Paris 2024 Olympics

Remove this Banner Ad

On that basis, I would've thought it appeared I. Tokyo given the popularity of the sport there.

Re: Netball, I wonder if that will be added to 2032, it might be a team sport we could actually win gold at.

Baseball/softball were in Tokyo, then dropped for Paris, and will be brought back for LA.

Sorry, might not be a popular opinion but i will not be surprised in the least in the years to come it comes out that the Chinese guy that won the 100m freestyle over Kyle Chalmers was on some new age performance enhancing drug no one has seen yet. How does he beat the rest of a very tight field by more than 1 second over that distance?.

Bit of bathwater drinking from the Matildas I reckon
Just have never made that many improvements or adopted a progressive game-style since Alan Stajcic was unceremoniously dumped back in 2019. Just relied on Sam Kerr & couple of other talented individuals to rescue them or beat up on weak sides that travelled out to Australia. Could never make any real progress against top teams, very occasionally got a ‘jammy’ result but when they came up against most European sides or the USA they would continually struggle against them exactly like they have this Olympics.

Gustavsson appointment post 2019 World Cup was a ‘vibes’ heavy selection and him implementing his basic outdated flat 4-4-2 Scandinavian influenced, non-possessive, heavily structure reliant football style that tamed the natural flair of the talent he did have available to him, that style hardly succeeded unless it was against poor teams or teams playing similar basic outdated formations like the teams from Asia, Chile, New Zealand or Canada that they seemed to play & stat-pad on every year. Couple that with injuries to some more influential players, hardly blooding anyone new in his first few years as coach and then realising because of this he had a huge lack of ready talent depth when it came to forwards or central defenders. Bloke should’ve been sacked when they got knocked out in the 2022 Asian Cup quarter final but due to his good relationships held on to get another couple of years… add some ‘jammy’ results in a home World Cup and here we are.

Found it quite ironic that he finally ended up switching it up & playing with wing-backs in a more modern 3-4-3 formation for his last couple of games after seemingly being a Mike Bassett type disciple of the 4–4-2.

Sorry, might not be a popular opinion but i will not be surprised in the least in the years to come it comes out that the Chinese guy that won the 100m freestyle over Kyle Chalmers was on some new age performance enhancing drug no one has seen yet. How does he beat the rest of a very tight field by more than 1 second over that distance?.
Unnaturally fast :think: That last 50m by Kyle was out of this world.

Bit of bathwater drinking from the Matildas I reckon
Fair go. A fairly tough group to get through.
Australia ranked 12th in the world
Germany and USA are ranked 4 and 5.
The Zambia side is fairly low ranked but have 2 of the highest priced players in the world.

Fair go. A fairly tough group to get through.
Australia ranked 12th in the world
Germany and USA are ranked 4 and 5.
The Zambia side is fairly low ranked but have 2 of the highest priced players in the world.

I agree with that but Australia were poor, below their usual standard, especially defensively (I haven't watched the USA match yet to be fair)

They're probably not medal quality but I think it's fair to say they got ahead of themselves given how they started the tournament

I agree with that but Australia were poor, below their usual standard, especially defensively (I haven't watched the USA match yet to be fair)

They're probably not medal quality but I think it's fair to say they got ahead of themselves given how they started the tournament
That was only our press putting them on a pedestal which is fair enough. All national press outlets do that. Sam Kerr was the trump card they couldn't afford to lose.

I see Canada got through despite getting docked 6 points. They touched the Matilda's few weeks ago. Canada, I think is the world No1 team.
Edit.No 8

Last edited:
Women's hockey and women's water polo both on right now.

Personally I wish the Olympics focused more on adding objectively judged sports because they are much easier to follow. Eg sport climbing (who climbed faster?)

It's a bit bizarre we have breakdancing and dressage (which is just horse dancing) in the Olympics for example, but not baseball, netball or cricket (cricket is being added next time)

Some sort of team multi sport would be cool too, kinda like a pentathlon but each team has to play basketball then soccer then rugby or something
Hot take:
The Olympics should not contain any sport that requires subjective scoring. Get rid of all of it.
Faster, Higher, Stronger. Not 'what I think possibly looked best at this moment'.

In a slow pool......

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hot take:
The Olympics should not contain any sport that requires subjective scoring. Get rid of all of it.
Faster, Higher, Stronger. Not 'what I think possibly looked best at this moment'.
Some of the traditional sports use subjective scoring.

Gymnastics
Diving
Boxing
Equestrian
Synchronised Swimming

Do agree break dancing is a stretch as an Olympic event.

Some of the traditional sports use subjective scoring.

Gymnastics
Diving
Boxing
Equestrian
Synchronised Swimming

Do agree break dancing is a stretch as an Olympic event.

All gone!
Cut them all. Gets rid of the rampant cheating that happens as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hot take:
BMX has subjective scoring, but it is fantastic to watch. Maybe it should be like canoeing by having a time and obstacle system.

...And they had 2 men playing, who scored all 5 goals between them.

Edit: To be clear - in 2022 they were banned from playing in the Africa Cup of Nations tournament after “failing gender eligibility tests” but FIFA has since allowed countries to conduct their own tests and they were allowed to play in the Women's World Cup and the Olympics. Their exact status is unclear but very suss.

Last edited:
Just wait for the "Women's" boxing today. Could get ugly.
Men punching women in the face is as an Olympic sport. :(

200.gif

Last edited:
Who the heck would know with any of those subjective sports?

Gymnastics, diving, skateboarding.

They used to show each individual judge's score but they've done away with that, presumably because the discrepancies from one judge to another were so huge

Don’t few any of the sports where judges are involved in scoring (diving, boxing, gymnastics etc).

Only watch the sports determined by times, goals etc.

Just have never made that many improvements or adopted a progressive game-style since Alan Stajcic was unceremoniously dumped back in 2019. Just relied on Sam Kerr & couple of other talented individuals to rescue them or beat up on weak sides that travelled out to Australia. Could never make any real progress against top teams, very occasionally got a ‘jammy’ result but when they came up against most European sides or the USA they would continually struggle against them exactly like they have this Olympics.

Gustavsson appointment post 2019 World Cup was a ‘vibes’ heavy selection and him implementing his basic outdated flat 4-4-2 Scandinavian influenced, non-possessive, heavily structure reliant football style that tamed the natural flair of the talent he did have available to him, that style hardly succeeded unless it was against poor teams or teams playing similar basic outdated formations like the teams from Asia, Chile, New Zealand or Canada that they seemed to play & stat-pad on every year. Couple that with injuries to some more influential players, hardly blooding anyone new in his first few years as coach and then realising because of this he had a huge lack of ready talent depth when it came to forwards or central defenders. Bloke should’ve been sacked when they got knocked out in the 2022 Asian Cup quarter final but due to his good relationships held on to get another couple of years… add some ‘jammy’ results in a home World Cup and here we are.

Found it quite ironic that he finally ended up switching it up & playing with wing-backs in a more modern 3-4-3 formation for his last couple of games after seemingly being a Mike Bassett type disciple of the 4–4-2.

This sounds like a bit like Nicks coaching.

BMX has subjective scoring, but it is fantastic to watch. Maybe it should be like canoeing by having a time and obstacle system.
It's great. I'm not saying any of the sports aren't good or worthwhile. Maybe they just don't fit in an Olympics.

There is a BMX race BTW

Remove this Banner Ad

Paris 2024 Olympics

Remove this Banner Ad

Back