Autopsy Positives & Negatives: Review vs Fremantle round 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Because they are two different comparisons. Now back to your point, I am happy to dance my friend. Collingwood was founded in 1892. in their first 35 years, they won 6 flags compared to our 4. and if we make it 40 years they have 9 because they also won 28,29 and 30. Essendon only won 2 in the first 35 but considering they are 149 years old and won 16 so far they are tracking pretty well. I don't give data to suit my narrative and happy to put my hand up if incorrect but it is silly to compare 100 plus old clubs to us.

And that is why we are a laughing stock in the age 140+ Victorian community

I think all clubs will come into line eventually regardless. I believe boards find the inclusion attractive. The AFL didn't just throw it up out of no-where, it had been discussed plenty at club and AFL level before being implemented. I don't claim to know the details of Simmos contract but I'd be very surprised if there was no early termination clause at all included. Of course the details of such are unknown.
Not that I'm advocating his sacking by the way, just that people should be aware corporations at these levels do usually have options.
I think it came about because some of the clubs that were not being well run kept sacking coaches and the AFL got tired of keep having to pay for it.

The richer well run clubs like Hawthorn, Richmond and us don't have that clause.

I'd be surprised if Simmo did have an early termination clause TBH.
I just don't think we operate like that.

I think it came about because some of the clubs that were not being well run kept sacking coaches and the AFL got tired of keep having to pay for it.

The richer well run clubs like Hawthorn, Richmond and us don't have that clause.

It wouldn't be some airy fairy termination by convenience clause. There would be certain events that would trigger it (eg crimal charges etc). I think what GooseCat is suggesting is there could be performance metrics too (eg don't finish bottom 4).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wouldn't be some airy fairy termination by convenience clause. There would be certain events that would trigger it (eg crimal charges etc). I think what GooseCat is suggesting is there could be performance metrics too (eg don't finish bottom 4).
Again, I wouldn't have thought so.
I know most coaches have triggers for performance bonuses but I doubt they would have triggers (reductions) for not meeting things like making the 8 or top 4.

Yeah, if you read that Age article, the AFL has started insisting on it as a condition of the financial assistance they provide to the mendicant (mostly) Victorian clubs, because they don’t want the millions of dollars of assistance to be spent paying ex coaches to not coach. And coaches, their managers and the AFLCA are unhappy about it, because it greatly reduces the benefit of certainty you get with a longer fixed-term deal.

There’s no reason why WCE would put a similar clause in Simpson’s contract. If there’s an early termination clause in there it’d be far more favorable to him.

More of the same embarrassing tripe unfortunately.

Selected a squad that was again far too tall up forward, which created a complete lack of forward pressure that allowed a poor and injury-depleted opponent to walk out of defence through the corridor and accumulate 50 points in a single quarter.

Also once again the improvement in performance came from injury forcing a change rather than anything strategic.

Kelly went off injured and was replaced by Langdon.

With the change being not like-for-like, a shuffling of the chairs was required - Langdon went forward, Allen moved into defence and Nelson pushed up to occupy a negative role in the midfield on the defensive side of stoppages.

The resultant smaller forward line improved ball retention in attack; the third defensive tall enabled better structure against Fremantle's forwards; and the tag on Kelly (that had successfully removed his impact before the injury) was shifted to Shuey where it was far less effective, lending the Eagles an improvement in outcomes around the stoppages as well.

Which obviously leads to the question, if Kelly does not go off injured does the fightback happen at all? Without any changes this match was positioned to go the same route as that against Collingwood.

It all begs more questions than answers:
  • Why again was the forward line so tall to begin with? For multiple years now, the club has consistently performed better when it smaller in attack.
  • Why on earth was H.Edwards omitted when time and time again this season McGovern and Barrass have been shown to be awful when needing to switch between opponents? As soon as Darcy pushed forward holes started opening, as they couldn't decide whether to zone or man-mark, with the result being neither. Allen going back demonstrated clearly the value of a third defensive tall, with Fremantle having only two marks inside forward 50 after quarter time, after gaining 8 such marks in the first quarter alone.
  • Why was Kelly not moved prior to his injury? Kelly had just 1 effective disposal before his injury - he was completely tagged out from having any impact and it allowed Fremantle to win stoppage clearances 9-4 during the first quarter. Rather than retaining a situation that provided the opponent with first use of the ball, Kelly should have been shifted forward to displace the tag.
  • How is Vardy even on the list, lest selection in the first team? Worst player in the competition. Averaging less than 4 disposals from 60% time on ground. Offers nothing but a handicap to the club's midfield rotations.
  • Why omit onball rotations if there are players in the midfield who will be on reduced minutes? Both West and Hutchings were omitted when it was clear that neither Shuey or Kelly were 100% coming into this match. Of course, without alternatives to go through the middle, the team were again over-ran in the last quarter, dashing any hopes of a come-from-behind victory.

Ironically (or perhaps, poetically), this match was lost because the team could not execute with efficiency in attack. For so long the identity of this team has been how clinically it takes its chances up forward. But just 3 goals from 24 inside 50s during the third quarter is indicative that times have changed.

