Paris 2024 Olympics

Remove this Banner Ad

Any olympic buffs know of an updated medal chances for the Aussies for the next few days. Any events to keep any eye out for?

Matt Wearn in the men's dinghy sailing is a guaranteed silver but a strong chance of gold in tonight's event

Nina Kennedy a good chance in women's pole vault

Both water polo teams, women already through to the semis

Women's beach volleyball team also through to the semis

I think we've got a few female boxers with guaranteed bronze that could go all the way

Keegan Palmer in the men's park skateboarding, gold medalist in Tokyo

Our women's basketball team is still in the comp

Several chances in the cycling events

Think we also performed well in the heats of some of the canoe sprint events

Matt Wearn in the men's dinghy sailing is a guaranteed silver but a strong chance of gold in tonight's event

Nina Kennedy a good chance in women's pole vault

Both water polo teams, women already through to the semis

Women's beach volleyball team also through to the semis

I think we've got a few female boxers with guaranteed bronze that could go all the way

Keegan Palmer in the men's park skateboarding, gold medalist in Tokyo

Our women's basketball team is still in the comp

Several chances in the cycling events

Think we also performed well in the heats of some of the canoe sprint events

Sounds like we could beat Sydneys gold tally of 16. Great result.

Another choke from an Australian team at the Olympics
This is bullshit. I hate this.
It's the Olympics. We are playing against other countries. Not surprisingly, they also happen to be very good.
In pretty much everyone of these sports we are playing well above the level our population says we should. We genuinely outperform what we should.

In terms of the basketball, we got hot early and shot at an insane level. That was never going to hold. We also were playing a team that won Silver last time, have the World's best player and several other very good players. We had 3 or 4 guys that play NBL FFS! Our best players are either past their best, or very young.
To even get close to Serbia is actually an impressive effort.

It's the Olympics. We are playing against other countries. Not surprisingly, they also happen to be very good.
In pretty much everyone of these sports we are playing well above the level our population says we should. We genuinely outperform what we should.

In terms of the basketball, we got hot early and shot at an insane level. That was never going to hold. We also were playing a team that won Silver last time, have the World's best player and several other very good players. We had 3 or 4 guys that play NBL FFS! Our best players are either past their best, or very young.
We were 24pts up.

We choked

Add that to both Hockey teams, probably the Opals, Rugby 7s who looked invincible until they weren't, and the Matildas.

We've been shit at the team sports

The rugby 7s women not even medaling was probably the biggest choke.

We were 24pts up.

We choked
Rubbish. We lost to the better team. We did better than could be expected.
I didn't think we would win a game or get out of the pool. We won one game.
The reality is that this version of the Boomers is well below previous versions. Getting in front and playing like we did early was a miracle. Getting close was outstanding.

Losing to Serbia normally wouldn't classify as a choke. They are a good team

But when you're 24 points up, lose that lead through pathetic turnovers, equalize through some individual brilliance and hero ball that actually pays off for once, only to get ahead in ET then stuff it up... that's a choke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were 24pts up.

We choked
teams in the NBA have lost from being 20 points up in the LAST QTR in the season just finished, let alone the second Qtr as we were. As you no doubt know, teams go on 10-12 straight point runs often. As DJ said, Serbia won Silver and with Jokic we are simply not able to compete at his level - its as simple as that.

First half conversion from Patty and Giddey was insanely high and never likely to be repeated in the second half.

I wouldnt call it a choke at all

teams in the NBA have lost from being 20 points up in the LAST QTR in the season just finished, let alone the second Qtr as we were. As you no doubt know, teams go on 10-12 straight point runs often. As DJ said, Serbia won Silver and with Jokic we are simply not able to compete at his level - its as simple as that.

First half conversion from Patty and Giddey was insanely high and never likely to be repeated in the second half.

I wouldnt call it a choke at all
Jokic really took charge at the end of the match but that's not how we lost the lead we had. We lost it because we just kept turning it over, handing opportunities straight to them

We were 24pts up.

We choked
Nah you cant sustain the shooting percentages we had in the first - Serbia just had to ride it out until we cooled off. They re-set their set up and went to work. That said, the squad lacked balance and Goorj didnt seem to have a handle on it. Time for a refresh with the young guys coming through.

Jokic really took charge at the end of the match but that's not how we lost the lead we had. We lost it because we just kept turning it over, handing opportunities straight to them
yeah i get the turnovers were ugly and agree 100%. no doubt, thats the most disappointing aspect inc the very last scoring opportunity we buggered up. with Landale subbed out going into OT I didnt give us much chance. And the way Serbia milked fouls and some of the soft ones paid to them...should be playing soccer instead.

I never expected us to win and we played (shot) out of our skin to get up so much in the 2nd qtr but then natural talent reverted the score to the norm IMO

Losing to Serbia normally wouldn't classify as a choke. They are a good team

But when you're 24 points up, lose that lead through pathetic turnovers, equalize through some individual brilliance and hero ball that actually pays off for once, only to get ahead in ET then stuff it up... that's a choke
If you ignore everything else and just say 'lost from 24 points up' - then yes it looks like a choke.
The reality is that it was a miracle we got to that position. Once we returned to the median, which was always going to happen, we were in trouble.

Rather than call them chokers, we should actually be applauding their ability to even get close. I don't think we would have beaten anyone in the quarter finals, except maybe Brazil.

Nah you cant sustain the shooting percentages we had in the first - Serbia just had to ride it out until we cooled off. They re-set their set up and went to work. That said, the squad lacked balance and Goorj didnt seem to have a handle on it. Time for a refresh with the young guys coming through.
I agree with everything here.

Serbia were very smart. We got on an unbelievable hot streak. Serbia finally did something about it and went out of their way to slow the game and take the momentum away. They used their challenge early on purely for this reason. The time it took to review the footage etc... really took momentum away from us.
They did a few smart things like that.

If you ignore everything else and just say 'lost from 24 points up' - then yes it looks like a choke.
The reality is that it was a miracle we got to that position. Once we returned to the median, which was always going to happen, we were in trouble.

Rather than call them chokers, we should actually be applauding their ability to even get close. I don't think we would have beaten anyone in the quarter finals, except maybe Brazil.

It's not just getting 24 points up, it's getting to that point, having the win as a possibility against a better team, then almost immediately shitting the bed and becoming a turnover machine because we couldn't handle it.

If we played well and Serbia rightfully came back because they were the better side, so be it.

The pressure got to us as soon as Serbia made some nice plays and we reverted to unforced errors

Remove this Banner Ad

Paris 2024 Olympics

Remove this Banner Ad

Back