Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs. Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep star and Lycett is more than serviceable

Lycett was rated best on ground last week by Champion Data last week vs you guys

giphy.gif

+Made it known i was disappointed with the Giles selection and Jonathan comes out and makes me look like a right Ndot. What a campaigner.

+Sexual showing the AFL community just how sexy he really is. And that sometimes it's not just about being good looking on the footy field.

+$50 on us for the win at the start of the game. Thank you very much. Something about seeing #jettadardzorangeboots just inspired me.

All that aside, this is the proudest I've been of the club and this team all year. On the road with plenty on the line, and we didn't let up for one minute. Four quarter effort with some inspirational performances from individual lesser players like Sexual and Giles.

Not once did i believe the notion that we could just suddenly snap our fingers in the last few games before finals and start playing good footy, after such a shit season, and yet here we are. Simpson has actually done it. Nic Nat aside, it's been a perfect month of football :thumbsu:

Negatives:
*Umpire bias yet again (8 more fress then WC in Adelaide's favour)
*Yeo not destroying everything that crosses his sightlines.
*Hill had another quiet game.

All in all, an excellent performance across the board, 10/10.

Yep. The umps were ordinary.

Poor in the back call against Yeo in the centre in the second quarter led directly to a Crows goal.

Shocking deliberate call against Masto kicking from the back pocket which was clearly a shank - team mates were in the vicinity. Second week in a row poor deliberate call after last week one against Schoey.

Positives:

Confirmed Adelaide continue to be our bunnies on the big stage.

Giles, Gaff, Barass, Kennedy, Hutchings (has skill limitations but like Priddis, is a genuine footballer).

LeCras, clearly playing to the coaches instructions - he must be or WTF?

Kennedy, another dagger into the evil corrupt empire (bit overstated) of Carlton. Although the Blues supporters seem to genuinely wish the big fella well.

Jetta/Hill - glimpses of Phil and Billy. Now for consistency.

Negatives:

LeCras.

Masten - laid 1 tackle and is there any chance he might try and lay off the ball before getting tackled, to a player in a good position?

Since Gaff took that hit against Port, he just seems to have gone up a level. Its almost like he finally took the big hit he was avoiding for so long, and now knows he can take it. Big positive for me last night was Gaff. He had more clearance and contested possessions than any one else on the ground, and there are some handy contested ball winners on both teams.

Edit - Priddis had 2 more CP than Gaff (gotta learn to sort the correct column). Still amazing stats from a small wingman.

Last edited:
Outstanding effort by the WCE players. Proud of our team.

Positives
All bar 4

Negatives
Masto...useless
Lecca...nfi
Darling...kicking...again
Jetta...a quiet yelp...doesnt work hard enough

This post will be long.

Positives:

Barass - My god we have a player, the courage to back himself, the knowledge of when to spoil, the flowing locks, the disposal efficiency. He is the perfect defender. I feel bad for Emac though.

Shepard - He's a high flyer deep down, but he loves the spoil. Comes in from 18 deep and still gets the ball on his fist. His dash was awesome out of the backline and late in the game he was still going HAM

Schofield - Played a great defensive role, was the last man on the goal line a number of times and didn't try anything fancy, just smashed it through, great closing speed and beautiful chemistry with the others.

Gov - See Barass, except sometimes goes for marks instead of spoils, usually pays off though.

Hurn - We basically have the best kick in set ups in the league. It's all because of this absolute weapon. It creates goals plain and simple and releases pressure.

Wellingham - Great attack on the ball but his disposal seemed off today, a lot of weird kicks that didn't make a lot of sense. His ground ball hunting was awesome though.

Priddis - That handball ratio is good and his tackles and balls won from an non advantageous position is sublime. He held the ball so well in traffic and his arms could not be pinned, his pickups from ground level were only matched by Gaff

Gaff - Is there a better runner in the AFL? Combines running prowess with great knowledge of the game, his first grab play under immense pressure was the difference between so many of our forward thrusts becoming ball ups, he impacted hugely and his vision was first class. Arguably our bravest player with Shep, he has been smashed in the head and still goes crashing through contests as well as back with the flight!

Shuey - The damage per possession of this man is through the roof. He is inside and outside in perfect balance and has every weapon any AFL player could ever want. His tackling technique is matched only by Priddis and maybe Cripps

JK - Our bearded god, arguably the best Forward in the competition. He's got his set shot kicking sorted out and his hands are better than ever, the bloke never puts his head down and gives up. He's also a great field kick.

Darling - Started so horribly but took a leaf out of JK's book and just kept going, then it all turned around. Really turned the game in the end with crucial marks and goals.

Lecras - So dangerous as a forward roaming the ground, he actually gets more touches as a forward than he does as a midfield and although he missed some set shots, his field kicking and first grabs below his knees were back to their best and he seemed to be relishing the defensive stuff. He looks like he cares more in the back half of the year and we need him.

