Review Positives and Negatives vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

A Gaff block for Sheed in that top clip would’ve been handy. Maybe Gaff just chose the wrong guy to block.
I've got a clip of Gaff laying an awesome block for Shuey, who then runs through the middle hitting 2 targets in succession with precision passes leading to a goal. Will put it up when I'm home 👍

Nelson seems a lot stronger than he was too. He's breaking tackles/getting a disposal away in situations he was getting bundled up and conceding htb in previous years. I think that's his natural type of game and you always look better when you can play your own way.

Is its because he is stronger or is it a change of instruction / intention?

Nelson looks more attacking and now players are no longer rewarded for 'taking the tackle' per team rules.

Could be a rule change that gets more counter attacks and quicker.

All Hypothetical of course, under the present circumstances

I truly hope that kid shines in the future, I just personally have my doubts

As do I.
Kid came in with a huge regard, especially for sticky hands.
Never tore up the WAFL as we all hoped, but he probably needs another year or two at least to really smash down that door.
It's frankly dead true that big guys take a long time to develop, it's not a big hulking man's game as much anymore.
But when they come good, then it's super exciting to see.
And from our past few years of drafting & development, we've proven can turn them into very solid, if not very good players.

McGovern, one of the best defenders in the league took until 22 to really put his foot in the door (2014 season)
It took Barrass until 22 to put it together as well. Showed glimpses at 21 and 20, but only played consistently when he was also 22 (2017 season)
Lycett was 22 when he played more than 10 games a season (2014).
Rotham is about at that time where he's really starting to show what he can do after being forged in the fires of the WWE wrestling ring with the Adonis Jack Darling and Beard Ninja Josh Kennedy.
Harry Edwards will take another year or two, especially to fill out his 200cm frame.

List of players who are consistently in Best 26 and over 190cm:

Defenders: Barrass, McGovern, Rotham,
Forwards: Waterman, Allen,

Highly rated upcoming talls: Williams, Edwards, Brander

He wasnt that good last week either having 7 kicks and gaining 107 meters.

His first option is to look for a short no risk kick.
He played to an acceptable level the previous 2 weeks. Nobody expects him to do that much better in this midfield. He is filling gaps while others are injured, that is all. 2 acceptable games, 1 putrid game.

The point is, people defending him previous weeks has **** all to do with his performance the week just gone.

One positive I’ve noted of late and I’m loving his development is Liam Ryan working up the ground. He’s been a real asset pushing up to the d50, there was one bad pass but generally I’ve enjoyed it and he does the right thing.
He has brought that work rate since his debut and his defensive effort can't be questioned. It was something I didn't expect from a stay-at-home full forward at Wafl. Obviously a non-negotiable from the club, but he has bought in and full credit to him.

Watched the replay, because why not.

Gaff seems to have fully bought in to the tackling and pressure mantra. Late in the game and he's going for the body and ignoring the tendency to corral his opponents. Great to see.

Sheed's field kicking was pretty average. He can do so much better than what he dished up.

Yeo shouldn't be suspended.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's funny cause over the last couple weeks I've realised that Ryan is actually a great kick. Yes I'm late to the party but he would be one of best ball users atm going into 50. Probably doesn't have the penetration or deft touch of Rioli or shuey but he keeps it simpla and kicks to our forwards like he would like to receive it.

Petch averages 12 disposals a game at WAFL level, 1.3 goals a game. He is not a very good footballer. Not his fault as he has been sold a dream he can’t deliver on. There is 10 WAFL league players at every WAFL club that are far superior footballers to Petch.
I've been sceptical about Petch for a bit. Lifting his production is one thing but another thing is that he's a one trick pony. He needs to add many facets to his game other than speed. His footy IQ is low and his foot skills are to be desired.

Speed after a while drops. Jetta is prime example of that and you could see that decline at the end of his Sydney career. That said Jetta was able to adapt cause he was an elite ball user.

I think Waterman is best considered an oversized Lecca. Marking 3rd forward who can have a run on the wing or half back if an extra is needed.

He did an excellent job last week when dropped back. Inserted himself into the play, didn't just float around.
technically Mark Lecras was an undersized 3rd tall. Played way taller than he was.

Gaff lays a great block for Shuey, who slices through the press. Cripps lost his opponent:
View attachment 920887

Love this play. Shuey's run started within his own defensive 50.

Gaff puts the block on Grundy and a channel opens up through the corridor leading to the goal that put the team in front.

Note the supporting runners getting wide of the ball and stretching the Collingwood defence which creates space for the resultant attack through the corridor.

The speed and directness of the attack causes the Magpie zone to fail completely as defenders get caught between finding a position and finding a man. Cripps is able to turn and lead into free space, marking on the attacking side of the centre square. When he offloads back to the on-running Shuey there are four Eagles players running unchecked towards goal in the corridor against a single Collingwood defender. Meanwhile, Kennedy sees the Cripps lead and starts breaking goalward before Shuey even initiates his first kick. By the time the full back reacts he has already begun to hook around and lead into the open space before the zone can get back. The defender is caught completely out of position, leaving Shuey with the easy kick to find Kennedy for the mark and converted shot at goal.

Regarding Brander, I don't understand why we didn't just play him down back after 2018. Drafted as backmen and since 2018, we've been 2 injuries away from being exposed for KPD stocks. Can play tall but is also mobile and quick enough to play on the 185cm sort forwards.

