Game Day North vs Hawks, 4:40pm, Sunday, Shepparton

Remove this Banner Ad

Good hit out for the boys as hoped. Not concerned at all with Waite's mistimed spoil, nor Dish's iced leg.

All good afaic. Building nicely for the Crows game.

Very happy with the depth we're building, particularly up front, in a league where some sides are crying out for goal kickers.

Well done by the boys, who were ably led by Spitta, Jack and Cunners in the guts.
Yeah, I thought the commentators' concern over Dish and the ice was weird. Go into any rooms after a game and 90% of the players are icing up, doesn't mean they're injured or unable to play next week.

i was up until about 1am today and watch about 30 so minutes of the game. wore my home jumper (wearing it while i write this).
timmy
ps did the blue lighten a little a little since 2006 (the home jumper i have) or was it the PAL (what i think it was broadcast in) to NTSC conversion (since you all use PAL and we here in the USA use NTSC).
The jumper style has changed but I haven't seen too many differences in the blue. I think it's more the fabric. Whatever it is, it's better than that pale blue shit they wore in the late 70's and 80's.

This is what the age bests efforts are post game......note again the highted are where it states match report !!

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-match-report/rioli-linchpin-for-hawks-20150308-13ykgl.html

Yep, more circle jerk over hawthorn even though they lost. And we hardly "ran over the top" of the hawks, from the 10 min mark of the second we were within a couple kicks off the lead.

I hope Brad points this BS out to the boys and the realize they've got a lot to prove to the footy community.

How does this relate to today's game? We didn't hit the lead until there was three minutes to go. Hardly a chance for us to put the 'cue in the rack'.

There were many on this thread convinced Hawthorn would win quite easily. I gather you didn't bother reading much of the thread. So with that being said.. my comments were to the point... considering it was all about the way Brad Scott had instructed to have the run n' handball game going without bombing it long if you bothered to notice. That's how you beat the Hawks. I actually watch the game unlike Ralphy who blows chunks in the first Q and hopes for the best that his pre-amble is good enough to suck in those who didn't bother. Form by both teams yesterday would easily beat most teams during the H & A season.

Reading Scott's praise for Patch sent shivers down my spine. In the side round one and carried for 3/4 of a season again?

I feel for Adams. He genuinely does most things right and is let down by that last 5%, whether that is due to the body or confidence I don't know. He gets to the right spots, does a nice give and go and is often on the end of a run into the forward 50. Still can't kick for crap 35-40 out though and it has always been a problem with him with the set shots.

I'm hoping that Brad sees it as a confidence issue as well, there is no way you'd be playing him ahead of Higgins and given we have Boomer running through the forward line as well I don't think we need another of that type.

Yeah, I thought the commentators' concern over Dish and the ice was weird. Go into any rooms after a game and 90% of the players are icing up, doesn't mean they're injured or unable to play next week.

Take their comments with a grain of salt esp BT who exaggerates the worst prognosis and then 15min later the same player he had ruled out for the season is back on the field running freely. o_O

The commentators seem to be carrying a vendetta / grudge against North if you didn't notice. Perhaps they fear our NMFC is set to go all the way and their insecurities of distasteful, negative BS is all they have to hold on to.

I feel for Adams. He genuinely does most things right and is let down by that last 5%, whether that is due to the body or confidence I don't know. He gets to the right spots, does a nice give and go and is often on the end of a run into the forward 50. Still can't kick for crap 35-40 out though and it has always been a problem with him with the set shots.

I'm hoping that Brad sees it as a confidence issue as well, there is no way you'd be playing him ahead of Higgins and given we have Boomer running through the forward line as well I don't think we need another of that type.

I must say I've been one of his biggest critics over the past 18 months, and maybe it's not entirely his own fault if it's confidence related. Scott should do what any good coach would do and send him to the VFL for a stint, ala Spud.

But I'm not sure that even at his best he makes the 22. Turner took his spot last year, Higgins is a must play, and Wood has to be given a run. Unfortunate, but it's professional sport and hard calls is just part of it.

I must say I've been one of his biggest critics over the past 18 months, and maybe it's not entirely his own fault if it's confidence related. Scott should do what any good coach would do and send him to the VFL for a stint, ala Spud.

But I'm not sure that even at his best he makes the 22. Turner took his spot last year, Higgins is a must play, and Wood has to be given a run. Unfortunate, but it's professional sport and hard calls is just part of it.

I agree with this. Patch has played some blistering 30+ touch games with heaps of run and hard tackling but we have seen far more shocking games of running without direction and missed tackles. With the side we have right now I just don't see him being able to trade on the hope anymore.

