Review Positives and Negatives vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

The "Reverse Cox" as I believe it's called.

Taken just before Scotty wolfed down Mainy's kids.

467135-pn-mainy-match.jpg

I think Scotty is looking a bit healthier than that nowadays. That's a positive.

I would hope so; his face looks like it is just about to explode.

Always surprizes me how some footballers let themselves go once they retire ... see M. Long, Mal Brown, Scotty Cummings .... etc.

I would hope so; his face looks like it is just about to explode.

Always surprizes me how some footballers let themselves go once they retire ... see M. Long, Mal Brown, Scotty Cummings .... etc.

They take advantage of not having their diets so restricted. Plus they're used to eating so much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was EM87 said Hurn was the biggest disappointment.

Thought he would be more imposing on games like he was when he was captain last year.

Probably can't push up the ground as much as he would like to with key injuries in the backline.

So I only just got to watch the game for the first time…

Awesome game. In general, just a great game of footy to watch. Fantastic win as well, obviously, though we do need to cool down on some of the over-top pronouncements, the really good sides do this sort of thing almost every week, and it still remains to be seen if we can do that. But it's a great stepping-stone and that's the huge positive.

- Yeo was huge in that first half. Especially the second quarter. I know he missed those two goals, but his work through the middle of the ground was instrumental in not letting the score blow out even more. As most reasoned posters thought, it was essential that he move into the middle, and it's so exciting to know that he's still got 2-3 years of genuine midfield development to go.

- By the same token, Shuey was huge in the second half, especially the last obviously. Great clutch goals, great contested work, and great one-percenters. He's been our most important midfielder for a number of years, and he still is.

- Lecras was great and one of his most complete games away from goal (though that one goal he kicked was vintage Lecras).

- Defence was epic. Schofield was huge, probably his best game in 2+ years. Sheppard fantastic, Butler important (aside from a few clangers), McGovern the greatest person who has ever lived ever, Wellingham was sublime, etc, etc, etc. Great by all involved.

- The ball movement is so, so much better under Simpson this year. It was always going to take a while, but it's definitely paying off. The ball use is better, but the speed in which we're moving the ball is the most exciting thing. Less slow movement means less long bombs into the forward line means better everything. The focus on going through the middle of the ground whenever possible is something we haven't had for a while.

- Can't be bothered posting anymore. Mostly everyone was great, and it was a great win, but we've still got a lot of work to do.

Thought he would be more imposing on games like he was when he was captain last year.

Probably can't push up the ground as much as he would like to with key injuries in the backline.

Dat glass half full -

Not noticing Hurn do as much means the load down back is being shared a lot more evenly

Have only been able to watch the replay now - AFL Global Pass, you are killing my brain - but a couple of thinks I desperately wanted to add:

1) Shuey - I was critical of him in the Dockers game, saying I felt like he'd never stand up when it mattered. Bless you for proving me wrong mate, heroics. The way he was diving over bodies to get the ball was herculean. Props.

2) Masten - FROM NOW, THAT'S HOW YOU PLAY.

Others have covered the other stuff eloquently enough - but I've been critical of these two, so felt I had to give them some love.

So I only just got to watch the game for the first time…

- Yeo was huge in that first half. Especially the second quarter. I know he missed those two goals, but his work through the middle of the ground was instrumental in not letting the score blow out even more. As most reasoned posters thought, it was essential that he move into the middle, and it's so exciting to know that he's still got 2-3 years of genuine midfield development to go.

Judd and Matera always seemed better on the run than set shots as well I guess.

Not sure I agree, he stood up in the last minute of the game when Port was throwing the kitchen sink, oven and fridge at us with some clever play that bought time and moved the ball forward (leading up to the throw in that Shuey goaled from).

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Positives and Negatives vs Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back