Autopsy Round 21, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Jack Darling laid some of the hardest tackles of his career tonight. Just absolutely sent it.

Really, really pleased with the fire in the belly the boys brought and the sustained heat they put on GC right to the death.

GC must be licking their wounds and wondering "why us?"

Footy's so much more fun when your team wins!

Positives:
  • Tackling! Great to see the effort, even if still a few too many got broken. The extra pressure won us the game.
  • Theme song - bring it back!
  • Jack Darling proved me wrong (I would have dropped him) with his best game in ages.
  • Waterman fantastic again. Sure, trade Barrass, but we need to retain Jake.
  • Jack Williams excellent - great value in years ahead both up front and in the ruck.
  • The kids. Tyrell Dewar two goals, Harvey Johnston looked at home, Clay Hall some good moments.
  • Lots of important moments from Reid even though he was much quieter than last week. Still love him taking the game on, but he probably learned a few lessons tonight too.
  • Reuben played superbly - how the AFL site doesn't list him in our best I don't know.
  • Yeo and Kelly high quality games, instrumental in many centre clearances.
  • Gov some vital defending in a backline missing TB and, for most of the game, Harry Edwards.
  • Maric's mark near the goal square.
  • Cripps and Duggan each had some horrible moments, but kicked the clutch goals at the end.
  • Goalkicking was very good (one JD shank excepted).
  • Culture building win: multiple comebacks from behind, beat a team who needed to win, overcame yet another lopsided umpiring effort. Hope to see the effort backed up, though would understand if the team is sore and tired after two hard games.
  • Seeing how happy the boys were after the game.
Negatives:
  • Umpiring abysmal. Some bewildering decisions both ways but once again we clearly got the worst of it.
  • Fumbling and skill errors still killing us.
  • Witho's skills and decision making. The guy is really trying, but he put up another performance that argues strongly for delisting.
  • Harry's concussion.
  • Despite kicking what turned out to be the sealer, Cripps' game overall must put his spot in the side in doubt.
Plenty of the green shoots we were all wanting. Imagine Hewett, Long and our R1 draft pick(s) in this team next year.

Dewar is an upgrade on Brockman. Keep Johnston in I think the recruiters plucked a late pick there. Jack Williams looking like another successful development of a tall. Other clubs can go half a decade searching for good KPPs but West Coast pumps them out one after another.

Negative
The navy

Love the logos and the deep deep wings. But navy’s just a bit shit soz
Yeah don’t mind it being a worn every now and then but this colour ain’t us. I think the same kit in royal would have looked elite and would have been a true retro kit as that version of the royal personifies the Eagles of their 90’s glory days

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Negative
The navy

Love the logos and the deep deep wings. But navy’s just a bit shit soz
straight-face.gif

Ginbey.
Jack Williams.
Johnston.
Dewar.
Maric.
Hall.
Trew.

All of them had great moments. Ginbey and Jack Williams were excellent all game, on top of Hough and Harley doing their thing. Of any of our wins in the last couple of years it felt like that had the biggest spread of contributions from the kids. It has been a long few years but the green shoots are getting bigger.

Think Johnston and Dewar see the year out in the team. Both just look much better then those before them in those spots.

I feel like this is the end of the Bailey Williams ruck experiment. He was absolutely destroyed. Jack Williams is also a much better 2nd ruck. Best to move him on at end of the season. Sad but true

Positives
Ginbey gave me massive Nick Lizard Blakey vibes. Out marking bigger opponents and cutting back into the centre of the ground breaking lines. Huge boost to the team structure to finally settle him in a role that plays to his strengths.

Jack Williams is the best ruck in our squad. I think that game tipped me over the edge to the get English camp, we can’t sit back and let Bailey give the oppo mids first use of the ball each week, it’s killing our development. English and JWill would be a good combo going forward. Archer I’d like to see play an Adam Hunter role. Main role is defence but can swing forward. Is there a spot for him in defence next week with Barrass, HEdwards and Jamo unavailable?

Although Clay Hall’s stats column looks bleak he looked very composed and won/killed some very important contests with the ball in dangerous areas.

Harley is the best thing that’s happened to this club in a long time. We’ve lacked mongrel and hunger for a long time and that second half was as desperate as I’ve seen us in recent memory.

Negatives
Been saying it all year but Witherden has to go, don’t doubt his heart but he is an appalling footballer. Directly cost us multiple goals, can’t defend and the most over rated kick in the AFL.

Think Johnston and Dewar see the year out in the team. Both just look much better then those before them in those spots.

I feel like this is the end of the Bailey Williams ruck experiment. He was absolutely destroyed. Jack Williams is also a much better 2nd ruck. Best to move him on at end of the season. Sad but true
Papers are stamped soon as English lands here. With TB gone I’d be training Williams with the backs over preseason and playing as a fullback for the Beagles.

Geez JWill just a very very high footy IQ.Remarkable recovery for a big bloke.
BBW really tried hard in the ruck.It was the standing still contests that showed him up not the run and leap.He looked much better when he followed up the contest and gave a second effort which is something he doesn’t always do.
Kids were great!
JD I felt some of those tackles in my lounge.Where’s that been?
HR. We don’t ;or shouldn’t; expect you to carry the team.Just crack in and give us an honest contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 21, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back