Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Hawthorn - Rd 8, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

A reminder: if you donate $25 or more to the GoFundMe for fellow Eagles fan AxialMat, you will receive one month of free Premium Platinum BigFooty.

Send your donation receipt to Chief to receive your free month.

Look I don't care if he doesn't go into our forward 50 it when his opponent goes into their forward 50 creating an extra 200cm man putting our most inexperienced defence in about 20 years under pressure .

He gets run off every game and creates a headache for the rest of our team

Hmm perhaps, I honestly haven't noticed how much an impact oppo rucks are having inside our 50, so I'll keep an eye on it. I understand the coaches not wanting to change structure though and backing the defenders in.

As reference, to how much damage oppo rucks actually do inside 50, here's all goals from ruckman against us:
Rd 8 - McEvoy: 0 goals
Rd 7 - Darcy: 0 goals
Rd 6 - Stanley: 1 goal
Rd 5 - Grundy: 2 goals (was an issue early)
Rd 4 - Marshall: 0 goals
Rd 3 - Lycett: 0 goals
Rd 2 - Martin/English: 1 goal
Rd 1 - Witts: 0 goals

Now I will admit that goals don't necessarily transfer to the impact an oppo ruck can have going fwd (bringing the ball to ground, allowing someone else to be free etc.), but outside of Grundy no ruck is really damaging us going forward, even looking briefly at stats last year it wasn't an issue.

I take your point that our defence is exposed right now, but they still held up very well.

No bathwater . Natanui could be the goat . He can do amazing things in the centre bounce but that is about all he has . If he could do even a bit around the ground he would be clear best in the league

Its like having an amazing full forward that only plays out of the goal square, marks and kicks goals without applying any pressure and letting his defender run off him and rebound all game .

Commentators prattle on about Nic Nat flaws that have existed since he first entered the AFL and half our board go to water and start parroting the same comments. 100% guarantee if they lauded over Nic Nat none of these trash comments would be here. Wiggle back into whatever dark corner you came from and I'll go back to watching the greatest tap ruckman of our generation.

Nic Nat >>>>> Gawn/Grundy

Hmm perhaps, I honestly haven't noticed how much an impact oppo rucks are having inside our 50, so I'll keep an eye on it. I understand the coaches not wanting to change structure though and backing the defenders in.

As reference, to how much damage oppo rucks actually do inside 50, here's all goals from ruckman against us:

Now I will admit that goals don't necessarily transfer to the impact an oppo ruck can have going fwd (bringing the ball to ground, allowing someone else to be free etc.), but outside of Grundy no ruck is really damaging us going forward, even looking briefly at stats last year it wasn't an issue.

I take your point that our defence is exposed right now, but they still held up very well.
Also Naitanui was off the ground and Grundy was resting forward. Not sure how that can be included in the tally.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Neg. Geelong kicked our arse after a promising start.
Pos. Two weeks later we have back to back wins from 50-50 games including one on the road with more key injuries.

Thinking geelong loss was line in the sand shit and players have finally bought in. Many good players to come back so who are willing to give up their spot?
Good place to be in, particularly when you are winning.

+ A win on the road, at the G. Considering its half our second side. I will take it

+ some younger guys standing tall. Petch, Sneeze, Witherden, Rotham, Edwards. Though still some guys I am not convinced about.

+ One week closer to Shuey, Yeo, Gov, Barrass, Hurn, Duggan, Ryan, Rioli coming back.

- Langdon and Cripps. Very fumbley

Commentators prattle on about Nic Nat flaws that have existed since he first entered the AFL and half our board go to water and start parroting the same comments. 100% guarantee if they lauded over Nic Nat none of these trash comments would be here. Wiggle back into whatever dark corner you came from and I'll go back to watching the greatest tap ruckman of our generation.

Nic Nat >>>>> Gawn/Grundy
Oh no did I hurt your little feelings with criticism of a an obvious flaw in natanui's game and the fact he is clearly carrying too much weight .

Are you white Knighting for natanui against people critical of him on the internet ?

Max gawn is killing it this year if you haven't noticed. He may not be as good a tap ruckman but he is better in almost every other part of the game . He is also playing 90% TOG .

BTW COX >>>>>>>>Natanui

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a very simplified view of it .

I wonder how many times has one of our key defenders had a goal kicked or mark taken by his opponent because they are covering an extra 200cms tall unattended in our forward line ?

You guys have your head in the sand if you don't think nic could be 5kgs lighter and cover more distance or spend more TOG

I wonder how many times has one of our key defenders had a goal kicked or mark taken by his opponent because they are covering an extra 200cms tall unattended in our forward line ?

You guys have your head in the sand if you don't think nic could be 5kgs lighter and cover more distance or spend more TOG
I did say it was a simple view in my post and I also said he is fair game for criticism in terms of his role where he hasn't been as good as last year.

