Our Lowest Draft Pick should be Pick 8

Remove this Banner Ad

CrowCro

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2010
Underdale
AFL Club
Adelaide
Guys , I have been thinking about all the trade talk etc.

I know everyone is talking trades this year but I dont tend to agree,. When you have a bad year as we are your players lose value and then you get little in return. The best year for us to trade would have been a good year where we had overachieved like 2009 as this inflates your players worth. All our players stock would be worth little in 2009 compared to last year except Danger, Mackay and the like. Compare what you would have got for Vince & Knights last year to say this year and Id say it would be significantly differnt. Clubs however will be sniffing around adelaide hoping to get a bargain.

I think the smart choice for us this year is to use our draft picks wisely. Given our tough run home and given most teams above us have at least three wins we are likely to finish bottom three unless there is an amazing turn around.

This means we would get pick six for 15th finish and pick 8 for 14th Finish. Last will go to Richmond:confused:. At pick 8 we should be able to pick a good mid to top us up with speed if you look at top 8 picks from last few years. Following that our next pick should be around 25-30. Given we may not win 5 games , Im not sure but we may get a priority pick in the second round which could mean two picks in the 25 + range. Again for a quality draft we should be able to secure some fair players here. Our focus needs to be speed to tweak our game and exceptional zippy speed at that.

I think the only trade bait we had may have been a few years ago such as VB who we may have been able to trade to Fremantle but now we dont have too much to give that wouldnt significantly weaken our side. Everyone will only be interested in Danger, Tippet, Mackay, Otten etc which we wont give thus I think the period will be quiet again.

Trading someone like Vince, Knights etc wont yield you anything better than they will offer so no point trading. I dont think their is any point trading unless there is definite win for your club.

We need quality mid-fielders with leg speed, and that's more likely to come from the draft than by trade.

Don't worry, we'll manage to win enough games when all is lost to put ourselves out of range of a class mid-fielder. ;)

We need quality mid-fielders with leg speed, and that's more likely to come from the draft than by trade.

Don't worry, we'll manage to win enough games when all is lost to put ourselves out of range of a class mid-fielder. ;)

My fingers are crossed, GC and everyone else wants KPPs before our first pick...

Just on this, I'd like to point out GC may very well trade away picks for personnel from other clubs - you never know who will actually end up with all these picks in the top 20, etc...

I think the only trade bait we had may have been a few years ago such as VB who we may have been able to trade to Fremantle but now we dont have too much to give that wouldnt significantly weaken our side. Everyone will only be interested in Danger, Tippet, Mackay, Otten etc which we wont give thus I think the period will be quiet again.

Trading someone like Vince, Knights etc wont yield you anything better than they will offer so no point trading. I dont think their is any point trading unless there is definite win for your club.

I dont think the afc would do it but we could trade Talia and Griffin to a Hwthorn who are lacking in these areas for possibly two picks in the 10-15 and 45-50 range.

He have such a tall list and could trade off some of our talls for picks to gain smalls. Cant think of anyone of Hawks list that we could trade for in return or that they'd be happy to part ways with.

Talia is a real trade option imo. Dont know why we recruited him. Richmond, Hawks and Gold Coast could all be interesting in a young KPP who was possibly the 2nd best KPP in last years draft.

I just think there is zero chance of trading a kid when he has only been on the list for a year. What's the point.
Exactly.

We should be more focused on getting rid of all the dead wood on our list. Burton and Edwards must be considering retirement, Hentschel is shot, Doughty, Stevens, Griffin and Jacky don't deserve to be on our list next year and Moran is becoming the new Hentschel (can never get on the park :().

8 would be equal with our Meesen pick right? and 1 lower than Angwin.....damn that hurts to say those names.

At the moment I can't see us moving up the draft order much unless we start pulling a lot more out.

Assuming that the ladder positions don't change - Richmond finish 16th, Adelaide 15th and Hawthorn 14th, then we'll have pick #6 not pick #8 and our 2nd selection would be #27.

Macca is probably right with his thinking about us winning some pointless games - but fortunately (or unfortunately depending on your perspective) we have a tough run home at the end of the season, making it increasingly unlikely that we'll fluke some wins.

The unknown at this stage is how many clubs will "earn" a PP. So far we're well on track to do so, as are Richmond. Hawthorn have 2 wins on the board, so they can only afford to win 2 more from their remaining next 14 games.

If we assume that all 3 clubs earn a PP, then our 3rd selection would be #30. If Hawthorn somehow manage to jag 5 wins, then it moves up to #29. If we somehow avoid a PP ourselves, which is very difficult to see at this stage, then our 3rd selection would be #45. It's almost inconceivable that Richmond could avoid a PP.