It's too late now cause the backline seems settled but we could have fit him TB and Gov due to his mobility. I guess over time we could eventually bulk him to play a full time KPD role. Similar to Schoey's transformation from 2014 to 2015-17

Agreed. Larke medallist, WA captain and second-highest goalscorer (behind Rayner) at U18 championships in 2017. Was widely expected in the pre-draft media to be the first WA player to be selected that year, ahead of Naughton. Had been overlooked for state representation in previous years so he did not carry the hype that others had and his 192cm height at draft left question marks with some over his capacity to hold down a key position (if they had done some simple research, they would have known he had grown over 4 inches in the previous year, of course he was still growing). I remember him being the player that I wanted the most from that draft because his ceiling looked off the chart in combination with natural leadership.

I had the expectation that Fremantle were going to select him at pick 5.
Instead they doubled down on midfield and went with Cerra. With the majority of remaining clubs seemingly looking towards 2018 for key position prospects (King twins, Lukosius, Blakey, W.Kelly), the Bulldogs selection of Naughton left him available at our selection.

There was a spanner thrown into the works however. Those circumstances that led to Allen being on the table had also left another All-Australian U18 KPP being available as well - Brander. Rated as a potential number 1 pick just 12 month earlier, it was an opportunity too good to pass up - and thus it seemed that Allen was seemingly lost. Yet seven more picks passed by without a key player being selected, leaving Allen as the biggest slider of the draft and available for selection at the Eagles pick 21. An absolute steal then that continues to look better and better with every passing week.

Perfect description Dylan82. He’s easily the biggest slider from the draft - I desperately wanted him the minute I saw his highlights, and I knew that, when we took Brander, it would be a decision between Kelly and Allen. Missing out on a TK was bad enough, but if we didn’t pick up Oscar, I would‘ve burnt my house down.

Really, we would’ve never been able to get Oscar if we didn’t draft him. We have had some bad misses when it comes to WA talent, but if we overlooked Allen, that would rank among the worst.

Hopefully we’ll be able to play him as a permanent forward soon.

Extra clips 1st half:

Gaff lays a great block for Shuey, who slices through the press. Cripps lost his opponent:
View attachment 920887

Gee I bet Thomas got an absolute rocket for that in the Pies' post match analysis.
Gives Shuey the half-bump and then just gives up, coming to a dead stop before Shuey even kicks to Kennedy.

Perfect description Dylan82. He’s easily the biggest slider from the draft - I desperately wanted him the minute I saw his highlights, and I knew that, when we took Brander, it would be a decision between Kelly and Allen. Missing out on a TK was bad enough, but if we didn’t pick up Oscar, I would‘ve burnt my house down.

Really, we would’ve never been able to get Oscar if we didn’t draft him. We have had some bad misses when it comes to WA talent, but if we overlooked Allen, that would rank among the worst.

Hopefully we’ll be able to play him as a permanent forward soon.
Thing with Oscar is, have you ever seen him make a mistake or not execute something as well as he should? Very rarely, other than some shots on goal. Even in his first game or two that he played in defence in 2018.

His upside is so huge because he’s looked so comfortable right from the beginning. Might not have any standout traits but a tall playing like an experienced pro from day one is pretty good sign that he’s going to succeed.

Ideally we win this season and Kennedy retires a dual premiership triple Coleman medallist, so that we can fit in another KPF because we can’t afford to drop Oscar again because of balance

Love this play. Shuey's run started within his own defensive 50.

Gaff puts the block on Grundy and a channel opens up through the corridor leading to the goal that put the team in front.

Note the supporting runners getting wide of the ball and stretching the Collingwood defence which creates space for the resultant attack through the corridor.

The speed and directness of the attack causes the Magpie zone to fail completely as defenders get caught between finding a position and finding a man. Cripps is able to turn and lead into free space, marking on the attacking side of the centre square. When he offloads back to the on-running Shuey there are four Eagles players running unchecked towards goal in the corridor against a single Collingwood defender. Meanwhile, Kennedy sees the Cripps lead and starts breaking goalward before Shuey even initiates his first kick. By the time the full back reacts he has already begun to hook around and lead into the open space before the zone can get back. The defender is caught completely out of position, leaving Shuey with the easy kick to find Kennedy for the mark and converted shot at goal.

Kennedy’s leading patterns are so elite. As Buckley said in his press conference our forwards work so well together to create space and have done so for a long time. It’s really noticeable when you sit behind the goals

Thing with Oscar is, have you ever seen him make a mistake or not execute something as well as he should? Very rarely, other than some shots on goal. Even in his first game or two that he played in defence in 2018.

His upside is so huge because he’s looked so comfortable right from the beginning. Might not have any standout traits but a tall playing like an experienced pro from day one is pretty good sign that he’s going to succeed.

Ideally we win this season and Kennedy retires a dual premiership triple Coleman medallist, so that we can fit in another KPF because we can’t afford to drop Oscar again because of balance

Yeah I don’t know about retiring him. He looks pretty elite at the moment.

Yeah I don’t know about retiring him. He looks pretty elite at the moment.
If JK does play on, I think we'll see Jk rested at times and Oscar given the chance to play at FF. Give him a taste before he is thrown into it full time.

Also the longer he plays with the JK the more he learns off a great player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Positives and Negatives vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back