Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Were there not photos taken by the media like they do with Geelong?

One of the debates online is what defines a private event, who organised & paid for the event, who was invited etc

Seems 50/50 between:
  • it was a club event, which means it may then be considered as a work event
  • it's nothing to do with the club as just some mates who play for the same team that organised the day; no coaches, club staff etc and in turn that means it's nothing to do with the club and as such, what happens between footy mates should stay between footy mates & everyone else should butt out as it's its own type of thing

What I found surprising about the above suggestion (especially the second one) is that we know from past Geelong Wacky Wednesdays, that there's more from the club in attendance than just the players - or at least to start the day. I'm not sure Scott necessarily stays all day but we've seen him in attendance in the past, Sam Moorfoot has been a regular attendee, we've seen photos with random staff members in the background etc. Does that mean our WW is an official club function to an extent, but if they kicked the non-players out, it becomes a private function?

Maybe all these events, if held in a public venue (even if held in a private room) should be official club functions, more of an open media policy to start this day (like we see with Geelong) and some basic common sense being shown

I think the bigger issue is that the players themselves didn’t step back and re thought their costume choices …but that’s young men for you look at Prince Harry all those years ago

Young men are dumb as **** and I was no different
Yeah I would have been a complete liability in an afl environment at 19 years old. But you expect strong leadership from clubs.

I don't think the 'too much money' issue is much of a factor at all in the presenting behaviour. Young guys are generally very quick to act and much, much slower to think.

But the money (and fame) does make a big difference to the probability of their behaviour finding its way into the public square. That's something else they definitely didn't think through before embarking on these escapades.
I think it’s a big factor, because working as a lowly minimum wage serf is good for the character. Taught me a lot about empathy for others

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back