Indeed, it provided some unwelcome look into the future: the chaotic movement off half back without the target-hitting and decision-making qualities of Hurn; the lack of strong leads to kick to inside attacking 50 whilst Kennedy was off the ground. The holes that shall be left when these two decide that it is time I suspect will be a lot larger than many here anticipate.

Excepting twin miracles of defeating Brisbane in Brisbane and Essendon losing to Collingwood who are already on holiday, season 2021 is over for the club before finals even begin.

The salt into that wound is those finals will now likely be taking place in Perth - without West Coast.

It is the worse possible outcome that could have happened this year. The opportunity for a home Grand Final, only to miss finals entirely, and not even receive a top 10 draft pick (after F/S bidding).

I cannot recall a season from the club that has underwhelmed to such an extent as this. For sure, there have been far worse seasons, but those teams also had nowhere near the amount of talent available in comparison to this 2021 squad.

1993 perhaps - but even then the club still made it into the second week of finals.

In a year where each of the contenders look fallible, all that was required was solidity at home and competitiveness on the road. Instead we have neither - the 7-5 record in WA is the worst since 2014 and the 3-6 record away includes two 90+ point capitulations. The home draw was very soft this year, just 4 of the 12 matches are against opponents currently within the top 8. In better shape, the club could easily have gone 12-0 in Perth before finals this year - all you need then to make top 4 is just 4 wins from 10 away matches.

But these are troubled times. West Coast have now lost 5 of their last 7 matches in Perth - they had won the past 13 of 14 prior to this slump.

The current run of 12 matches in succession of scoring less than 100 points is the worst in the entire history of the club.

Suffice to say some major changes are required.

Excepting twin miracles of defeating Brisbane in Brisbane and Essendon losing to Collingwood who are already on holiday, season 2021 is over for the club before finals even begin.

The salt into that wound is those finals will now likely be taking place in Perth - without West Coast.

If WCE were top 4 & looking dangerous I seriously doubt the AFL & the Victorian clubs would have even considered a finals hub in Perth.

Just out of curiosity.... aren't Hawks best having 5 premierships?
Yeah and I always maintain that they are the only ones (Geelong too in a way) that could challenge us. Their worst periods lasted longer but they have another flag which is ultimately the aim. Toss up for me given the AFL wanted to merge them from existence and how much of an off field powerhouse we are as well as being damn near the gold standard on field. Happy to have the Hawks above us but I believe we have played finals more often and won games than them in the span. If someone said we’re second to only the Hawks on the basis of flags well, despite never getting to play Grand Finals at home, I’ll accept that because we can’t change that fact it would appear.

• Why again was the forward line so tall to begin with? For multiple years now, the club has consistently performed better when it smaller in attack.

Dylan, you SOB, I think you know the answer - and I'm only being mildy sarcastic here. Simpson doesn't want to drop either of the greatest 2 forwards in Eagles history, but wants to keep Allen happy and playing at the same time. So we get a 3 man tall foward line much like we got 3 rucks with Lycett, Naitanui and Cox. He's placating the champ whilst blooding the youngster, but if he wants to win he can't have both and needs to make the tough calls.

It was interesting to hear Simpson in his post-match interview make repeated references to missed tackles and tackle efficiency. Perhaps that penny has finally dropped with him. Perhaps players who are unwilling to tackle, or incapable of sticking them, find their positions under threat finally. Plenty of time in the off-season to work on tackling technique. They’ve got all of September off so they can make an early start. And maybe even attend a few finals at Optus to see how other teams do it.

Yeah and I always maintain that they are the only ones (Geelong too in a way) that could challenge us. Their worst periods lasted longer but they have another flag which is ultimately the aim. Toss up for me given the AFL wanted to merge them from existence and how much of an off field powerhouse we are as well as being damn near the gold standard on field. Happy to have the Hawks above us but I believe we have played finals more often and won games than them in the span. If someone said we’re second to only the Hawks on the basis of flags well, despite never getting to play Grand Finals at home, I’ll accept that because we can’t change that fact it would appear.

Hawks milked a last flag out of their 80's juggernaut, against a bunch of up and comers that went on to win flags (sounds familiar) and totally jagged one in '08. I still think that is the biggest GF upset in my time of following AFL. Their 3-peat was well earned but I'll always consider they also had good fortune to peak while the impact of the expansion sides prevented their main rivals from potentially securing a last puzzle piece of top end talent.

Hawks certainly capitalised when the opportunity presented itself along the way. We've had to build success with 3 separate generations but the dynasty of 3 flags for a group has eluded us.

It was interesting to hear Simpson in his post-match interview make repeated references to missed tackles and tackle efficiency. Perhaps that penny has finally dropped with him. Perhaps players who are unwilling to tackle, or incapable of sticking them, find their positions under threat finally. Plenty of time in the off-season to work on tackling technique. They’ve got all of September off so they can make an early start. And maybe even attend a few finals at Optus to see how other teams do it.
Need to put extra work into Floppy Sheed, he's like Rubberman?
Pump up his guns, a manly chest, a couple of sleeve tatts, and a mohawk? = Killer Dom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Positives & Negatives: Review vs Fremantle round 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back