Review Positives and Negatives vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

+ Schoey, Shep, Gaff, Nic worked their ass off

- Odd season. Good sides losing often, maybe that leaves the door ajar for us. But yeah, nah, not like this Eagles. Having a crack isn’t a crime.
- JK, Darling, Cripps, Ah Chee, Cripps again unsighted. Ryan the only forward worth anything and now he’s hurt
- Brander tried hard early but the lad can’t kick, certainly not in these conditions. Make him a forward or don’t pick him until he’s ready.
- Hurn, disappointing way to fizzle out.
- Yeo, Redden, Sheed, Kelly. Shuey to a degree. Maybe turn up next week boys.

Not even going to try to dial people back this week. Have at it, you’ve all earned it.

Just a flat way to start a season, and it’s too short to afford to be flat. A statement next week or pack it up for the year.

I predicted a loss but that damn third quarter again. We can't blame the travel on this one. Effort and execution was better across the board but I'd like to see a four-quarter effort next week.

Any slippery conditions and its deja vu.

Schoey, NN and Shep were damn good.

Our midfield was unsighted. Shuey, Yeo, Sheed, Kelly had no impact and the less said about Gaff standing 10 metres off the contest getting the ball the snapping around his body the better.

Hurn looks cooked. JK and Darling were nowhere, although conditions and delivery don't help.

Brander was a mixed bag.

Hard to not see us being 1-4.

Brander ruined his early good work and Ah Chee sort of turned his game around.

Weird thing is we are capable of beating Port and the Tigers, but we don't deserve to.

The issue with Brander was that every mistake he made was such a monumental **** up. Like it literally stopped our run, all our players were going forward and the defenders were left for dead with no support.

In a weird way I thought our defence was good.

Tom Barrass was a ****ing machine, his punches were huge in number, importance and size.

Shep played great both in the air as well as when the ball hit the ground. I thought Jetta had some good plays except when he was caught on turnovers on opponents he shouldn't have been on.

Schofield doesn't intercept mark much, but when he goes for it he sticks it and all other times he successfully kills the play.

Shuey I will excuse after the physicality he put out last week when nobody else would but Kelly, Sheed and Redden were useless.

Naitanui was massively influential.

I refuse to rate the forwards too harshly until our midfield has any semblance of good ball movement. I feel like they could put any forwardline together right now and it would be useless playing in front of our mids in Queensland.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

+ve
+NicNat: had a good first half, and he was one of few that seemed hungry
+Brander: was in the game more, he did some really good things, some of his field kicking and marks underscores why we would want him on the wing. He did make some costly mistakes (mostly after he went off with a blood nose). Tonight was a step in the right direction.
+ Sheppard: was good tonight, and probably one of few to get the better of his match up.

-ve
- Kelly: has been a complete bust in the last two games. He has resorted to kicking the ball off the ground and rarely takes possession. When he does, it is a turnover or out on the full.
- Kennedy: didn't show any evidence to suggest he still has legs to keep going. Mounting evidence that he is past it.
- Hurn: Before tonight, I didn't get what people were talking about when it came to Hurn being cooked. Now I understand. The falcon. The run down tackle HTB.
- Our mids: They have no connectivity. The balance seems off and they don't seem to be able to work together.
- Tackling: Why can't we stick a tackle? and why can't we break out of any tackles? Compared to other teams, we don't seem as physically strong. Maybe we need to reassess our strength and conditioning program.
- Oscar in the ruck: Got destroyed again.

Last edited:
Do we have an actual gameplan? Not sure what it is other than kick and hope.

Kennedy's obviously done, why not use him as a decoy to drag Harris Andrews away from contests?

Hurn has looked like the end has come quick, too.

Saw a play on the boundary where Yeo had it and Gaff just stands a metre from him calling for it. Lay a ****ing shepherd. Stop looking for cheap possessions. Works hard all day but man he's ineffective.

Can u pls change the thread title to NEGATIVE AND NEGATIVES vs BRISBANE.

I could not pick out any positives of this debacle.

We shot ourselves in the foot by going to QLD and not going to VIC

There were some good things out of that game.

It was an improvement on last week, and some performances gave a glimmer that the season isn't cooked.

LOL at wanting to go to Victoria.

Didn't watch much of Rotham as a junior or in the WAFL but his two entries inside 50 during the 4th quarter (one albeit marked by allen) were pretty up and under, pretty similar to TB, does he normally kick like this?

Just another absolute lacklustre effort by our supposedly a grade midfield. Apart from Nick Nat, nobody else was sighted more than once or twice. Kelly can’t seem to pick a ball up at all and the rest can’t hit a target with even a handball.
I can’t understand people laying into Brander, sure he made a couple of mistakes but he was one of the only guys out there who actually attacked the football, took some marks and made an effort.
Our forward line is absolute rubbish at the moment. People can say that our mids weren’t delivering properly but I saw Darling in space several times not be able to take a mark on his chest. The worst thing is, Simmo looks absolutely lost. You can see it in his face and his eyes, he has no idea what’s going on and he doesn’t know how to fix it. It’s just making it look like that flag was pure luck in 2018.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Positives and Negatives vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back