Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

My initial reaction, too, but looking at the run on home for ourselves and teams vying for that bottom part of the 8, it is possible we slip into the 8. While we'll likely get beaten by Essendon and Collingwood at the 'G, our run home is otherwise as soft as you could want it. We should reasonable expect to win our remaining four home games, as none of the sides we're playing there are in the top 8. We should also expect to beat North in Tassie and at least be a good shot against the Saints at Marvel.

If we lose most of those games, then something has really gone wrong. Regardless, it's going to give us a bit of a chance to appraise where we are. Obviously we're not up to the level of Sydney and Carlton but if we're struggling against the Hawks and Crows at home, and North anywhere, then that's really indicative that we are bottom four standard. If we've fallen that far, I'd rather we don't slip into finals, largely coming form our early season form, so we can travel interstate and get massacred by 100 points.
Surely at some point our selectors and midfield coaches sort their shit out and our midfield stops being the worst in the comp, right?

Fix the midfield and a whole lot of forward and defensive issues vanish.

So May deliberately executes a staging action that cuts to the very core of the concussion issue......it mocks both the seriousness of the issue and its governance, and worse still, it belittles those genuinely concussed.....and all the AFL does is fine him a paltry $1250??!

That's like slapping him with a duck's feather.

Fair dinkum.

So May deliberately executes a staging action that cuts to the very core of the concussion issue......it mocks both the seriousness of the issue and its governance, and worse still, it belittles those genuinely concussed.....and all the AFL does is fine him a paltry $1250??!

That's like slapping him with a duck's feather.

Fair dinkum.
more like a Sat nights bar tab

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It makes me wonder if the Cats did a bit of sneaky spruiking of Sav before he was traded. Maybe all that talk about how they wanted him to stay because they could see him having a big future at Geelong was a ploy to drive up the big man's market value and make all the media hacks talk Sav up as the next Sos. Just a little conspiracy theory I'm cooking up.

Sounds easy. Why didn’t anyone else think of that?
Well at the moment it would seem the coaches and selection committee have tried nothing and are all out of ideas. They could at least give an opportunity to some of the guys performing in the VFL side, or try to rotate some different names through there.

Sure, they might also be no good, but the midfield really can't fare much worse than what it has the last six weeks. Also, if we're gonna persist with a guy like Mullin, we really can't be too frightened about the detriments of inexperience.

Sounds easy. Why didn’t anyone else think of that?
Well statistically we are the second worst midfield in the competition and we keep trotting out the same players in the same style and for 8 weeks keep getting the same results.

If only we had players in a secondary competition we could try in those positions to attempt something different to fix the issue...

Guess we will never know.

It makes me wonder if the Cats did a bit of sneaky spruiking of Sav before he was traded. Maybe all that talk about how they wanted him to stay because they could see him having a big future at Geelong was a ploy to drive up the big man's market value and make all the media hacks talk Sav up as the next Sos. Just a little conspiracy theory I'm cooking up.
Not sure this is a conspiracy... I think it makes alot of sense and probably happens alot.

My initial reaction, too, but looking at the run on home for ourselves and teams vying for that bottom part of the 8, it is possible we slip into the 8. While we'll likely get beaten by Essendon and Collingwood at the 'G, our run home is otherwise as soft as you could want it. We should reasonable expect to win our remaining four home games, as none of the sides we're playing there are in the top 8. We should also expect to beat North in Tassie and at least be a good shot against the Saints at Marvel.

If we lose most of those games, then something has really gone wrong. Regardless, it's going to give us a bit of a chance to appraise where we are. Obviously we're not up to the level of Sydney and Carlton but if we're struggling against the Hawks and Crows at home, and North anywhere, then that's really indicative that we are bottom four standard. If we've fallen that far, I'd rather we don't slip into finals, largely coming form our early season form, so we can travel interstate and get massacred by 100 points.

I don't really care if we make finals or not from here as we are not winning the flag. I think people's perceptions are a bit whacked though because we have gone WWWWWLLLLLL. If we had gone WLWLWLWL people would not be as crazy. The reality of the situation is most of it is fixture related. The Port and GWS losses at home hurt and the nature of the GC loss was bad but wasn't an unexpected L to me at least. Last two matches we have lost to the two best teams in the comp. The next two weeks against Essendon and Hawthorn will tell the real story about our finals chances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back