Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

OMG... NO ONE SAW THIS COMING

Dustin Martin has met Gold Coast coach Damien Hardwick in the post-season, intensifying speculation one of the game’s greats is set to join the Suns for the 2025 season.

Martin, 33, would become a Suns player as a free agent.

The shock development that Martin is leaning towards continuing his AFL career has grown substance in recent days.

Suns chief executive Mark Evans confirmed the club and Martin had been in contact.

“Dustin has reached out to the club but that’s as far as it goes at this point in time,’’ Evans said.

😂 😂 😂

Dustin Martin has met Gold Coast coach Damien Hardwick in the post-season, intensifying speculation one of the game’s greats is set to join the Suns for the 2025 season.

The shock development that Martin is leaning towards continuing his AFL career has grown substance in recent days.

Suns chief executive Mark Evans confirmed the club and Martin had been in contact.

“Dustin has reached out to the club but that’s as far as it goes at this point in time,’’ Evans said.

😂 😂 😂

So didn’t give the Tigers an opportunity to receive trade compo?

They were sitting outside the eight by round 19 and thanks to teams around them not making the most of their opportunity, found themselves back in the four by round 22.
At round 19 Carlton was second and Essendon and Melbourne were still in the eight. 🤷‍♂️

If anything it strengthens my point. Port finished the season strongly and their performance in the QF was out of character in the context of a longer and more indicative form line.

So didn’t give the Tigers an opportunity to receive trade compo?

Not sure he'd net them much in terms of FA compensation - he's 33, likely the contract would only be for 1 or 2 seasons on retirement money, it likely doesn't net much in terms of a return for them

😂 😂 😂

Surely the only surprising part of this is the way they're apparently going to spin it for the media and footy public. I felt certain the messaging was going to be all about how Dimma just made a call to Martin 'on the off chance' and was shocked to find that Dusty was rediscovering his passion for football after a whole month out of the game.

Seems bizarre that they would throw Martin under the bus now as the one who initiated the contact. Given you're making stuff up as you go along, anyway, why not do that in a way that paints everyone in the best possible light?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

😂

I took a screenshot as I fully expect this will be deleted in due course

So earlier today Richmond fans were hanging shit on Barrett for writing the following as part of today's "Sliding Doors" piece - maybe Damien knew just a bit more than then... Plus, it's less then 5hrs later people are now hanging shit on them for their naivety

Did Richmond fans seriously have their head in the heads in the sand or something as this was an obvious move from halfway through the season

1726201752830.png

Lol the Richmond board have already turned on Dusty and Dimma. A lot of “tarnished reputation Dusty” and “stuff Dimma” going on. Hilarious
Personally, there's not enough time left in all eternity for me to spend even a minute checking out what's going down on the Richmond board.

Having said that, accusations that Martin and Hardwick have treated the club poorly seem absolutely bang on to me. Seriously pathetic and cowardly efforts from both of them, when it came to being open and honest with their former football club.

Lol the Richmond board have already turned on Dusty and Dimma. A lot of “tarnished reputation Dusty” and “stuff Dimma” going on. Hilarious

Win the wooden spoon, told Dusty is retiring, a heap of players jumping ship, now Dusty coming out of retirement to play for Gold Coast. 😂😂

The old Richmond are back lol

Personally, there's not enough time left in all eternity for me to spend even a minute checking out what's going down on the Richmond board.

Having said that, accusations that Martin and Hardwick have treated the club poorly seem absolutely bang on to me. Seriously pathetic and cowardly efforts from both of them, when it came to being open and honest with their former football club.

Well Dimma is a cheater (among other things) which is the epitomy of cowardice.

What did you expect?

Well Dimma is a cheater (among other things) which is the epitomy of cowardice.

What did you expect?
Didn't expect better at all. Just pointing out that it's hardly hysteria on behalf of the Tigs faithful to be posting about the extremely questionable character on display from Dimma and Dusty when the going got (a little) tough for them.

While I'm not surprised about Dusty, I do find it incredibly dishonest to tell the world you're retiring for good, then get a big farewell, and then sneak off to another club to discuss playing for them. But Dusty always has been a dodgy bloke.

While I'm not surprised about Dusty, I do find it incredibly dishonest to tell the world you're retiring for good, then get a big farewell, and then sneak off to another club to discuss playing for them. But Dusty always has been a dodgy bloke.
Absolutely agree. And just so weird when we're constantly told about how he doesn't like the limelight and would prefer to have no fuss ever made about anything.

Gets the Tigers to stump up for all the retirement fanfare, yet all the while he's clearly holding a strong intention to ultimately slink away and play for another club.

Monumentally talented footballer. Supremely ordinary bloke.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back