule that made that Bris game happen no longer exists

That's what I thought (the rule change).

I'm sure somebody in here posted something about how many games the G needs to hold though not long ago?

Think the G only has to have one a week. So depending on the winner of our game, there will be no game in Melbourne week 2 or week 3. All that happens now though is the G gets extra H&A games to make it up next year, they don't force an interstate team to play a home final in Melbourne anymore and tbh I reckon our prelim against the Lions in 2004 was the last one they did so anyone that thinks that still applies is 20 years behind the times.

I have a Carlton fan telling me there's a chance (if Carlton win this week) th
Spit Take Lol GIF by Justin

That's what I thought (the rule change).

I'm sure somebody in here posted something about how many games the G needs to hold though not long ago?

This is what I posted in response to the false notion of our QF being shifted to the MCG even if we were the away team:

Source 1:
“The AFL has gone into the contracts and it shows that if there’s only one final in Victoria in weeks one, two and three, it has to be played at the MCG,” Mitch Cleary said on Talking Footy.

“So right now even if Geelong finish second and host a home qualifying final, that has to be played at the MCG if there’s no other final.”

Source 2:
The contract the AFL has with the MCG stipulates that if there's only one final in Victoria in weeks one, two and three, it must be played at the MCG. Victorian preliminary finals must also be played at the MCG with a contract to 2059 for an MCG Grand Final.

The rule you are referencing is a now outdated rule regarding the hosting venues for the finals, which came to a head in 2004 when Brisbane "hosted" Geelong in the prelim at the MCG

Through to 2004, the MCG was entitled to host at least one match in each week of the finals - in 2005 that agreement was changed, and as per those changes:

- Under the current contract, ten finals (excluding the Grand Final) must be played at the MCG over a five-year period

Last year the MCG hosted 5 finals across the first 3 weeks, and they hosted 5 games across the first 3 weeks in 2022 - so no, an interstate team won't be forced to host a final at the MCG in week one of the finals, or week 2 or week 3

---

Add in that the MCG is hosting a final this week and they're clearly ahead of the 10 finals in 5 years rule

Think the G only has to have one a week. So depending on the winner of our game, there will be no game in Melbourne week 2 or week 3. All that happens now though is the G gets extra H&A games to make it up next year, they don't force an interstate team to play a home final in Melbourne anymore and tbh I reckon our prelim against the Lions in 2004 was the last one they did so anyone that thinks that still applies is 20 years behind the times.

Just another delulu Carlton supporter

Note to future CatToTheFuture - don't talk s* with catempire
CE isn't the pettiest poster around here, but goodness I love when he delves into that part of his kit bag :tearsofjoy:

CE isn't the pettiest poster around here, but goodness I love when he delves into that part of his kit bag :tearsofjoy:
Isn’t?? Well I just need to try harder!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back