Autopsy Round 21, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives +
  • THEY PLAYED THE OG SONG BEST PART OF THE WIN.
  • The team tackled strongly. The club had more possessions yet won the tackle count.
  • Smashed them in contested possessions. Much better effort.
  • Better team tactics and hunting the ball and player.
  • More tackles actually sticking.
  • Captain Duggan, one of his best games of the year and DIDN'T butcher the ball as much.
  • Vintage Darling. When he actually tries hard the good games will come especially at this late stage in his career. Needs to play like an absolute try hard every single game from now on until the end of his career.
  • J.Williams gets a lot of the ball as a second ruck, moves well and has used his game smarts. Competed well against Witts and was great around the ground. A gem we found.
  • Dewar looked AFL ready. Got into right positions. Good kick for goal.
  • Waterman continuing his form. Shown some strong hands against good Suns defenders.
  • Hall also looked AFL ready. Makes the right decisions.
  • Hough much better than last week. Got more of the ball and was composed.
  • Allen played better than last week. Halved the contest more and took some nice grabs.
  • Maric's decision making and kicking execution is elite. That kick that led to one of Allen's goals was perfect. Needs to get more of the ball.
  • Ginbey found his calling down back. Was a back marshal and rebounded well. Played as a CHB when H.Edwards gone down and was good.
  • Cole was solid.
  • Johnston used the ball well.
  • Gov still in contention for AA form.
  • Reid although good, just takes on one too many. The Suns players seems to be more stronger although in future once the tackler locks Reid's fending arm, I like to see him kick it if that happens. He should take on the tackler as a last resort although his teammates needs to help him by providing options. Was better than the stats suggested.

Meh =
= Cripps was good but was too fumbly at times which frustrates me.
= Trew looked ok but also a bit fumbly at times.
= B.Williams a bit more competitive against Witts in the ruck.
= Hunt pretty quiet at times but still provided some run.

Negatives -
  • Umpiring was absolute trash. Something needs to be done to help improve umpiring.
  • Case for a priority pick gets weaker.
  • Got smashed in the ruck. I like Bailey but against monsters he gets destroyed.
  • H.Edwards gone down.
  • Still exposed on the transition at times. The Suns weren't good enough to punish us for it that other teams WILL punish us for it.

Final thoughts.

Great win from the club. The effort, better tactics shown is what hopefully the club could do in the future once it's set up. I WAS SOO HAPPY WHEN THEY PLAYED THE OG 1987 SONG YAAAY.

Last edited:

I don't even know where to start with that. It wasn't pretty, even our better players had poor moments, but the contest was brutal and the players came to play.

We saw massive hits from Reid, Darling, Ryan, Hough and others I am probably forgetting.

I felt like the signs were there last week, albeit Freo are a much better team and we faded away.

I really like Whopper for some reason, just the sort of guy you want to see do well and he looks like he gets it.

Jack Williams and Jack Darling were great.

Jack Darling early was on the move everywhere, strong leads, big presence, then in the second half it was more defensive. A few of our goals (JWill snap for example) are helped by Darling looking ominous and drawing a crowd. Had 2 contested marks and the other one not paid. 22 touches, 8 marks, 6 tackles (4 inside 50), 5 inside 50s and some clever tap ons as well. Lead the team for distance travelled and barely got a rest with 95% TOG I am surprised he looked so energetic.

Jack Williams 3rd quarter 9 touches and a goal plus good ruck craft. I love his vision and ability to hit forward handballs by getting his big arms clear of congestion and taking the attacking option.

Duggan was messy but also did some good things defensively. 8 tackles as well as pitching in with 5 clearances, doesn't look out of place in the midfield, on the wing or on the HBF. He's a good player despite the hate, although tonight he definitely looked rusty with some dodgy kicks and one poor fumble that really stood out early. He knows how to get the ball though playing in a variety of places, understands the game in open play better than most.

Jake Waterman had one goal through good transition, there were 2 that he just plucked balls out of the air from positions he had no right to. We don't win the game without him. We had 7 fewer inside 50s than GC, it's the type of plays Waterman makes that help us win these games.

Ginbey looked bad early when he was trailing Mac Andrews but this wasn't a Ginbey issue, it was a team defence issue and they hadn't nailed the setup yet. He had 7 intercept possessions, 4 bounces, some big spoils and he did some neat little spot up kicks at times instead of blasting away.

Reid gave away 7 free kicks, but he went at 94% DE in heavily contested areas as well. Loved the physicality but got caught a few times early. Will get better with time.

Trew had a comically laughable moment early but did nice things throughout playing what looked like a mixture of forward and partial mid, only 61% TOG but managed to get a goal and a goal assist in there to go with 5 tackles.

Dewar / Allen popping up with 2 goals apiece is great to see, Allen even not at his best has a habit of kicking a handful and Dewar belongs at the level, looks too good in the WAFL.

Plenty to like with others as well, Gov turned into a beast after a very poor start, Hough was way better than last week. Kelly was amazing at times and frustrating at other times. Yeo's ball use also a mixed bag but the good was amazing and the bad not as bad as Kelly's.

I feel like the team was energised and a lot of this came from Yeo, Kelly, Duggan, Darling and JWill as well as Hough and Ginbey down back looking tireless in their efforts.

There are still questions about the amount of talls we have though, Darling, BWill, JWill, Maric, Allen, Waterman, I still think it might be one too many and unfortunately all of them are AFL quality, be hard to drop someone. Allen went back late in the game.

Then you have Flynn, Bazzo and Archer Reid to come.

There was one passage of play in the 3rd where Clay
I thought Harvey Johnston was awesome tonight. Only got it 14 times but he used the ball well under pressure with hand & foot & just looked clean.

Hall only got it 5 times but he looked agile, fast & clean in traffic. His kicking looked fine but it’s only a small sample size so far.

Dewar just looks lively & kicked 2 important goals.

Ginbey was awesome & Maric also did some good things.

Ginbey in particular just ended Rothams
Career at the club if it wasn’t already. Just shown he can do the same job & offer a lot offensively.
If they all are not named next week, the entire board will riot.
Surprised how composed and AFL ready the kids looked. All looked like they belonged

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, if you guys think Reid loves to start a brawl, wait until Malakai Champion is in the team. He loves it just as much.
Reid has mastered the old Hawks tactic of starting a wrestle after you give away a free. Holds up the opposition and never gets penalised.

He is getting into a habit of holding on to it too long though. So many htbs trying to bulldoze through. Actually cost us a couple of goals tonight.
It’s going to be a fine line for him I think because he knows he genuinely stronger than most. And often he will initiate contact to free others. It works more often than not.

Rowell was not the guy to try and take on, though- that guy is a literal tank.

I am sure we are coaching him through those scenarios, though, so he learns through it because he is going to have to get used to tackles like he got tonight as teams are going to work on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 21, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back