Review Positives and Negatives - Gold Coast, Rd 18 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

with the long trip , the Damaged Goodes saga , Phil Walsh tragedy all conspiring to mentally exhaust the players and a opposition with nothing to lose. it was always going to be a danger game

Our kicking inside 50 has been steadily degrading and Kennedy has suffered accordingly. May seemed to have Josh covered for speed on the lead so he really needed to have the ball kicked to his advantage. When Josh has to out-muscle blokes and take one handed grabs he is always going to struggle.

We have to give credit to Gold Coast. They brought a lot of pressure and sustained it for almost the full 4 quarters.

I haven`t seen the replay yet but what I did notice about JK, was the elbow brace he normally wears had been replaced and the bandaging on his elbow seemed to be thicker toward the end of the game , it may have been after the Sheed mark collision.

- Guess Simpson was being honest when he said the goal was just to get more than 13 wins this season. After our 14th, just turned off.

+ Couldn't watch the last 10 minutes, saw that we feel from #1 on the live ladder after the game and assumed we lost. Honestly surprised we even managed a draw with the **** we dished up.

- If they had had Ablett, O'Meara and Swallow in, we were about due for a loss. But being defeated by an unmanned side speaks volumes about our mental state.

+ Every other team has had fades this season. This is our first major one for 14 rounds (I don't count the NM game which was a lottery).

- Lost %.

+ Have to beat Hawks next week now.

- Physical game will leave us sore for next week.

+1!! Missed this. :(
The mark I think they are referring to is on the AFL website. Go to Match Center, Suns v Eagles and it should be under the media tab.

People saying "Don't cry don't cry put it in perspective, it's not a loss, it's not the end of the world" need to realize it was 2nd vs 17th.

We should have mopped the floor with them. They are the 17th best side in the competition missing arguably their best 4 midfielders.

I expect us to drop a game occasionally sure, it happens. But not THAT game.

Up until the Richmond game, we hadn't really played "bad" all season (apart from the derby). And now our last 3 games have been deadset average. Our form is terrible right now.

People saying "Don't cry don't cry put it in perspective, it's not a loss, it's not the end of the world" need to realize it was 2nd vs 17th.

We should have mopped the floor with them. They are the 17th best side in the competition missing arguably their best 4 midfielders.

But that's when we have traditionally been our weakest, when we think we are going to do it easy. We roll up expecting to win without doing the hard work and we usually get rolled. We're lucky we got any points after that effort.

The mark I think they are referring to is on the AFL website. Go to Match Center, Suns v Eagles and it should be under the media tab.
Thanks Maroon Golf

The bottom line is we just did not show up last night. We didn't even start playing til the 10 minute mark of the last quarter when we were 10 points down. Sure some of the umpiring decisions were ridiculous but we are incredibly lucky we didn't lose last night as we were pathetic. If we dish that up next week we will get pantsed by 50+.
This. The bombing it into our forward 50 almost all night was embarrassing. No wonder we're kicking points all the time because there's no leading from our forward structure, just hurried up and under kicks from our mids resulting in the ball hitting the deck and a scramble to pick it up and slam it on to the boot toward goal. The umpiring (or non umpiring when it comes to JK and Darling getting held) was bad, but did you see the holding the ball in the last quarter that wasn't paid - was it priddis that got tackled in their forward 50, had it for about 5 minutes and didn't get pinged?

We simply didn't turn up last night, and it showed. The guys were already dreaming about September.

Up until the Richmond game, we hadn't really played "bad" all season (apart from the derby). And now our last 3 games have been deadset average. Our form is terrible right now.

Completely agree. Even if we're having an off day and Gold Coast are playing out of their skin, our 'off day' form should still be better than the Gold Coasts best form, considering the year they've had and the players they're missing. That's if we consider ourselves a premiership contender, which after last night's game, put some major doubt in my mind.

Skills are just off all over the ground. Not just in front of goal. We have been scrubbing kicks and missing handball targets with increasing regularity.

Man...I am in Eeyore mode this morning, it feels like a generalised loss of form caught us last night. We have to get up for the next two matches.

