Review Positives and Negatives vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I quite enjoyed the game of Thomas Cole this afternoon. My viewing was interrupted but I didn't see him put a foot wrong. Looks good with a licence to attack.

Dominic Sheed looked a little proppy going into the last but continued gut running late into the game. He's very fit. Have we seen his ceiling yet? I'm hoping there's another level as he's just turned a corner coming into his prime years.

I wouldn't want to see a matthew richo and jack riewolt style transition. Oscar is good but if JK keeps playing like he is playing: grand ball goals are very good and tackling well then he stays and plays along side them.

We sucked at home against an average team and had two surges get us over the line. We had some very good performances but as usual far too many passengers.

Our big players got us over the line but we struggle at ground level. Good teams would have put us away during the huge stretches where gold coast had the run of play. Will end 10th - 6th for mine.

We sucked at home against an average team and had two surges get us over the line. We had some very good performances but as usual far too many passengers.

Our big players got us over the line but we struggle at ground level. Good teams would have put us away during the huge stretches where gold coast had the run of play. Will end 10th - 6th for mine.

Balls In our court, I guess.

Positives are we got the job done in tough conditions and we banked the vital 4 points. I thought Kelly was all class and Sheed and Hurn worked their backside off. Cole continues to improve as does Rotham. Allen has a very big year ahead of him.

Negatives for me are the slow ball movement, it’s easy to bag the forwards but it’s bloody hard when the mids and backs hold the movement up and stuff around with the ball. Unfortunately it looks however that this is still the plan.
Our backs guarding space could be a real issue against sides moving the ball quickly. We have to become a play on man backline.
This persistence with Petch has to go, he has no football ability and more often than not we will play a man down by continuing to pick him.

Wins a win guys, lots of improvement needed especially wth game plan, not sure that’s on the agenda though.

They are far from an average team.they now have some of the most talented kids in the land.
Our experience won out in the end.
The only negative for me was our lack of forward pressure.

What this game once again confirmed for me is that we desperately need to draft or trade in some A grade mid talent. Shuey and Redden are 30+, Gaff is 28, Yeo is 27. We have no under 24 mids who are knocking on the door. That's extremely worrying.

Positives. Watching that game was so painful it made my fractured ribs feel normal.

Congratulations Zac Langdon and Josh Rotham

Negatives. So many teams just do kick to kick against us. Especially after a minor score. They just seem to have so many unmarked players. It’s sort of embarrassing. And how many of our guys take a mark and start looking backwards and sideways? That’s even worse

* Jones > petch
* we perpetually just bomb it long into that weird spot in the forward pocket. Why?
* XON was solid. Usually happy with tiny glimpses from young players but he’s been consistent since his debut.
* Langdon showed great signs. We need a smart defensive crumber down there and hopefully Zac hold his spot.

I thought Gold Coast were very very good today. They used the large ground well, and our chip mark game style. They're a good young side on the rise, 2 years time they'll be unbeatable.

Negatives:
- with the recent rule change for standing still on the mark. It's inexcusable to kick into the man on the mark, Kennedy and Cripps caused massive turnovers that resulted in goals against. Coach killer
- 3rd quarter kicking for goal was awful, really put pressure on ourselves
- Gaff tagged but needs to find a way to get into the game
- Ryan, Vardy and Petreceulle were very quiet today, good to see them get into the game in the final quarter, particularly Ryan.

Positives
- Defenders were simply awesome today, Barrass and Hurn in AA form. But all McGov, Shep, Rotham, Cole and Nelson all had great games.
- Mids did really well today with Yeo n Shuey missing. Kelly, Sheed and Redden had great games.
- Oscar Allen is a star, should've had 5 if Darling didn't burn him.
- Kennedy and Darling both good
- Cripps and Langdon took a while to get going but were really good when they did

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My thoughts, keeping in mind I was sitting in the sun for half the game and I'm pretty sure I have heat exhaustion:
- Cripps would rather give up a kidney than a shot on goal
- Cripps and Nelson need to learn they're never going to break a tackle. Notice how the Suns players got their arms up free when they saw you about to tackle them, guys? Try that technique instead of the fend off.
- Allen unbelievably good, should have had 5 goals despite spending stints in the backline.
- Both teams looked absolutely stuffed well before half time. If I couldn't handle sitting in the sun, I can't imagine how it was to play footy in it. Stupid in most seasons - dangerous with the limited rotations this season.
- Our decision-making at times with long kicks is terrible. Players take their full time to assess their options, then bomb it long... straight to a spot where there were only Suns or we were outnumbered 3-1. There were better options 15-20m short of that spot where we at least had even numbers.
- Similarly, the support was not always there when players found themselves outnumbered. I'm thinking of Sheppard getting tackled in the centre by two Suns, while another three or four lurk around him. Behind them were his teammates, standing there presumably hoping he'll somehow break free and get a clean disposal that goes over the opposition waiting for the spill. Get in there and either give him an option to squeeze the ball out to or try and bring them to the ground and force a ball up.
- Nice to see Vardy kick a goal and his teammates get around him, but we're too tall. Replacing him with Williams won't fix that either. Hard calls may need to be made with more KPFs than just Waterman.
- Kelly's second half was great.
- Cole and Hurn very good.
- **** it was hot.

I thought Gold Coast were very very good today. They used the large ground well, and our chip mark game style. They're a good young side on the rise, 2 years time they'll be unbeatable.

Negatives:
- with the recent rule change for standing still on the mark. It's inexcusable to kick into the man on the mark, Kennedy and Cripps caused massive turnovers that resulted in goals against. Coach killer
- 3rd quarter kicking for goal was awful, really put pressure on ourselves
- Gaff tagged but needs to find a way to get into the game
- Ryan, Vardy and Petreceulle were very quiet today, good to see them get into the game in the final quarter, particularly Ryan.

Positives
- Defenders were simply awesome today, Barrass and Hurn in AA form. But all McGov, Shep, Rotham, Cole and Nelson all had great games.
- Mids did really well today with Yeo n Shuey missing. Kelly, Sheed and Redden had great games.
- Oscar Allen is a star, should've had 5 if Darling didn't burn him.
- Kennedy and Darling both good
- Cripps and Langdon took a while to get going but were really good when they did
I'm surprised it took this far into the thread for someone to mention the kicks into the motm (I think one was actually a player running past, but net result was the same and the action should be covered in reviews all players so we never repeat it).

They kicked 8 goals, of which 2 were from these turnovers.

Also, Nic's taps forward to the right in the centre were being sharked way too easily. We looked way better when he palmed it backwards (GC set up defensive, if other teams do similar we need to adjust and realise the space is at the back).

Overall a decent performance, enough to win and plenty to work on!

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thought Cole and Rotham were excellent down back. Hurn looks back in vintage form too and Barrass really came on as the match went on. Nelson solid. Sheppard dependable as ever. McGovern also.

The whole backline was the standout for me today tbh.

Thought Gov was short of a run.
Spot on with Cole & Rotham, both looked like they belonged at AFL level.

The final margin over rated our performance & Stewy Dew has a damn good team, hope they kick on.

Does anybody else think we are to tall up forward?I reckon we are,opposition just run it out far to easily..I know it's maybe because our small forwards aren't putting enough defensive pressure on,but having 3 tall forwards doesn't help things.I reckon we are unbalanced down there.

+ve

Shuey is a class act

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Positives and Negatives vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back