Hutchings - Is borderline best 22 but I think he's best 22. Manages to pop up for a goal, he can tackle and can always switch to a shutdown role. Unfortunately he has some negatives as well.

Ruck combo - Mostly Giles here, but perhaps we're just a better team with 2 ruckmen. Lycett copped aknee knock and Giles took over big time, took marks forward as well as down back and could be the hero that West Coast need

Handballing - Seemed overdone at times, but this was amazing for the most part, stemming from clean first grabs, the whole game revolves around this clean use, especially for a team like ours with some good runners.

Negatives:

Yeo - Disposal is poor, decision making is even worse. He has so many good attributes but he doesn't seem to be utilising them at all.

Masten - Only just a negative, I appreciate his enormous pressure release running, but while everyone else today flicked off handballs with ease he seemed to do it in situations where it wasn't required. Also needs to learn he can't fend off. Hutchings as well, these two always get caught holding the ball.

Lycett - Purely for those times he thinks he's a midfielder, needs to dish off quicker at times

Jetta - Same as last week, just faded big time late, doesn't look fit but he does look dangerous when he gets the ball.

Hill - Has been down for a while, really want to believe he'll be back to his best but in a weird way I feel our forward chemistry has been at its best lately, despite him playing poorly. As we saw last year though, all of JK, Lecca, Cripps, Hill and JD can work together.
Sssrfb

Lots of stuff already covered but a couple of other thoughts from my own little thought bubble.

Positives
Our delivery by foot and hand has gone up a notch or three over the last 3 weeks. This is why we have looked so much more competitive. With ball in hand we look faster when we are chasing we look really slow. It is quick ball movement that is the difference.
Darling's little cameo in the ruck when Lycett was getting treated was enormous.
Lycett is banged up so having a week off now before finals will be invaluable to him.

Observations
Bruce the Goose suggested Jetta was carrying a bit of weight - not sure if Bruce was mentally still at the Olympics or Jetta is not 100%.
There are critical times in games when we wait for the ball to arrive. Happened a couple of times last night and cost us dearly.

Additional +

Giles has great hands (better than Lycett) in terms of directing the ball to his players when rucking.

-

Master seems to get sold into trouble a lot. Not sure whether it's him calling for it or being in the wrong place or teammates not looking closely enough at what's coming in his direction. Sometimes I actually appreciate it. He has a way of being tackled when it's just him and the opposition could break if they get the ball, where he ties it up, goes to ground and allows us to re-set. Not sure if that's a deliberate tactic or just handy uselessness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok now that i have sobered up from my post victory sip at the adelaide oval, i can give a more detailed analysis of what i saw at the ground:

Positives:

Barrass: he was sensational. His ability to judge the flight of the ball was superb and has a great ability to judge when to go for the mark and when to punch. Arguably my best on ground

Kennedy: superbly accurate. A well deserved second coleman medal coming up

Gaff: just a terrific work rate. Ran hard both ways. 41 touches. Did it all

Sheed: his bullocking work in the middle changes the dynamic of the entire midfield. His left foot passes are deceptively good. Now he just has to work on set shot accuracy

Giles: cant ask for much more from a third string ruckman. Was given an opportunity and well and truly took it this week

Neutral:

Gaff/masten: these guys HAVE to make core strength a priority over the post season. Now we can all agree that neither of these guys are even going to be contested ball animals, but the thing i noticed at the ground is that both go to ground too easily when they are tackled and both rarely make a tackle stick. This is nothing new, but its was even more obvious watching them live. Hard to fault gaff when he picked up 41 touches but i think this area is the final echelon of his game to reach.

Negatives:

Wellingham: he was awful out there. Flat out awful. He just continually blazed away with low percentage kicks from halfback and the few that actually came off were due to fantastic marks to one of our boys who have managed to pluck it. Spent the rest of the time looking like he couldnt give a rats. Made the west coast fans nervous whenever he went near the ball when they went forward. Would seriously drop

Jetta: just went you think Lewis has finally got his head around the concept of defensive pressure, he reverts to old habits. When he did actually get the ball he was ok, but he just didn't work hard enough and looks for cheap kicks.

Hill: was m.i.a, had to check he wasn't a late withdrawal at one point

Yeo: was well, well down. Needs to lift, immediately and significantly

Team: and this one goes for whole side; our boys have got into a nasty, nasty habit of waiting for a mark completely flat footed rather then moving toward the ball. Time after time, this resulted in an turnover/interception. They have to remedy this quickly.

Best win of the season last night, and to do it away from home last night was a mighty effort.

Last edited:
Butler played on betts for the most part as far as I could tell and blanketed him superbly.

