Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Keep seeing Petracca to Pies but just don't see how it gets done without them giving up a very good player to get the picks they need.

Amazed the media hasn't started a Petracca to Essendon rumour since he ticks a lot of their boxes. They have the picks to get it done, they could throw Wright into a trade since Melbourne desperately need a key forward, they have a massive supporter base, they are guaranteed big games i.e Anzac Day, Dreamtime match, big crowds against teams like Pies/Tigers/Blues/Geelong/Hawks.
I am actually keen to see if they're is anything at all to the media speculation he might take Melbourne to court to get his playing contract thrown out on unsafe work conditions.

A wild concept but in legal terms I imagine not actually that far fetched. Just timing of it because a case would take ages. It's more the threat of it

I am actually keen to see if they're is anything at all to the media speculation he might take Melbourne to court to get his playing contract thrown out on unsafe work conditions.

A wild concept but in legal terms I imagine not actually that far fetched. Just timing of it because a case would take ages. It's more the threat of it
But why on earth did he decide to play on when in great pain and knowing his organs had received a severe blow?

With the announcement of AA team last night and all the outrage about where players should be lined up, my unpopular opinion is that Dā€™Ambrosio has to be one of the most overrated players going around right now just because he plays wing. Gulden well and truly deserves his wing position because you can make a legitimate claim he is as good as the best midfielders in the competition, whilst Dā€™Ambrosio would barely crack the top 40 best midfielders in the competition.

A 20-dispoal player, with minimal scoreboard impact, average meters gained, low i50s shouldn't make the AA team just because he plays wing. Playing wing shouldn't be a free ticket to a jumper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well it's a good question but also probably one that doesn't fall on an employee in a court case. If he had died I doubt the coroner accepts it was his decision alone
It may have been his decision alone, and I doubt if his employer ordered him to return to the field against his will, but the argument would centre around whether the clubā€™s employees should have stepped in to forcibly prevent him from returning if that is what he wanted to do.

One for the trade/draft nuffsā€¦

A factor that could become important in freodockers pursuit of Bolton, Baker, Pickett (& potentially Chad Warner next year):

Clubs must use at least 2 1st round picks in 4 yrs.

But - exemptions are allowed if a recruiting target is of a certain age and experience, as determined by the AFL.

This would mean that someone like Kozzy, only 23 years old, may be seen as the equivalent of using a first round pick.

It would also mean trading in Luke Jackson two years ago would potentially count as using a 1st.

The 2-in-4 rule was essentially brought in to protect clubs from themselves - sending out high picks for older talent, leaving themselves in a future hole. Trading for high end young talent isnā€™t that.

This is all to say Fremantle might not run out of first round picks to trade, particularly with extended future pick trading coming in next year.

It may have been his decision alone, and I doubt if his employer ordered him to return to the field against his will, but the argument would centre around whether the clubā€™s employees should have stepped in to forcibly prevent him from returning if that is what he wanted to do.
I'm no lawyer but I reckon the employer will still have a duty of care regardless

I'm no lawyer but I reckon the employer will still have a duty of care regardless
I agree. But there is the potential to argue that Petracca contributed to it. This wouldnā€™t absolve the club of negligence but might reduce liability from 100%. It wonā€™t reach court proceedings as it will be settled one way or the other.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back