After watching the game again this morning with a bit more attention:
- a win is a win, beats losing.
- Ziebell's inside grunt work has been great the last two weeks.
- Sammy hasn't missed a beat from last year.
- Spud is still best 22.
- Tarrant was a lot better but Tippet will be picked ahead of him if it comes down to one or the other.
- Brown should play round 1.
- Mason Wood will be a genuine star and should play round 1 and beyond. Not necessarily as a KPF.
- Swallow was very good first up.
- Adams is now a depth player.
- Bastinac's last quarter was the best he has played in a while.
-Black is extremely rusty, doubt he will play round 1.
- I love Kayne Turner.

Even weirder when they crossed to Mooney for an injury update and he said Dish appears to have a hamstring issue yet the ice wasn't on his hamstring.

Take their comments with a grain of salt esp BT who exaggerates the worst prognosis and then 15min later the same player he had ruled out for the season is back on the field running freely. o_O

The commentators seem to be carrying a vendetta / grudge against North if you didn't notice. Perhaps they fear our NMFC is set to go all the way and their insecurities of distasteful, negative BS is all they have to hold on to.
I worked as a sports trainer for years. If a player didn't ice up after a game I presumed they hadn't moved off the bench

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So after a period of reflection time, my thoughts are as follows:

1: tarrant and tippet seemed to do well, with tarrant in particularly looking good offensively. Come round 1 I am not sure if we can play both. Tippet would be the better bet IMO.

2: on the backline, spud showed again he will be best 22 assuming he maintains his fitness.

3: Wright very good. Macmillan was good too.

4: wood looks to be infront of black. As such does his flexibility allow us to go with Petrie, Waite, brown (or maj) and wood? I think it does.

5: midfield tog was at least even, or maybe even in favour of hawks. Good sign to win without wells, nds, and Higgins

6: another preseason praccy match with no injuries makes us the real winner

Best thing out of that game was:

1. No injuries
2. We played poorly and still won
3. We know that duckers will still get free kicks, Adams little knee in the butt was a good solution to disuade that kind of tactic.

Note. How many of you heard from your Carlton mates about Waite's impending 12 week suspension ?

Jealous ******s.

Clumsy spoil. Free kick. 50 metres.

Move on.

Contact between North Melbourne’s Jarrad Waite and Hawthorn’s Ben Stratton from the second quarter of Saturday’s NAB Challenge match at Shepparton was assessed. Based on a medical report from the Hawthorn Football Club and the available video evidence, the panel said that the ball was kicked into the North Melbourne forward line and Stratton was cutting across the path of the leading Waite to intercept the ball and take a defensive mark. As the Hawthorn player prepared to contest the ball, Waite and Hawthorn’s Brian Lake were also approaching to contest the ball. Waite was legitimately entitled to contest the ball and sought to spoil the Hawthorn player. In his spoiling action, Waite made high contact to Stratton with the bicep area of his upper arm. It was the view of the panel the force used was below that required to constitute a reportable offence. No further action was taken.

Hawthorn fans complaining that the umps helped us all game. Amusing when they had by far and away the better of the calls.

North had the better of us half way through the 2nd ... Nothing changed after that.
Norths ability to break fast through the centre is where you guys have the wood on the us ... we looked very poor at stages.

Again, nice win ... reckon you'll be up there again this year!

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing yesterday's game confirmed for me - not that it needed confirming - is that Brian Lake or whatever he goes by these days is an absolute germ. No prizes for guessing why he's so lowly thought of around the league.

He is a scum of lowest proportions, a bully who will always go in for the cheap shot on the shortest bloke when the ball is out of play. His dirty chokehold on Petrie was barely the tip of the icing on this w***er.

North had the better of us half way through the 2nd ... Nothing changed after that.
Norths ability to break fast through the centre is where you guys have the wood on the us ... we looked very poor at stages.

Again, nice win ... reckon you'll be up there again this year!

You'd want to be careful using the Norf word on our board. Not a threat but it's not tolerated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Contact between North Melbourne’s Jarrad Waite and Hawthorn’s Ben Stratton from the second quarter of Saturday’s NAB Challenge match at Shepparton was assessed. Based on a medical report from the Hawthorn Football Club and the available video evidence, the panel said that the ball was kicked into the North Melbourne forward line and Stratton was cutting across the path of the leading Waite to intercept the ball and take a defensive mark. As the Hawthorn player prepared to contest the ball, Waite and Hawthorn’s Brian Lake were also approaching to contest the ball. Waite was legitimately entitled to contest the ball and sought to spoil the Hawthorn player. In his spoiling action, Waite made high contact to Stratton with the bicep area of his upper arm. It was the view of the panel the force used was below that required to constitute a reportable offence. No further action was taken.

Common sense is refreshing. Makes for a nice change and up your clacker Andy Maher.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day North vs Hawks, 4:40pm, Sunday, Shepparton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back