Skills are just off all over the ground. Not just in front of goal. We have been scrubbing kicks and missing handball targets with increasing regularity.

Man...I am in Eeyore mode this morning, it feels like a generalised loss of form caught us last night. We have to get up for the next two matches.
after a bad night sleep another positive. Barass is obviously capable and will grow into a valuable player.
Sellwood is a solid AFL player with some skill deficiencies. Hutchings is a good WAFL players. We look to have good batch developing in the WAFL to replace him over time.

another negative - some ill disciplined frees and 50's cost us badly - frustration from players who were off the pace as a team

We played poorly, it's a miracle we were able to steal two points and thank god we did as it's nearly as important as a win at this point of the year.

We've left it to the last quarter to make an assault too many times this year and it was going to bite us in the arse eventually. Couple it with our crappy goalkicking and we probably should have lost one or two more.

All in all this could be a blessing in disguise, the boys should be humbled and embarrassed and now they must ask themselves how badly they want top two.

Last night i saw a very lazy team, a team that reverted back to helicopter kicks and hospital handballs. A team where players would prefer to shoot for glory than hit up a teammate.

This is the wake up call we probably needed awhile ago, things just get glossed over when you keep winning i suppose.

Completely agree. Even if we're having an off day and Gold Coast are playing out of their skin, our 'off day' form should still be better than the Gold Coasts best form, considering the year they've had and the players they're missing. That's if we consider ourselves a premiership contender, which after last night's game, put some major doubt in my mind.

WCE were in front with 7seconds on the clock .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We played poorly, it's a miracle we were able to steal two points and thank god we did as it's nearly as important as a win at this point of the year.

I don't agree. We had more scoring shots and more inside 50s. In that sense its a bit like the North game in not taking our opportunities. A lack of fundamentals and discipline did us in.

Negatives

We played dumb football and went away from the game plan that has won us 13 games straight.
We played arrogant football thinking if we turned up that's all that it would take.
Our skills were crap......a lot to do with above points.
Our delivery inside the forward 50 was under 10's level. Bomb it long and high. How many times do our players need to play like that to get it. Use handball under pressure and lower your eyes and pin point your passes inside 50 FFS.:mad::mad:

I really hate dumb football and last night we played dumb football.

Positives

The loss we had to have was a draw. Don't matter how good Hawthorns % gets.
Our players will hopefully be reminded that they aren't that great if they don't turn up to play and don't follow the game plan they will lose.
The players will never bomb the ball inside our forward 50 again this year. (Just look at the Swans last quarter against us and the Swans entire game against the Crows this week)

Credit to GC they pressured us a lot and our skills broke down .
We are a team that needs our quick precise kicking to make our system work .
As soon our our kicking faulted the game became a running game and we were exposed for our lack of pace .
The likes of Wellingham , yeo , hutch , rosa and mastens kicking has been going backwards the last month from the higher standards of before the bye .
Simpson needs to drill the skills back into our boys again as ATM they will not stand up to finals footy .
And hill can just GTFO of our team

Now DS we all understand you haven't had the opportunity to roll out your negativity for quite some time now and last night finally has given you the opportunity but take a chill pill.

It was the loss / draw we had to have so our players get a kick up the arse and get reminded that if you don't turn up to play any team can beat any other team on any given night. Hawks just got the same reminder after being labelled premiers already.

If we can win one of the next two I can see top two is ours. Can't see us dropping out of the top four unless we fall of a cliff / injuries decimate us.

Plenty of teams at the top of ladder lose games later in the season they shouldn't. Hopefully this was ours and at least we salvaged 2 points. Just hope the players get the wake up call and we look at maybe giving Hill a rest as I think he's struggling with that shoulder.

That last Lynch mark, I could see it happening in slow motion before the bloke even kicked it inside 50. I just expected it to happen given how the night had gone. He then teased me with that set shot, having it on line with the post till the last 5 metres.

Can't stop watching Sheed's mark - how is that for a positive? He's going to be a huge part of this club for a long time. What a sensational year he's having.
Some idiot on Facebook called it reckless and he should have let JJK at it.

Couldn't believe it

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Positives and Negatives - Gold Coast, Rd 18 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Back