Our priority has to be midfielders, midfielders and more midfielders. We've stocked up on talls recently and we have an abundance of ruckmen, so there is no need to draft either. As has been frequently pointed out, most small forwards are actually failed midfielders - so I wouldn't rush out and draft someone specifically for this need (though trading for one is definitely an option).

The first priority is not actually speed. We need a centre clearance king, someone who can win the hard ball in the middle of the ground and get it clear to our runners like Cook and Mackay.

One or two hard in & under mids, then some fast outside mids. That would do me nicely.

surely we should be trying to trade with the GC for picks?
Not disagreeing with you, but who would you trade and what would you be expecting to gain in return?

After recent events, I would not be at all surprised to see Vince being shopped around. I suspect that the club are worried that he'll turn out to be an unfulfilled talent, succumbing to the party boy scene in preference to doing the hard work required of an elite AFL midfielder. Goodwin should be able to pull him back into line this time - but what happens next time? Goodwin will probably retire at the end of this year, if not then 2011 will definitely be his last hurrah. Will Vince be able to keep it all together without his mentor?

Reilly is probably the next cab off the rank, but his trade value is no longer what it used to be. He's probably worth a 3rd rounder at best - a 4th round selection is more likely. Is it worth our while, given that our 3rd selection is likely to be at the start of the 2nd round and we have a heap of rookies to upgrade?

We have an abundance of talls from the recent drafts, but most of them are too young to have any real value. I have no doubt that Griffin will be shopped around - but I'd be amazed if anyone offered us a pick lower than #80 for his services. He has no trade value at all. Sellar, maybe? Given his injuries this year, together with the improvement we've seen over the last 12 months, we'd probably be better off trading him to GWS a year later. Who else is there?

Note that GC have a heap of selections in the first round which they can trade. After that they only get 1 selection per round, the same as everyone else. We really don't have that many players who could justifiably demand a first round selection from them.

surely we should be trying to trade with the GC for picks?
You'd imagine we'll look into that....hopefully, but Clayton has come out and said they're keen to keep their high picks.

When that can get uncontracted players for nothing, they won't be handing those top ones away.

They've already commited to Swallow...he'll go at #3. Day and another tall are likely at 1 and 2, the Tiges are likely to go tall with ruck and KPP their weak points, I think we have a good chance at nabbing the 2nd best mid in the draft.

But I'd be interesting in finding another pick (or 2) in the first, whether we snatch a GC pick around the 9 or 13 mark, or if we get in on another team, (though you can't imagine many teams outside the top 4 will want to part with an early pick).

There are quite a few mid first round mids I'm keen on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think that we will win enough games to push our draft pick down to 10 or 12 and agree with others that our prime needs are elite midfielders plus pace.

I would be going all out trying to convince an elite midfielder such as Griffen to come here and I would be offering Bock as part of a package.

Otherwise, i would be loath to trade away our 1st round pick in this draft as i think that drafting supplemented by selective trading is the best way to build a good list (much as we appear to have done drafting in the last 4 years although we really wont know for a few years).

I agree for the most part with Bigman that our drafting/trading in the 1999-2006 period was the main cause of being left with a hole in that 25-30 age group and a very distorted playing list by 2006 - the result being that we had virtually no real tradeable players of value and hardly any elite youngsters coming through.

We wasted so many draft picks from 1996-2004 in our pursuit of that big CHF/Ruck which was the missing link to complement our super midfield in chasing a premiership.

I do , however, disagree with Bigman on the recruiting of Carey as i think that at the time it was the correct decision (and Richmond, then us actually traded pick 4 not pick 2 - it just happened that the AFL screwed us as usual after the trade period was over. I have no doubt that neither Richmond nor us would have used pick 2 as a trade had either club known what was going to happen - indeed Richmond even threatened to take legal action about it.)

Thanks to our drafting over the last 4 years, what we have now is a good list in the sense that we have heaps of young players meaning that we now can trade to supplement the list deficiencies and also get us through the next 3 compromised drafts.

Whether we can attract any elite or near elite midfielders to SA is another issue and one which Port Adelaide also have to grapple with.
Maybe Westpac could employ Griffen or someone similar for $2M to be their tour guide through the Westpac Centre :D

What's the bet we take someone like this guy.

From AFL website
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/94630/default.aspx

"Sam Day (Sturt/Prince Alfred College)
September 6, 1992, 195cm, 90kg
He's an AIS-AFL Academy graduate. He's a mobile, key position tall who can play in the ruck and played centre half-back in last year's championships. He has fantastic athletic qualities. His vertical leap, speed and agility are in the top echelon. He's also a multi-talented sports player, having played baseball at state level. Sam played all games in the championships last year, bar one, and is an elite basketballer as well."

A mobile athletic versatile key position tall, when what we really need is a quick midfleider.

