Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

It's fake. I think you should do one.

My model:

Zoolander Blue Steel GIF

The most priceless thing about Morris was the look on Fagan's face when he started taking speccies in the practice match.

It took the great man some time to believe that that wasn't just a fluke.

Funny thing about Morris is that he doesn't look much good until he gets near the ball.

He is the least intimidating footballer I've ever seen. Just outplays people for fun.

Wait until he's got a few pre seasons under his belt and grows a beard 😎

He is the least intimidating footballer I've ever seen. Just outplays people for fun.

Wait until he's got a few pre seasons under his belt and grows a beard 😎
Get the clearasil going first and then worry about the beard.

Has he finished school ? I don't want us dragging guys out of school.

Wow.

He's not that good anymore , has created issues within the club and is on well over a mill a year.

If it wasn't for the media how would anyone have picked that up so early.

I didn't realise it was in the realm of 1.2/1.3 a year. I assumed around 1. You'd be pretty upset being a Dees supporter. Bloke has taken the club and supporters for a massive ride.

Fascinating piece on Essendon from Joey on First Crack tonight. He looked at how today they "lengthened the field", by holding Stringer and particularly Wright as deep forward as possible, without getting zoned off on by their direct opponent.

I really love this style of play; it gives key forwards more space to either lead, or get a one on one aerial contest without the threat of a third man coming over the top. It also gives their half forwards and midfielders more room to weave their magic.

The flipside to that is that it reduces the density of your forward half, which generally will make it harder to lock the ball inside 50 if you don't get a goal, mark or throw-in, so you are more susceptible to being scored against on counterattack.

So it becomes a real balance between how much do we want to score vs how much do we want our key forwards involved in our team defence.

Without seeing behind-the-goals footage of all the games, I suspect a lot of teams are wrestling with this dilemma at the moment, including us. This could explain why we've seen such a spate of high scoring matches of late: 3 matches this round saw over 200 points scored after 3 last week.

Long may it continue as far as I'm concerned! Tho I suspect it won't; coaches seem to dislike conceding goals more than they like scoring them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't realise it was in the realm of 1.2/1.3 a year. I assumed around 1. You'd be pretty upset being a Dees supporter. Bloke has taken the club and supporters for a massive ride.
They knew all about him and he didn't hold a gun at their head.

They seriously believed in a 5 year dynasty with him as a pivotal player. Petracca and Gawn have always been the keys for them . With May and Lever fine until everyone worked out their achilles heel.

Fascinating piece on Essendon from Joey on First Crack tonight. He looked at how today they "lengthened the field", by holding Stringer and particularly Wright as deep forward as possible, without getting zoned off on by their direct opponent.

I really love this style of play; it gives key forwards more space to either lead, or get a one on one aerial contest without the threat of a third man coming over the top. It also gives their half forwards and midfielders more room to weave their magic.

The flipside to that is that it reduces the density of your forward half, which generally will make it harder to lock the ball inside 50 if you don't get a goal, mark or throw-in, so you are more susceptible to being scored against on counterattack.

So it becomes a real balance between how much do we want to score vs how much do we want our key forwards involved in our team defence.

Without seeing behind-the-goals footage of all the games, I suspect a lot of teams are wrestling with this dilemma at the moment, including us. This could explain why we've seen such a spate of high scoring matches of late: 3 matches this round saw over 200 points scored after 3 last week.

Long may it continue as far as I'm concerned! Tho I suspect it won't; coaches seem to dislike conceding goals more than they like scoring them.
Just on Essendon, saw graphic on First Crack including today’s game until the last game of the H&A season when they come up to Brisbane that they basically play nine consecutive games between Marvel and MCG and their last interstate game was against the Suns in Round 12. That’s crap. How in a national game when there’s 8 interstate teams do they get 11-12 games in a row without leaving Melbourne when every interstate team is on the road every second week sometimes back to back on the road and here the Melbourne clubs sook about the inequalities of the Academy’s. Why isn’t that raised? That’s garbage AFL always looking out for big Vic clubs just like giving Carlton the easiest draw of all 18 teams.

Just on Essendon, saw graphic on First Crack including today’s game until the last game of the H&A season when they come up to Brisbane that they basically play nine consecutive games between Marvel and MCG and their last interstate game was against the Suns in Round 12. That’s crap. How in a national game when there’s 8 interstate teams do they get 11-12 games in a row without leaving Melbourne when every interstate team is on the road every second week sometimes back to back on the road and here the Melbourne clubs sook about the inequalities of the Academy’s. Why isn’t that raised? That’s garbage AFL always looking out for big Vic clubs just like giving Carlton the easiest draw of all 18 teams.
Don't worry, Essendon will mess it up somehow.

I have a pretty simple solution.

All 10 Vic teams play all 8 “interstate” teams away.

That means we play all 10 Vic teams at home, plus 1 home game against 1 WA, SA and NSW team, plus the Suns at home.

Means we get 14 home games, play the Suns at their home, and 1 of the WA, SA and NSW teams at home.

Leaves 5 games to play in Melbourne/ Geelong (sorry to the Fitzroy side of the family).

An “interstate” team can not be sent to play the Bulldogs in Ballarat or Hawks/North in Tas.

So every Vic club plays 8 interstate games a season. And every non VIC club travels out of their home State 8 times.

It’s pretty freaking even for every team in the comp.

Apparently Oliver is on well over $1m a year.

Adelaide Crows keep getting extremely lucky while trying desperately throw themselves on landmine after landmine.

Petty first, I think they went after Oliver too in last trade period.

Give It To Me Want GIF by Dunkin’

This is kinda what we looked like we were doing against St Kilda, except instead of lengthening the field, we were widening it. Hence why there were so many goals. Seems to be a valid tactic against sides who like to clog things up.

I have a pretty simple solution.

All 10 Vic teams play all 8 “interstate” teams away.

That means we play all 10 Vic teams at home, plus 1 home game against 1 WA, SA and NSW team, plus the Suns at home.

Means we get 14 home games, play the Suns at their home, and 1 of the WA, SA and NSW teams at home.

Leaves 5 games to play in Melbourne/ Geelong (sorry to the Fitzroy side of the family).

An “interstate” team can not be sent to play the Bulldogs in Ballarat or Hawks/North in Tas.

So every Vic club plays 8 interstate games a season. And every non VIC club travels out of their home State 8 times.

It’s pretty freaking even for every team in the comp.

Yes. Very good idea but I think you may be forgetting something…

The AFL only cares about Money. 😕

Dangerfield gets off. Bit of a laughable call... The knee jerk reaction will be that the AFL plays favourites which is fair enough to a degree. But looking at some of David Zita's tweets tonight, to me it more underlines the importance of a player being able to intelligently and articulately put across their position. The way it reads is that he totally destroyed the AFL's lawyer tonight without really needing a lot of help from his own lawyer.

End of the day it's a good outcome for us... Geelong would have no chance against Essendon without him.

The problem I had with the suspension is there was no second motion or slinging motion. Yes, he pinned his arms which isn't great, but it was actually a hip-drop tackle which I'm certain we'll hear more about over the next few years given it's status in other football codes.

People will disagree with this but my view is the extent of the whiplash and force of head into turf was Walsh playing for a free.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back