Bob and Barass getting a lot of justified love but I thought Schofield also played well

Masten has his detractors but I thought he was good tonight

Our midfield looks so much better and more balanced now sheed has returned

Intensity - when we have it like the last two weeks we look neat on unbeatable

Lots of stuff already covered but a couple of other thoughts from my own little thought bubble.

Positives
Our delivery by foot and hand has gone up a notch or three over the last 3 weeks. This is why we have looked so much more competitive. With ball in hand we look faster when we are chasing we look really slow. It is quick ball movement that is the difference.
Darling's little cameo in the ruck when Lycett was getting treated was enormous.
Lycett is banged up so having a week off now before finals will be invaluable to him.

Observations
Bruce the Goose suggested Jetta was carrying a bit of weight - not sure if Bruce was mentally still at the Olympics or Jetta is not 100%.
There are critical times in games when we wait for the ball to arrive. Happened a couple of times last night and cost us dearly.

I wil give darling this: he is obviously very physically strong. Watching the game at the ground and even though he was giving away significant size and weight and wasnt out muscled in a single ruck contest

Positives: when was the last time we broke the 400 disposal barrier?
I saw it. Masten broke 1 tackle! He didn't fall to ground or get pinged (although that still happened a couple of times)
Handball happiness: loving the creative handballs opening up the opposition. Created heaps of goal kicking opportunities.
Negatives: hutchings cannot break a tackle to save his life. Gets pinged way too much and is a little on the slow side.
Wellingham: was under pressure a lot and bombed the ball when he had it. 25 touches still pretty impressive but.
Yeo: that ****ing kick when he could have hand passed to jetta screamed of stupidity. Was he trying to go for a cool creative kick? Sometimes I think he has too much figjam about him. Was not existant apart from trying to start a fight with Talia.

People slagging yeo off - he was molested - there are catholic choir boys out there actually feel sorry for him

There was one passage where he was running for the ball, hadnt touched it - it want past him and his player was actually being piggybacked by him and no free kick.

Wtf - he was trying to run with a man on his back - the ball was a mile away and no free. Noone can play under those circumstances

Negative- Barrass missing that handball and dropping his disposal efficiency to 94%.

Jayden Hunt to now get the Rising Star nomination.

My reaction when that happened

latest

Especially when i was saying "Corrrr Sexual with another hard ball get, 100%DE and... Noooooo!"

Sheed!! Huge bonus. The guy's a natural and will only get get better. Aish got some catching up to do...

With Sheed, our midfield looks far more formidable. Such a shame he missed the greater part of the year.

Yep and he just played his 3rd or 4th AFL game and is starting to gain match fitness.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

1. We now have a fresh ruck in Giles,
  2. a very good inside mid in Sheed
  3. a super skilled, quick outside mid in Jetta and
  4. to top it off Barrass gaining more confidence every week (he owned Tex Walker last night:D)coming into the side gaining form right before finals.

A lot of good players limp into finals carrying sore bodies and niggles. These four should be physically and mentally peaking.:)

Last edited:
Positive:
Back 7 were SUPERB we crushed their forward line to 7 goals and their 3 junk time goals don't count. Barrass (junior Mcgovern), the GOV, Hurn, Schofield, Wellingham and Butler (destroyed Betts)

Onball

Gaff, Shuey,and Prddis - Elite
Dom Sheed - Awesome
Masten and Hutchings was terrific

Giles - WOW pansted Jacobs

Forward Line - JK, JD, Lecras, Hill and Cripps again kicked = 11 goals superb

Negatives
Yeo - Needs to pull his finger out just 8 touches?
Darling - Could have kicked 7 goals fix your kicking man

Other than it was a great team effort great intensity.

Butler played on betts for the most part as far as I could tell and blanketed him superbly.

Bob and Barass getting a lot of justified love but I thought Schofield also played well

BUTLAAAAAAR!!!!!!!:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

He just plays that team first role week in week out and rarely stuffs up with his skills. Super solid contributor / role player but doesn't get the recognition other get.

The reason why we won Best Clubman award and should be retained for next season. More than happy to get 1 year contract extensions.

Love the Butt's. *
no homo

Positives: when was the last time we broke the 400 disposal barrier?
I saw it. Masten broke 1 tackle! He didn't fall to ground or get pinged (although that still happened a couple of times)
Handball happiness: loving the creative handballs opening up the opposition. Created heaps of goal kicking opportunities.
Negatives: hutchings cannot break a tackle to save his life. Gets pinged way too much and is a little on the slow side.
Wellingham: was under pressure a lot and bombed the ball when he had it. 25 touches still pretty impressive but.
Yeo: that ******* kick when he could have hand passed to jetta screamed of stupidity. Was he trying to go for a cool creative kick? Sometimes I think he has too much figjam about him. Was not existant apart from trying to start a fight with Talia.
Essendon r15, St Kilda r8 and Brisbane r1 the other times we've done it this year.

Who is Bob?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs. Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back