My issue is with criticism of things outside his role.

By FAR the biggest positive is the medical team on the day finally making a decision.

Kennedy, who battled a calf injury pre-season and recently missed one match with an ankle injury, was troubled with a calf issue from early in Sunday's match but was able to play on.

"Kennedy told Fox Footy post-match that he just felt tight and the club decided to minimise the risk of further injury in the final minutes by activating medical substitute Luke Foley.

"It tightened up as the game went on and just got a little bit tight in that last quarter … not sure if I got a corkie in the first quarter," Kennedy said.

Coach Adam Simpson said the Eagles removed Kennedy from the game as a precaution.

"I think he had it from around quarter-time onwards, so I don't think it's significant," the coach said.

"But we probably thought there was a risk that if he kept playing we might make it worse."

Well how about that Batman? We didn't just shrug and send him back out there. Maybe we are finally learning. Only took half the list being injured for us to treat in game soft tissue injuries more seriously.

No doubt Nic could be a few KG's lighter. Ideally drop some upper body muscle.

But, I don't think doing that makes him an accumulator. What it may/could do is take him back the the elite pressure player he was in the early days. That said, he's had a reco on each knee so regardless of weight his agility just may never get to where it was (and TBF it is still miles ahead of most ruckmen).

I got a shocked look from someone on the weekend when I said Nic was more important to WC than Grundy is to the pies (not arguing who is the better player - as there are arguments for both - but the importance to their side). His taps speak for themselves, but his clearance game is league-leading, and his pressure is still very high (in a team that can sometimes be a little low on pressure).

All players are going to have goals kicked on them now and again - but the reality is as a team we do sometimes need to cover Nic's opponent running forward (and also know, that if we do intercept then Nic might well have a mismatch).

By FAR the biggest positive is the medical team on the day finally making a decision.

Kennedy, who battled a calf injury pre-season and recently missed one match with an ankle injury, was troubled with a calf issue from early in Sunday's match but was able to play on.

"Kennedy told Fox Footy post-match that he just felt tight and the club decided to minimise the risk of further injury in the final minutes by activating medical substitute Luke Foley.

"It tightened up as the game went on and just got a little bit tight in that last quarter … not sure if I got a corkie in the first quarter," Kennedy said.

Coach Adam Simpson said the Eagles removed Kennedy from the game as a precaution.

"I think he had it from around quarter-time onwards, so I don't think it's significant," the coach said.

"But we probably thought there was a risk that if he kept playing we might make it worse."

Well how about that Batman? We didn't just shrug and send him back out there. Maybe we are finally learning. Only took half the list being injured for us to treat in game soft tissue injuries more seriously.

We subbed him out didn't we?

Which means the doctor, at the time, had to assume his injury was a minimum of 12-days. Whilst I like the positive spin, they actually have to be careful as we could end up with a 'please explain' if it truly was precautionary.

We subbed him out didn't we?

Which means the doctor, at the time, had to assume his injury was a minimum of 12-days. Whilst I like the positive spin, they actually have to be careful as we could end up with a 'please explain' if it truly was precautionary.

The 12 day injury assumption with any sub is gone now isn't it?

It is simply an 'injury sub'. You don't want to risk an injured player, sub them out.

No presumption that they are out for a week unless its a concussion issue.

The 12 day injury assumption with any sub is gone now isn't it?

It is simply an 'injury sub'. You don't want to risk an injured player, sub them out.

No presumption that they are out for a week unless its a concussion issue.

It may have changed (not like the afl to change things mid-season :think:) - but here is the relevant part of the AFL statement (when the rule was announced):

3. A Medical Substitute can be activated immediately after it is determined a Player is medically unfit to continue to participate in the match and, due to the nature of the injury sustained, it is reasonably determined the player will be medically unfit to participate in any match for at least the next 12 days.

That said - I think the pies subbed a guy out because of gastro (which, unless something is seriously wrong, is unlikely to last 12 days), so we might be OK even if JK plays this week.

It is reasonable to assume a 100 year old key forward, who missed our last road trip with a calf injury and battled calf injuries through the offseason, will miss 12 days when he comes off for a calf complaint.

The AFL wanted to have a bet each way with this concussion/injury sub, they’ve left it open to be manipulated, but as they’ve included “reasonable” as the determining factor then they’ve got no choice but to tick off this scenario.

Should have included a guarantee in there guys, should have enforced it, but that would have been too hard so here we are.

- commentary was 2nd rate pro vic tripe today .
'

when hawthorn got back to 38 points, durbrain russell goes "and they are back in it"

Durbrain russell is the epitome of what is wrong with tv commentating today. hes an absolute dumb campaigner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Hawthorn - Rd 8, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back