We are like the anti Carlton, they take smalls when they are screamin for talls. We do the reverse. Surely we could arange a mutually beneficial trade with Carlton. Maybe Talia for Gibbs and our first draft pick. I see he's still out of contract at the end of the year.

Sam Day is basically a lock to Gold Coast from what I hear.

He would prefer to say in Adelaide or move to Melbourne, but is happy to move to Gold Coast if need be.

We would be very hard pressed to see him in Crows colors unfortunately (in a normal year I reckon he'd be a lock, since we'd have one of the top few picks).

On a side, he got BOG for the PAC firsts on the weekend.

Not disagreeing with you, but who would you trade and what would you be expecting to gain in return?
Note that GC have a heap of selections in the first round which they can trade. After that they only get 1 selection per round, the same as everyone else. We really don't have that many players who could justifiably demand a first round selection from them.

I like the idea of trading players to upgrade draft picks.

I think it's likely that, after upgrading rookies, we'll only have 4 picks in the draft. So say around 6, 27, 30 and 46. If we could trade a fringe or depth player to upgrade one of those 2nd round picks it might be preferable to a straight player-for-draft pick swap.

Thanks for the insights into Sam Day. I haven't followed the progress of potential draftees in any detail this year. My comment was someone "like" this guy, i.e. a versatile athletic tall.

What's the bet we take someone like this guy.

From AFL website
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/94630/default.aspx

"Sam Day (Sturt/Prince Alfred College)
September 6, 1992, 195cm, 90kg
He's an AIS-AFL Academy graduate. He's a mobile, key position tall who can play in the ruck and played centre half-back in last year's championships. He has fantastic athletic qualities. His vertical leap, speed and agility are in the top echelon. He's also a multi-talented sports player, having played baseball at state level. Sam played all games in the championships last year, bar one, and is an elite basketballer as well."

A mobile athletic versatile key position tall, when what we really need is a quick midfleider.

We are like the anti Carlton, they take smalls when they are screamin for talls. We do the reverse. Surely we could arange a mutually beneficial trade with Carlton. Maybe Talia for Gibbs and our first draft pick. I see he's still out of contract at the end of the year.

Doesn't cut it I'm afraid. Needed one more cm to be on our radar :p.

The thing is, our young KPP who we may look to use as trade bait haven't played enough footy for other clubs to give up what we would want for them. I think Craigy really needs to bite the bullet and play these guys more. This will give them valuable game time and a chance for them to show off their capabilities on the big stage, which in turn will hopefully increase their value for trade (or decrease :eek:), or start to show their potential and why we should hold on to them for our future success!

I raised the prospect of Day last year and spoke with the crows about it. Even at that stage they expected him to go to GC.
Make no mistake however, if he was available at our pick we should absolutely take him! He is a serious GUN. With Day at CHF and Davis at CHB we would be a seriously good team.
It would also allow us to trade away guys like McKernan (no real position) and Talia (not needed) for a midfielder.

I would be talking with GC right now about draft picks and perhaps offering a package of Talia & McKernan for an early pick. Perhaps they would take Talia and Vince for pick 4? That way we might get Day and a GUN midfielder within the first 8 picks of the draft.

Perhaps Johncock and McKernan would be attractive. If we could move on some of our 193 cm players for a ruckman as well that would be a good outcome.

I wonder if Essendon would bite at Thompson for C. Bock, Alwyn Davey and a 2nd round pick?

If it was me, I'd be putting everything out there and seeing what they (GC) will bite at. Remember that as a new club they will need some older more experienced and stronger bodies. I don't see them actually getting many good quality players out of the free agency signings.

We might have extra draft pick yet as both Thompson and Dangerfield havent signed yet and one of reasons kept Tippett was the success that was around the corner which is way down the road now .
Regarding having 4 rookies upgraded think that may not happen as Jaensch would be lucky to now and feel that Schmidt might need to show a bit more yet .
Henderson will and Wright might and can keep Riley and Thompson as rookie so doubt be upgraded yet .
Agree maybe Mckernan and Talia not exactly in our needs and could be traded but need to get good value especially for Talia as potential still unknown.
Believe we had our chance to get Griffin but time and value to get has gone by .
Think good year to take a gamble on players that may give good immediate impact as well . Wouldnt it be good to pick up a real talent with our first pick that is so good plays in first year .

I don't see much point in trading one of our young KPP's like McKernan or Talia at this stage you will never get a decent return on them. If we're serious about trading a KPP I would trade Rutten to the GC for 2 1st round picks and maybe Stevens to them if we could jag another 1st rounder for him (which I agree is optimistic - but he would provide them with a versatile KPP who can play either end). Rutten is still an elite FB and a new team will be screaming out for someone of his calibre while their young KPP are developing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our Lowest Draft Pick should be Pick 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back